Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 575 54.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 482 45.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Real Name

We have to be realistic. We are most likely not winning EPL as long as Klopp and Pep are around. Plus with Newcastle getting unlimitted money, we are lucky if in 2 years we can comfortably always make top 4, since the 4th position may become what Chelsea, Arsenal and ourselves will start fighting for, not to mention Spurs.

ETH will hopefully save us from being the most inconsistent and embarrassing big club, but he is not a magician and I doubt he is Klopp or Pep level either (plus their clubs will continue to be run much better)
Nothing is forever, especially in football.

Eddy_JukeZ

We have to be realistic. We are most likely not winning EPL as long as Klopp and Pep are around. Plus with Newcastle getting unlimitted money, we are lucky if in 2 years we can comfortably always make top 4, since the 4th position may become what Chelsea, Arsenal and ourselves will start fighting for, not to mention Spurs.

ETH will hopefully save us from being the most inconsistent and embarrassing big club, but he is not a magician and I doubt he is Klopp or Pep level either (plus their clubs will continue to be run much better)
Hate this attitude.

Plenty thought Jose's Chelsea were unstoppable too and no one thought we'd challenge after we sold Ruud.

We can win the Prem with Klopp and Pep around.

Teams won it when we had Fergie too.

Real Name

Hate this attitude.

Plenty thought Jose's Chelsea were unstoppable too and no one thought we'd challenge after we sold Ruud.

Yeah, I mean what's the purpose then, we might as well pack it in.

gajender

Hate this attitude.

We just need to concentrate on Ourselves and build a team capable of hitting high 80s regularly first then we would be in conversation for title more often than not .

Just to add though I don't personally like the football played by teams under Conte and Allegri I have no doubt given the right personnel they are certainly capable of competing in the league even against Pep and Klopp and actually winning it . Hopefully we get our recruitment right and give Ten Hag all the tools to compete because despite United being disappointing in last decade I am still optimistic that given United's resources along with Good manager we are always within 3 summer windows from competing and if the manager can't do that then he isn't the right man for the job.

wise_old_man

Hate this attitude.

We should look at things realistically instead of relying on blind faith.

Pep is on the way to be the Messi of managers (Greatest of all time) and Klopp is on the way to be the next Fergie (A dynasty which lasts for 30-ish years).

gorky_utd

Pep is on the way to be the Messi of managers (Greatest of all time) and Klopp is on the way to be the next Fergie (A dynasty which lasts for 30-ish years).
When you can afford to buy a player, don't like him and then get a replacement next season without any problem, it becomes a bit too easy. Athletico Madrid showed that it is not impossible to play better than them. And for Klopp, well not even the best team on the league so far.

devips

Such defeatism! And you call yourself a United fan? :cool:

big_jeffstar

Hate this attitude.

It's possible, but it was a different time, even when United were in their pomp.. they still had the odd dodgy result here and there.. here's the thing that i find really suspicious about this whole title charge thing from City and Liverpool... they win every game, regardless of the competition, or the team that they're playing, and they always look like they're fresh as daisies.. it's all a little too suspicious for me. And that's the thing.. you're not just playing against fantastic teams, you're probably playing against fantastic teams, that are also most likely cycling on some magical medicine

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He needs to steady the ship first, so he will rely on new and senior players. Once that works, he can start integrating youth players unless there is one you just have to play.

GreatDane

While it's pretty clear that it'll take a miracle to win the league or even make a decent challenge for it next season, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to in a year or two.

Some people apparently think Pep and Klopp are demi-gods but every team needs rebuilding every so often, injuries happen, players lose their hunger ect.
Ajax are expected to win every year but hadn't won the league in 5 years before Ten Hag came. Juventus are looking to be beaten by a Milano team for the second year in a row.

Of course to have a team good enough to win or challenge we need to be a lot better to scout and sign players and, also important, get rid of costly deadwood.

Reactions: Cheimoon

DevilRed

He needs to steady the ship first, so he will rely on new and senior players. Once that works, he can start integrating youth players unless there is one you just have to play.
I hope he gets some hungry young lads in the squad.

Light a fire under these underperforming "senior" players. Can't stand the lot of them. Glad some of them are finally going to feck off out the club this summer. Every contract renewal should be pulled off the table until Ten Hag gets here.

Hammondo

AWB is barely a footballer, let alone a good one.

Shaw is good once he decides to get in shape and works up his form, so about 20% of the time if we're lucky.

Rashford is basically a great example of how people mistake pace for good footballing ability and decision-making, especially since he was young.

Maguire... should really be a rugby player, he's awful technically.

Martial used to be good and a favourite of mine but I'm honestly not even sure about him any more.
This is exactly how I feel about Rashford. Even at his best if you remove his pace there is not much left.

Greck

Our next move should be someone who can drill the youth setup to prepare players ETH can actually use. Similar to what he did with Pep. Don't know about Rooney but we don't need another ex-player with no tactical credentials telling players to shoot from Z.

jackal&hyde

With City it will be difficult for the long term but with Pool they are a few mediocre buys away from losing their unbeatable aura. We've seen last season what happens with a few key injuries, the level drops enormously.

mctrials23

Anyone who is saying that beating Liverpool and City is impossible is mad. Both teams have players that are absolutely vital to their success who won't be there forever. I'm sure they will adapt but Liverpool rely massively on Salah, Robertson and TAA. If those 3 got injured or lost form or moved on Liverpool would suffer massively. If City lost KdB they would suffer hugely.

