Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

You basically destroy your own ground of argument.

We played a strong team. There is no defending for that kind of performance. It was a win with element of luck. If we drew or lost that game, nobody would say Wolves undeserved it. Same performance and reverse result only made your argument worse.

Tottenham deserved to lose with the same excuse we can use about injuris suspension. Or you now agree to expect every team should perform regardless of injury, suspension.

Not really, having several key players out will affect any team.

Utd were somewhat lucky to beat Wolves with almost a full team. But Utd won and as it happens several of those Utd players weren't really full fit for that game. And 5 or 6 of them have been out injured since.

I used Spurs and Newcastle on Saturday as examples of what can happen when you lose a few players. If that were Utd you lot would be having a meltdown over wanting ETH out.

Varane has been unavailable a couple of times already this season for fitness reasons, and has played about 20 minutes of combined football in the four league games around the City game.

That doesn't strike me as a player that's properly available.

As for Ten Hag explaining the tactical reasons for Varane being on the bench against City, you're going to have to link me to that. As far as I remember he said "tactics" when asked and refused to elaborate further when pressed.

He's since said form is keeping him out since, which is actually reasonably fair.

This still doesn't change anything about the clear injury issues at the club, particularly those suffered by defenders.

I'm not going to engage you further on this because, as I said, you've a weird, obsessive agenda here for a supposed Real Madrid supporter, and frankly its goes nowhere.
Here's a quote from ETH after the City game on why Varane isn't being selected:

“Ideally (it is either Varane or Maguire), but there are moments in certain games where they can play together and they have already proven they can do it,” Ten Hag said. “But the build-up is not that fluid when one of them is playing from the left centre-back position because I think Licha (Lisandro Martinez), obviously, Luke Shaw, obviously, Jonny Evans and Victor Lindelof are right-footed, but they can play really comfortably with their left and make the right angles, then you can construct a better formation where you can start to play.

So it is also about form but it's a question of selection between Varane and Maguire, not Varane vs Evans and Lindelof. And to be fair Maguire has been better this season than Varane.

I think the opposite, and you are completely missing the point. For starters, what you have described is the textbook definition of second-hand knowledge regardless of who it's printed by. More importantly, even if they did want him, the chances of Spurs selling to United, especially given the interest by Bayern and FFP issues, were virtually non-existent. This has been widely reported.

https://theathletic.com/4877364/2023/09/19/manchester-united-harry-kane-transfer-ten-hag/

So, no United had slim to no chance of getting Kane..

There were discussions, check.

Talk about financials, check,

Kane mentioned United by name next to eventual destiny Bayer, check.

If there was no money, then why hold talks at all? At least youve proven my point and Meulensteens Hojland wasnt ETHs number one choice. He, ETH, the manchester united manager, wasnt backed properly.

Manchester United managers dont get the players they want.

Maybe we can now start why do managers go to United and get their career burned with outrageous expecations that never get matched on 2nd or worse choice player buys.

If there was no money, then why hold talks at all? At least youve proven my point and Meulensteens Hojland wasnt ETHs number one choice. He, ETH, the manchester united manager, wasnt backed properly.

Maybe we can now start why do managers go to United and get their career burned with outrageous expecations that never get matched on 2nd or worse choice player buys.

Spurs were quite clear that they wouldn't sell to the Premier League if there were other alternatives, and with Bayern coming in they were always going to pick them. They've been quite clear since 2015 that they won't even contemplate selling him to us, and that if they were to contemplate it - the offer would have to be undeniable. Maybe if we had spunked up £150M they would have considered it.

The point was Kane wasn't a feasible transfer target. ETH can target anyone, but it doesn't mean he will get that player because it takes 3 parties to agree to a transfer. 400M spent in 3 transfer windows and he wasn't backed? Comical stuff.

Ten Hag specifically said that he did not select Varane for tactical reasons. He has said that multiple times. He even explained what some of those tactical reasons are.

What is "agenda-driven" is trying to defend Ten Hag by making up excuses for him that are contradicted by his actual words and actions.

He only likes Varane and Maguire at right center back. At the moment, he seems to trust Maguire over Varane.

