Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
For me ETH has to go at some point even if not imminently. There is no organisation in our play or concerted approach. It’s all hit and hope. This has nothing to do with injuries as any player who participated in training should get the basics.

I want to see the team set up in an organised way with a definable style/approach. We’ve not had that for a while and only a glimmer of it last season.
Has to happen, all our good play is not for a team dynamic it’s individual randomness, nothing coordinated., take Scottys last 3 goals all individual moments, without them we would be in dire straits like our play style.

FerociousCorgis

Yep. It's like that tweet that went viral after Rashford scored for England that basically said "yes he scored but shooting was completely the wrong decision". We win a game, admittedly without playing well, but still hitting the bar two or three times, not putting the ball in an open net and missing two clean through on goal chances, ie; we realistically could have racked up a 4/5-1 win. They're cultists, ETH eventually no doubt will be sacked, whether it's this season, or next, or even in five years time, they'll have their "I told you so" party and then the same people will be out with their knives for the next manager, because he will also be the problem, just like the last manager was the problem, and the one before him.
I disagree. I was very much pro eth. I thought getting thru the end of last season with all the shit going on and dragging that group of players to a top 4 finish was very impressive and was thinking he was our future manager for a long time. But feck me this season has been a disaster. I could overlook the shit play last season with all the injuries and players shit going on. This season has been even worse. I see no patterns of play, no identity whatsoever. We constantly get outplayed by whatever opponent we are going up against, regardless of their level. I understand we have some injuries on the back line but Holy feck do we look worse than what I'd ever imagine.

I do think that these players are a huge problem, but if EtH insists on playing with them that is on him to make it work. I've said repeatedly, and will continue to do so, our two "stars" in rashford and Bruno will never be able to play how we want our team to go out there and just dominate. Not their style to be in a possession dominant team that just overwhelms team with chance after chance. Idk everything is all fecked up right now and just hard to take any pleasure with these group of players or anything with our setup overall

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This team is playing worse than the sum of its parts. In other words, I don't rate Ten Hag as a coach at all.

He has excuses, always has, but there isnt kuch to suggest he is improving us in any area.

Even if we get a new guy who takes over the recruitment, would you trust ETH to build a team from that?

gajender

He will survive the season most likely because This team is quite capable of getting results while playing poorly and being quite lucky and most of the teams above whom United are competing for top four aren't great Shake either and I wouldn't be surprised to See us in top 4 or there about by January .

But I am no longer holding my breath for better football I just haven't seen enough from Ten Jag in terms of coaching or even team selection to believe that even is consideration any more .
And that for me has been biggest let down and disappointment .

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't rate him as a coach :lol: The man went and was successful in every job he had because well he is so damn good. Absolutely killing Real Madrid at Bernabeu in 1/4 final od CL with Dusan Tadic and Donny Van se Beek. Now i know all of you had brilliant success in your life so you are a proper judge . . Also, the man behavied or try to as a United manager, so show some respect.

And he Will turn it around

flappyjay

Yet oddly it took Klopp a couple of years and the signing of Allison and VVD to get going and Pep a good 12 months and a whole new back line.
Liverpool attacking play was elite but their defensive work was horrendous. Karius part of the reason they lost the ucl. Vvd and Allison improved them defensively but the other phases of play were going well.

Yakuza_devils

The problem with us is the players looked not well trained as a team. Most of the time, when a player get a ball he has to look for his team mate to make obvious run before he can pass the ball. This slow down our overall play and so easy to defend against.

Team like City, Arsenal and Liverpool are so well drilled that their passing was so smooth and fast that they knew exactly where to pass before they get the ball and their team mate know where run into the space to receive the pass. It was so effortlessly and efficiently done.

Our football is so dire to watch and predictable. Even Sheffield outplayed us for large part in the first half. We purely rely on individual brilliance to score goal. Our style of play is shit

NoPace

The concerning part to me is we don't appear to have any ability to get the ball into the middle of the field, and we don't really have a ton of creativity on the wings, which is where the space is.

Asger

Again, no one is saying that. You move from extreme to extreme to try and force your view.

How do you think Arsenal would be doing without Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko? Liverpool without VVD, TAA, Konate? Actually how would any side manage with one fit full back and the rest of their first choice defenders injured? No difference to play style or performance?

And that’s with Ten Hag being here one year. Only one player in that defence is actually his. Martinez.
At least you know what the style of play both teams are. Nobody knows what style of play United is!! I think we should get Frank de Boer next in and give him 5 years.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
At least you know what the style of play both teams are. Nobody knows what style of play United is!! I think we should get Frank de Boer next in and give him 5 years.
Aye, we always had a refined way of playing. Like Jose with 10 at the back and every ball on the stand at Anfield with no intention to play.

