Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We’re up shit creek then because he’s out best player
I think the truth is somewhere in between. Is Bruno a player a top team should rely on as their main creator? No, he plays to risky, the team will always lose control of matches. But nonetheless he is currently the best creator in the team. So I don't think he should go right now, but I do think that the team should evolve that he can slowly be phased out. But that's not the first but one of the last steps in evolving this team to a true dominant force.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
  1. Winning a trophy in first season - Agreed
  2. Finishing 3rd first season - Agreed, although somehow lucky that other teams were supershite
  3. Development of Mainoo - I am not sure if we can speak of development, he is just getting chances which is good
  4. Development of Garnacho - agreed
  5. Development of Højlund - I don't see anything changing in his game, he is just getting some chances which is good, still he's not getting them enough
  6. Development of Dalot - agreed, although he was very good first part of last season already so it's more about giving him gametime ahead of AWB (seems like AWB is out of favour anyway)
  7. Development of McTominay into “clutch” player - agreed
  8. Dealing with Sancho - not sure what he has done right here, are we praising him for not playing him and falling out with the player?
  9. Dealing with Ronaldo - agreed
  10. Dealing with Rashford - in what way?
  11. Handling of meritocracy scenarios - in what way?
  12. Signing Martinez - top top decision
  13. Signing Højlund - we'll see about that
  14. Use of “clutch” players McTominay (most points won from goals - 13) - agreed
  15. Keeping us within touching distance of CL despite unprecedented injuries and Evans being our main CB with Amrabat as a LB at times - no comment, doesn't seem to me like we're in touching distance
  16. Our build up play when everyone is fit - absolutely disagree
  17. Our high pressing and turnovers are the best in the league - absolutely disagree, out pressing is two way sword and a reason we play tennis games with no control, you also mentioned this in other comment about midfield being too open so that's not something we should praise ETH for
  18. Our third man runs (especially underlapping from RB and overlapping LB) - no comment, we just commit bodies forward, is that a good or bad thing - hard to say (see point above)
  19. A win % better than any manager in United’s history despite having half a season without any LB, his best CBs, his only DM, his wingers and strikers on an off too - agreed, how much of that is due to last season success though?
You can also cherrypick number of things he got wrong, but even in this list of things you pointed out as "good" I still strongly disagree overall.

The biggest "positive" is I thought we're spiralling into Rangnick/Chelsea-esque decline a few weeks ago, and ETH somehow was able to steady a ship - even if I think we massively overachieved in the last few games, a win is a win and the manager deserves kudos.
The biggest negative for me is our football style is a disaster - unless everyone is fit and firing on top form, what happened for about 3 months since ETH took over (early stages of last season until we won the Cup). And somehow fans are buying into "he doesn't have all players available" as an excuse for that. It should be considered but it's not something to explain the massive drop from the level of what this team is capable of.
To counter #19, ETH has the highest loss percentage in the league. It's one or the other with him and it's the usual bollocks of cherry picking favourable stats.

NLunited

To counter #19, ETH has the highest loss percentage in the league. It's one or the other with him and it's the usual bollocks of cherry picking favourable stats.
That is true for this year, last season we had the most clean sheets, just saying.

You are better off with more wins and less draws. Although I expect the results will start to become more normal with many players returned from injury.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That is true for this year, last season we had the most clean sheets, just saying.

You are better off with more wins and less draws. Although I expect the results will start to become more normal with many players returned from injury.
Yet this season we've had 7 clean sheets and conceded 33, Everton have more clean sheets than us this season, just saying.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That's true, but having more losses, more wins and much less draws is still worse. For example Mourinho managed United for 93 PL matches (50W 26D 17L) - which means 53.8% win percentage and 1.89 points per game. EtH is at 62 (36W 8D 18L) which is an impressive 58.1% win percentage and yet at 1.87 ppg a slightly worse average.