It is not that complicated. As you said, he said it himself.

The point was Kane wasn't a feasible transfer target. ETH can target anyone, but it doesn't mean he will get that player because it takes 3 parties to agree to a transfer. 400M spent in 3 transfer windows and he wasn't backed? Comical stuff.

First you blame ETH for not selecting a feasible transfer target, and then you blame him for spending 400 million on 2nd choice players. He can never win, can he?

I remain, the current squad mess, lack of vision, FFP problems, manager after another: its on The Glazers. A top 10 side and if United manages to finish top 6, that is a job well done for Ten Hag.

First you blame ETH for not selecting a feasible transfer target, and then you blame him for spending 400 million on 2nd choice players. He can never win, can he?

I remain, the current squad mess, lack of vision, FFP problems, manager after another: its on The Glazers. A top 10 side and if United manages to finish top 6, that is a job well done for Ten Hag.
I'm not blaming anyone. I'm simply describing the reality of the situation. A transfer target is nothing more than a target. There is no guarantee you will obtain the players you want. Klopp didn't get Bellingham, Caicedo, or Lavia. Did Liverpool's board fail him? Is the season a mulligan because he couldn't secure any of his first-choice targets?

The bolded is just absolving the manager of all responsibility. If he can't manage top 6 while outspending most of his rivals then one has to question his ability as a manager.

Really?

Utd won that game and there was still nothing but whining about the performance, the result and Onana.

Spurs basically scored after 3 mins and camped on their 18 for the rest of the game and conceded 2 injury time to lose.

If those results were reversed we'd be hearing about how great it was that Spurs won and how shit Utd were for throwing it away.

I don't get why the Ten Hag fans, or any manager fans in general, get annoyed by people complaining. It's actually a ridiculous concept. Every manager is the same, once people start criticizing him or even asking him to go out, people like you start to focus on moaning about people who are moaning.

It's like you don't want to hear different opinions on an internet forum that must have thousands of posters. You want to hear your own opinion only then moan about anyone who doesn't share that opinion.

Very entitled and self-centered point of view if anything.

Get it or not, as long as you're on internet you'll hear different opinions from all extremes from extreme delusion to extreme depression. If you can't get with it, then internet might not be for you.

The manager isn't a god. Hell, even God himself doesn't have the whole world believing in him, yet you want everyone to back a human being! Absolutely ridiculous when you think about it.

The current squad is Ten Hag's. He has signed a lot of players, splashed a lot of money, had far more than enough time to choose his players, and even those who aren't his signings were given contracts under him, given the armband or trusted to start weekly.

The bold part is hilarious but it's not a surprise. People here will shit all over the club's standards just to defend the manager.

I know it’s going to sound lame to some but the thing that infuriates me the most is why the feck is our manager so lenient on the refs?

Ever since Fergie retired, it’s like we have one soft manager after another when it comes to refs. Even the Mourinho we got was the worst /most sober version “personality” wise.

The kind of decisions that have gone against us, any manager would be livid and would let people know that this can’t go on.

Get yourself a headline in the papers and get a ban..: i don’t care! It’s not as if you’re affecting the game from the touchline anyway Erik.

Grow some spine and go nuts on the refs ffs.

I don't get why the Ten Hag fans, or any manager fans in general, get annoyed by people complaining. It's actually a ridiculous concept. Every manager is the same, once people start criticizing him or even asking him to go out, people like you start to focus on moaning about people who are moaning.

It's like you don't want to hear different opinions on an internet forum that must have thousands of posters. You want to hear your own opinion only then moan about anyone who doesn't share that opinion.

Very entitled and self-centered point of view if anything.

Get it or not, as long as you're on internet you'll hear different opinions from all extremes from extreme delusion to extreme depression. If you can't get with it, then internet might not be for you.

The manager isn't a god. Hell, even God himself doesn't have the whole world believing in him, yet you want everyone to back a human being! Absolutely ridiculous when you think about it.

He was a god to you 6 months ago... you'd really ought to just have a look at your own posts in this thread.