Frank de Boer got his coaching badge on the back of beng a player, ten Hag had none of that.

Gordon S

Can only hope now that he can have a similar effect to that of LvG, play dull football without any penetration against worst teams, than suddenly show up and play our best football against stronger teams.
I mean, we had 2-1 late in the game away to Arsenal, only for var to rob us. Against Tottenham we were 100% the better team in the first half, should have killed the game off. Signs are there, please be true!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m baffled currently. From about this point last year we started to look like a proper team in the making. We went into the cup final v Newcastle as favourites and beat them with relative ease. Since that point we have been terrible.

We absolutely have to get players back fit and give ETH a proper chance, but his comments on changing philosophy to suit clubs worries me. I want him to make us ajax. Not to continue with us being the same shite we’ve been for a decade.

Asger

Aye, we always had a refined way of playing. Like Jose with 10 at the back and every ball on the stand at Anfield with no intention to play.

Frank de Boer got his coaching badge on the back of beng a player, ten Hag had none of that.
Well de Boer won Dutch league 4 times as a manager. We should give him a chance!

Yakuza_devils

We signed ETH as manager but Murtough want him to double up as DOF to sign players which he is not good at.

We can't blame him when we spent most of our big money signings on Casemeiro, Mount, Antony, Onana and a 20 years old Hojlund.

Scottynaldinho

We won an away game comfortably in the end. Why are people calling for his head after yesterday? Did I miss something? Did he shit on the badge?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Would be pointless to sack him now, even if we had a good replacement lined up, because they would be as much as a gamble as ETH and they would still be burdened with clueless owners and a dysfunctional structure

In my opinion we need to see two massive imporovements before the end of the season
1. We need to create a lot more chances and score a lot more goals. Having a sub 1.0 xG is going to bite is in the arse more often than not during a long season, not to mention we are a chore to watch right now
2. We absoloutely need to show we can beat the best teams. If we crumble every time we face a top 6 team, we won't be going anywhere

Mercurial

Our trial and terror approach last 10 years.
Low block defence and individual brilliance to the rescue vs relegation fodder.

philippexyz

His days are numbered. This injury crisis definitely doesn't help him, but we play dire football. Talent evaluation is bad(that shouldn't be his job, anyway, but at Man Utd, it is - because of the Glazers).

Spending so much on Antony(very limited footballer), doubling down on Bruno(making him captain) and his anarchy, chaos, hot potato football style and bringing in Mount(another 10) instead of a press resistant, composed central midfielder to help progress the ball and control games...these things will be ETH's undoing.

Keanes Magic Hat

The signings have been terrible but the injury crisis has been a disaster for him.

Admittedly the football has been poor but have faith he will turn it around and we will finish the season strongly.

I can't see him leaving anytime soon.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We won an away game comfortably in the end. Why are people calling for his head after yesterday? Did I miss something? Did he shit on the badge?
Comfortably? Have you watched the game? And it wasn't any away game, it was the easiest away game we will probably have all season.
And no, we shouldn't call for his head now, the season is long and after what we are seeing there will be countless of other moments to do that.

AndySmith1990

We struggle against everyone. We play dreadful football, consistently. He's spent £400m in the process. It's the same old rubbish as all the managers before him and I see no reason why he should receive special treatment.

Bole Top

both Pep and Klopp will lose and get outplayed by much weaker teams from time to time but their teams will never play this shit every week. even Mourinho's team would wipe the floor with opponent once in a while.

DickDastardly

Well, Bruno could be Tadić.

Garnacho is better then Neres.

We hoped Antony could be the Ziyech, but he's nowhere near.

He's still missing FDJ who was vital in that Ajax team, and a de Ligt.

We've got player to play like this, can't really put my finger on why are we so shit at football at the moment.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
People saying we've been lucky :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Since august we literally have zero fecking luck.

Castia

Needs to get to the basics of the game because this team make simple pass and move look painfully hard

We play some of the worst football in the league and are relying on moments to grab a goal. It’s been mostly like this from March or so last season, every 90 minutes win or lose is an absolute slogfest

One of the main reasons I wanted ETH was for his modern approach to the game, I thought regardless of results we’d at least be playing some good football

Jeffthered

I think the limitations of ETH are being highlighted. I think he is finding it hard to adpat to the Premiership. I think his recruitment is questionable at best. And I don't think he is inspiring his players very well.
  • What is our playing style?
  • Why does he buy the players he identifies? For example, Mason Mount, Eriksen, Bruno all play in the same position? And look at Antony, I mean, come on.
  • He isn't getting the best out of the players. None of them. Think about that. Not one player in our squad is playing close to their potential. Why? Even new arrivals. Look at the drop off from Casimero as another example.
ETH is having problems and I do worry whether his messaging is being lost, because we play with no clear structure, we are disjointed, and players look frustrated. Look at the game yesterday.