Hughes35

He's dealing with what we have, which is a lot of dross. While McT is banging them in, we all know he is purely a squad player. Bruno has to go. Onana might come good, not so much for Antony, which was a horrible, horrible buy. We need at least 4-5 new signings, perhaps not requested by ETH. Give him a bit more time.
But a lot of the dross are his signings? Onana, Anthony & Mount have been dreadful. (Mount has been injured granted)

mctrials23

Yet this season we've had 7 clean sheets and conceded 33, Everton have more clean sheets than us this season, just saying.
I mean, we've had our first choice defence for about 6 games all season and for a chunk of it we haven't had more than 1-2 of our first choice defence.

NLunited

That's true, but having more losses, more wins and much less draws is still worse. For example Mourinho managed United for 93 PL matches (50W 26D 17L) - which means 53.8% win percentage and 1.89 points per game. EtH is at 62 (36W 8D 18L) which is an impressive 58.1% win percentage and yet at 1.87 ppg a slightly worse average.
Let’s say you are level with a team and there is 10 minutes left. If there is a 50-50 chance between winning or losing if you go full attack, should you do it? Or is it better to settle for the draw and hope for a lucky winner?

It is better to take the risk and go for the win.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Thanks for pointing out that captain Obvious. And why is that?
We're shit defensively, like we were shit offensively. Imagine you'll cry about injuries, despite the only long term injuries that have occurred to our defense being Shaw and Martinez. We leaked a number of goals early in the season due to Onana and then due to us being defensively crap and repeating the same errors time and time again. Yet even with our first choice defense against Wolves we still managed to concede 3 goals. I'm sure you can find another excuse, obviously ignoring that these days it's a squad game and you should be able to cope with injuries and not fall to pieces.

Some are clearly happy to accept excuses and give the Manager a free pass for what has been a crap season.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We're shit defensively, like we were shit offensively. Imagine you'll cry about injuries, despite the only long term injuries that have occurred to our defense being Shaw and Martinez. We leaked a number of goals early in the season due to Onana and then due to us being defensively crap and repeating the same errors time and time again. Yet even with our first choice defense against Wolves we still managed to concede 3 goals. I'm sure you can find another excuse, obviously ignoring that these days it's a squad game and you should be able to cope with injuries and not fall to pieces.

Some are clearly happy to accept excuses and give the Manager a free pass for what has been a crap season.
Do you believe Maguire, Evans or Lindelöf to be of the level of Martinez?

Do you believe Reguilón or Amrabat or Lindelof at LB offer the same level as Shaw?

These are key players and I’d confidently say our best 2 defenders. So if you lose your best and have no other left footers who can pick a pass and deal with a press, and overlap and create etc…. Then yeah you’ll struggle.

Nobody is giving him a free pass it’s just adding context.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Do you believe Maguire, Evans or Lindelöf to be of the level of Martinez?

Do you believe Reguilón or Amrabat or Lindelof at LB offer the same level as Shaw?

These are key players and I’d confidently say our best 2 defenders. So if you lose your best and have no other left footers who can pick a pass and deal with a press, and overlap and create etc…. Then yeah you’ll struggle.

Nobody is giving him a free pass it’s just adding context.
Personally I think Varane is a better defender than Shaw. We certainly lose something offensively when Shaws missing, but we had Regulion and barely used the lad and despite him not being the best defender he was semi decent going forward and certainly a better option than Amrabat/Lindelof.

Lets also not forget that Shaws injurys come from ETH rushing him back into the first eleven. On top of that ETH fell out with Varane and threw him on the bench for a number of games.

Context is great, i'm happy under the circumstances for him to continue till the Summer. But I hope that we assess our options and look to see if we can do better in the Summer. I don't see ETH as a long term solution here, he's part of the problem not a solution. You can disagree, we all are entitled to our opinions, but the over emphasis of our downfall this season being entirely due to injuries is rubbish.

Vidooq

Yeah, let's ignore the fact that United has probably been the team with the most different central pairings in the League, or a different back 4. You are conveniently leaving out the fact that Casemiro was injured as well. Or the fact that Maguire got injured when he just played himself into form. Won't mention Varane or Wan-Bisaka.

