Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ole came in as what was supposed to be interim and turned the form book on its head. And he wasnt even competent.

The trick there was to recognise it was just a result of a change of manager and vibes, and then focus on appointing proper people in the summer.

We have 2 fecking games in the whole of January. We could have a new DoF and interim manager sorted out by February with minimal disruption.
It took us an year to finalize a sale of 25 %. What makes you fecking think we will get someone in by Feb? For argument sake, lets say we get some one by Feb. So If we get a new manager next week, what makes you think that will be the preferred choice of the hierarchy to be formed by Feb?

I'm done spoon feeding on this. Its not that hard to understand, sorry !

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
This is a bit superficial isn’t it?
It's honestly not.

I was one of those who were convinced that you finally got your hands on your first really good manager since 2013. One with real promise and who would get you back on the right track. Not Pep or Klopp level, but still a more than decent manager.

I personally chalked off the few pastings you got last season to the classic "manager adapting to a new league", especially when it's current best in the world. Martinez was a great signing, same for Casemiro even if short-term, Eriksen on a free was a coup, and Malacia a good back-up. Antony was a disappointment but you can't always strike gold. Despite what people say about your League Cup run, a trophy's a trophy and it does a starved team a world of good.

After that Cup win though... Well, you've not really been at the races. No big deal, summer's coming and a couple of new signings to build on what's been achieved last season and get things really going. Or so you'd think.

The problem is that it went from objectively good last season, to bad, to worse, to downright catastrophic after half of a season. In fact, the more your team looks like a Ten Hag one, the less performing it becomes. His tactical changes (and new signings) managed to transform a team that was very solid at home but relatively vulnerable away to one that gets now spanked at home and away. One that could challenge for the Top 4 to a mid-table one. One that can't score to save its life and leaks goals like the Titanic.You can't defend and you can't attack. Your league table position is only due to the piss easy run you've had until now. The only convincing wins were against Everton and a Chelsea team that's been at sea for one and a half year. Any decently organized team comfortably plays you off the park, be at home or away and you're more disjointed on the pitch than ever. Finishing bottom of a CL group with Copenhagen, Galatasaray and a Bayern team far from its best is stuff of legends.

Many of you rant about injuries, and you truly have a long list, but the thing is that the players who are now injured weren't exactly pulling up trees when they were fit. You then have a manager with the charisma of a wet napkin now fighting for his life, abandoning every single principle of his, and falling out with players whilst having zero results to back him up. He has signed every player under the sun that either played for him or in the Dutch league, yet has consistently been out coached, out fought and out thought at every single turn.

The arguments to keep EtH are exactly the same I've read here when Ole was about to get the boot. And nothing I've seen will convince me that Ten Hag's fate will be any different. He is not the chosen one, and the only thing that kept him in the job until now was the INEOS partial take-over. In fact, a defeat against Villa will more than likely get him his P45 now that Ratcliffe is officially in the game.

He's not cut out for the PL and will never be.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
It's honestly not.

I was one of those who were convinced that you finally got your hands on your first really good manager since 2013. One with real promise and who would get you back on the right track.

I personally chalked off the few pastings you got last season to the classic "manager adapting to a new league", especially when it's current best in the world. Martinez was a great signing, same for Casemiro even if short-term, Eriksen on a free was a coup, and Malacia a good back-up. Antony was a disappointment but you can't always struck gold. Despite what people say about your League Cup run, a trophy's a trophy and it does a starved team a world of good.

After that Cup win though... Well, you've not really been at the races. No big deal, summer's coming and a couple of new signings to build on what's been achieved last season and get things really going. Or so, you'd think.

The problem is that it went from objectively good last season, to bad, to worse, to downright catastrophic after half of a season. In fact, the more your team looks like a Ten Hag one, the less performing it becomes. His tactical changes (and new signings) managed to transform a team that was very solid at home but relatively vulnerable away to one that gets now spanked at home and away. One that could challenge for Top 4 to a mid-table one. One that now can't score to save its life and leaks goals like the Titanic.You can't defend and you can't attack. Your league table position is only due to the piss easy run you've had until now. The only convincing wins were against Everton and a Chelsea team that's been at sea for one and a half year. Any decently organized team comfortably plays you off the park, be at home or away. Finishing bottom of a CL group with Copenhagen, Galatasaray and a Bayern team far from its best is stuff of legend.

