Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 405 46.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 53.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

danamann

His arrogance and stubbornness will be his downfall. He declined a personal meeting with Rangnick, thinking he knows better than anyone before him. He talked up players who have been underperforming for years, hoping they will go and die on the pitch for him after a few nice words only to realise they are still shite. He buys average overpriced players in positions we don’t really need while chasing unrealistic targets because apparently he can’t coach any players that hasn’t played for him before.

Redfrog

Wow. This is a lot more negative than anticipated.

We’re giving him more than one game right?
I would sack anyone related from the club before him. We are there because we have incompetent owners, CEO, football director, players. It will always be the same until we don’t change that.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I am expecting us to be at least in a shout for top 4. But we could be closer to relegation than the top 4 by November
We could be but not to panic. Arsenal was at the bottom of the league at the start of the season and was 11 points ahead of us by the end.

I am expecting to be around the same come the end of this season -- 5th or 6th.

Just a better vision of what ETH wants to develop by the end of the season.

sglowrider

His arrogance and stubbornness will be his downfall. He declined a personal meeting with Rangnick, thinking he knows better than anyone before him. He talked up players who have been underperforming for years, hoping they will go and die on the pitch for him after a few nice words only to realise they are still shite. He buys average overpriced players in positions we don’t really need while chasing unrealistic targets because apparently he can’t coach any players that hasn’t played for him before.
I mentioned that earlier -- two sides of the same coin.

When things aren't going your way people will accuse you of being arrogant and stubborn. But when you are successful these same people will claim you are a very confident and determined person. Thats why you succeeded.

crossy1686

career ending
True. And the club backing him with signing Dutch/Eredevisie players will be another big rebuild if ETH fails. With Ole we started with signing British players, that seems all gone now. We just have no long term plan.
That’s the annoying part. We hire a DOF, we have scouts, the scouts have been saying Pau Torres is better suited to the PL and United but we go out and sign Martinez because the manager wants him, that’s potentially £50m wasted because the manager fancies him without managing a game in the PL. We’re constantly looking at rebuild after rebuild.

Trex

Its clear they aren't playing his way or his footballing philosophy. Fast attacking possession football.

They need to be drilled in further to make it muscle memory.
No amount of coaching would make Mcfred effective for possession football, look at the technical level and intelligence of city midfielders as an example.
We either get players with the required qualities or abandon this brand of football entirely.
Eriksen and Iqbal are the current duo who have potential, DvB maybe but the rest will struggle. Its the same as trying to convert Awb into a modern fullback, the base talent isn't there.

sglowrider

That’s the annoying part. We hire a DOF, we have scouts, the scouts have been saying Pau Torres is better suited to the PL and United but we go out and sign Martinez because the manager wants him, that’s potentially £50m wasted because the manager fancies him without managing a game in the PL. We’re constantly looking at rebuild after rebuild.
But then you cant accuse Murtough of not backing the manager. Maybe he is trying to change the way things had been done in the past? Managers were constantly not getting their targets.

romufc

Whats the alternative? Garner who has been injured for most of the pre-season?
He had the same amount pre season as Eriksen and Martinez.

Secondly, Iqbal, Savage and the like played alot of minutes. They could not be worse than McFred

Redfrog

Why does he buy this players ? We have an incompetent board. He is a coach. He will fail without a proper structure. But the board and structure of this club are by far the worst at this level. It is just more of the same. We are in deep troubles with this people running the club. Why can’t you see that changing manager won’t help ? How many more do we need ? Let’s just sack him and bring Poch. I bet you it won’t change a thing.
Klopp didn’t want Salah but some german dude, the director of football didn’t listen to him. Don’t you see we don’t have competent people at this club. I am sick making one man responsible for this mess while he is here since 5 minutes and it is lasting the last 10 years.

crossy1686

career ending
But then you cant accuse Murtough of not backing the manager. Maybe he is trying to change the way things had been done in the past? Managers were constantly not getting their targets.
They were though, Woodward went on the record and said one of the biggest issues they faced was backing the managers too much so in the last couple of seasons they started signing players the committee decided were a good fit, which means we signed no one except Ronaldo etc

sglowrider

No amount of coaching would make Mcfred effective for possession football, look at the technical level and intelligence of city midfielders as an example.
We either get players with the required qualities or abandon this brand of football entirely.
Eriksen and Iqbal are the current duo who have potential, DvB maybe but the rest will struggle. Its the same as trying to convert Awb into a modern fullback, the base talent isn't there.
Fred isn't playing his natural position.

