Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

SammyUnited_83

That's exactly what Casemiro did, the only difference is he wasn't bought for 50m. Fee is completely irrelevant to how a player performs

Also if you think Dier has had 2 average seasons you must be a troll. Dier was sensational the season before last, Spurs went from 7th to almost winning the league. That doesn't happen with 'average' players in the team. Look how much we've struggled without a true DM could Spurs have done that well without one either?
You are also getting a player who can play centre back, which is a huge bonus, especially if it means getting rid of Jones / Smalling.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
You are also getting a player who can play centre back, which is a huge bonus, especially if it means getting rid of Jones / Smalling.
We have loads of CBs and some very promising young ones so it's a small bonus at most, and Dier looks more comfortable in midfield.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
£50m for a DM should be getting you a peak Xabi Alonso or at least somebody on that sort of trajectory in terms of quality.

We all know Eric Dier ain't getting near that level.

It's not that I don't think he wouldn't do a job for us or fit into Jose's system, it's the lack of ambition it'd signify.

sincher

Xabi Alonso was a different type. We are not really looking for a passer/playmaker, we need an anchor.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
So perhaps 2 in what 10 years? It really isn't good enough, when you see the talent at other clubs who have been snapped up for peanuts.

I appreciate you can't sign everyone, but missing out on players like Alli, to then probably go after them for 10x what you could have got them for is fecking ridiculous.
Agree completely, we have terrible terrible scouts.

SammyUnited_83

We have loads of CBs and some very promising young ones so it's a small bonus at most, and Dier looks more comfortable in midfield.
We have lots of promising players, yet still are spending 100's of million every summer. If Tuanzabe (as an example) was that highly rated why spend £70mil ish on 2 relatively young centre backs? Same with TFM, those guys, at the rate we are spending, we be lucky to get anywhere close to 3-5 starts.

MUFC OK

Hope we stay far away from him. An average player for me. Anyone who is a fan of his can you answer why, if Dier is such a good/solid CDM Pochettino felt the need to buy Wanyama and play him next to him.

I would say it's becuase Dier isnt good enough to anchor the midfield on his own. Added to this, the fact that we would have to pay £50-£60m for him and I would really much rather we gave Fosu mensah his chance in that position.

sincher

We have lots of promising players, yet still are spending 100's of million every summer. If Tuanzabe (as an example) was that highly rated why spend £70mil ish on 2 relatively young centre backs? Same with TFM, those guys, at the rate we are spending, we be lucky to get anywhere close to 3-5 starts.
True but we haven't started selling yet. I like Tuanzebe, and Williams. TFM I am not sure about.

Saf94

Almost winning the league in the 3rd place 11 points behind Leicester, full of average players who have actually won the Premier League you mean?

A true definition of 'sensational' indeed.
Yes the Spurs who were miles ahead of City, Arsenal, Chelsea and us and who played scintillating football all season, ran the league leaders very close staying within a handful of points for most of the season. All that after coming 7th the season before. And then repeating the whole performance but doing even better the next season (unlike Leicester who just had a freak season). And Dier being an indispensable cog in that team.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
True but we haven't started selling yet. I like Tuanzebe, and Williams. TFM I am not sure about.
Agree, TFM has the potential and attributes but so incredibly raw and he isnt getting polished either. He is rash, lacks positional sense and that's a very bad combo. Tuanzebe and Williams have the right skillset I think to make it here.

Jinn

It's quite possible we are trying to fill in the English quota.
Rooney out, Dier in.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Remember how much everyone moaned when we signed Carrick in 2006?

Remember how much everyone moaned about how shit Carrick was from 2006 till around 2011, 2012?

SammyUnited_83

I like Tuanzebe and Williams (though I have seen less of the latter). But if they are still at the club in 2 years I will be shocked, not because of their talent, but because, they just won't get in above Bailly and Lindelof.

The frustrating thing is Tuanzebe came in and looked good last year, and who knows, could have been the answer instead of Lindelof - it's not like he had to come in and replace a Vidic / Rio ala Pique and Evans.

Yet even after these good performances he is shunted down the pecking order, so what's the point of even having an academy. I'm not against buying Dier or Perisic, but for £90mil combined, for 2 'solid' players, surely we have an academy good enough to produce players of this caliber...

TrueRed79

There are countless players who, if we were linked to them, would be underrated around here "a bit like Carrick". The vast, vast majority of them would not turn out to be successes like Carrick did. It's a flimsy comparison.

I also don't see how he would be a typical Ferguson signing. He's not much like any of the midfielders we had under SAF.
You have clearly rarely watched Dier play. Just quoting my post and poking holes in it for some strange reason. Maybe because the "underrated like Carrick" irks you for some reason. He is very much in the mould of Carrick/Fletcher/and maybe Butt at at stretch, in terms of tacking and being a good reader of the game.

sincher

I like Tuanzebe and Williams (though I have seen less of the latter). But if they are still at the club in 2 years I will be shocked, not because of their talent, but because, they just won't get in above Bailly and Lindelof.

The frustrating thing is Tuanzebe came in and looked good last year, and who knows, could have been the answer instead of Lindelof - it's not like he had to come in and replace a Vidic / Rio ala Pique and Evans.

Yet even after these good performances he is shunted down the pecking order, so what's the point of even having an academy. I'm not against buying Dier or Perisic, but for £90mil combined, for 2 'solid' players, surely we have an academy good enough to produce players of this caliber...
I basically agree with this. Just doesn't seem to be Mourinho's way, building a team for the future by bringing on a young player and putting up with the odd bad game. He wants it all now. At least we seem to be buying young.

