Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

The_Order

Feel very mixed, I think most reasonable fans would agree that EtH has done a good job so far. The majority of things have gone as likely to be planned, or even better. One result doesn't change that, and even if we did have a disappointing season, there is a vision, a mission and an idea to be relied on.

However, it saddens me how light some are taking this result. Obviously those screaming for him to be sacked are overreacting, however if he was sacked, it wouldn't be a disgrace either.

Losing 4-0 to Brentford, packing 6 vs City, losing 7-0 to Liverpool should be a sackable offense, and maybe would be close to that if we had ambitious owners and a board. Some are really normalising it, and it should never be at this club if we had ambitious owners and leadership. I rate EtH as high as any, but seeing how some of the fan base our downplaying this disgrace and rationalising it, really makes me see how far this club has fallen in terms of standards. The fact that EtH himself is so very keen on standards from my experience and knowledge is what makes me have trust in him.

Do this at clubs at Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona and you can't even talk "about bouncing back", because there will be no guarantee that you are there the next day.
We are not in the same league as Bayern.

Haven't been for a long time.

Freak results happen. Liverpool shipped 7 to villa 18 months ago.

United definitely have an away form problem.

Skills

Snitch
Feel very mixed, I think most reasonable fans would agree that EtH has done a good job so far. The majority of things have gone as likely to be planned, or even better. One result doesn't change that, and even if we did have a disappointing season, there is a vision, a mission and an idea to be relied on.

However, it saddens me how light some are taking this result. Obviously those screaming for him to be sacked are overreacting, however if he was sacked, it wouldn't be a disgrace either.

Losing 4-0 to Brentford, packing 6 vs City, losing 7-0 to Liverpool should be a sackable offense, and maybe would be close to that if we had ambitious owners and a board. Some are really normalising it, and it should never be at this club if we had ambitious owners and leadership. I rate EtH as high as any, but seeing how some of the fan base our downplaying this disgrace and rationalising it, really makes me see how far this club has fallen in terms of standards. The fact that EtH himself is so very keen on standards from my experience and knowledge is what makes me have trust in him.

Do this at clubs at Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona and you can't even talk "about bouncing back", because there will be no guarantee that you are there the next day.
Good post

MUrphFC

Of course it would be a disgrace to sack him. The club has been having its best period since Fergie in terms of culture and the football being played, and the results are on an amazing trajectory with a trophy in the bag already.

Whats the principle of this argument? You can win trophies and put our club back on the road to greatness, but if we get battered by our rivals in a few games then that's unacceptable and you should be sacked?

I don't want to downplay the impact of these losses; I'm hurting and humiliated as much as anyone after Sunday but it would be utterly idiotic and indeed disgraceful to throw away all our progress over this.

Reactions: Cheimoon

evil_geko

When will people stop mentioning Brentford (and Brighton) game? It was literally one of his first games where he was trying out players and new system, after those few games he went more pragmatic to accommodate players he has. As such they shouldn't be mentioned as "ammo" against Ten Hag, how can that be so hard to comprehend? Do people not include context into things anymore, do we just spout numbers and stats without any context whatsoever? Bloody hell, give you heads a fecking wobble.

And yes, sacking him would be absolutely overreacting. Common sense is gone I guess.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We are not in the same league as Bayern.

Haven't been for a long time.

Freak results happen. Liverpool shipped 7 to villa 18 months ago.

United definitely have an away form problem.
A freak result can happen, 3 trashings within just over half a year, from which 2 to rivals is completely different to Klopp having one trashing after winning them the CL and PL.

But I don't want it to look like I want EtH sacked, far from it actually, was his biggest advocate whilst at Ajax and he's my favourite manager of the past 10 years. This just can't keep happening in my opinion, and is an absolute disgrace.

Some United fans seem to have no pride in the club, I do.

Flexdegea

A freak result can happen, 3 trashings within just over half a year, from which 2 to rivals is completely different to Klopp having one trashing after winning them the CL and PL.

But I don't want it to look like I want EtH sacked, far from it actually, was his biggest advocate whilst at Ajax and he's my favourite manager of the past 10 years. This just can't keep happening in my opinion, and is an absolute disgrace.

Some United fans seem to have no pride in the club, I do.

:lol: @ no pride in the club :houllier:

I ask again what is your angle here?

You saying you not saying you want him sacked, but are hinting we should be because we are showing no pride for 3 hammering. What is it you exactly want from the fans?

Most are buzzing on a huge turnaround this season from possibly the worse season we've had since Moyes season.

If you want to focus just on one of games and miss the rest in-between that is on you, or do you want fans to be calling for his head to show pride?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
:lol: @ no pride in the club :houllier:

I ask again what is your angle here?

You saying you not saying you want him sacked, but are hinting we should be because we are showing no pride for 3 hammering. What is it you exactly want from the fans?

Most are buzzing on a huge turnaround this season from possibly the worse season we've had since Moyes season.

If you want to focus just on one of games and miss the rest in-between that is on you, or do you want fans to be calling for his head to show pride?
You seem to have poor comprehension skills, find me one place where I suggested that.