McT, I agree but he is good for games like against Liverpool and City where you need some brute force to break up their approach. But useless for games where we try and stamp out possession-based games.

sglowrider

Why does he buy this players ? We have an incompetent board. He is a coach. He will fail without a proper structure. But the board and structure of this club are by far the worst at this level. It is just more of the same. We are in deep troubles with this people running the club. Why can’t you see that changing manager won’t help ? How many more do we need ? Let’s just sack him and bring Poch. I bet you it won’t change a thing.
Klopp didn’t want Salah but some german dude, the director of football didn’t listen to him. Don’t you see we don’t have competent people at this club. I am sick making one man responsible for this mess while he is here since 5 minutes and it is lasting the last 10 years.
Huh? You just woke up from a coma otherwise I am not sure whats causing your hysteria.

We have a DOF now. The board of management doesn't make any footballing decisions other than budgetary.

Its been delegated to our DOF, Murtough. And FYI, new CEO too.

Newtonius

Was an awful lineup but at least he now knows what we all know about these players.

Ill be more worried if he starts Shaw, McFred, Bruno etc at Brentford, would basically mean nothing has changed.

Huh? You just woke up from a coma otherwise I am not sure whats causing your hysteria.

We have a DOF now. The board of management doesn't make any footballing decisions other than budgetary.

Its been delegated to our DOF, Murtough. And FYI, new CEO too.
Yeah right hes not a director of football at all, when you think Dof you think Rangnick or Paratici, yet he has given all control over to ETH which is why we have no targets, hes not a scout.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
A triple substitution as the game went into injury time was just a tad late. Mourinho, for all his faults, would have done that midway through the first half and I would have applauded him.

nickm

Ridiculous.

sglowrider

He had the same amount pre season as Eriksen and Martinez.

Secondly, Iqbal, Savage and the like played alot of minutes. They could not be worse than McFred
Clearly, ETH doesn't trust the kids then. He sees them on the training ground every day.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm not that worried, he's getting some answers really quickly. Let's get over with some things that have never worked for us and just try new solutions. Since I don't expect us to get top 4 this season anyway, I am fine with experimenting.

Wing Attack Plan R

We’re still a CB short, still time to get Torres.

Trex

Fred isn't playing his natural position.

McT, I agree but he is good for games like against Liverpool and City where you need some brute force to break up their approach. But useless for games where we try and stamp out possession-based games.
ETH really underestimated the EPL, I really hope he realizes his mistake and push really had to address it now, truth is if we can't get De Jong or someone else who can do at job in that connector role then we should just pack our bags and go home.
Even Bruno would struggle real bad, the only thing he does when under pressure is try to win a foul or he is totally exposed.
Eriksen, Iqbal (although we have not seen it competitive football)are the best under pressure from the lot we've got, De Beek can be decent, Maybe Fred if he's moved further up,Bruno should probably play from the wing. About Mctominay at this point he falls into the same category as Awb no point excusing his mediocrity. No way should we have even started this season without the deep lying midfielder, its criminal.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do you think after managing in the PL for a year that he will target PL players like he targets the eredivise players?

mctrials23

My god the extrapolations from you lot are mind blowing. If the manager has an extra hard time of this it will be because of the idiot fans. Christ, most of you happily backed Ole for 3 years when it was clear at the end of his first season he was clueless.

Have some semblance of patience with a guy that has a massive job on his hands and needs every shred of support from the fans en-route.

No, our squad isn't good enough for where we want to be. No our summer hasn't been great so far but its not over. Yes Brighton are a very well coached side and were a very hard first game for EtH.