We see what happens when you take Rodri out of a well-oiled machine like City is, no wins in 5 I believe. I'm not defending the manager because of this, but you need to stop playing down the injury list like it's only 2 players and that this does not have an effect on the team.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, let's ignore the fact that United has probably been the team with the most different central pairings in the League, or a different back 4. You are conveniently leaving out the fact that Casemiro was injured as well. Or the fact that Maguire got injured when he just played himself into form. Won't mention Varane or Wan-Bisaka.

We see what happens when you take Rodri out of a well-oiled machine like City is, no wins in 5 I believe. I'm not defending the manager because of this, but you need to stop playing down the injury list like it's only 2 players and that this does not have an effect on the team.
Sigh.

Casemiro - He was in bad form pre injury. Remember the majority of the Caf wanted him flogged off in Winter calling him "past it".
Maguire - He's missed 6 games total this season from injury. Hardly an issue. CB is arguably our strongest position.
Varane - He's missed 4 games total this season from injury. He hasn't been injured, he's been on the naughty step for unknown reasons.
Wan Bissaka - He's missed 9 games from injury. He's also been benched in favour of Dalot this season. Again, many people on here complain about him.

The only real problem we've faced with injury this season has been at LB. That's been a problem for us with Shaw and Malacia (who I think is crap anyway) out injured. But as I said previously, Shaw was rushed back in December and should have been rotated a bit but ETH was desperate at that point. Understandable he used him in that way, but his mini break down was partly due to ETH. Let's also not forget that Shaw has always been injury prone. Hardly breaking news right?

Gordon Godot

Sigh.

Casemiro - He was in bad form pre injury. Remember the majority of the Caf wanted him flogged off in Winter calling him "past it".
Maguire - He's missed 6 games total this season from injury. Hardly an issue. CB is arguably our strongest position.
Varane - He's missed 4 games total this season from injury. He hasn't been injured, he's been on the naughty step for unknown reasons.
Wan Bissaka - He's missed 9 games from injury. He's also been benched in favour of Dalot this season. Again, many people on here complain about him.

The only real problem we've faced with injury this season has been at LB. That's been a problem for us with Shaw and Malacia (who I think is crap anyway) out injured. But as I said previously, Shaw was rushed back in December and should have been rotated a bit but ETH was desperate at that point. Understandable he used him in that way, but his mini break down was partly due to ETH. Let's also not forget that Shaw has always been injury prone. Hardly breaking news right?
Exactly, many of the changes in CB have been ETH seemingly not sure which pairing he wants. Also the lack of rotation last year and rushing players back has added to injury problems

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
  1. Dealing with Sancho - not sure what he has done right here, are we praising him for not playing him and falling out with the player?
Mostly agree with your comment but this point sticks out, Sancho's been a useless signing under every manager he played under. Ten Hag gave the lazy, feckless oaf 3 months off last year and was repaid by even worse performances. Sending him away was the right decision.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Let’s say you are level with a team and there is 10 minutes left. If there is a 50-50 chance between winning or losing if you go full attack, should you do it? Or is it better to settle for the draw and hope for a lucky winner?

It is better to take the risk and go for the win.
If it is 50-50 yes. But if it's 20-80, no. And that's more like how it goes for EtH

AltiUn

Yeah we either win or lose, we've more chance of seeing a unicorn than drawing it seems.

tjb

That's arguable but even assuming he is , fundamental issue with Bruno is he needs to be fulcrum of the team to justify his place but if you make him your main man then you are limiting the ceiling of the team So to speak .

