Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Delano

Yep. They are far better than us. Nowhere near. Dumped us out of the CL as well.
Is their potential better then us? We spend so much time downplaying our club it's untrue. We're not playing well, our team is awful, but on what planet does a manager or a player turn United down for RB?

If he does, good for him, but I'd be amazed.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Is their potential better then us? We spend so much time downplaying our club it's untrue. We're not playing well, our team is awful, but on what planet does a manager or a player turn United down for RB?

If he does, good for him, but I'd be amazed.
On this planet. We also don't have any positive potential with this ownership and board. Smart ones will steer clear. We are all about history and there's no evidence based on recent years that we are a serious football club.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He is hardly going to overtake Dortmund, let alone Bayern with Leipzig, don’t know why he would like to go there. If it’s not us he’ll surely wait for some other bigger opportunity than Leipzig.
I don't think he will go there but overtaking Dortmund would not be out of the equation. They are losing Haaland, Witsel, Can(?), Reus is really getting on like Hummels. Noise about Akanji not being happy, Brandt can be good then very average the next game. Reyna and Bellingham are their future stars but we all know Jude will be in the PL in a year or two.
Given a good budget he could clearly do it. But i'm sure it's bs and he's already agreed to join United.

Idxomer

There's no reason for Leipzig to sack their manager who saved their season after Marsch.

C3Pique

You go to RB, you go to a club which would pay you less, has less exposure, less budget, you sell your best players etc. Its a stepping stone club.
It could be a stepping stone to a huge club like Real or Bayern though. Managing us is pretty much career suicide at this point.

CraftySoAndSo

They read the caf ridiculing that they couldn't even name the German club and then named Leipzig :lol:
Surely if they were looking for easy clicks and to stir the pot they'd of said Dortmund. Because Leipzig only appointed Tedesco a few months ago and has done well including getting a very good result over Dortmund a few weeks ago.

It's odd because it makes no sense to make up Leipzig links but also weird if it is true since they've recently got a new manager who's doing quite well.

United in sin

Same with Martin Jol. The last job for both didn’t quite work but the initial ones they did well with.
The last job is the one that counts isn't it? Especially since the last two for these particular managers were considered step ups. They both lost stock in England but could re-emerge. Same thing with Espirito Santo after success with Wolves and failure with Spurs. Mulensteen didn't get any offers in England after failing at Fulham

Idxomer

It could be a stepping stone to a huge club like Real or Bayern though. Managing us is pretty much career suicide at this point.
Not really, as it didn't really destroy any of the last 4 permanent managers' careers despite their failures.

CM

This unnamed Bundesliga club does sound like a massive bluff but I do like that ten Hag is making demands of the club.

We need a manager who has presence and who will be respected by the players. If more control gives him that the club should absolutely agree to it.

Kaos

Not really, as it didn't really destroy any of the last 4 permanent managers' careers despite their failures.
I think its safe to say Solskjaer won't be getting any offers from a club in Europe's top leagues, but again you'd rightly argue he should never have managed us.

Idxomer

The last job is the one that counts isn't it? Especially since the last two for these particular managers were considered step ups. They both lost stock in England but could re-emerge. Same thing with Espirito Santo after success with Wolves and failure with Spurs. Mulensteen didn't get any offers in England after failing at Fulham
But them being dutch had nothing to do with their failures, or do you think they failed because of their nationality?

SAFMUTD

The only way I see Ten Hag choosing Red Bull over us is if he asked for certain control and the board didn't agreed.

Looking how we've been managed the last 10 years it's not surprising if a promising manager wants to skip us if he doesn't think he'll be given enough power to impact the team in the way he wants.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
No way he goes to Leipzig over Man United. One is a step down, the other a step upwards. Even if there's a muddy puddle on that upwards step in which you'll sink in with your shoes.
Also, he already turned down Leipzig in the past.

Idxomer

I think its safe to say Solskjaer won't be getting any offers from a club in Europe's top leagues, but again you'd rightly argue he should never have managed us.
I will give you Ole, but it's not like his career was going anywhere with Molde. Being a United manager will remain the highlight of his career. It's not something he will ever regret.

crossy1686

career ending
No way he goes to Leipzig over Man United. He already turned down Leipzig in the past.
You would think so, he'd only look to leave Leipzig for Bayern in a few years anyway. United could be career defining work for him if he want's the challenge, and I'm sure Leipzig would still hire him if the United job goes to shit anyway.