Many of you rant about injuries, and you truly have a long list, but the thing is that the players who are now injured weren't exactly pulling up trees when they were fit. You then have a manager with the charisma of a wet napkin now fighting for his life, abandoning every single principle of his, and falling out with players whilst having zero results to back him up. He has signed every player under the sun that either played for him or in the Dutch league, yet has consistently been out coached, out fought and out thought and at every single turn.

The arguments to keep EtH are exactly the same I've read here when Ole was about to get the boot. And nothing I've seen will convince me that Ten Hag's fate will be any different. He is not the chosen one, and the only thing that kept him in the job until now was the INEOS partial take-over. In fact, a defeat against Villa will more than likely seal his fate, now that Ratcliffe is officially in the game.
Indeed. There is no silver lining here. He is the ultimate snake oil salesman, and Caf should autocorrect the Pep Guardiola is my idol to EtH.

I do not think that there has ever been a manager who has been financially backed as much as him (he essentially signed every Dutch-related player who had the same agent as him) to fail at practically everything: we cannot defend, we cannot control, we cannot pass, we cannot create chances, we cannot score goals.

Moyes was sacked for finishing 7th, Ole and Mourinho were sixth in the table when sacked, and Rangnick finished sixth too. We are lucky to be eighth and are on course to finish 10-12th (based on GD and xG). Kinda crazy but I truly believe that if we are sent to Championship, we wouldn’t be able to keep up with Leicester and Ipswich.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Much of this seems like rocket science to many. SaCk EtH He'S uSeLeSs We WaNt ZiDaNe AnD wE dOnT lIkE bReXiT jIm Or ThAt CyClIsT wHaT dO tHeY kNoW.

I'm fecking sick of a lot of our "supporters" at the moment.
Yeah. Cultists such as you are all we need.

Blood Mage

It's honestly not.

I was one of those who were convinced that you finally got your hands on your first really good manager since 2013. One with real promise and who would get you back on the right track. Not Pep or Klopp level, but still a more than decent manager.

I personally chalked off the few pastings you got last season to the classic "manager adapting to a new league", especially when it's current best in the world. Martinez was a great signing, same for Casemiro even if short-term, Eriksen on a free was a coup, and Malacia a good back-up. Antony was a disappointment but you can't always struck gold. Despite what people say about your League Cup run, a trophy's a trophy and it does a starved team a world of good.

After that Cup win though... Well, you've not really been at the races. No big deal, summer's coming and a couple of new signings to build on what's been achieved last season and get things really going. Or so you'd think.

The problem is that it went from objectively good last season, to bad, to worse, to downright catastrophic after half of a season. In fact, the more your team looks like a Ten Hag one, the less performing it becomes. His tactical changes (and new signings) managed to transform a team that was very solid at home but relatively vulnerable away to one that gets now spanked at home and away. One that could challenge for the Top 4 to a mid-table one. One that now can't score to save its life and leaks goals like the Titanic.You can't defend and you can't attack. Your league table position is only due to the piss easy run you've had until now. The only convincing wins were against Everton and a Chelsea team that's been at sea for one and a half year. Any decently organized team comfortably plays you off the park, be at home or away and you're more disjointed on the pitch than ever. Finishing bottom of a CL group with Copenhagen, Galatasaray and a Bayern team far from its best is stuff the of legends.

Many of you rant about injuries, and you truly have a long list, but the thing is that the players who are now injured weren't exactly pulling up trees when they were fit. You then have a manager with the charisma of a wet napkin now fighting for his life, abandoning every single principle of his, and falling out with players whilst having zero results to back him up. He has signed every player under the sun that either played for him or in the Dutch league, yet has consistently been out coached, out fought and out thought at every single turn.