You can't simply have such a limited player playing in middle for your team it's simply not worth it .
This for me is why ETH has to go. I find it truly laughable how fans are willing to easily turn on players to defend such an average manager. Bruno has easily been our best player. Unlike ETH, he's proven himself. Most, if not almost all of our chances come from him. I remember the start of the 19/20 season and what we looked like before him, and its so sad that our fans don't truly appreciate the talented players in our squad. They never do. Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro, Licha, Varane and Shaw. For United, particularly Bruno and Rashford should not be questioned, but here we are, with another average manager who can't even get a system working after 18 months, talking about the dross he has to deal with. When these players are actually proven, unlike him. How can anyone argue for time for him and act like their in support of the club, when the argument is that we need to dump our best players. Isn't that hypocritical. He should get time despite not playing good football for most of his time here, yet players who have done well with different managers, in national teams and even saved him last season on individual skill should go, because us playing bad footballl is on them, rather than the guy who sees the whole plan and gives the instructions on the pitch.

For me, backing him on time and asking for transfers is truly hypocritical. Individual skill is the only reason we create any chances at this point. Individual skill is the only reason we haven't conceded more goals. His system has failed at every point this season. Yet he should stay??? Sounds like people are willing to throw our players under the bus again to justify not sacking a manager. Ironically, actually having a structure will make that impossible. No forward thinking team would sell Bruno to keep Ten Haag.

stevoc

That's arguable but even assuming he is , fundamental issue with Bruno is he needs to be fulcrum of the team to justify his place but if you make him your main man then you are limiting the ceiling of the team So to speak .

You can't simply have such a limited player playing in middle for your team
it's simply not worth it .
Limited in what context?

stevoc

What has been good:
  1. Winning a trophy in first season
  2. Finishing 3rd first season
  3. Development of Mainoo
  4. Development of Garnacho
  5. Development of Højlund
  6. Development of Dalot
  7. Development of McTominay into “clutch” player
  8. Dealing with Sancho
  9. Dealing with Ronaldo
  10. Dealing with Rashford
  11. Handling of meritocracy scenarios
  12. Signing Martinez
  13. Signing Højlund
  14. Use of “clutch” players McTominay (most points won from goals - 13)
  15. Keeping us within touching distance of CL despite unprecedented injuries and Evans being our main CB with Amrabat as a LB at times.
  16. Our build up play when everyone is fit
  17. Our high pressing and turnovers are the best in the league
  18. Our third man runs (especially underlapping from RB and overlapping LB)
  19. A win % better than any manager in United’s history despite having half a season without any LB, his best CBs, his only DM, his wingers and strikers on an off too.
There is more but you won’t listen even if I post it and I disagree with large parts of what you’ve said. Name me the 10+ players he’s supposedly signed for example because that one is hilarious!

With regards to what you think you’re seeing on the pitch I suggest you look into tactics a bit more.

I feel sorry for you.

Again I think you’re so far from having a contextual understanding of the league that I can’t be bothered spending any more time today.

Tag me tomorrow and I’ll have the energy to go again.

Look at how many players have been and gone under Guardiola in his time at City and look at the pace at which they are swapped out. It all takes time and structure above the manager too.
11 it took him the best part of 18 months to drop Antony from being one of the first names on the team sheet when fit.

Mike Smalling

Dealing with Sancho - not sure what he has done right here, are we praising him for not playing him and falling out with the player?
Dealing with Rashford - in what way?
Regarding Sancho, I'd commend ETH for taking a stand against unacceptable behavior. He said something very mild in a press conference, Sancho reacted publicly and ETH dealt with it from there. We don't know everything that has gone on, but I'd say it's a positive that he didn't back down to player power. Sancho has delivered nothing anyway, so he's quickly been forgotten.

Regarding Rashford, he has twice gotten it right after Rashford's mistakes. Last season he disciplined Rashford for being late, he came on to score the winner and laughed it off in the post-match interview. Case closed. Similar story this season after Rashford's bender. ETH managed to put a lid on it quite quickly in both cases. I think there is more going on with Rashford, but I don't necessarily think it's something ETH can control.