Too early to assume Lindelof will definitely be a success though, and we might well sell some CBs too.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yes the Spurs who were miles ahead of City, Arsenal, Chelsea and us and who played scintillating football all season, ran the league leaders very close staying within a handful of points for most of the season. All that after coming 7th the season before. And then repeating the whole performance but doing even better the next season (unlike Leicester who just had a freak season). And Dier being an indispensable cog in that team.
Leicester actually won the league, were 11 points ahead of the amazing Spurs, that's after escaping the relegation the previous season. Think we should go for Drinkwater then, indispensable, actually won something, actually a homegrown, English lad, academy product.

I mean, what can go wrong.

Bojan11

Remember how much everyone moaned about how shit Carrick was from 2006 till around 2011, 2012?
He plays nothing like Carrick.

Carrick was a deep lying playmaker for Spurs. Diers job is to win the ball and give it to the better players. So the Carrick comparisons should stop as they are nothing alike in terms of abilities.

Smoking_Owl

He was pretty average from 2006 to 2011. He had a couple of really good seasons and then returned to being average again since. He's been living off of those couple of good seasons for a while now.

R77

£50m for a DM should be getting you a peak Xabi Alonso or at least somebody on that sort of trajectory in terms of quality.

We all know Eric Dier ain't getting near that level.

It's not that I don't think he wouldn't do a job for us or fit into Jose's system, it's the lack of ambition it'd signify.
How does an extrememly succesful manager spending big on a key player from a rival team signify a lack of ambition? Do you think Mourinho's thinking "Meh, can't be arsed. 4th will do, let's have Dier then" ? What qualifies as 'ambition' in this context?

Smoking_Owl

How does an extrememly succesful manager spending big on a key player from a rival team signify a lack of ambition? Do you think Mourinho's thinking "Meh, can't be arsed. 4th will do, let's have Dier then" ? What qualifies as 'ambition' in this context?
£50m should only be spent on a player that either is elite or has the clear potential to be elite.

It signals a lack of ambition with regards becoming an elite team. It just feels all wrong tbh.

Jinn

He plays nothing like Carrick.

Carrick was a deep lying playmaker for Spurs. Diers job is to win the ball and give it to the better players. So the Carrick comparisons should stop as they are nothing alike in terms of abilities.
I don't think there was a comparison between the player's playing style, just a comparison of the reaction from the fans when both players are/were linked with us.

William_Meredith

Supports
Swansea City
He was pretty average from 2006 to 2011. He had a couple of really good seasons and then returned to being average again since. He's been living off of those couple of good seasons for a while now.

True. Carrick's 'legendary' status appears to be an acute case of selective memory and general sentimentality for the good times. Nothing wrong with that, as even his staunchest defenders realise he can't be relied upon as a starter now, but slinging £60m at a 'decent' midfielder who can put a foot in as a replacement seems like folly.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don't know enough about him, but if Spurs wouldn't be willing to sell Alli and the like to us (assuming, because we aren't buying them), why are they willing to sell Dier? Because it's good money for him and they can get an upgrade?

Is this implying that people shouldn't moan because he might turn out really useful but still not world class in about 5 years? Or justifying the moaning?

AP88

Supports
Man City
Hope we stay far away from him. An average player for me. Anyone who is a fan of his can you answer why, if Dier is such a good/solid CDM Pochettino felt the need to buy Wanyama and play him next to him.

I would say it's becuase Dier isnt good enough to anchor the midfield on his own. Added to this, the fact that we would have to pay £50-£60m for him and I would really much rather we gave Fosu mensah his chance in that position.
Wanyama was an absolute bargain that they couldn't afford to pass up on; Dier was also versatile enough to allow them to go to a back 3. Even now if they sell Dier, signing Wanyama has allowed them to generate circa £40m to reinvest into strenghthening other areas of the squad. That's how clubs like Dortmund and Atletico have grown, and Spurs are clearly following that blueprint to gradually establish themselves at the top of the league.

Mourinho, Pocchettino and Xabi Alonso rate him highly. Enough said.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
£50m should only be spent on a player that either is elite or has the clear potential to be elite.

It signals a lack of ambition with regards becoming an elite team. It just feels all wrong tbh.
£50m will not get an elite player in todays market.

Not sure what everyone has against Dier, I know he's not a fancy player but he's good at what he does and young.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Don't know enough about him, but if Spurs wouldn't be willing to sell Alli and the like to us (assuming, because we aren't buying them), why are they willing to sell Dier? Because it's good money for him and they can get an upgrade?

Is this implying that people shouldn't moan because he might turn out really useful but still not quite world class in about 5 years? Or justifying the moaning?
Maybe because Dier wants to leave whereas others don't want to?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Why would Woodward brief about Dier when we know how difficult a deal this would be to pull off? Perhaps it really is a smokescreen?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So we don't know where he'd be fitting in? It sounds like Herrera's position to me but he isn't an upgrade? There's plenty of room for an ability upgrade on him but not much for passion. So we'd basically have a less motivated Herrera?
Or he's a Fellaini replacement (hopefully).

Maybe because Dier wants to leave whereas others don't want to?
I guess. Aren't they all on a crap wage though? Can't be that hard to lure one of them away can it?

izec

He signed a contract extension in September and now wants to leave. It would have been more intelligent to wait

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Now I see what I did in the Lukaku thread. Folks, I apologize.:angel:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not sure what everyone has against Dier, I know he's not a fancy player but he's good at what he does and young.
I think this is the problem. We have plenty that are alright at what they do, and some that have potential. We need better right now. I'm not saying we shouldn't get Dier as he may be a useful addition to the squad, just that that may be why people aren't over the moon with the link.