g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

romufc

He won't last 18 months at United because of the board and the players.
What a pathetic post.

What about the players and the board?

You do realise that Cavani, Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Henderson will leave this summer and potentially Bailly, Jones, Martial which is 9 players out.

The board which you talk about is what the Ed Woodward board or the newly shaped board?

bosskeano

What a pathetic post.

You do realise that Cavani, Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Henderson will leave this summer and potentially Bailly, Jones, Martial which is 9 players out.

The board which you talk about is what the Ed Woodward board or the newly shaped board?
every player on that list bar Henderson deserve to leave the club b/c they are shit(maybe exception of Cavani)....ETH needs to bring in at least 4-5 quality players and i'm talking 4-5 guys that will be either automatic starters or first guys off the bench. Then you mix in the likes of Hannibal, Garner, Elanga and Shoretire to balance out the squad.

Giggsy13

No I agree with Ralf's brutal assessment, just laughing at the notion of us having to bring in up to 10 players, just highlights the absurdity of the situation we find ourselves in.
It is absurd isn’t it? Yesterday’s result barely registered a response from me. Just a few years ago I’d be in a rage but now it’s just meh we’re shite. I have to say I do enjoy seeing the players getting their pants pulled down rather than the manager. It’s time to restore power to where it should be, no player is bigger than the club.

Smithy89

What a pathetic post.

And what about the other charlatans like Maguire, Rashford, Bruno, Lindelof, Shaw, Mctominay, AWB and the list goes on.

Okay, he'll last 2 and a half seasons, is that better? No manager in world football will succeed at a club run like United.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
And what about the other charlatans like Maguire, Rashford, Bruno, Lindelof, Shaw, Mctominay, AWB and the list goes on.

Okay, he'll last 2 and a half seasons, is that better? No manager in world football will succeed at a club run like United.
The 'charlatans' you've mentioned are actually good players just playing below where they should be.

As for the second point - 'succeeding' will depend on what the aim is. I would wager the first seasons aim would be to establish a playing identity and aim for top four, second season would be to aim for a domestic trophy and to get to knock outs at least in Champions league if in it, and third would be to achieve a competitive league title challenge.
However, if the board are not as ambitious then the threshold to 'succeed' would be lower and easier to achieve, in which case he will last longer.

The changes being implemented should allow the new manager to settle in quickly and we should be seeing the benefits of these changes within two to three seasons.

Gonçalo Motta

I don't envy him and the job he has to do for the next few seasons.

After Sir Alex retired, the rebuilding job was going to be hard enough and now he pretty much needs to undo all the damage done since then and rebuild a completely new squad from scratch.

From a long term project point of view, only Bruno, Sancho and De Gea have the quality to be in the squad. The rest of the team either isn't good enough or completely checked out from the club ages ago.

romufc

That is obviously a lie because Fergie succeeded.

Joseunited

The changes are happening, you just don't want to take notice.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Eredivisie is rather strange, ajax have dominated all season long, scored an ungodly amount, conceded so little and still are only 4 points ahead of the the next team.

romufc

every player on that list bar Henderson deserve to leave the club b/c they are shit(maybe exception of Cavani)....ETH needs to bring in at least 4-5 quality players and i'm talking 4-5 guys that will be either automatic starters or first guys off the bench. Then you mix in the likes of Hannibal, Garner, Elanga and Shoretire to balance out the squad.
I agree but we also have to be realistic. We are not going to sell 20 players this summer.

We need to make sure we get rid of all the deadwood and replace the non performing players with good first team options. Like you say, balance with the youth.

L1nk

Reckon this might be announced tonight or tomorrow

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We are nowhere near Klopps first year at Liverpool. Brendan had them challenging for the title.
We are more like Arsenal post-Emery. It’s a back to square 1 job, rip it all up and start again.
I disagree. The Liverpool that challenged the title under Brendan had Agger, Gerrard, Suarez, and Sterling plus fit Sturridge in the squad Those are their top 5 most important players in that title race. But those players left before Klopp came so Klopp was left with a big mess. As bad as ours now or probably Klopp had it worse since he didn't even have a proven winner like Varane at least.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s got a lot of work to do with this squad… excited to see who his transfer targets are going to be. The league is about to get a lot harder aswell with city signing haaland… think we’re about 3/4 years away from winning the league. The scousers are like a machine and city are signing a player in a position that they needed more then anything els.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I disagree. The Liverpool that challenged the title under Brendan had Agger, Gerrard, Suarez, and Sterling plus fit Sturridge in the squad. But those players left before Klopp came so Klopp was left with a mess.
It's not all about names but also mentality, tactical strength and culture. Liverpool having challenged a few years before playing spanking attacking footy showed that mentally and tactically they had reached a good hight. That doesn't evaporate with people leaving even if they didn't do so well in terms of results. We are a mess in every way. I could list that we have Ronaldo Varane etc but it's about more than that. We expect to get battered against our rivals. It's a lower low.