Neither are massive points in ETH's favor, but I imagine that's what he meant.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Actually we have had a decent amount of Fergie time winners.
True. Nonetheless it is a statistical fact that EtH slightly increased the win percentage over his predecessors, but hugely increased the loss percentage.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If it is 50-50 yes. But if it's 20-80, no. And that's more like how it goes for EtH
No it doesn't, the loses are well deserved losses, not the losses because we went for a winner and conceded last min goal.

Also i would prefer more wins and losses than less wins, more draws and less losses.

Draws are as good as losses, at least you can enjoy the win, but can never enjoy the draws. Draws are as shit and exhausting as losses, slightly less.

AltiUn

Loves breaking a record.

Chelsea have the most expensive squad in the world, the UEFA report only includes Chelsea's transfers up to 2022 which conveniently leaves off nearly £1bn in signings :rolleyes:

Vidooq

Sigh.

The only real problem we've faced with injury this season has been at LB. That's been a problem for us with Shaw and Malacia (who I think is crap anyway) out injured. But as I said previously, Shaw was rushed back in December and should have been rotated a bit but ETH was desperate at that point. Understandable he used him in that way, but his mini break down was partly due to ETH. Let's also not forget that Shaw has always been injury-prone. Hardly breaking news right?
This is a nice effort, color-coded, to show how much of absentees United has had VS the other teams. I hope this puts it in perspective for you. Otherwise, I can't help you see that United does have issues with injuries.

Based on a discussion in the Erik Ten Hag thread I present in my view the biggest reason we've failed to perform consistently at a high level whilst other teams haven't suffered as much in the top 6.

Each side in the Top 6 (Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa and United) have been broken down player by player into their % mins in the PL also with their (in my opinion) best XI and a brief comment as to how this looks in terms of key player losses and who has played in their stead. It also take a small look into the future in some cases with current injuries.

75% or above
50% to 74%
0% to 49%
* = GK or additional circumstance (e.g. Loan)

Liverpool
Alisson 88%
Trent 75% Van Dijk 89%
Konate 53% Robertson 40%
Mac Allister 68%
Jones 43% Szobozslai 77%
Salah 81%
____________ Díaz 69%
Núñez 66%

The only position up for debate here is Jones but as you can see Liverpool's overall availability taking into account rotations is healthy. The best players, Salah, Van Dijk, Alisson, Szobozslai and Trent all have played at least 3/4 of the PL season minutes to date with Robertson and Thiago arguably the only significant players absent through injury for a longer period. The rest of the squad has been used more in rotation as and when. Joe Gomez is the player who I wouldn't consider in the strongest XI but has played more minutes than Robertson. Injury wise Matip is ACL so out for the season, Szobozsali has a hamstring issue but could be back next week and Thiago is unlikely to return anytime soon but its not a 'big big injury', Trent has a knee issue unsure if he will or won't play on it and Salah has a thigh injury but could return this week.

Alisson 88%
Kelleher 13%*
Adrian 0%*

TAA 75%
Bradley 7%

Van Dijk 89%
Konate 53%
Joe Gomez 54%

Matip 36%
Quansah 16%

Robertson 40%
Tsimikas 31%

Mac Allister 68%
Endo 38%
Bajcetic 0%

Szoboszlai 77%
Jones 43%
Thiago 0%
Gravenberch 38%

Salah 81%
Diaz 69%
Jota 47%
Gakpo 43%
Elliot 26%

Doak 1%

Núñez 66%

Manchester City
Ederson 92%
Walker 92% Dias 76%
Ake 66% Gvardiol 71%
Rodri 83%
De Brunye 11% Bernardo 73%
Foden 90% Haaland 72% Doku 52%

Now there could be arguments made for the inclusion of several players here such is the strength in depth of the Man City squad but even allowing for any change you'd choose to make the only long term injuries have been De Brunye (massive of course) and Stones. The rest have been used in rotation as you would expect with a squad as strong as City's. I'd say they are the 2nd least affected side by injuries in the top 6. The only positions I consider up for debate in this starting XI are Doku and Ake. Álvarez is actually the most played outfield player with 94% mins played and would be the one to replace De Brunye in the most played XI. Currently no players are significantly injured Kovacic has a knock, Gvardiol being assessed and Grealish a hip issue being assessed.