You'd then know all about it when it comes to extremes. He went from a god to a charlatan in a few weeks in your view. If fact I checked and I'd actually say it was probably March 5th that brought about the swing.

He was a god to you 6 months ago... you'd really ought to just have a look at your own posts in this thread.

You'd then know all about it when it comes to extremes. He went from a god to a charlatan in a few weeks in your view. If fact I checked and I'd actually say it was probably March 5th that brought about the swing.

I change my opinions, so? This is another strawman argument. This is a football forum about a media of entertainment for God's sake. Changing my opinion about an entertainment media isn't a crime. It's like changing my opinion about a movie after re-watching it. No one will blame anyone for it. Since when am I supposed to stick to an opinion about a human being no matter what happens? This isn't religion.

Not that what's I'm talking about anyway. You either didn't understand or just shifted the discussion to the same few words you memorized.

It's fine for people to have different opinions about a sports manager from all extremes. Get on with it and stop moaning about people sharing their opinions. If they are hurting your feeling and you want an echo chamber then internet isn't for you. Actually real life might not be for you either in that case.

I change my opinions, so? This is another strawman argument. This is a football forum about a media of entertainment for God's sake. Changing my opinion about an entertainment media isn't a crime. It's like changing my opinion about a movie after re-watching it. No one will blame for it.

Not that what's I'm talking about anyway. You either didn't understand or just shifted the discussion to the same few words you memorized.

It's fine for people to have different opinions about a sports manager from all extremes. Get on with it and stop moaning about people sharing their opinions. If they are hurting your feeling and you want an echo chamber then internet isn't for you. Actually real life might not be for you either in that case.

Nah, it's the extremes you go to.

Seriously, just have a look at your own post history in here,

You started moaning after the City 6-3 game, then quietened down a bit, claimed you didn't watch a lot of games. Won the league cup, he was a legend. Since the 7-0 it's been a relentless tirade of shit posts.

Moany people, moaning about people moaning about how moany they are.:D

It's because those manager fans are bullying anyone on this forum who dares to critcizie the manager. They haunt them, attack them and keep on complaining nonstop about them daring to post their opinions on the forum. Instead of just posting their own opinions or discuss, they turn the forum into continuous complaining about the others' opinions. They want this to be an echo chamber.

This has been the case for the last few years now and it's just a ridiculous concept.

Nah, it's the extremes you go to.

Seriously, just have a look at your own post history in here,

You started moaning after the City 6-3 game, then quietened down a bit, claimed you didn't watch a lot of games. Won the league cup, he was a legend. Since the 7-0 it's been a relentless tirade of shit posts.

Me or anyone else are fine to do whatever we want on this forum as long as we are following the rules. You just derail the thread by continuously complaining about our own opinions. You don't like our opinions, ignore us. Telling us what to do is a very entitled and self centered point of view that has been going for few years and ruined this forum.

You have done nothing in these last few post except proving my words. This is football, not religion. Get over it.

I’m still very supportive of ETH. I know a lot of yous have lost your heads a little and wanna rush into things. What happened to patience nowadays? Imagine if we sacked fergie before he won a cup when he was doing awful. Our objectives are still on track, top 4 finish, not miles away. The only failed objective is probably the CL and maybe the caraboa cup elimination, but that isn’t an important trophy. If we still progress from our CL group then I guarantee a lot of yous will change your opinion again.

Me or anyone else are fine to do whatever we want on this forum as long as we are following the rules. You just derail the thread by continuously complaining about our own opinions. You don't like our opinions, ignore us. Telling us what to do is a very entitled and self centered point of view that has been going for few years and ruined this forum.

You have done nothing in these last few post except proving my words. This is football, not religion. Get over it.

Not telling you what to do, you post about extremes and delusion. Yet your posts are all that in this thread, but you fail to see it.

Ignored.

It's because those manager fans are bullying anyone on this forum who dares to critcizie the manager. They haunt them, attack them and keep on complaining nonstop about them daring to post their opinions on the forum. Instead of just posting their own opinions or discuss, they turn the forum into continuous complaining about the others' opinions. They want this to be an echo chamber.