The arguments to keep EtH are exactly the same I've read here when Ole was about to get the boot. And nothing I've seen will convince me that Ten Hag's fate will be any different. He is not the chosen one, and the only thing that kept him in the job until now was the INEOS partial take-over. In fact, a defeat against Villa will more than likely get him his P45 now that Ratcliffe is officially in the game.

Agreed. I think he's completely out of his depth and with worse players we'd be in a relegation scrap. Dutch managers seem to really struggle with the pace of this league, Hiddink aside.

hobbers

It took us an year to finalize a sale of 25 %. What makes you fecking think we will get someone in by Feb? For argument sake, lets say we get some one by Feb. So If we get a new manager next week, what makes you think that will be the preferred choice of the hierarchy to be formed by Feb?

I'm done spoon feeding on this. Its not that hard to understand, sorry !
Ineos have already lined up their CEO and have almost certainly lined up the DoF, whether that turns out to be Mitchell or Ashworth. Why then would they not already be thinking about appointing an interim (or permanent if Potter is what they're all wanting) in late January?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Indeed. There is no silver lining here. He is the ultimate snake oil salesman, and Caf should autocorrect the Pep Guardiola is my idol to EtH.

I do not think that there has ever been a manager who has been financially backed as much as him (he essentially signed every Dutch-related player who had the same agent as him) to fail at practically everything: we cannot defend, we cannot control, we cannot pass, we cannot create chances, we cannot score goals.

Moyes was sacked for finishing 7th, Ole and Mourinho were sixth in the table when sacked, and Rangnick finished sixth too. We are lucky to be eighth and are on course to finish 10-12th (based on GD and xG). Kinda crazy but I truly believe that if we are sent to Championship, we wouldn’t be able to keep up with Leicester and Ipswich.
We are currently 14th on xPts. Imagine if this were a normal year without three absolutely hopeless promoted teams. Things could have been even uglier.

Winrar

Much of this seems like rocket science to many. SaCk EtH He'S uSeLeSs We WaNt ZiDaNe AnD wE dOnT lIkE bReXiT jIm Or ThAt CyClIsT wHaT dO tHeY kNoW.

I'm fecking sick of a lot of our "supporters" at the moment.
Are you a Manchester United supporter or a Ten Hag supporter?

No one is above the club, including our manager.

Pscholes18

Still think he is the manager to take us forward. He doesn't have the backing and support he had at Ajax. Therein his buys are being questioned and rightly so. Some of that is due to him not getting the players he wanted. I would hope once Ineos gets situated, they work with him and ask him to manage the way he knows, and deploy a style similar to what he had in Holland. With the help he needs in getting in the right players of course.

The way Ineos have been talking per reports (Twitter) they are not going to be messing about and will drop the deadwood from the club. ETH deserves to be given a chance here with a proper structure around him. All that being said, I fear he will get the sack and Potter will be brought in.

What do you lot think about Gore getting some starts in place of McT? I don't know a lot about him but looked decent in preseason.

OrcaFat

It's honestly not.

I personally chalked off the few pastings you got last season to the classic "manager adapting to a new league", especially when it's current best in the world. Martinez was a great signing, same for Casemiro even if short-term, Eriksen on a free was a coup, and Malacia a good back-up. Antony was a disappointment but you can't always strike gold. Despite what people say about your League Cup run, a trophy's a trophy and it does a starved team a world of good.

The problem is that it went from objectively good last season, to bad, to worse, to downright catastrophic after half of a season. In fact, the more your team looks like a Ten Hag one, the less performing it becomes. His tactical changes (and new signings) managed to transform a team that was very solid at home but relatively vulnerable away to one that gets now spanked at home and away. One that could challenge for the Top 4 to a mid-table one. One that can't score to save its life and leaks goals like the Titanic.You can't defend and you can't attack. Your league table position is only due to the piss easy run you've had until now. The only convincing wins were against Everton and a Chelsea team that's been at sea for one and a half year. Any decently organized team comfortably plays you off the park, be at home or away and you're more disjointed on the pitch than ever. Finishing bottom of a CL group with Copenhagen, Galatasaray and a Bayern team far from its best is stuff of legends.