The quality of the PL means that any weakness in your team or things like injury issues can take you from the top to being second or worse.

I know we have had an awful season but if you consider what we have had to deal with compared to our rivals its not quite as dire as it looks perhaps.

Shaw has been out for a long time
Lost our best flair player in Greenwood
Rashford has fallen off a cliff form wise
We've not had our first choice midfield paid for months this season
Cavani has been MIA for most of the season
Varane has been injured a lot
Bruno has been out of form
Ronaldo hasn't been in top form for a sizeable spell

When Liverpool had massive injury issues they were unsurprisingly a bit shit for the season. Basically we will have to see how it goes. It will be hard to compete with City and Pool but I don't think its anything like as bad as some think.

wise_old_man

Anyone who is saying that beating Liverpool and City is impossible is mad. Both teams have players that are absolutely vital to their success who won't be there forever. I'm sure they will adapt but Liverpool rely massively on Salah, Robertson and TAA. If those 3 got injured or lost form or moved on Liverpool would suffer massively. If City lost KdB they would suffer hugely.

The quality of the PL means that any weakness in your team or things like injury issues can take you from the top to being second or worse.

I know we have had an awful season but if you consider what we have had to deal with compared to our rivals its not quite as dire as it looks perhaps.

Shaw has been out for a long time
Lost our best flair player in Greenwood
Rashford has fallen off a cliff form wise
We've not had our first choice midfield paid for months this season
Cavani has been MIA for most of the season
Varane has been injured a lot
Bruno has been out of form
Ronaldo hasn't been in top form for a sizeable spell

When Liverpool had massive injury issues they were unsurprisingly a bit shit for the season. Basically we will have to see how it goes. It will be hard to compete with City and Pool but I don't think its anything like as bad as some think.
You said City and Liverpool would suffer if some of their star players move on, while ignoring the fact that they are master at identifying targets and replacing players on time. In fact, I'd even bet that they'd get their perfect replacement BEFORE our next "good buy".

We haven't even been able to bring Paul Mitchell in yet and Fletcher is expected to be given a more enhanced role in identifying targets (Source Athletic). You expect Fletcher to go head-to-head with City and Liverpool's insanely well-run setup in identifying targets?

People used to say Liverpool would crumble without their front 3 Salah-Mane-Firmino. They simply pulled Jota out of the hat. People used to say their midfield was mediocre and their fullbacks were carrying them. They pulled Fabinho out of the hat. The list goes on and on. Even if we start our "rebuild" this summer, I still expect Liverpool and City to complete their next "rebuild" before us.

WPMUFC

we need some good crazy at the club. Klopp telling that CL interpreter his voice was very arousing is the kind of banter we need. I think Klopp is hilarious most of the time, very likeable.

phelans shorts

You said City and Liverpool would suffer if some of their star players move on, while ignoring the fact that they are master at identifying targets and replacing players on time. In fact, I'd even bet that they'd get their perfect replacement BEFORE our next "good buy".

We haven't been able to bring Paul Mitchell in yet and Fletcher is expected to be given a more enhanced role in identifying targets (Source Athletic). You expect Fletcher to go head-to-head with City and Liverpool's insanely well-run setup in identifying targets?
Liverpool were laughed at for putting Michael Edwards in charge of their recruitment setup at the time. Mitchell has a spotty at best track record, what makes you think Fletcher can’t do a better job? Loads of people over the years have raved about Fletcher’s mind for the game.

wise_old_man

Liverpool were laughed at for putting Michael Edwards in charge of their recruitment setup at the time. Mitchell has a spotty at best track record, what makes you think Fletcher can’t do a better job? Loads of people over the years have raved about Fletcher’s mind for the game.
And what has Fletcher brought to our setup since his appointment? His literal latest update was the shamble in which Rangnick was unpleasant with Fletcher shouting from the touchline when the supposedly team manager is right there.

I'm not sure about what this "mind for the game" from Fletcher is? If it's about his tactical sense from playing as a midfielder, what does that have to do with identifying targets for a football club when it requires network rather than some playing experience?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
How many signings do we think ten Hag will be allowed to make in his first season? I just read up that pep signed 12 players in his first season with city and klopp signed 10 with Liverpool. That’s mad. Didn’t think they signed that many. City have spent like 50+mil on each defender they have though within a few seasons, didn’t think Liverpool signed that many to be honest because it took klopp like 3 years to get a proper team and start dominating.

phelans shorts

And what has Fletcher brought to our setup since his appointment? His literal latest update was the shamble in which Rangnick was unpleasant with Fletcher shouting from the touchline when the supposedly team manager is right there.

I'm not sure about what this "mind for the game" from Fletcher is? If it's about his tactical sense from playing as a midfielder, what does that have to do with identifying targets for a football club when it requires network rather than some playing experience?
I do t know what Fletcher has brought, I’m not his line manager, there’s as much reason to believe he’s a major mind behind our ripping apart old systems and improving as there is to say he’s useless, but hey, Fletcher has been the bad guy since he was a literal schoolchild to many so why would we be fair?

Last edited:

Volksie316

Really worried about reports saying he wants Pereira back and possibly wants Lingard to stay

If true, then that’s not a good start to his reign, at all.

Players like that, should have been moved on ages ago, and this will be yet another example of us giving players chances, who are clearly not good enough.

I mean let’s be honest, neither of those 2 players, would even make the bench at the likes of City, Liverpool, Chelsea, and even Spurs and Arsenal.