IhabX7

Like anyone with an atom of ambition would choose Leipzig over United.

dubplate warrior

The leaks are briefings from ETH's camp to pressure United to accept his sporting demands. Personally I'm delighted he is taking such an approach, it let's us know how serious United are and if we can genuinely be hopeful of any meaningful change moving forward.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Think he means that they sign who he wants, not who they fancy. Like any manager he will give them a list of options and like any manager he will expect them to be competent enough to deliver off that list. He will want to be consulted regarding who he wants to keep regarding contract extensions etc. He will not do the negotiations he will leave that to the club. All he wants really is to coach, but wants the club to give him the tools to do it successfully. If they will not do that we are well and truly fecked.
That's not common practice at top clubs at all. A manager doesn't provide his own list of options. At most, he'll provide player profiles for what he thinks the squad needs. Then the scouting apparatus gets to work to deliver options, and eventually, the top ones make it to high-level discussion within the club.
Klopp has a huge command on who to buy and who not. Do you think Liverpool under klopp would go and buy a Ronaldo when they would need a cb. Pep gets his players more often than not and if not you won't see them spending crazy money on back up choices unless Pep says so.
Consequently, that 'huge command' is largely limited to setting profile priorities and having a larger voice (possibly a veto) at those final discussions.

After all, the whole point of a well-structured DOF system is to not let the coach be the main voice in recruitment, to safeguard continuity and a more holistic outlook.
Think this is more ten Hag and his agent putting pressure on United to accept his terms.
I doubt it. If Ten Hag wanted to do that, he wouldn't just bat every media question away and provide 'tactical' responses instead. I think it's rather journalists desperately trying to create stories.

C3Pique

Moyes had to go to Sociedad because no-one else would touch him and is only rebuilding his reputation now at West Ham.
LvG didn't get another top level management gig until the NT turnstile came round again.
Mourinho has been on a downward slope ever since he left.
Ole doesn't even have a management career left to speak of after Ray Finkeling it here.

Can any of these guys say their time here didn't harm their reputation?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's not common practice at top clubs at all. A manager doesn't provide his own list of options. At most, he'll provide player profiles for what he thinks the squad needs. Then the scouting apparatus gets to work to deliver options, and eventually, the top ones make it to high-level discussion within the club.
As a tactically ambitious coach I could see Ten Hag demand some kind of veto right. Signing an expensive player, who doesn't fit his football idea could cause endless headaches for him. Arguably the club needs to commit very hard to his ideas for things to work out well.

phelans shorts

I mean, I definitely wouldn’t count his unsuccessful job at Fulham as a step up from Spurs a few years earlier tbh. He did better in the bigger job.

sparx99

He was never very good with the ball at his feet but he looked a lot less bad because 7 or 8 years ago there much less expectations on keepers to be comfortable on the ball.

He was always able to hit an accurate long pass out wide and can still pull this off, given enough space and time. What he never did was to look like an extra defender when we’re passing the ball round the back. At ease on the ball, making and receiving passes on either foot, instantly aware of the best passing option and relaxed when getting closed down. That’s the expectation from top keepers now and he’s being shown up by far better ball players in goals at other clubs.
While I tend to agree with this we have the compounding factor of De Gea passing the ball to Maguire, AWB and McTominay and Fred. If we add 2-3 players comfortable in possession then everyone else's job gets easier too.

Red-17

Moyes had to go to Sociedad because no-one else would touch him and is only rebuilding his reputation now at West Ham.
LvG didn't get another top level management gig until the NT turnstile came round again.
Ole doesn't even have a management career left to speak of after Ray Finkeling it here.

Has any manager every failed at a club and not seen their reputation suffer to some degree? That's the way it always has and should work. None of them really dropped off from their previous level apart from Mourinho and even he got a Champions league contender. LVG basically said he was retiring, but I'm sure if he wanted a job at a mid-table team in a decent European league he would have gotten it.

sparx99

Yeah only because right now we have higher priorities than upgrading to a modern style GK
In terms of players needing to be comfortable on the ball goalkeeper is a distant last. Until we upgrade full backs, centre mids etc Gk can wait.

C3Pique

Has any manager every failed at a club and not seen their reputation suffer to some degree? That's the way it always has and should work. None of them really dropped off from their previous level apart from Mourinho and even he got a Champions league contender. LVG basically said he was retiring, but I'm sure if he wanted a job at a mid-table team in a decent European league he would have gotten it.
Yes but has any other top club around Europe appointed four failed managers in a row after winning the league?

Idxomer

Moyes got a decent job at a good Spanish club means it wasn't career suicide. It just meant a top club won't touch him again, which was always the case.

LVG was always retiring. If he wanted a job in Germany or Holland, he would've got it.

Mourinho went to a club that has been on a similar level to United since SAF retired just a few months after he had been sacked. They were even a CL team that season and we were in the EL.

Ole didn't really have any noteworthy career, finishing 2nd and 3rd in the PL will remain the highlight of his career.

It may have harmed their reputation a bit, but the job was very far from being career suicide.

Roboc7

If ETH comes to Utd and fails it will damage his reputation and that’s why he’s doing right thing by setting out demands before he accepts it. Arnold, Murtough, Fletcher, Bout, Lawlor and numerous others won’t lose their jobs if it all goes wrong but ETH will.

Blood Mage

watch him end up at Dortmund or Leipzig
If a manager turning down Manchester United for Borsussia Dortmund or RB Lepizig isn't a massive wake-up call and kick up the arse then I don't know what is. Protest time to oust our shithouse owners once and for all I'd say if it happens.