I am however suggesting that if you describe that result as just a loss, or just 3 points, you have a very different sense of pride or maybe none at all when it comes to this club.

Flexdegea

You seem to have poor comprehension skills, find me one place where I suggested that.

I am however suggesting that if you describe that result as just a loss, or just 3 points, you have a very different sense of pride or maybe none at all when it comes to this club.

What this pride you speak off?

I wasnt happy after the game, was just as pissed off as any one else, but it is just a loss, and it is just 3 points lost.

It's doesn't have to be one or the other.

Sorry if my comprehension skillz are off but I ask again what is it you are getting at?

You don't think he should be sacked, but you want something drastic shown to show pride

Last edited:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Seeing Weghorst start game after game after game has small elements of doubt creep into my mind about the manager.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Seeing Weghorst start game after game after game has small elements of doubt creep into my mind about the manager.
That's more on Bruno than on Ten Hag, I think, if we are honest.

If Scot was playing in place of fit Casemiro - that's a big red flag.

Maguire playing Infront of fit and able Licha every game that would be a big red flag.

Ten Hag is unable to drop Bruno now but eventually he will.

Believe and trust the manager in this. Eventually it will work out even if now it's pain time.

ElDiabloRojo

Stubborn loyalty.

Antony I can understand as he was his expensive signing, but a striker on loan that plays every week because he works hard.

Maybe it's a chance of redemption for them all.

HookedOnAPhelan

Not a big fan of Weghorst, but starting the same 11 as against Liverpool is excellent management. They all fecked up, and now they all have a chance to redeem themselves. Dropping one player would send a wrong message.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's a tough call, which lineup to select. I get that he wants that XI to make amends, but I thought Casemiro picked up a knock in the first few minutes at Anfield and Bruno has been gassed for a while. I still get it. This team should have the spark to get a good result.

Skills

Snitch
We're carrying 2 toothless players in our attack. Weghorst and Antony have zero direct threat to the opposition goal in the form of goals or assists. It's all on Rashford

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
We're carrying 2 toothless players in our attack. Weghorst and Antony have zero direct threat to the opposition goal in the form of goals or assists. It's all on Rashford
And who would you play instead to change that? Sancho, Elanga, Pellistri? Garnacho who's had probably one good start for us? And Rashford as a striker, yeah? Cause that's worked so well for us.

Dansk

I'm starting to have some serious questions and unflattering suspicions about his bizarre infatuation with Wout Weghorst. This is starting to look like something dodgy is going on. Why wouldn't we just stick Rashford there, or Sancho or someone?

I don't want to wonder about things like this, but would Weghorst be playing if he wasn't Dutch?

acnumber9

Another game where he likely needs to make half time changes. That shouldn’t be happening as often as it does. If he picked the same team to give them a shot at redemption inhospitable it’s out the window by Sunday. Shaw and Dalot have no business being anywhere near the pitch.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So is ten Haag happy with that half or is he going to rip into the team half time?

PoTMS

What he sees in Antony and Weghorst is beyond me. He's not a great judge of talent.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We're risking having this disaster result looming longer over us if we don't react properly after HT. I think the decision to go with the same XI was understandable, but it needs rectifying quite a bit now as it's not worked and the team is wilting.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Not a big fan of Weghorst, but starting the same 11 as against Liverpool is excellent management. They all fecked up, and now they all have a chance to redeem themselves. Dropping one player would send a wrong message.
This isnt Too Fast 2 Furious: Ride Together Die Together.

The manager should and have to play the team he feels is most likely to win.

Garnacho cant buy a start, yet Wout keeps his spot in the First XI despite having been subbed off at either HT or early in the 2nd half multiple times due to performance. He has yet again had a poor first half and will likely get subbed off again at HT.

If he feels Wout in particular is the best option, then that is the managers decision. I am all for allowing players to redeem themselves, but the knockout stages of the European competition is not the arena for a feelgood story.

Biggins

Sancho is not even an option at this point. He's completely useless. As bad as Weghorst is, he contributes immeasurably more than Sancho.
Wout works hard but he really does not belong to this club. I would prefer to see Elanga to have a go rather than striker who can’t score anything.

arnie_ni

Hes gave them a chance to redeem themselves. Fully except a few changes ASAP because they haven't done it

T_Model101

Needs to stop running some of these guys into the ground. Absolutely no way Casemiro, Varane, Bruno can be starting every single game if we are trying to compete for 2 more trophies

Bwuk

A front 4 of Rashford, Weghorst, Fred & Antony is completely reliant on Rashford scoring.

georgipep

This isnt Too Fast 2 Furious: Ride Together Die Together.

The manager should and have to play the team he feels is most likely to win.

Garnacho cant buy a start, yet Wout keeps his spot in the First XI despite having been subbed off at either HT or early in the 2nd half multiple times due to performance. He has yet again had a poor first half and will likely get subbed off again at HT.

If he feels Wout in particular is the best option, then that is the managers decision. I am all for allowing players to redeem themselves, but the knockout stages of the European competition is not the arena for a feelgood story.
What if the manager does believe this 11 are most likely to win the game?