AjaxNL

Ten Hag is a class manager. I definitely think he will be a success at United, although he won't make you title contenders any time soon. He is a class manager, not a magician. Think there are only a few players currently at the club that deserve to be here. If I can be bothered, I will write a more elaborate post tonight about why I think he will be a success here.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Ten Hag is a class manager. I definitely think he will be a success at United, although he won't make you title contenders any time soon. He is a class manager, not a magician. Think there are only a few players currently at the club that deserve to be here. If I can be bothered, I will write a more elaborate post tonight about why I think he will be a success here.
Personally, I think that your input would be welcome here. So go ahead and chime in when you are able to.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Looking forward to it.

Gonçalo Motta

Charlatans? Seriously?

Some of those players you mentioned either carried the team at some point or were one of the best players. Bruno and Shaw are 2 of those examples.
I do agree that Maguire, Mctominay and AWB aren't good enough for Man Utd, Rashford just doesn't care anymore and Lindelof is good enough to be a sub since he works decently well with the right pairing.

When there's this kind of negativity and criticism surrounding the club for this long, it's normal that some players either completely checkout or their performance drops, especially when you have players like Maguire that look like they are doing their absolute best to drag the team down to his level. He is not the only issue but he is one of the main ones since I feel like the team has 0 trust in him as a cap and as a player.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's not all about names but also mentality, tactical strength and culture. Liverpool having challenged a few years before playing spanking attacking footy showed that mentally and tactically they had reached a good hight. That doesn't evaporate with people leaving even if they didn't do so well in terms of results. We are a mess in every way. I could list that we have Ronaldo Varane etc but it's about more than that. We expect to get battered against our rivals. It's a lower low.
What you are forgetting is that Gerrard was their captain, Agger was their vice captain, Suarez was highly ambitious of player that he chose to leave when they failed to win it. Those are their most focal players in the dressing room which held the team's winning mentality. If their only focal players that challenged the titles in that season left then how can you say the squad still has the same mentality, tactical strength, and culture? Klopp was left with deadwoods and lot of poor mentality players.

bosskeano

I agree but we also have to be realistic. We are not going to sell 20 players this summer.

We need to make sure we get rid of all the deadwood and replace the non performing players with good first team options. Like you say, balance with the youth.
no doubt...i don't expect a massive firesale but i do think you're going to see 8-10 guys leave the club this summer either on their own free transfer or getting sold to help raise funds for guys that ETH wants at the club

his style of football will not suit some of these guys who are currently under contract and we might be able to raise money by selling them

This is where we are so far behind Liverpool and City. ETH MUST bring in players that suit his mentality, culture and style of football. That is the only way United will return to being a legit challenger for title.

ETH MUST be like Klopp or Pep in that everyone knows he's the Leader, he runs with an "iron" fist and he MUST find a player or two that will take up that ownership within the squad. End of the day, no manager can win or survive without players who are self motivated to be the best and demand the best from his mates. We need a Keane, Gerrard, KdB, Viera type of guy at the club that players respect and players will follow as they are guys that lead by example.

When your best player is your hardest worker only then do you have a team that will compete.

OverratedOpinion

We are clearly trying to restructure.

I have my doubts too but honestly none of us know how it will work out. As much as I don't rate Ragnick as a coach, he is mostly lauded as an executive and Murtough does seem to be placing trust in him. It is all a bit new at the minute so let's see.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
My dream ETH signings to stop UTD from falling away from the top any further:

Timber, Antony, de Ligt, de Vrij, FDJ.

One can dream right?

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
My dream ETH signings to stop UTD from falling away from the top any further:

Timer, Antony, de Ligt, de Vrij, FDJ.

One can dream right?
I actually thought about it seriously. Except for De Light, this was the list I came up with.

Timber ,De Vrij and Varane will sweep the back 3.

Red_toad

I'll take it you're not up to date with all the people being pushed out behind the scenes at United? There are big changes happening, the Managers will always get huge investment, the right Manager will turn things around, he will be backed by the club over the players, I'd say the club has learned expensive lessons with Jose & Ole.

mav_9me

Comparing the Liverpool team which Klopp got vs Ten Haag now is simple. While we may have more talented players on paper, their effort levels and work rate in that team was miles better than our nonexistent effort.