Hes trying to completely change the way we play and coach a lot of players to do something that is completely alien to them. Hes also trying to get them fit enough to do it. You could see from pre-season that the players can do it. The issues are doing it under the pressure and pace of the PL. This is how every skill is learned. The more competent you become, the less mental focus it requires for the simpler parts and the more you are free to express yourself. Yesterday we reverted to what we have done for the past 3 years for the most part because thats what happens when you are put under pressure. EtH will know this.

I have no idea what some of you expected but its going to be a rough season of highs and lows. Clearly some of you don't remember Liverpool when Klopp took over. They were a mess at times and great at times. You will be able to have some idea about how EtH is doing by Christmas at the earliest. If the team is still completely clueless and devoid of shape and direction then yeah, go nuts, pour out your negativity but until hes had a few games, lets not slit our wrists yet eh.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
You people are insane. The only reason we are targeting players he knows is because:

a - our scouting department just undertook a massive reset
b - ETH wants to inject his system quickly, hence targeting players he knows would fit said scheme

This doesn't necessarily reflect every transfer window for the next 5 years.

Erics_Collar

Do you think after managing in the PL for a year that he will target PL players like he targets the eredivise players?
He'll be managing FC Porto in 2 years, spearheaded by a midfield partnership of Fred and Alex Iwobi, with Danny Welbeck knocking in goals for fun.

crossy1686

career ending
You people are insane. The only reason we are targeting players he knows is because:

a - our scouting department just undertook a massive reset
b - ETH wants to inject his system quickly, hence targeting players he knows would fit said scheme

This doesn't necessarily reflect every transfer window for the next 5 years.
Our scouting department have recommended different players than the ones we’ve signed, despite a couple of senior scouts leaving

RopersReturn

Manchester United is a black hole that eats Manager's reputations, the signs were there even back when SAF was leading our club, he saw the future and decided to leave on a high.

We are not ready for the season, and that's on the people running the club. Mourinho gave them a list of players and was shunned, ETH gave them a list in May and he's been given a lollypop.
Here's a big lollypop for all the United fans including me from Glazers, with a ribbon of 11 Million pounds dividend wrapped around it.

sglowrider

ETH really underestimated the EPL, I really hope he realizes his mistake and push really had to address it now, truth is if we can't get De Jong or someone else who can do at job in that connector role then we should just pack our bags and go home.
Even Bruno would struggle real bad, the only thing he does when under pressure is try to win a foul or he is totally exposed.
Eriksen, Iqbal (although we have not seen it competitive football)are the best under pressure from the lot we've got, De Beek can be decent, Maybe Fred if he's moved further up,Bruno should probably play from the wing. About Mctominay at this point he falls into the same category as Awb no point excusing his mediocrity. No way should we have even started this season without the deep lying midfielder, its criminal.
Not just ETH -- Pep, Klopp etc did too. There is a learning curve so I don't think ETH is immune to it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What I don't really get is how the club prepared for this appointment, we were supposed to have a very lengthy recruitment process in place which would have addressed the structure of the club and its shortcomings.

We then brought a manager who clearly has no insight of the transfer market and whose knowledge about players is mostly limited to the players he had managed. It's not necessarily his fault, from what I understand he was not really in charge of transfers at Ajax and has probably never had any significant focus on that area, he's coach first and foremost. Why not get him a DoF or at least someone competent at scouting who could take care of transfers business?

It's so similar to the Summer of 2013 so far where Moyes insisted on getting the players that he knows and refused Thiago because 'he did not see him play', so we got Fellaini instead (after failing to get a struggling Barcelona midfielder too). EtH may be a good coach but he won't do shit with this group, and getting random former Ajax/Eredivisie players will get us absolutely nowhere.

sglowrider

Yes I know but the key thing is he learns.
Thats why its pointless to get hysterical from this one match.

So many doomers are out here in force. Its not healthy mentally to rely on United for their personal well-being.

Trex

Thats why its pointless to get hysterical from this one match.

So many doomers are out here in force. Its not healthy mentally to rely on United for their personal well-being.
:lol: :lol:
Not a doomer but man it would be a dream to have competent people running the club for a change.