This has been the case for the last few years now and it's just a ridiculous concept.

Bullying? How so? Is there a chance people are reacting to your own posts? If more people think differently to you and challenge your views it’s not bullying, it’s just general consensus

You don’t need to react to every single post you disagree with and you don’t need to respond to everybody who has a different view to you, like they are the exact same. We aren’t all the same and this idea, quite popular on social media, that if you think something on one thing about a topic it means you are bracketed as the same on so many other things, is an unhealthy way of engaging.

You are haunting anybody who supports ETH. I only know of you as a poster because you are always here to have a pop at somebody who tries to defend him. Like the same people who couldn’t help and spread their misery in my “optimistic” thread. They had every right to post but they aren’t adding anything to the thread, just dumping their pessimism that some people seem to thrive on!

It’s ironic that some people call it the cult of manager because if that’s accurate then they themselves subscribe to the “cult of sacking managers”. I believe this is just a quite shallow way of spoiling debate/discussion and is used when people can’t use logic to defend their position. It’s not a cult of anything, it’s people with different opinions.

Bullying? How so? Is there a chance people are reacting to your own posts? If more people think differently to you and challenge your views it’s not bullying, it’s just general consensus

You don’t need to react to every single post you disagree with and you don’t need to respond to everybody who has a different view to you, like they are the exact same. We aren’t all the same and this idea, quite popular on social media, that if you think something on one thing about a topic it means you are bracketed as the same on so many other things, is an unhealthy way of engaging.

You are haunting anybody who supports ETH. I only know of you as a poster because you are always here to have a pop at somebody who tries to defend him. Like the same people who couldn’t help and spread their misery in my “optimistic” thread. They had every right to post but they aren’t adding anything to the thread, just dumping their pessimism that some people seem to thrive on!

It’s ironic that some people call it the cult of manager because if that’s accurate then they themselves subscribe to the “cult of sacking managers”. I believe this is just a quite shallow way of spoiling debate/discussion and is used when people can’t use logic to defend their position. It’s not a cult of anything, it’s people with different opinions.

Bring your evidence on this.

Bring your evidence on this.

Only had to go back a few posts

People here will shit all over the club's standards just to defend the manager.

So people who don’t share your views on ETH are , in your words, “sh*tting all over the clubs standards”.

I’m just saying that perhaps there’s times when people are responding hostile to your own hostility towards others.

Results are not terrible when you look at the table but what’s with our fans bragging all over the place for the last few days about being just 7 points behind City and 6 behind Arsenal and Liverpool as if it’s good?

We are only 12 games into the season, we have already played 8 out of the bottom 10 teams including all of bottom 3, and if you extrapolate our current gap to these teams over the course of season we are going to end up around 20 points behind all of them - and that’s not even factoring in our easy calendar so far.

Results are not ‘good’ by any means.

The current squad is Ten Hag's. He has signed a lot of players, splashed a lot of money, had far more than enough time to choose his players, and even those who aren't his signings were given contracts under him, given the armband or trusted to start weekly.

The bold part is hilarious but it's not a surprise. People here will shit all over the club's standards just to defend the manager.
It's not though. McTominay, sancho, Varane, Lindelof, Maguire, Rashford, martial, Dalot, wan bissaka are all not 'his players'.

I was wrong on calling you out for making shit up before, but I sure as hell ain't now.

Results are not terrible when you look at the table but what’s with our fans bragging all over the place for the last few days about being just 7 points behind City and 6 behind Arsenal and Liverpool as if it’s good?

We are only 12 games into the season, we have already played 8 out of the bottom 10 teams including all of bottom 3, and if you extrapolate our current gap to these teams over the course of season we are going to end up around 20 points behind all of them - and that’s not even factoring in our easy calendar so far.

The results are fine. We can't extrapolate really because sides hit form at different times over the course of a season. Being within 6-7 pts of title leaders despite a huge injury crisis and confidence shot team is actually a good thing.

Results have been average, performances have been poor.

I don't think anyone should be bragging, I think it's more a case of it can't get any worse and we are not that far behind. People believe that there are signs that with injuries and confidence we can go on a run. Our style has changed dramatically to last season so there will need to be time before it shows and we find a rhythm.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Because (amidst a massive injury crisis and a load of off-field nonsense) we've been shite, yet Brighton have "BEAT" football and Newcastle are great, and yet we're still within touching distance. We're within touching distance and above both teams, precisely because the results have actually not been as bad as made out.

Is it great that we've scraped our wins? Obviously not. Does the result change just because we struggled to win by one goal, and didn't coast to a victory by five? No.

As for this "if you extrapolate this over the season" bollocks, that's not how football works.

The top half of last season's table at around the same stage:
  1. Arsenal - 28 pts
  2. City - 26 pts
  3. Spurs - 23 pts
  4. Newcastle - 21 pts
  5. Chelsea - 21 pts
  6. United - 20 pts
  7. Fulham - 18 pts
  8. Liverpool - 16 pts
  9. Brighton - 15 pts
  10. West Ham - 14 pts
Extrapolated over 38 games (and then the actual position/points and the difference):
  1. Arsenal - 97 pts (2nd/84)( -1/-13)
  2. City - 90 pts (1st/89) (+1/-1)
  3. Spurs - 73 pts (8th/60) (-5/-13)
  4. Chelsea - 73 pts (12th/44) (-8/-29)
  5. United - 69 pts (3rd/75) (+2/+6)
  6. Newcastle - 67 pts (4th/71) (+2/+4)
  7. Fulham - 57 pts (10th/52) (-3/-5)
  8. Liverpool - 55 pts (5th/67) (+3/+12)
  9. Brighton - 52 pts (6th/62) (+3/+10)
  10. Crystal Palace - 45 pts (11th/45) (-1/0)
  11. West Ham - 44 pts (14th/40) (-3/-4)
Almost like form isn't consistent throughout the season, and a team five points off fourth a quarter of the way through isn't, by default, twenty points off at the end.

Because (amidst a massive injury crisis and a load of off-field nonsense) we've been shite, yet Brighton have "BEAT" football and Newcastle are great, and yet we're still within touching distance. We're within touching distance and above both teams, precisely because the results have actually not been as bad as made out.

Is it great that we've scraped our wins? Obviously not. Does the result change just because we struggled to win by one goal, and didn't coast to a victory by five? No.

As for this "if you extrapolate this over the season" bollocks, that's not how football works.

The top half of last season's table at around the same stage:
  1. Arsenal - 28 pts
  2. City - 26 pts
  3. Spurs - 23 pts
  4. Newcastle - 21 pts
  5. Chelsea - 21 pts
  6. United - 20 pts
  7. Fulham - 18 pts
  8. Liverpool - 16 pts
  9. Brighton - 15 pts
  10. West Ham - 14 pts
Extrapolated over 38 games (and then the actual position/points and the difference):
  1. Arsenal - 97 pts (2nd/84)( -1/-13)
  2. City - 90 pts (1st/89) (+1/-1)
  3. Spurs - 73 pts (8th/60) (-5/-13)
  4. Chelsea - 73 pts (12th/44) (-8/-29)
  5. United - 69 pts (3rd/75) (+2/+6)
  6. Newcastle - 67 pts (4th/71) (+2/+4)
  7. Fulham - 57 pts (10th/52) (-3/-5)
  8. Liverpool - 55 pts (5th/67) (+3/+12)
  9. Brighton - 52 pts (6th/62) (+3/+10)
  10. Crystal Palace - 45 pts (11th/45) (-1/0)
  11. West Ham - 44 pts (14th/40) (-3/-4)
Almost like form isn't consistent throughout the season, and a team five points off fourth a quarter of the way through isn't, by default, twenty points off at the end.

Well I didn’t really mean each team is going to get 3 times as many points as they got so far, just pointed out that 6-7 points isn’t few when you’ve only played 12 games. It’s a gap that can only be turned around in minimum 2 and most likely 3 rounds of games, so a fourth of what has already been played.

Also the difficulty of fixtures has to be taken into perspective. We have probably had the easiest calendar of all top 10 teams so far, playing 8/10 bottom 10 teams and playing 7 out of 12 games at home. This definitely skews things in our favor. It’s quite clear us being 6th has a lot to do with the fact that our calendar has been extremely favorable as we are yet to pick up a single point from a top 10 team.

Newcastle for instance are a point behind us but have already played 6 out of the remaining 9 top half teams and have only us, Chelsea and Spurs remaining. They have an injury / absentees crisis now though so could very well fall further behind.

Brighton have actually been quite bad since they beat us. I don’t think anyone can reasonably say they’ve had a good season, they are clearly struggling with juggling PL and Europe.

Last edited:
Results have been average, performances have been poor.

I don't think anyone should be bragging, I think it's more a case of it can't get any worse and we are not that far behind. People believe that there are signs that with injuries and confidence we can go on a run. Our style has changed dramatically to last season so there will need to be time before it shows and we find a rhythm.
Oh I think it can get much, much worse. The fact we have barely played any decent teams, and every single point we have picked up has been against a bottom 10 team indicates it can get much worse.

Well I didn’t really mean each team is going to get 3 times as many points as they got so far, just pointed out that 6-7 points isn’t few when you’ve only played 12 games. It’s a gap that can only be turned around in minimum 2 and most likely 3 rounds of games, so a fourth of what has already been played.

Also the difficulty of fixtures has to be taken into perspective. We have probably had the easiest calendar of all top 10 teams so far, playing 8/10 bottom 10 teams and playing 7 out of 12 games at home. This definitely skews things in our favor. It’s quite clear us being 6th has a lot to do with the fact that our calendar has been extremely favorable and not simply quality of our game.

Newcastle for instance are a point behind us but have already played 6 out of the remaining 9 top half teams and have only us, Chelsea and Spurs remaining. They have an injury / absentees crisis now though so could very well fall further behind.

Brighton have actually been quite bad since they beat us. I don’t think anyone can reasonably say they’ve had a good season, they are clearly struggling with juggling PL and Europe.

Our record against the "top" teams was criticised heavily last season, yet we finished third.

At some point I expect the injury issues to clear, our attackers to find the back of the net, and our performances to improve. It'd be incredibly unlucky for that not to happen.

Only had to go back a few posts

So people who don’t share your views on ETH are , in your words, “sh*tting all over the clubs standards”.

I’m just saying that perhaps there’s times when people are responding hostile to your own hostility towards others.

This post is sharing a point of view as you mentioned, not haunting anyone, moaning about how he's voicing his opinion or telling him to say what I want. I'm replying on his point of view, maybe aggressively but that's not haunting. Haunting and bullying is attacking a certain poster and keep calling him out because he has an unpopular opinion, which I never did. I never searched for posts of those I'm replying to trying to find anything contradictory he said before and use it against him.. Etc.

I'm deliberately criticizing people who are moaning about us voicing their opinions, though. Many here who defend the guy and I never quoted. When I say the "manager cult" I mean those posters who want to shut us up whenever we criticize the guy.

It's not though. McTominay, sancho, Varane, Lindelof, Maguire, Rashford, martial, Dalot, wan bissaka are all not 'his players'.

I was wrong on calling you out for making shit up before, but I sure as hell ain't now.

So he needs to buy a full squad of 32 players to call the team his own? :lol:

He bought close to 11 new players

He gave Bruno the armband and renewed Dalot contract.

He is starting Scott McTominay ahead of his own signings Mount and Amrabat.

Varane was a main player for him alongside Martinez, his own signing, until his injury.

Rashford has been our best player under him and he never subs or bench him. Martial doesn't play anyway neither ahead of Rashford nor Hoijland. He's a squad player.

You are daydreaming if you think a manager will come in, throw the entire squad consisting of plus 30 players out of the window, then buy full new 30 players. Managers come in, sign their players, and keep players they like from the current squad. Which is what Ten Hag did.

This team is different from the one under Ole. Martinez, Onana, Caseimro, Hojlund and Antony all entered the main lineup. That's half of the team. The rest are Shaw, Varane, Rashford and Bruno.. All trusted by Ten Hag. Scott as I said is playing ahead two of his signings.