Ederson 92%
Ortega 8%*
Carson 0%*

Walker 92%
Lewis 22%

Dias 76%
Aké 66%
Stones 29%
Akanji 64%

Gvardiol 71%

Gomez 1%

Rodri 83%
Kovacic 42%
Nunes 30%

De Brunye 11%

Bernardo Silva 73%

Foden 90%
Doku 52%
Grealish 34%
Bobb 6%

Haaland 72%
Álvarez 94%

Arsenal
Raya 83%
White 84% Saliba 100% Gabriel 84%
Zinchenko 66%
Rice 96%
Ødegaard 87%
Havertz 67%
Saka 92% Jesus 51% Martinelli 72%
Arsenal's first choice XI feels a bit more clear cut but I would accept an argument for Partey over Havertz. Regardless you can see they've had their best XI available the majority of the season the only exception being Jesus who still have over 1/2 the available minutes for Arsenal. Partey and Timber stand out as longer injuries to squad players but beyond that they've not been hit too badly. Saliba 100% is mind boggling considering his role! Timber is expected back April, Zinchenko has a calf issue but could be back this week, Partey has a hamstring issue no idea when back, Vieira is back in the next few weeks and Jesus has a knee problem but could be back within days too.

Raya 83%
Ramsdale 21%
Hein 0%*

White 84%
Tomiyasu 29%
Soares 1%

Saliba 100%
Gabriel 84%

Timber 2%
Kiwor 20%

Zinchenko 66%

Rice 96%
Partey 12%
Jorginho 23%
Elneny 1%

Ødegaard 87%
Havertz 67%
Vieira 11%
Smith Rowe 10%

Martinelli 72%
Trossard 38%

Saka 92%
Nelson 6%

Jesus 51%
Nketiah 47%

Tottenham Hotspur
Vicario 100%
Porro 96%
Romero 71% van de Ven 60% Udogie 82%
Sarr 59% Bissouma 58%
Kulusevski 86% Maddison 53% Son 80%
Richardson 59%
The Spurs midfield pairing is very much up for debate so argue amongst yourselves as to who you'd swap in but this myth of Spurs injuries have been as bad across the season just isn't statistically true. They have absolutely been impacted by losing Maddison but beyond that the loss isn't anywhere near our levels. They are I'd say the 2nd most affected by injuries out of the top 6. No major injuries to report currently but Lo Celso back this week, Solomon out for the foreseeable with knee issues and Sessegnon no idea.

Forster 0%*
Austin 0%*
Whiteman 0%*

Porro 96%
Royal 36%

Romero 71%
van de Ven 60%

Dragusin 2*
Dier* 11%

Udogie 82%
Davies 42%
Sessengnon 0%

Sarr 59%
Bissouma 58%

Bentacur 19%
Højbjerg 45%
Skipp 26%

Maddison 53%
Lo Celso 19%

Son 80%
Kulusevski 86%

Johnson 61%
Solomon 9%
Gil 9%

Richarlison 59%
Véliz 2%
Werner* 14% (approx of season)
88% (since loan)

Aston Villa
Martinez 96%
Konsa 93%
Carlos 54% Torres 70%
Cash 69%
Kamara 77% Luiz 91% Digne 71%
McGinn 95%
Diaby 68% Watkins 98%
Aston Villa are very hard to pin to a formation so I've tried my best to show what I believe is in Emery's mind the best mix of players in roughly the right places. So don't shoot me! The only notable lower % player is Carlos but with Konsa able to play RCB/CB and Cash they've rotated well. Diaby has been rotated with Bailey for their pacey outlet option so overall looking very healthy with key players like Martinez, Konsa, Luis, McGinn and Watkins all in the 90+% bracket. Mings is long term injured but not a player any Villa fan would consider in their best XI. They have more recently picked up injuries and I would expect them to struggle more now with Kamara and Cash out. Kamara is out long term knee, Buendia is in recovery (knee) our for the season likely, Mings similar, Konsa likely out for 3/4 weeks.

