Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

If only we had some form of staff dedicated to monitoring returning from injury and helping rehabilitate injury. You know some form of staff with a medical background maybe?

Oh no yeah let’s blame Ten Hag instead.

We signed a highly rated Head of Sports Medicine from Arsenal last summer.

What I absolutely find baffling is his refusal to change formation or tactics all season long. We saw it vs Wolves last August and every single game has been the same. We have no control in any game. We are dire to watch. We can't defend a lead away from home. We have too many injuries. I have no faith in him.
He keeps saying its a process and stick to the plan, when everybody else can see a midfield with McTom and Bruno in it will never work consistently. His subbing less poor players and leaving Bruno and Mctom on and occasionally subbing Rashford when its too late is mindblowing. Is he frightened of player power? Thought he was his own man when he joined. What has changed him?

Getting Martinez continually injured is the biggest sackable offence. Like what is he doing?

If he's not ready he's not ready...

If only we had some form of staff dedicated to monitoring returning from injury and helping rehabilitate injury. You know some form of staff with a medical background maybe?

Oh no yeah let’s blame Ten Hag instead.
Who allowed him to fly out to the states to be with Argentina NT during his recovery?

Martinez just another player we can't rely on (I'm not convinced he's all that anyway).

We need at least 5 new starters and a new manager next season if we're serious about challenging.

I don't see other top managers needing to sim the season to get out of this mess. They can manage in real life just fine.
Every single CB has had a significant injury this season. We’ve had no LB all season and one RB in Dalot.

Martinez just another player we can't rely on (I'm not convinced he's all that anyway).

We need at least 5 new starters and a new manager next season if we're serious about challenging.

Who would you buy and appoint?

Every single CB has had a significant injury this season. We’ve had no LB all season and one RB in Dalot.

Aye exactly. When all the players start falling like flies, you start looking at their day-to-day management instead of individual injury proneness.

Aye exactly. When all the players start falling like flies, you start looking at their day-to-day management instead of individual injury proneness.
Whatever is happening needs investigation. This is ridiculous.

Getting Martinez continually injured is the biggest sackable offence. Like what is he doing?

If he's not ready he's not ready...
I completely agree but EtH probably thinks he's one of 'his own' players and one of the best in terms of quality so he wanted him back ASAP. Still, it's beyond ridiculous to do this really.

This whole thing about the intense training sessions has produced feck all in terms of results or performances all season. We just don't look a physically strong and energetic team, except for 30 minutes against Liverpool, and it's caused us massive injury problems. Something just seems very wrong in that regard.

I completely agree but EtH probably thinks he's one of 'his own' players and one of the best in terms of quality so he wanted him back ASAP. Still, it's beyond ridiculous to do this really.

This whole thing about the intense training sessions has produced feck all in terms of results or performances all season. We just don't look a physically strong and energetic team, except for 30 minutes against Liverpool, and it's caused us massive injury problems. Something just seems very wrong in that regard.

This is a good point.

It's not like this intense training has resulted in us outrunning opponents and looking super fit and athletic. We look fecking knackered every single game.

Ten Hags take on it is basically blaming himself it seems

It’s not really saying what you suggest though.

He’s saying the intensity of the league is so high that players are constantly close to the limit and that sometimes they reach it.

How do you intensely train all out sprinting anyway? Even sprinters don't intensely train all out sprinting because fallout and breakdown is a given.

At maximum intensity, the body is primed to break, which is why it's supposed to be done in bursts with more attention paid to rest and recovery.

I've never seen anything like how we play before. Resting in possession and rest recovery have been things bemoaned since preseason; our downtime in matches is scant and if training is like that or worse, muscle injuries are assured.

He’s saying the intensity of the league is so high that players are constantly close to the limit and that sometimes they reach it.
Isn't he basically saying he pushes them to the limit in training because he has to? We don't know what he does in training, but it is extremely specific to us the extent of muscular injuries. Yes they always increase for all, maybe we just have a bunch of crocks... But at the same time, it's his job to adjust so they don't get injured every second if training intensity can't be met. Sometimes you just have freak injury runs, but this is consistent through the whole season, affecting almost every single player. It's directly tied to training.

Isn't he basically saying he pushes them to the limit in training because he has to? We don't know what he does in training, but it is extremely specific to us the extent of muscular injuries. Yes they always increase for all, maybe we just have a bunch of crocks... But at the same time, it's his job to adjust so they don't get injured every second if training intensity can't be met. Sometimes you just have freak injury runs, but this is consistent through the whole season, affecting almost every single player. It's directly tied to training.
But that’s always been the case?

Even our era of players used to say how much more intense training was than matches.

Whatever the reason this can’t continue. Do we even have a fit CB?

But that’s always been the case?

Even our era of players used to say how much more intense training was than matches.

Whatever the reason this can’t continue. Do we even have a fit CB?
Training is always intense. Intense doesn't mean pushing to breaking points. There are different types of training that muscles can endure while others that will break down. Our play style is very obviously horrible for player health (having so much space to cover individually, so many long sprints, etc), so would you expect training to be any better?