It’s a very simplistic view of what makes a good manager and how to evaluate the work he’s doing. We’re not winning games we should win but everything I read about him and even comments coming from people at the club at the moment, give me some optimism. I think you’re mistaken about him. We’ll see anyway.

Revan

Assumptionman
Still think he is the manager to take us forward. He doesn't have the backing and support he had at Ajax. Therein his buys are being questioned and rightly so. Some of that is due to him not getting the players he wanted. I would hope once Ineos gets situated, they work with him and ask him to manage the way he knows, and deploy a style similar to what he had in Holland. With the help he needs in getting in the right players of course.

The way Ineos have been talking per reports (Twitter) they are not going to be messing about and will drop the deadwood from the club. ETH deserves to be given a chance here with a proper structure around him. All that being said, I fear he will get the sack and Potter will be brought in.

What do you lot think about Gore getting some starts in place of McT? I don't know a lot about him but looked decent in preseason.
EtH deserves feck all. He should thank his lucky stars that he has not been fired 10 times already in this season.

He might get some extra time, but it is not that he deserves it, but more cause the current custodians/owners have abdicated their duty.

RuudTom83

More so than results, I think how willing EtH is to work with the incoming regime and how they both gel together…will be the deciding factor on him keeping his job.

ti vu

More so than results, I think how willing EtH is to work with the incoming regime and how they both gel together…will be the deciding factor on him keeping his job.
ETH's in no position to be make that decision. Only when a manager has full trust and respect from the squad even result is not the best, that when he has the power to have new owner and directors dancing to his tune. Here everything is in sacking zone for ETH this season. There is nothing to cash in to buy him more time, than hoping the directors having no idea and no gut to change things.

OrcaFat

I think they will have a lot of meetings with him and will speak to everyone in the club and will make a proper assessment of what he’s done and what he plans to do. They’ll also look at the results.

They might tell him to focus on getting points right now and push back his preferred tactic until we have players more suited to it. They might tell him to carry on. They might fire him.

I don’t think results or league position this far will be the deciding factor.

TsuWave

I'm going to be honest, I no longer read your nonsense posts from the last reply, you've already outed yourself as knowing little. It's a waste of characters at this point.

And I've anchored nothing on ten hag. I think he's sackable like anyone else.
“I no longer read” - followed by confirmation that you do indeed read. And I didnt say you anchored anything on Ten Hag - it has to be poor reading comprehension at this point.

Ultimately “Any other manager would fail…” remains baseless.

Last edited:

TsuWave

Only possible to say in hindsight. He was a promising manager, someone worth giving a chance to. It turns out the job is too big for him and that's fine. Again, average PL manager tenure is only 2 years. We're not going to find THE manager without sacking managers. How long it took Liverpool to find Klopp. What if Villa had stuck with Gerrard, etc etc.
I don’t even think we rank especially high in terms of managerial changes. In fact, we take too long to part ways.

To quote:

I mean we have fans who somehow believe that 6 managers in 10 years is a lot or too much.

People should remember that during the same period of time Bayern had 8 different managers(including interims), Real Madrid had 6 different and 7 in total, Juventus had 4 different and 5 in total. Both Milan team have had 10 different managers. Napoli have had 7 different managers. The point being that United are arguably the club that underachieved the most and one of the key issue is the club reluctance to change things quickly which as far as I know is not an issue for Ineos Sport.

FortunaUtd

Only possible to say in hindsight. He was a promising manager, someone worth giving a chance to. It turns out the job is too big for him and that's fine. Again, average PL manager tenure is only 2 years. We're not going to find THE manager without sacking managers. How long it took Liverpool to find Klopp. What if Villa had stuck with Gerrard, etc etc.
Exactly. I would add that it cannot even be only about finding THE manager. There is not THE ONE, unless you happen to get an exceptional figure like Pep and Klopp. We cannot be blinded by the exception that was SAF. Managers can work out or not work out to varying degrees, it is about to setting targets and reasonable expectations, hiring a suitable candidate (which we did with Ten Hag) , and moving on if the candidate does not work out as expected. Or maybe the manager works out for a while and then not anymore. Sacking a manager is a normal occurrence, not some catastrophic breakdown.
I cannot think of a more erroneous line of thinking than than "we tried sacking managers and it has not worked, so now all that is left to do is to stick with the current one".

