Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

He is our best centre back if he can stay fit and keep consistency.....and there in lies the problem. Your biggest strength is your biggest weakness, those meaty lunges can be fantastic but also always looks one lunge away from the treatment table or a monumental error.
He is the only centre back we have though that can actually defend the area from crosses both in terms of strength and positioning, Lindelof played last night.....Villa would have had 3 or 4 goals from those crosses, that is the value he does bring to us

spiriticon

He's been amazing since his return but does he always have to be one Red Bull short of a red card? Leaves me shitting my pants like. Gotta be slightly more calm in his approach if he is to be a regular.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That isn't what he said though. There's a mighty grey area between being awkward on the ball and a true ball-playing CB, Bailly is somewhere in between (though yes, far closer to the latter).

He's capable of being a rock defensively at times but even if he stays fit (big ask) there are certain qualities that worry you:
  • Discipline/focus - prone to lapses in concentration and mistakes.
  • Largely plays on the front-foot and aggressively - not good in combo with Maguire who is similar.
  • Aerial duels - probably an upgrade on Lindelof as virtually anybody would be, but still a weakness.
Okay, I’ll rephrase - I don’t understand how anyone can watch Bailly and not think he is excellent on the ball.

Pace Abuser

How has no one commented on that tackle he was given a yellow? That was horrific and dangerous, should have been a red card 100%. That's why I will never be comfortable with Bailly. There was absolutely no reason for him to make that tackle at all, and he flew into it a full force.
Because it wasn't a red card? He clearly got the ball and the follow through was a bit much, so deserved a yellow. You are literally the only person to have the view you have. Even oppos haven't commented on it much on social media etc.

Pace Abuser

Okay, I’ll rephrase - I don’t understand how anyone can watch Bailly and not think he is excellent on the ball.
He is. He was great on the ball last night. He never took the easy option, made some difficult passes forward and even dribbled out from defence opening up space.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Great performance last night, almost flawless. Only criticism is when brought the ball out and it ran away from him and he lunged in, granted whistle had gone but was dangerous.

Devil81

Has all the makings of a top defender but that crazy tackle which could have been red is exactly why I fear him being the long term partner for Maguire.

He can be a liability, its as simple as that.

H10

Huseyin 10
So inspired by Bailly's performances of late, I decided to make a short compilation showcasing his funny human qualities both on and off the pitch! Hope you like it!

RedDevilzFox

Love Baily but someone as unpredictable as him can't be our long term solution at CB. Need to balance aggression with smarts.

Also, is Tuanzebe injured again? If not, why is he not seeing more game time? At 23, one wonders if he has a future here if he cannot get any game time still.

Foxbatt

Bailly is always talented and brave and has got good skills too. To me even his injuries is not a big issue. It's simply he can switch off during the most important moment. Yesterday he didn't. But we all know that in the next game he could. I hope he doesn't as its his mental focus that needs to be sorted out. If he can do that he can be a top class CB.

Grande

Has all the makings of a top defender but that crazy tackle which could have been red is exactly why I fear him being the long term partner for Maguire.

He can be a liability, its as simple as that.
Bailly is always talented and brave and has got good skills too. To me even his injuries is not a big issue. It's simply he can switch off during the most important moment. Yesterday he didn't. But we all know that in the next game he could. I hope he doesn't as its his mental focus that needs to be sorted out. If he can do that he can be a top class CB.
This is a good moment to bother writing about Bailly again. He’s played 4x90m+ in the space of less than two weeks without getting injured.

He has also been among the best performers on the pitch in all of those four games. He has, gliches included, been the best CB on the field for all four games in my opinion. That is brilliant for a back up CB. In fact, it’s only the injuries who will keep him off a starting berth if he continues on this level.

On the point about liabilities. All defenders makes mistakes every game. All defenders make mistakes that give away goals now and then. Even if a mistake looks weird, it’s not more of a problem for the team. The most important thing not to err in, is the positional play in relation to partners, and Bailly has been good at this since his return, better than Maguire even.

These four games, against decent opposition, we have let in three goals (in itself an improvement on the average this year). If I’m going to hang them on mistakes made, I will point to Bruno, McTominay (first vs Leicester), Pogba (2nd) and Wan-Bissaka, Fred and McTominay (v Villa). Neither of these are problematic as a liability, with the exception of Pogba, because he creates chances for the opposition more often than Bailly even as an attacking player. If he can stay on the left wing from now on, we’ve got another back-up sorted. If Bailly keeps this up, we can afford a gaffe every once in a while.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This is a good moment to bother writing about Bailly again. He’s played 4x90m+ in the space of less than two weeks without getting injured.

He has also been among the best performers on the pitch in all of those four games. He has, gliches included, been the best CB on the field for all four games in my opinion. That is brilliant for a back up CB. In fact, it’s only the injuries who will keep him off a starting berth if he continues on this level.