Martinez 96%
Olsen* 4%
Gauci* 0%

Konsa 93%
Cash 69%
Kesler Hayden 0%

Torres 70%
Carlos 54%

Mings 1%
Lenglet 32%
Chambers 0%
Hause 0%

Digne 71%
Moreno 29%

Kamara 77%
Luiz 91%
McGinn 95%

Ramsey 30%
Tielemans 34%
Iroggebunam 1%

Diaby 68%
Bailey 50%

Zainolo 26%
Buendia 0%
Rogers 5%

Watkins 98%
Durán 8%

Manchester United
Onana 100%
Dalot 89%
Varane 42% Martinez 26% Shaw 43%
Casemiro 42% Mainoo 36%

Garnacho 66% Bruno 96% Rashford 76%
Højlund 64%
Now we can debate Dalot vs AWB, I've gone Dalot because he's had the most minutes and so as not to be accused of trying to hide high % playing 'starters', and I've opted Varane over Maguire but I'd argue Varane is better and it's only a 5% difference in minutes share.

When you consider Mainoo's minutes would likely have gone to Mount while injured we've been really royally fecked over by injuries. Look at us compared to the top 6 sides.

Dealing with some level of injury is absolutely to be expected but 5 of what many would consider our best XI haven't played more than 57% of our PL matches so far this season. Our best CB has missed 3/4 of the season so far and looks to be missing even more. And we've been without our best midfield pairing for 64% of the season. Now add in Champions League, League Cup and FA cup fixtures and you can see why we might have found it difficult.

The impact injuries have had on our defence is unprecedented we have one player (Dalot) who has been able to play 50%+ of our games.

In midfield due to injuries and fitness we've had to rely on McTominay for 56% of our game time but with the squad back and fit you can see his role is reduced to clutch player (impact sub).

Our record since having most players back has been 4 wins in 4. But we have Martinez out until April earliest, Martial out till April, Malacia expected back end of Feb/Early march, Shaw hopefully back this weekend. Mount also back hopefully next week. Wan Bissaka out for the foreseeable.

Onana 100%
Bayindir 0%*
Heaton 0%*

AWB 41%

Dalot 89%

Martinez 26%
Maguire 47%
Varane 42%
Lindelof 44%
Evans 41%
Kambwala 12%

Shaw 43%
Malacia 0%

Casemiro 42%
Amrabat 32%

Mainoo 36%

McTominay 56%
Eriksen 39%

Fernandes 96%
Mount 19%

Rashford 76%
Garnacho 66%
Antony 43%
Diallo 2%

Højlund 64%
Martial 21%

Thoughts?

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
No it doesn't, the loses are well deserved losses, not the losses because we went for a winner and conceded last min goal.

Also i would prefer more wins and losses than less wins, more draws and less losses.

Draws are as good as losses, at least you can enjoy the win, but can never enjoy the draws. Draws are as shit and exhausting as losses, slightly less.
Yeah I agree I didn't word that well...

It's more like EtH's approach to any match is this 50-50 going for a winner approach from the first minute on.

And I strongly disagree on equating draws and losses. A draw in the league gives a point and in a cup competition a draw and a win will always see you through, a win and a loss can go either way. You are however right about how enjoyable (or not) they usually are.

gajender

This for me is why ETH has to go. I find it truly laughable how fans are willing to easily turn on players to defend such an average manager. Bruno has easily been our best player. Unlike ETH, he's proven himself. Most, if not almost all of our chances come from him. I remember the start of the 19/20 season and what we looked like before him, and its so sad that our fans don't truly appreciate the talented players in our squad. They never do. Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro, Licha, Varane and Shaw. For United, particularly Bruno and Rashford should not be questioned, but here we are, with another average manager who can't even get a system working after 18 months, talking about the dross he has to deal with. When these players are actually proven, unlike him. How can anyone argue for time for him and act like their in support of the club, when the argument is that we need to dump our best players. Isn't that hypocritical. He should get time despite not playing good football for most of his time here, yet players who have done well with different managers, in national teams and even saved him last season on individual skill should go, because us playing bad footballl is on them, rather than the guy who sees the whole plan and gives the instructions on the pitch.

