g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

manutd7

If we can sign him for between 40-50 mil I would be very happy with him. Think he is a very versatile player that has a lot of passion for the game. He's young, English, athletic and has a lot of other positive attributes. I still think there are other midfielders we could sign that I would prefer, but I wouldn't be unhappy at all with the signing.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Offering him a new and greatly improved contract, which he gladly signed, does not equate to "treating him badly", nor does starting him in pretty much every match.

And nor does refusing to sell him when he has 4 years left on his contract - even assuming that he wanted to leave. Contracts cut both ways.
Good points.

One thing I will say though, is Glaston seems to believe that players don't ultimately decide where they go no matter the length of their current contract. They absolutely can be kept an extra year against their wishes and we have seen cases of this, but when a player wants to leave they always get there way within 12 months.

It's simply he nature of the relationship. It's not worth keeping an unhappy player long against their wishes. It doesn't make sporting or financial sense.

That is not to suggest any of Spurs best players want to leave currently. It's just to say that Spurs are no different to any other club on the planet.

Red_Orchestra

Don't know why everyone is writing him off as he cleary has a very high ceiling. He'd make a really good anchor man or shielder for us who would easily handle the defensive duties and free up both Pogba & Herrera.

Dier is a solid role player with loads of potential who will grow even further.
We're really missing a Hargreaves type of player, so I'd very much welcome him here.

Besides that, outside of Matic, Ndidi, Fabinho etc, Dier is probably the only realistic option available. So you have to take whatever is available at the moment.

Classical Mechanic

Good points.

One thing I will say though, is Glaston seems to believe that players don't ultimately decide where they go no matter the length of their current contract. They absolutely can be kept an extra year against their wishes and we have seen cases of this, but when a player wants to leave they always get there way within 12 months.

It's simply he nature of the relationship. It's not worth keeping an unhappy player long against their wishes. It doesn't make sporting or financial sense.

That is not to suggest any of Spurs best players want to leave currently. It's just to say that Spurs are no different to any other club on the planet.
I made a thread a while back about the unsustainability of Spur's wage structure and how players will start to want to leave this summer.

Levy can either start paying players their market value or start letting them leave when they want. If he fails to do both he will simply poison the well of his own team and performances will suffer on the pitch.

The smart money says that Spurs are skint or poor in Premier League terms due to their stadium move so it seems to me he has one sensible option.

Red_toad

Don't know why everyone is writing him off as he cleary has a very high ceiling. He'd make a really good anchor man or shielder for us who would easily handle the defensive duties and free up both Pogba & Herrera.

Dier is a solid role player with loads of potential who will grow even further.
We're really missing a Hargreaves type of player, so I'd very much welcome him here.

Besides that, outside of Matic, Ndidi, Fabinho etc, Dier is probably the only realistic option available. So you have to take whatever is available at the moment.
I'd wager Ndidi would be available for a lower fee, sure he's commented about wanting to play for United. As what will be a critical position for United next season, the thought of taking whatever is available doesn't come across as appealing. United need to be in for the best player for the role. Personally would like to see Axel given the chance, I'd say he's ready for regular gametime, he's an outstanding young player.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
This has the feeling of the typical deadline day United-Levy saga.

Only in favor of this move if we offer the money quickly, and if Spurs refuse, move on to other targets. We can't waste time negotiating with that cnut.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So it says in the article that Spurs have told United that they don't want to sell him at all and it's Dier who's pushing for the move due to double increase in wages. Don't think this is going to happen.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As far as player quality go, I don't want him, I think he's distinctly average player who doesn't deserve the 50m price tag, would rather have Matic, atleast he has shown genuine world class pedigree(although in 1 and half season)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We seem to think we'll sign him just because he wants the move.
How we've made other plans.

Zed 101

One big thing in fav our of getting Dier is his nationality, like it or lump it, I feel it is important for us to have a strong English (British) contingent of players, unlike Arsenal and Chelsea it has been part of our identity, not something which should be disgarded lightly.

Looking at next season we have Rashford, who may or may not be a starter, but will probably see reduced playing time to last season, Carrick who is winding down, Smalling, Jones and Shaw none of whom are guaranteed to be first choice, most likely not if Bailey an Lindelof are fit, and if rumours are anywhere near accurate that we are on the hunt for a new left back.

Dier can be a very good player, not sure he has shown a consistency to hit the heights but he is still young, it is reasonable to think he will improve, he is also pretty much guaranteed an England spot.

Marketing wise and for the moral high ground the more players we get into the England team the better, right now there are not that many great English players out there that would improve our squad. Has Dier reached the pinacle of DM players yet, no, but he has potential, does he improve our team, yes.... and £50m would probably be mostly offset by the decent image rights we would gain.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How are so many people happy with £50 million for Dier but not Perasic. Perasic is worth closer to that value than Dier who frankly is pretty average.

Pass and Move

I'd be so underwhelmed by this signing, I simply don't think he's a particularly good footballer. If he was 3 or 4 inches shorter I don't think he'd be anywhere near a top 6 team.

Needham

Got the feeling this summer that we are going to successfully buy players their current clubs are very content to sell.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Not worth the 50m quoted but would still do a decent job as DM, only 23 so can improve a lot. The potential for earning more money and a chance to win trophies is plain to see why he would want to leave Spurs. Would rather have Fabinho or Matic in the squad but wouldnt be disappointed with signing Dier.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think there's only about 8 players in world football who people appear to rate on here.

Judas

Open to offers
A lot of people would be holding their hands up and admitting they got it wrong if we signed him, certainly in the long run.

If only he was called Dierinho.

Kostov

How are so many people happy with £50 million for Dier but not Perasic. Perasic is worth closer to that value than Dier who frankly is pretty average.
Dier is 23, Perisic is 28, that's a five year difference. By all accounts both of them are not worth the prices quoted, but Dier could offer a longer service to the club, and is pretty young and could improve. Perisic at 28 has probably reached his potential and this is his peak, plus he's a winger and as soon as his physical attributes decline he's done, yes there are players like Robben and Ribery but he's not even close to their talent. Perisic could offer us 2-3 years max while Dier could be hear 10 years since in his position he could adapt his game much more then a winger, in my opinion.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
Imagine spending hundreds of millions on building a new team with the ambition of joining the elite (Bayern, Barca, Madrid) and end up with Eric fecking Dier as the cog in the engine room.

It'll be the first time ever that I've been genuinely sickened over a new signing if this goes through.

Drainy

The biggest kick in the nads about signing him for £50m is that Fabinho would be cheaper and is a better passer, crosser and has an eye for a through ball that lukaku would thrive on.

Dier comparatively is just a brick wall with a long pass.

AndyJ1985

The biggest kick in the nads about signing him for £50m is that Fabinho would be cheaper and is a better passer, crosser and has an eyer for a through ball that lukaku would thrive on.

Dier comparatively is just a brick wall with a long pass.
You should email Jose your scouting report so he can see the error of his ways.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Dier is 23, Perisic is 28, that's a five year difference. By all accounts both of them are not worth the prices quoted, but Dier could offer a longer service to the club, and is pretty young and could improve. Perisic at 28 has probably reached his potential and this is his peak, plus he's a winger and as soon as his physical attributes decline he's done, yes there are players like Robben and Ribery but he's not even close to their talent. Perisic could offer us 2-3 years max while Dier could be hear 10 years since in his position he could adapt his game much more then a winger, in my opinion.
Yeh presumed it was age. Honestly people are too obsessed with age. Perasic is a far more proven player that would have an impact on our season from day one. Dier could potentially do that but I'm not convinced by him at all. 30 is the new 27 and Perasic as easily got 5 years in the tank

SirAF

Ageist
I'd quite like Dier - either way if Jose wants him that's good enough for me.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Imagine spending hundreds of millions on building a new team with the ambition of joining the elite (Bayern, Barca, Madrid) and end up with Eric fecking Dier as the cog in the engine room.

It'll be the first time ever that I've been genuinely sickened over a new signing if this goes through.
If only this Jose fella knew as much about football as you mate :(

Nick7

Yeh presumed it was age. Honestly people are too obsessed with age. Perasic is a far more proven player that would have an impact on our season from day one. Dier could potentially do that but I'm not convinced by him at all. 30 is the new 27 and Perasic as easily got 5 years in the tank
It's Perisic.

Drainy

You should email Jose your scouting report so he can see the error of his ways.
We all know that Jose is quite a regressive coach. He denies the opponent their game plan and then creates a strategy for winning from there.

Perhaps at CDM Fabinho is undisciplined for the role as Mourinho sees it.

GBBQ

I'd quite like Dier - either way if Jose wants him that's good enough for me.
Yeah considering the money we have to spend and wages we can offer its not like we're shopping in the bargain basement. If Mourinho has chosen Dier, its after copious scouting for a player who will fit his formation.

We all know that Jose is quite a regressive coach. He denies the opponent their game plan and then creates a strategy for winning from there.

Perhaps at CDM Fabinho is undisciplined for the role as Mourinho sees it.
There's a ring of truth here, it seems. I think Jose needs to take risks in building, and I like the way he's going about building the spine for the long term.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think we are after him because we want to sell one or two of the English guys and to fulfill the homegrown/English player quota he is the most attainable target and I guess Jose rates him. That's just my view
You have a wrong view though, considering that he doesn't count as homegrown. And we already signed a homegrown player in Lukaku.

el3mel

A lot of people would be holding their hands up and admitting they got it wrong if we signed him, certainly in the long run.

If only he was called Dierinho.
I have to agree. Fabinho is good no doubt about that, but people here are one step away from starting to compare him to Roy Keane and Vieira it's crazy. He's not the only DMF in the world that can cut the ball and pass it up front.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
If only this Jose fella knew as much about football as you mate :(
We should close down the forum then.

Obviously there's no topic that's worthy of discussion as Mourinho is infallible and all of his decisions are obviously correct.

iportman

One big thing in fav our of getting Dier is his nationality, like it or lump it, I feel it is important for us to have a strong English (British) contingent of players, unlike Arsenal and Chelsea it has been part of our identity, not something which should be disgarded lightly.

Looking at next season we have Rashford, who may or may not be a starter, but will probably see reduced playing time to last season, Carrick who is winding down, Smalling, Jones and Shaw none of whom are guaranteed to be first choice, most likely not if Bailey an Lindelof are fit, and if rumours are anywhere near accurate that we are on the hunt for a new left back.

Dier can be a very good player, not sure he has shown a consistency to hit the heights but he is still young, it is reasonable to think he will improve, he is also pretty much guaranteed an England spot.

Marketing wise and for the moral high ground the more players we get into the England team the better, right now there are not that many great English players out there that would improve our squad. Has Dier reached the pinacle of DM players yet, no, but he has potential, does he improve our team, yes.... and £50m would probably be mostly offset by the decent image rights we would gain.
BS , we had a strong English / Irish / Scottish/Welsh contingent when there were English/Irish /Scottish /Welsh players of a caliber good enough to play for Man Utd , there are very few now that fit that criteria , certainly not Dier .Of all the home country's only Bale would add to what we have .Some of what we have such as Jones , Smalling and Shaw are no more than squad players at best and are probably on their way out over the next couple seasons .

GazTheLegend

How underrated is Dier on here!

Fabinho has an exciting name and all but Diers been fantastic every time I've watched him play. Not sure why people are suggesting they'd be "physically sick" if he joined or whatever.

i will say it's moot anyway, Levy simply won't sell to us. The Tottenham players might sulk for a few months but they'd soon forget it when the season starts.

It's NEXT summer that the well might be poisoned. If Spurs have a poor season there will be an exodus -eventually-, you just can't keep players happy when they might eventually feel they're being basically ripped off by Levy. But one more good season - and a wage rise for their performers, including Dier - and that will cement them as a proper side.

Hawks2008

Would legitimately prefer fellaini to start in midfield for 38 games than waste money on Dire. If we're gonna have a dirty lumbering player on the field we might as well use the one we've got. We told Madrid to feck off for trying to fleece us but we're gonna let Spurs do the same?