On the point about liabilities. All defenders makes mistakes every game. All defenders make mistakes that give away goals now and then. Even if a mistake looks weird, it’s not more of a problem for the team. The most important thing not to err in, is the positional play in relation to partners, and Bailly has been good at this since his return, better than Maguire even.

These four games, against decent opposition, we have let in three goals (in itself an improvement on the average this year). If I’m going to hang them on mistakes made, I will point to Bruno, McTominay (first vs Leicester), Pogba (2nd) and Wan-Bissaka, Fred and McTominay (v Villa). Neither of these are problematic as a liability, with the exception of Pogba, because he creates chances for the opposition more often than Bailly even as an attacking player. If he can stay on the left wing from now on, we’ve got another back-up sorted. If Bailly keeps this up, we can afford a gaffe every once in a while.
He's a perfect foil for Maguire IMO. His pace on the cover is exceptional and he can jump. 2 things Lindelhof can't do

Andersons Dietician

As crazy as his defending can be at times he just brings a smile to my face with some of the daft things he does on the pitch.
Flying bicycle kick to clear it when you could easily head it clear, must be Bailly, under preasure from 3 attackers with no room for error, should head it away, nah I’ll chest control it and take it down, must be Bailly. Ball lands at your feet in 6 yard box under preasure, should probably just boot it, nah let’s do some fancy pirouette. Must be Bailly.

He is just mental. I do agree with what a lot have said in that, I simply don’t trust him to be consistently good, never mind very good. He can be somewhat rash at times and overly aggressive but sometimes he puts it all together and looks like a proper CB. Just don’t trust him.

That block in the dying moments, I don’t think any of our other defenders gets to that or even tries what he did to be honest. He just throws everything at it.

Irrational.

If he stays fit, we may have just saved ourselves £80 million. You can see what the players think of him too. Really hope he establishes himself in the side - if he develops any kind of consistency there’s no way Lindelof is getting back in.

Chief123

So inspired by Bailly's performances of late, I decided to make a short compilation showcasing his funny human qualities both on and off the pitch! Hope you like it!

Bailly is an absolute mad b@stard, but that’s why I love him. A crazy mother plucker.

DoomSlayer

Amazing video, I absolutely adore the mad lad. :drool: Such a likeable guy as well!

The way Bailly manhandled Vardy and Shaqiri had me dying. :lol:

Jaykespeare88

Its crazy but I love his cruyff turns and body feints. Shows confidence and composure, then he'll upend a player with his arse 5 ft in the air, long may it continue.

Sylar

Good compilation. And to think there's probably more out there haha

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Love Baily but someone as unpredictable as him can't be our long term solution at CB. Need to balance aggression with smarts.

Also, is Tuanzebe injured again? If not, why is he not seeing more game time? At 23, one wonders if he has a future here if he cannot get any game time still.
Not sure if serious. Did you not watch the game last night to see Tuanzebe come on as sub?

H10

Huseyin 10
Good compilation. And to think there's probably more out there haha
No doubt! Will make another if I come across any more. No doubt he will br giving us some more gems if he plays more

ReallyUSA

Do we sit him for the FA Cup? I know Ole is going hard at City to get over his semifinals hump.

croadyman

Still got this horrible feeling he will be back on the bench when Lindelof gets fit

mikel

I think he's far and away the most talented defender they have. Needs a little polish here and there to be sure, but he can be a rock back there for years. Lindelof is a sub if Bailly stays healthy and keeps some discipline on rash challenges.

stevoc

As crazy as his defending can be at times he just brings a smile to my face with some of the daft things he does on the pitch.
Flying bicycle kick to clear it when you could easily head it clear, must be Bailly, under preasure from 3 attackers with no room for error, should head it away, nah I’ll chest control it and take it down, must be Bailly. Ball lands at your feet in 6 yard box under preasure, should probably just boot it, nah let’s do some fancy pirouette. Must be Bailly.

He is just mental. I do agree with what a lot have said in that, I simply don’t trust him to be consistently good, never mind very good. He can be somewhat rash at times and overly aggressive but sometimes he puts it all together and looks like a proper CB. Just don’t trust him.

That block in the dying moments, I don’t think any of our other defenders gets to that or even tries what he did to be honest. He just throws everything at it.
Yeah he needs to cut the bonkers stuff out of his game and learn to keep it simple. I thought it kept it fairly simple the other night (simple for Bailly anyway). But if he can stay fit and well not be so mental then he really could be a very good centre back.

Redlyn

Yeah he needs to cut the bonkers stuff out of his game and learn to keep it simple. I thought it kept it fairly simple the other night (simple for Bailly anyway). But if he can stay fit and well not be so mental then he really could be a very good centre back.
Not that I wouldn't like that but at this stage what you see is what you get. It's just his natural game. If he needs to think about his actions instead of following his instinct then he's not making that last second block. It's like asking Bruno to cut out risky passes. What you get is a safer but less effective player.

Gordon S

A part of me wants him to cool down just a little bit, to not risk red cards and injuries to him self and others, but i kinda love the crazy guy just as he is as well. Hard to decide

Status
Not open for further replies.