For me, backing him on time and asking for transfers is truly hypocritical. Individual skill is the only reason we create any chances at this point. Individual skill is the only reason we haven't conceded more goals. His system has failed at every point this season. Yet he should stay??? Sounds like people are willing to throw our players under the bus again to justify not sacking a manager. Ironically, actually having a structure will make that impossible. No forward thinking team would sell Bruno to keep Ten Haag.
Calm down and I have been in Ten Hag out camp for while now and been critical of our quality of football Under him even before that

And my opinion of Bruno has nothing to do with Ten Hag staying or leaving I came to that conclusion Under Ole's Tenure itself infact Ten Hag making him captain was major red flag for me , Just like you have realised Ten Hag isn't Good enough eventually you would come to terms Bruno isn't either .

Valencia Shin Crosses

Sigh.

Seems we are on the same side with this one, pretty much agree with every response you've posted.

Overall feels like one side of the line is "ETH has been screwed by injuries and now we are mostly healthy look at the results" and the other side is "Injuries are part of every squad's season, that shouldn't excuse the completely horrific performances/tactics/ results for majority of the season so far. And many of those injuries have been a bit overblown besides Martinez and the LB's". Doubt either side will change their mind now.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Despite us never being midtable under ETH you have seen enough that we will eventually fall back there?

Weird.
No?
We have 50% win percentage (this is after our recent picking up in form)
We won 1 CL out of 6 under him.
Goal difference i think about zero and its mid feb.
Humiliations at home against thw likes of bournemouths and brightons.
And the 7-0
Anthony, Onana.

Bruh, the man is epitome of mediocrity.
You don't see it because you love the club. I too love the club, but giving him another ronaldo or another 400mil not going to make him SAF. Please snap out of it.

stevoc

Physically weak, Unable to work well in congested areas due inability to dribble and evade press and lack of ball progression , erratic passing , questionable composure .
If Bruno is a limited player then most footballers are limited.

He's one of the most creative players in Europe over the last 5 years. Mad how underrated he is.

NLunited

True. Nonetheless it is a statistical fact that EtH slightly increased the win percentage over his predecessors, but hugely increased the loss percentage.
Well yes for sure, all those away game losses. Which is one of the things we are working on.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No?
We have 50% win percentage (this is after our recent picking up in form)
We won 1 CL out of 6 under him.
Goal difference i think about zero and its mid feb.
Humiliations at home against thw likes of bournemouths and brightons.
And the 7-0
Anthony, Onana.

Bruh, the man is epitome of mediocrity.
You don't see it because you love the club. I too love the club, but giving him another ronaldo or another 400mil not going to make him SAF. Please snap out of it.
I can't take any post seriously that spells the name of one of our players wrong

And folks need to get over SAF, we will never have another manager like that and it's pointless to compare todays managers to him

Valencia Shin Crosses

If Bruno is a limited player then most footballers are limited.

He's one of the most creative players in Europe over the last 5 years. Mad how underrated he is.

None of what you quoted and responded to is incorrect though, and many of those qualities are vital for midfielders in today’s game. No other top team plays with such a limited on the ball- primary creator.

Rojofiam

I wonder what the general feeling will be on here if we climb back to 4th or 5th, secure UCL with promising football and then INEOS decide to keep ETH.

After all these very encouraging appointments and the targeting of experienced, football people recently, will people be more willing to give ETH the benefit of doubt, if INEOS themselves place their trust in him to make it work under a proper footballing setup?

Last edited: