Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

Actually he was injured already after the Fulham game, and that’s why he didn’t make it to the bench when we beat Liverpool int he cup.

Ole was alternating Lindelof and Bailly. Lindelof played the bigger teams and Bailly weaker. It was a smart thing to do as Lindelof needed extra recovery after a match because of his back injury, and Bailly has never been able to stay fit so plenty of recovery makes sense for him as well. Both of them played well imo. Then Bailly got some minor injury after Fulham and didn’t even make it to the bench in the next game va Liverpool (which Lindelof was planned to play anyways). After that came Sheffield and he was mostly likely going to start but had a car accident and Axel started. He was back at the bench for both Arsenal and Southampton but now he must have got some new injury as he is injured according to Ole. The strange thing is he didn’t play vs Southampton but maybe not fully recovered. The other matches sense.
In the past, since his long term injury, he did some really odd and laughable mistakes as if he has lost every meaningful factor to be a qualified ManUtd CB. But his run of the games lately has shown he hasn’t, instead, he seemed more matured and played with great composure. We should start using him as Maguire’s partner. He is the only one who can throw his body in time.
Bailly needs to take care of himself more to be injured free.

A-man

In the past, since his long term injury, he did some really odd and laughable mistakes as if he has lost every meaningful factor to be a qualified ManUtd CB. But his run of the games lately has shown he hasn’t, instead, he seemed more matured and played with great composure. We should start using him as Maguire’s partner. He is the only one who can throw his body in time.
Bailly needs to take care of himself more to be injured free.
Agree he has looked much more solid this season, except the Spurs game. If one prefers him or Lindelof is a matter of taste I guess. I don’t think throwing ones body is the most important quality, and prefer Lindelof, you think Bailly is better. both have been pretty good lately. In the end however, we can never build a partnership including someone who can’t stay fit. It’s better he is an injury substitute and kept for rotation. That will at least make it easier for him to stay fit.

city-puma

Agree he has looked much more solid this season, except the Spurs game. If one prefers him or Lindelof is a matter of taste I guess. I don’t think throwing ones body is the most important quality, and prefer Lindelof, you think Bailly is better. both have been pretty good lately. In the end however, we can never build a partnership including someone who can’t stay fit. It’s better he is an injury substitute and kept for rotation. That will at least make it easier for him to stay fit.
Lindelof has wonderful work ethic and a really good skillset as a modern CB. My biggest concern is his lack of game reading capability. Our first two goals conceded were all due to it.

Chief123

Ole was alternating Lindelof and Bailly. Lindelof played the bigger teams and Bailly weaker. It was a smart thing to do as Lindelof needed extra recovery after a match because of his back injury, and Bailly has never been able to stay fit so plenty of recovery makes sense for him as well. Both of them played well imo. Then Bailly got some minor injury after Fulham and didn’t even make it to the bench in the next game va Liverpool (which Lindelof was planned to play anyways). After that came Sheffield and he was mostly likely going to start but had a car accident and Axel started. He was back at the bench for both Arsenal and Southampton but now he must have got some new injury as he is injured according to Ole. The strange thing is he didn’t play vs Southampton but maybe not fully recovered. The other matches sense.
I know Bailly fitness has been an issue but recently he has been fit and not selected. Benched instead.

The problem is when all are fit, Ole still sees Lindelof and Maguire as his first choice defenders. Everyone can see we are clearly vulnerable in defence when them two play together. They just don’t give you any confidence that we are solid at the back. What doesn’t help is the fact that they have “good” games at times which makes it look like we don’t have a problem at the back. But this only works when we choose to play deep and play on the counter like we did at anfield. We are able to mask their weaknesses in those games which makes it look hunky dory and we have no issues. But as soon as we need to play higher up the pitch and the opposition has any kind of pace in attack, we have glaring weaknesses with Maguire and Lindelof. It’s unacceptable to be in a situation where we can’t afford to push up just because of our two centre backs possibly getting exposed.

stevoc

Actually he was injured already after the Fulham game, and that’s why he didn’t make it to the bench when we beat Liverpool int he cup.

I’m really wondering what injury he has now.
Edit: it was a fresh injury. From Daily Mail:

Bailly has suffered a fresh injury in training and will have a fitness test on Saturday morning to see if he can face Carlo Ancelotti's Everton.
Oh ok what was the injury after the Fulham match?

So injured 3 times now in the last month or so. Might be time to start talking about Eric being in the same boat as Jones, just can't be relied upon.

dev1l

So injured 3 times now in the last month or so. Might be time to start talking about Eric being in the same boat as Jones, just can't be relied upon.
Sad but true.

A-man

I can’t find the source now, but Ole said Bailly had some minor injury but would be fit for Liverpool. He also said his intention was to play Victor. But Bailly wasn’t fit on match day and Tuanzebe made it to the bench instead.

A-man

I know Bailly fitness has been an issue but recently he has been fit and not selected. Benched instead.

The problem is when all are fit, Ole still sees Lindelof and Maguire as his first choice defenders. Everyone can see we are clearly vulnerable in defence when them two play together. They just don’t give you any confidence that we are solid at the back. What doesn’t help is the fact that they have “good” games at times which makes it look like we don’t have a problem at the back. But this only works when we choose to play deep and play on the counter like we did at anfield. We are able to mask their weaknesses in those games which makes it look hunky dory and we have no issues. But as soon as we need to play higher up the pitch and the opposition has any kind of pace in attack, we have glaring weaknesses with Maguire and Lindelof. It’s unacceptable to be in a situation where we can’t afford to push up just because of our two centre backs possibly getting exposed.
Bailly has had some good games, some ok and some poor this season. It’s hasn’t really been any high lines and domination football when he’s been playing. It’s been us grinding out victories by one goal against the weaker teams in the league. So I think we can forget that illusion.

It’s not about Bailly being dropped. Bailly was a bench player who came in when Lindelof was injured. When Lindelof was fit, Ole alternated between them, and Lindelof immediately played really well against some big teams. Bailly also played well until his last game which was poor, and then he’s been injured. I don’t see anything strange that he hasn’t played more.

A-man

Lindelof has wonderful work ethic and a really good skillset as a modern CB. My biggest concern is his lack of game reading capability. Our first two goals conceded were all due to it.
I think in general his game reading is one of his top-3 abilities. First goal, AWB was 70 yard up the pitch, since there was no DM around Lindelof had to take the flank and Maguire the centre. Nothing wrong there. And I'm not sure what you mean with the second goal, how that is poor reading of the game?

A-man

Apparently he’s been out recently because he injured his shin “in a minor car crash”. WTF?
He was back from the car crash injury, sat on the bench for two matches. Now there is another injury he picked up at training.

city-puma

I think in general his game reading is one of his top-3 abilities. First goal, AWB was 70 yard up the pitch, since there was no DM around Lindelof had to take the flank and Maguire the centre. Nothing wrong there. And I'm not sure what you mean with the second goal, how that is poor reading of the game?
I watched the replay again. You are right. My memory of those two moments are incorrect. Those two moments are simply because our front and midfield players were all playing high up, but the defense three (Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof; AWB was in the attacking position) were not high enough. As a result, there were a huge space between McFred and the defense three. That’s where Everton exploited. For instance, the first goal conceded, it’s Davis run to that space and skipped the last-ditch blocking attempt from McT and enter a even bigger space to pass for Calvin-Lewis to run behind. For the second goal conceded, it’s around the top of our half. There was a huge space behind McT. They did the similar thing to find the left channel and produced cross. Our whole defense with three at that time was fully shifted to our right side to cover it. Lindelof’s header saw the ball crossing over to the other side.
Now, when I rethink the whole game, I feel we were probably too excited to attack Everton from every possible moment. However, we didn’t keep a high line with the compact shape. That’s the cause we failed in those two moments. If it’s pool, they will definitely playing a high line to make the offside traps to eliminate the opponent’s counter attack.
In short, I made an unfounded criticism of Lindelof.

A-man

I watched the replay again. You are right. My memory of those two moments are incorrect. Those two moments are simply because our front and midfield players were all playing high up, but the defense three (Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof; AWB was in the attacking position) were not high enough. As a result, there were a huge space between McFred and the defense three. That’s where Everton exploited. For instance, the first goal conceded, it’s Davis run to that space and skipped the last-ditch blocking attempt from McT and enter a even bigger space to pass for Calvin-Lewis to run behind. For the second goal conceded, it’s around the top of our half. There was a huge space behind McT. They did the similar thing to find the left channel and produced cross. Our whole defense with three at that time was fully shifted to our right side to cover it. Lindelof’s header saw the ball crossing over to the other side.
Now, when I rethink the whole game, I feel we were probably too excited to attack Everton from every possible moment. However, we didn’t keep a high line with the compact shape. That’s the cause we failed in those two moments. If it’s pool, they will definitely playing a high line to make the offside traps to eliminate the opponent’s counter attack.
In short, I made an unfounded criticism of Lindelof.
First half, I thought we played one of our best halves this season. That, plus the 9-0 confidence probably made us think we were immortal. With hindsight, it was very naive and unprofessional. We were up 2-0 against a good team with some very good attacking players, and we didn’t close down the midfield. At the first goal they just ran through our midfield. Then in the end it was obviously a mistake from DDG, but Maguire was left unprotected which is not ok at a 2-0 lead.

Brad2020

He was back from the car crash injury, sat on the bench for two matches. Now there is another injury he picked up at training.
Injured again?

He's a great player, but unfortunately.....too injury prone.

Now we know why Oli sticks with (Lindelof/Maguire)

A-man

Injured again?

He's a great player, but unfortunately.....too injury prone.

Now we know why Oli sticks with (Lindelof/Maguire)
Yes according to media he picked up an injury during training and there is a question mark if he can join tonight or not.