I do worry.

Telsim

The two weeks between Tuesday and the 8th of November are going to be pivotal for him. Difficult games coming in hard and fast. No more Brentford and Sheffield to prop us up. If there ever was a time for him and his team to get it together, it is now. Let's see what happens first.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The two weeks between Tuesday and the 8th of November are going to be pivotal for him. Difficult games coming in hard and fast. No more Brentford and Sheffield to prop us up. If there ever was a time for him and his team to get it together, it is now. Let's see what happens first.
No worries. We are game-raising chumps.

Keanes Magic Hat

Let's look to the 11th of November, we should be looking to beat Copenhagen home and away and get at least 6/7 points from 3 games in the league. That would be a good foundation to build on.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The major issue for Ten Hag is, by and large, the players still look like they're trying to remember their lines. Nothing has become instinctive or automatic. There was a period in the first half where we condensed the left half of the pitch, and it looked so training ground. Like, you could see the cogs turning in the players' heads. It didn't feel organic, like when you see teams like City or Barcelona do it. It was like the difference between watching a top actor and someone doing a little bit of weekend theatre. Confidence comes into it I guess. However, after a year with the team, you would expect better.

garelo

One thing that shocked me most about ETH is his lack of imagination. It's like he has no original idea of what he wants to do with his team except copy-pasting everything Pep do, inverted winger, inverted full back, ball-playing goalie, you name it, wont be long before we see 4 CBs in the back because Pep did it, at this rate even Ole had more tactical nous than him.

Can only hope now that he can have a similar effect to that of LvG, play dull football without any penetration against worst teams, than suddenly show up and play our best football against stronger teams.
I mean, we had 2-1 late in the game away to Arsenal, only for var to rob us. Against Tottenham we were 100% the better team in the first half, should have killed the game off. Signs are there, please be true!
the stronger teams are better today though, whenever people talked about our records against big teams under LvG i feel like i'd want to bang my head on the wall, people, they forgot that LvG faced a city minus guardiola and klopp's first 6 months at liverpool. nowadays even smaller teams like Brighton, Brentford, and Palace can hurt you if you're slacking off.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
People saying we've been lucky :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Since august we literally have zero fecking luck.
Because some of the performances have been shocking but we’ve got over the line in some. You could argue that last night was lucky. That Dalot strike to get us the winner could be missed more times than going in. If we don’t score that then we obviously draw the game. It’s very hard to score them type of goals consistently or regular.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Because some of the performances have been shocking but we’ve got over the line in some. You could argue that last night was lucky. That Dalot strike to get us the winner could be missed more times than going in. If we don’t score that then we obviously draw the game. It’s very hard to score them type of goals consistently or regular.
You could argue Hojlund was unlucky on two of his chances. Or Amrabat hitting the bar. Or Bruno hitting the bar.

Bobski

He needs to stop with the 1 DM, 2 attacking midfielders pushed high up. It isn't working and constantly leaves huge space between the midfield group, little cohesion and structure. He likes it for the quick transitions but it ain't working in this league.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Setting aside the rest, this isn't true. Inter had already agreed a deal with him before ETH had even agreed to become United manager.

Meanwhile, Reya was discussed on here prior to Onana signing, and people pulled up stats in Onana's favour when it came to expected goals conceded vs actual goals conceded. In terms of sweeper-keepers, Onana also had reputation as, if anything, a better passer. He's made a couple of genuine blunders, but given injuries and imo issues with the set-up (including coaching, arguably) , he's often had bad passing options or had to face more pressure through our being turned-over so easily. Finally, De Gea was awful when he first came in, and into a steadier side with top drawer defenders; jury has to be out on Onana for the moment.
I am sick and tired of people bringing this up about De Gea it's like trying to compare apples and oranges!
De Gea was a youngster, he wasn't a seasoned keeper with ECL's and Internationals under his belt, Onana is a liability, even yesterday against Sheffield United his handling (if you can call it that) was awful, he was lucky, two of his so called "saves" hit his arm, and put the ball back into play, leaving Evans or Maguire to bail him out, he can't catch a ball, he was about a day late diving for the penalty.
Inter couldn't wait to get shot of him, and went laughing all the way to the bank, he's a £15m championship keeper at best.