Eric Bailly image 3

Eric Bailly Ivory Coast flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

led_scholes

The Liverpool reserves second choice left back goes for £20m, we're barely getting half that for an international class footballer. We've been run like a circus for so long, these clubs don't take us seriously.
Is the £20m player on high wages, injury prone and 28 years old? Bailly averages 10 games per season the last 4 years. And its not like he is a Nesta or King level of talent that a club can justify paying alot for him despite the injuries.

Alemar

I totally don’t understand why many people are unhappy with Bailly reportedly leaving? We have 9 (nine) centre backs at this point, whereas we only play two at a time.

Martinez
Varane
Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Jones
Mengi
Fish

The first three will definitely share most of the games if fit, so we may easily dispose of at least four other CBs

Oranges038

I totally don’t understand why many people are unhappy with Bailly reportedly leaving? We have 9 (nine) centre backs at this point, whereas we only play two at a time.

Martinez
Varane
Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Jones
Mengi
Fish

The first three will definitely share most of the games if fit, so we may easily dispose of at least four other CBs
Because he's the best centre back in the club for 2 out of the 15 games a season he's available for. The rest of the time he's either injured or channelling his inner Paul McShane.

He's been here 3 or 4 years too long already. Time to go, he will not be missed one bit.

A-man

Martinez
Varane
Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Jones
Mengi
Fish

I agree. A big problem with a senior CB as fifth choice is that there are never any opportunities to develop the young talents. Maguire and Lindelof are the only ones who can stay fit, so they stay. Varane was great in the past and hopefully he can stay fit now with a proper pre season. Martinez is totally untested in PL and has only faced PL a few times with Ajax. No matter how it goes, he will probably get a lot of game time as he is a little bit of prestige transfer for ETH.
Bailly, Axel and Jones should leave.

Based Adnan

Guys 28 years old and 5th choice CB. Zero desire to go out and actually play football. Just happy to sit on the contract.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Guys 28 years old and 5th choice CB. Zero desire to go out and actually play football. Just happy to sit on the contract.
I don't get this line of reasoning. Good player to have on the bench then. Is it just jealousy?

Based Adnan

I don't get this line of reasoning. Good player to have on the bench then. Is it just jealousy?
Yeah jealousy must be the reason I want him out the club.

Not the fact he's not good enough, is an injury magnet who's played 39 games in the last 3 seasons and went AWOL halfway through last season whilst on international duty.

As fifth choice CB he won't even make the bench. There's zero value for the club in keeping him around and for a 28 year old footballer I don't think criticizing them for being happy to sit back on a contract and not play games is harsh.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Not giving this guy a chance this season is a big mistake.
My thoughts exactly.
We're sticking with Maguire and Lindelof, who, as a pair, I've never had a lot of faith in.
Martinez will take some time to adjust to the EPL.

Idxomer

My thoughts exactly.
We're sticking with Maguire and Lindelof, who, as a pair, I've never had a lot of faith in.
Martinez will take some time to adjust to the EPL.
Physical and doesn't get bullied and can actually progress the ball with purpose.

The way he gets discarded by his managers is weird.

TsuWave

I'd start him alongside Varane against Liverpool.
This is exactly how his career here has been sabotaged. Off for long stretches then randomly thrown in the deep end in big fixtures with a team low in confidence - and when disaster happens people will try to use it to justify him not being in the squad/or why he should be sold.

Think of the game against PSG, game against Spurs, etc.

jem

This is exactly how his career here has been sabotaged. Off for long stretches then randomly thrown in the deep end in big fixtures with a team low in confidence - and when disaster happens people will try to use it to justify him not being in the squad/or why he should be sold.

Think of the game against PSG, game against Spurs, etc.
I'm at the desperate-times-call-desperate-measures stage, and if I recall correctly, he's actually had some good games against Liverpool.

Hulme91

I'd start him alongside Varane against Liverpool.
Two players who are incapable of playing five games in a row without picking up an injury
Not exactly the basis for a consistent CB pairing

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is he fit to play? I'd give him another shot. At least he has pace and generally doesn't get bullied by opponent forwards.

jem

Two players who are incapable of playing five games in a row without picking up an injury
Not exactly the basis for a consistent CB pairing
There’s no basis for anything with this lot.

Bobski

Bailly is very capable of going out against Liverpool and dominating, also of course capable of a disaster class, play Bailly and Lisandro for shits and giggles, would be rubbish in the air but the aggression and intensity would be fun.

Andrew Richmond

Honestly, if I were manager and he is fit he would be the first player on the team list. The guy has his well documented flaws but I truly believe fit and well he is our best option in the centre of defence.

Andersonson

Are we back on the Bailly enigma again? This time just 2 games in, that's a record!

Jesus Christ you lot

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Are we back on the Bailly enigma again? This time just 2 games in, that's a record!

Jesus Christ you lot
I'd quite confidently state that if we started Bailly over Maguire we'd win more games than we do with Maguire starting.

Maguire makes a mistake every game, Bailly just every now and again. He'd never give Toney that much space for the 4th goal that's for sure.

Andersonson

I'd quite confidently state that if we started Bailly over Maguire we'd win more games than we do with Maguire starting.

Maguire makes a mistake every game, Bailly just every now and again. He'd never give Toney that much space for the 4th goal that's for sure.
Sure. Bailly is always the answer. Every season.

And the earth is flat

arthurka

I would put Martinez in the deep midfield role, Varane and Bailly at the back. First and foremost get Shaw up in the stand, but not to close to the mince pies and chips.

FerociousCorgis

how do we still have players like this taking up space on wage bill. No wonder ours is so ridic high. Wonder if he fancies the championship next season

lex talionis

In all seriousness, if Bailly and Maguire were on offer to United and we had to pick one of the two -- no fecking around with a third alternative -- it would clearly have to be Bailly.

Maguire is shattered and isn't coming back to his Leicester City form any time soon, if ever. Bailly is injury prone and he is capable of mistakes, but he's not a disaster on the ball and he's got vastly more pace than Maguire.

stevoc

And yet we're onto the 4th manager in a row that doesn't seem to rate or trust him.

Why do you think that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.