If he doesn’t play much he might stay fit and be a good substitute but it is impossible to build something with a CB getting injured so often.

city-puma

First half, I thought we played one of our best halves this season. That, plus the 9-0 confidence probably made us think we were immortal. With hindsight, it was very naive and unprofessional. We were up 2-0 against a good team with some very good attacking players, and we didn’t close down the midfield. At the first goal they just ran through our midfield. Then in the end it was obviously a mistake from DDG, but Maguire was left unprotected which is not ok at a 2-0 lead.
Yeah, very shocking from the team’s point of view. The team was completely shocked by the way we conceded the first goal, and didn’t recover until we conceded the second.
TBF, the team has not be trained to play the risky high line as well as pool does. Thus, we should have played a little bit low box to see out the period just after conceding the first. It’s actually what Jose likes the team to play with “control”. (Make no mistake, I hate how Jose wants us play in general).
I think we lack a leader probably. But, still, if DDG didn’t produce the nonsense for the first and the third (the goal kick directly went to the center rather than side of the pitch), we had already proudly earned all three points.

Brad2020

Yes according to media he picked up an injury during training and there is a question mark if he can join tonight or not.

If he doesn’t play much he might stay fit and be a good substitute but it is impossible to build something with a CB getting injured so often.
Well then, it saddens me to say this...but if United get a new center back this summer, they might want to consider selling Baille as he's entering into his prime.

Sylar

Shame and sad, but selling him would make sense. We cant rely on him and he seems to always give us false hope. I mean he plays really really well at times, but then seems to disappear (or has one brain fart then disappears)

stevoc

Shame and sad, but selling him would make sense.
Sad indeed because theres a good player in there somewhere if he can stay fit and stop being so reckless and rash. But he can't be relied upon, Maguire isn't the best defender we've ever had but he's highlighting just how important it is to have reliable defenders who don't get injured every time they trip over a blade of grass. So for me his time is up we should sell him now while he's still relatively young and with a decent amount of time left on his contract for a few million.

We cant rely on him and he seems to always give us false hope. I mean he plays really really well at times, but then seems to disappear (or has one brain fart then disappears)
Much like some of his biggest fans whenever he is once again injured. Only to reappear every time he manages 3 games in a row to tell us he's not really injury prone. He's just had a series of unfortunate injuries these last few years.

He was the best defender in the PL a few weeks ago (according to some on here! :lol:).

unfortunately it looks like the cycle is repeating itself. So predictable

What good is a player who can’t be relied upon?

Hughes35

Can be fantastic on his day and was brilliant recently. Just does not seem able to stay fit. Such a shame.

It's not even like Phil Jones where he looks unfit. Bailly looks like he takes care of himself.

Sylar

Sad indeed because theres a good player in there somewhere if he can stay fit and stop being so reckless and rash. But he can't be relied upon, Maguire isn't the best defender we've ever had but he's highlighting just how important it is to have reliable defenders who don't get injured every time they trip over a blade of grass. So for me his time is up we should sell him now while he's still relatively young and with a decent amount of time left on his contract for a few million.

Much like some of his biggest fans whenever he is once again injured. Only to reappear every time he manages 3 games in a row to tell us he's not really injury prone. He's just had a series of unfortunate injuries these last few years.
Really thought this would be the chance this year especially the way he was being rotated with Lindelof, that it might do him a world of good. Shame really.

Kag

Cycle of injury has returned, as we all predicted. He’s quietly gone missing for what is probably approaching a month now. Waste of everybody’s time.

Brad2020

That is a good point on Maguire! Maguire plays literally every game, not just Premier matches, but Championship matches, FA cup, EUROPA, Caraboa, and has yet to pick up a major injury.

It's why I'm not to critical of Maguire, the guy never gets a rest.

A-man

That is a good point on Maguire! Maguire plays literally every game, not just Premier matches, but Championship matches, FA cup, EUROPA, Caraboa, and has yet to pick up a major injury.

It's why I'm not to critical of Maguire, the guy never gets a rest.
He’s quite unique in that sense. Probably the only in the team that also plays Championship matches :)

Maguire playing every game is imo not a good thing. We tested without him vs PSG and it actually went well. He needs to rest and we must be prepared for the day he picks up an injury.

Dominos

Is there any rationale as to why he can't get in the team? Is Ole watching our defensive performances without him and thinking it's all going fantastic and there's no need to try something different?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Is there any rationale as to why he can't get in the team? Is Ole watching our defensive performances without him and thinking it's all going fantastic and there's no need to try something different?
Apart from being made of biscuit, I can’t think of any. He’s clearly a far better player than lindelof who is one of 3 players costing us goals each week.

arnie_ni

Isn't he injured, again?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Our good performances over Christmas coincided with Bailly being regularly available. I am not saying he's the second coming of Cannavaro but does he get bullied as easily Lindelof today? Does he heck.

Dominos

Apart from being made of biscuit, I can’t think of any. He’s clearly a far better player than lindelof who is one of 3 players costing us goals each week.
The injuries excuse only makes sense if he's actually injured though.

He's sat on the bench today.

Status
Not open for further replies.