Training is always intense. Intense doesn't mean pushing to breaking points. There are different types of training that muscles can endure while others that will break down. Our play style is very obviously horrible for player health (having so much space to cover individually, so many long sprints, etc), so would you expect training to be any better?
Not sure.

It’s possible and I’m sure it contributes (intense physical stress) but then the counter argument is they have to deal with it to deal with the PL.

Is anyone else just completely exhausted by this season?

Not sure.

It’s possible and I’m sure it contributes (intense physical stress) but then the counter argument is they have to deal with it to deal with the PL.

Yeah, but apathy kicked in during Christmas - I've pretty much given up on this Ten Hag version of Man Utd. It's worse than Van Gaal at this point.

I find it very difficult to go along with the notion of blaming injuries on the manager. All clubs have, and certainly we do too, very sophisticated sports medicine departments and I am fairly certain the manager is not going to go against their recommendations in determining training intensity or workload.
As for our playing style, I do not have the stats so I am happy to be told differently, but I do not imagine us being among the top in terms of running and number of sprints..

We have all seen the clips from Carrington…no one is training to the limit haha.

They don’t train with intensity and they sure as hell don’t play with intensity.

Last edited:

For what exactly? CL places? We aren't getting near the PL next season even with 5 starters within our apparent budget.

I think regardless of people's thoughts of him he's pretty much fecked at this point which will be a relief to most. He should get to the FA cup final but there's no chance of top 5 I feel, not with our form, new injuries and general weird/crap way of playing.

This is pretty much his best line up for the rest of the season;

Onana
AWB Maguire Varane Dalot
Casemiro Mainoo
Bruno
Garnacho Hojlund Rashford​

The bolded players are those who seem to get muscle injuries a fair bit and who it wouldn't be a surprise to see get a minor injury at some point. I expect Evans to play quite a bit.

It's nearly all over. I only hope Chelsea can fluke a win against City in the other semi-final, We beat Coventry and the cup final might salvage a bit of pride, a bit like that LVG second year.

For what exactly? CL places? We aren't getting near the PL next season even with 5 starters within our apparent budget.
Would be a start. We're miles off. Mess of a squad, and I don't need to say any more on the manager.

So why do his players seem to reach it more than others?

Forget the training pitch which we cant see. We play massively intense but ineffective football under Ten Hag. His system creates defensive chaos that players can only mitigate by charging around like man men. The pressing from the front is high but useless. He's creating conditions for injuries for no tangible benefit.

We have all seen the clips from Carrington…no one is training to the limit haha.

The don’t train with intensity and they sure as hell don’t play with intensity.

Nobody knows but if I had to guess, this would be it.

We don't play with energy and it's not lethargy when we do too. It's just ponderous, which points to coaching/tactics more than anything.

Not sure.

As a supported? Yeah its brutal. Even last season, where we all enjoyed it (to an extent) and we were doing well, was exhausting. An insane amount of games and every game was a grind to the last minute. This season is basically a step above 21/22 for me where the league games are pretty much meaningless for months now and just hoping on a miracle in the fa cup.

Not sure.

That's an interesting question, months ago I realized that I had no clue about what we were doing on the pitch. Since that point I haven't really cared, I'm blissfully detached.

So why do his players seem to reach it more than others?

Forget the training pitch which we cant see. We play massively intense but ineffective football under Ten Hag. His system creates defensive chaos that players can only mitigate by charging around like man men. The pressing from the front is high but useless. He's creating conditions for injuries for no tangible benefit.
We’re not asthmatic enough.

Our style would appear more demanding.

That's an interesting question, months ago I realized that I had no clue about what we were doing on the pitch. Since that point I haven't really cared, I'm blissfully detached.
I understand what we’re doing, I don’t think it’s the long term United style of play but a means to an end.

But I’m just tired now.

Honestly just want to see the summer and what happens with how I’m feeling right now.

I understand what we’re doing, I don’t think it’s the long term United style of play but a means to an end.

But I’m just tired now.

Honestly just want to see the summer and what happens with how I’m feeling right now.

Well, you are lucky or smart. I don't have a clue, can't rationalize it and haven't found anyone close to do it.

The don’t train with intensity and they sure as hell don’t play with intensity.
How can you possibly say that whilst it's been said repeatedly that our output is not sustainable for a run of games let alone a season? We sprint, a lot, from top to bottom to top to bottom with no rest and no recovery periods, which is why we often look absolutely toasted by around 60min with people then calling our exhausted players lazy.

Unless you're on the magic juice, you cannot play like that for games at a time; even those accused of being on said juice don't play like that as they have clear periods of resting in possession before any kind of manic ball retrieval ensues again.

Also, because our backline sit, the distance we have to run through midfield is absurd and very unlike what anyone else is doing.

Ten Hags take on it is basically blaming himself it seems

Of course he has to take blame. I’m sick and tired of people constantly saying reoccurring muscle injuries in almost every player is “bad luck”. No, it’s a pattern. If all of our players had freak leg breaks or injuries that are unavoidable then sure it’s poor luck. Guys constantly being out with muscle issues is a workload issue