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I dont know why is it so hard to understand.

Who is this competent manager ? Who will decide it? Murtough ? Or the yet to be formed INEOS team ? Would it be a permanent appointment or temporary? What makes you think we won't have the same issues as of Ralf where coaches didn't want to join for 6 months ?

This is just a start. Figure out the other complications like type of managers, transfers , style , budget, sales etc. by yourselves.

It's not rocket science.
Why is it a right off if we’re only 8 behind top four with half a season to go. 8 points have been made up over a few games in the past. You can’t just write this season off

Reactions: Fortitude

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So pitiful how far Utd have fallen, not sure if Utd fans truly fathom what is happening before their eyes... I see alot of delusion and clinging with dear life onto the past and this showing signs of what Arsenal and Liverpool fans have had to endure for 20 and 30 years respectively... I feel for you guys but hooefull for your sake we talking 15 maybe 20 years and not the 30 years plus which will truly break you. Goodluck.
Your tagline. :lol:

TysonFury

Why is it a right off if we’re only 8 behind top four with half a season to go. 8 points have been made up over a few games in the past. You can’t just write this season off
It’s not a complete write off, but the chances of getting top 4 are very slim. Also, it’s only 8 points which excludes Man City who have a game in hand, but then you factor in the goal difference which is virtually an extra point, so in reality it’s actually a lot more than just 8 points.

I just hope ten Hag is given the opportunity until the end of the season, so he gets the chance to field his strongest team when the injured players come back.

ti vu

Perfect. The last thing they want to add is a manager search amidst all ongoing issues. They will sort the hierarchy first, review the squad and performance before making any call on manager.

Season is a write off anyway.
Then the new regime is off to a bad start.

Newcastle new owner didn't take long since the official takeover date till Steve Bruce getting replaced. They missed out on Emery who turned down the job, but it didn't take them long to appoint Howde. They were facing the threat of relegation battle too.

You can write off a season and still making change as soon as possible to prepare for next seasons. Things like this are not impossible to do simultaneously. What is the point of experienced high profile directors, if they review a squad like a manager does? Directors should have eyes for bigger picture. It doesn't take long for competent ones to use performance stats, and review up to date this season performance to pretty much having the idea of what the squad need in term of ridding and recruiting. And one thing stand out is ETH is much failing to perform in comparison to himself last season, and he seems also make the squad divisive. Not a good thing to continue.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
“I no longer read” - followed by confirmation that you do indeed read. And I didnt say you anchored anything of Ten Hag - it has to be poor reading comprehension at this point.

Ultimately “Any other manager would fail…” remains baseless.
I didn't say you used the term anchoring, and trust me I don't read nonsense.

Please, you need some education on our structure before commenting on who would and who wouldn't succeed. The fact that you so lazily assumed nothing material changed structurally in the last year just shows you have next to no understanding of the club. As I said, not worth my time.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Then the new regime is off to a bad start.

Newcastle new owner didn't take long since the official takeover date till Steve Bruce getting replaced. They missed out on Emery who turned down the job, but it didn't take them long to appoint Howde. They were facing the threat of relegation battle too.

You can write off a season and still making change as soon as possible to prepare for next seasons. Things like this are not impossible to do simultaneously. What is the point of experienced high profile directors, if they review a squad like a manager does? Directors should have eyes for bigger picture. It doesn't take long for competent ones to use performance stats, and review up to date this season performance to pretty much having the idea of what the squad need in term of ridding and recruiting. And one thing stand out is ETH is much failing to perform in comparison to himself last season, and he seems also make the squad divisive. Not a good thing to continue.
No one said we shouldn't make any changes . Manager change should be at bottom of the list is what I am saying. Say come Feb, if we have a CEO and sporting director and assume they have done their due diligence - if they decide to sack ETH, I am all for it.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
No one said we shouldn't make any changes . Manager change should be at bottom of the list is what I am saying. Say come Feb, if we have a CEO and sporting director and assume they have done their due diligence - if they decide to sack ETH, I am all for it.
Agree with this. It is so important to sort out the complete cluster the club has become. The next manager needs to be a coach without transfer responsibilities.

NLunited

Also, we are not sure if ETH's training methods have contributed to the injuries. We know that most of our injured players were not injured by opponents during a game, so it is reasonable to suspect that ETH's training methods have contributed to their injuries. He is stubborn about everything else, even when it doesn't work, it wouldn't surprise me if he is stubborn in his training methods, too.
I believe there is a review of that ongoing.

Understandable.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I mentioned the Leicester point the other day. No way would ETH be able to keep up with them. I’m not sure how a manager who can’t get the team to do anything right isn’t under the pressure that he should be.

The club has lost more than they’ve won this season, shouldn’t that ring huge fecking alarm bells.

TsuWave

Please, you need some education on our structure before commenting on who would and who wouldn't succeed. The fact that you so lazily assumed nothing material changed structurally in the last year just shows you have next to no understanding of the club. As I said, not worth my time.
I didn't assume so, I have already expounded on it - a point mind - you corroborated and engaged with for multiple posts going as far as agreeing Mourinho has outperformed Ten Hag - until you decided to pivot. Again, you can't argue objectively that any manager would fail under this structure. That makes no sense - it's waffle, and others have told you the same.

I suspect you are aware of this and it's the reason you've anchored yourself to something we've been over multiple times.

Red Comet

Ole came in as what was supposed to be interim and turned the form book on its head. And he wasnt even competent.
I know I'm digressing in an EtH thread, but I disagree on the assertion that Ole is incompetent. Yes his team was one dimensional and only relied on rapid counter attacks, but we managed to finish in top 3 for 2 consecutive seasons, something even more illustrious managers like LvG or Mou hasn't been able to achieve. We also played some of the most enjoyable football during that period.

His signings were not totally gash. Ole tried to pedal Haaland to Man Utd whilst he was under his management at FC Molde, but Moyes didn't want him. He pushed hard to sign Bellingham, which was then royally screwed up by Murtourgh if the reports were true. Out of his signings:
  • Bruno is still one of our key players on the team
  • AWB remains one of the best 1-1 tackler and is preferred over Dalot against stronger teams
  • Cavani did well during his time, as did Iglaho.
  • Varane is great when fit
  • Diallo is looking very promising right now
  • Daniel James was utilised for a very specific role and a limited player but at least we made profit off him when he moved to Leeds
  • Maguire - well I rather we had not signed him, but his stars were bright when we brought him to into the club
  • DvB - I'm not sure if this is an Ole signing; it felt like a panic signing by Murtough after a whole summer of failure
  • Telles - generally seen as a backup to Shaw
  • Sancho - he got found out, but back then he was one of the hottest prospect doing crazy numbers at Dortmund and everyone was generally super positive about his signing.
If anything, bringing a past-it Ronaldo back to Man Utd and then failing to control him was the key reason why his 3rd season gone to shite.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I didn't assume so, I have already expounded on it - a point mind - you corroborated and engaged with for multiple posts going as far as agreeing Mourinho has outperformed Ten Hag - until you decided to pivot. Again, you can't argue objectively that any manager would fail under this structure. That makes no sense - it's waffle, and others have told you the same.

I suspect you are aware of this and it's the reason you've anchored yourself to something we've been over multiple times.
You didn't assume so :lol: yes you did. And yes, you can argue the same, it's even been coined on live TV by pundits, and it's even been suggested here on the forum outside of myself.

Mate, no offence but I've said many times you're wasting my time. Can you just move on? You claim I pivot my views when I have for literally years said Jose was our best performing manager. I might have argued Ten Hag had a better year 1, but that's broadly it given he's not going to have a superb year 2.

My vsnedalt point however was that most managers HAVE NOT performed better than him, and his cards dealt are worse than the ones before.

You however seem to be focused on micro debates and struggling on very simple facets, even showing astounding ignorance at how your own club woks, which honestly doesn't make this debate worthy of mine or anyone's time.

Matt851

I wonder if any other club would have such a large section of their fan base still defending ten hag. It's incredible really given how bad we are doing, and yet our results have still been better than the performances. It's full on rangnick bad and I don't see that an interim manager would make us any worse and their is a chance they make us significantly better

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I mentioned the Leicester point the other day. No way would ETH be able to keep up with them. I’m not sure how a manager who can’t get the team to do anything right isn’t under the pressure that he should be.

The club has lost more than they’ve won this season, shouldn’t that ring huge fecking alarm bells.
Thing is though, there's a lot of teams with better forward lines than us. Our first choice front 3 aren't even clearly better than Palace's. I have to think they could be coached better too as they can't possibly be as bad as they've looked this year, but what's really worrying is that the only attacking option with real class is Rashford and he disappears into his own head every couple of years. The rest are either works in progress or of questionable quality.

foolsgold

I wonder if any other club would have such a large section of their fan base still defending ten hag. It's incredible really given how bad we are doing, and yet our results have still been better than the performances. It's full on rangnick bad and I don't see that an interim manager would make us any worse and their is a chance they make us significantly better
I think that we're all sick of short term thinking and the constant chopping and changing of managers. Most people now realise that the problems are structural and no one manager fixes it. Erik has a lot of credit in the bank from last year, people like how he dealt with CR7 and Sancho, they are willing to give the club and the new effective owners time to put in place the correct support around him to let him do a long term job. Sacking a manager isn't going to fix poor recruitment or infrastructure problems.

AndySmith1990

I think that we're all sick of short term thinking and the constant chopping and changing of managers. Most people now realise that the problems are structural and no one manager fixes it. Erik has a lot of credit in the bank from last year, people like how he dealt with CR7 and Sancho, they are willing to give the club and the new effective owners time to put in place the correct support around him to let him do a long term job. Sacking a manager isn't going to fix poor recruitment or infrastructure problems.
Changing a manager could, however, fix issues with tactics, coaching, and in-game management. You know, the things that directly affect the result of football matches

RORY65

Changing a manager could, however, fix issues with tactics, coaching, and in-game management. You know, the things that directly affect the result of football matches
The list of realistically available candidates looks deeply mediocre but might be better if we can hang on until the summer, our season is over already anyway. I don't think Ten Hag is the man for the job but is it worth making a change right now, before the other issues are fixed, to get Potter in or, if we're lucky, De Zerbi whose side have 2 league wins in the last 3 months.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Totally agree, football is about results. We need a manager to navigate the challenges at United. ETH has fallen short on the above with his stubbornness of playing McTominay now and Rashford at the start of the season. Continuing put a midfield where CM is struggle. Whether it is Mount and Bruno or McTominay and Bruno. He needs to be smart with his team selection but he is not so he needs to go.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Totally agree, football is about results. We need a manager to navigate the challenges at United. ETH has fallen short on the above with his stubbornness of playing McTominay now and Rashford at the start of the season. Continuing put a midfield where CM is struggle. Whether it is Mount and Bruno or McTominay and Bruno. He needs to be smart with his team selection but he is not so he needs to go.
But what I find most perplexing is his stubbornness to persist with the same absurd team selection even when things aren’t working. I wonder if it is an ego thing …

Chumpsbechumps

But what I find most perplexing is his stubbornness to persist with the same absurd team selection even when things aren’t working. I wonder if it is an ego thing …
To be fair , I think you have to have a massive ego to manage at that level, especially the top coaches. You think Klopp and Pep don’t have gargantuan egos? Of course they do, trying to get fixtures changed and use their status to influence things like VAR. Of course, the sport builds up players and managers to ridiculous degrees so they don’t really have much of a hope of remaining humble.

I mean none of us are privy to what goes on in training or why managers (every United manager seems to make weird calls) may persist with players or tactics that don’t seem to be working. We are discussing the club with a lot of important facts missing, some people are happy to allow journalists or “ITK” chancers fill in the blanks as if it’s facts.

Given all this, to presume with absolute confidence, that a professional manager doesn’t see the issues we can or knows less then ourselves about United squad decisions , now that’s ego. But sure isn’t the world is full of cock sure idiots and intelligent people full of doubt.

Last edited: