Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Greck

We control games now. What we need is bodies in the box and that formation can help get us that
Having an extra midfielder is part of that. Personally I'd experiment the partnership it but if it doesn't work I wouldn't force it beyond a couple minutes because it doesn't actually sound that great outside situational need. We actually already explored the Rashford-Ronaldo partnership extensively last season, first with the 4222 and at several points after. The drawback we experienced a lot was that subbing off a midfielder or wideplayer for a central striker killed our shape and was counterproductive to chasing the game. Some of our personnel don't fit the formations or possess the versatility to be simply shunted wider or deeper. Most importantly it always ended up with Rashford being the deeper striker. It just magnified all his weaknesses and took away what he was good at. The deeper one has more burden as a decisionmaker, playmaker, ball carrier or hold up player.

Last edited:

Baxquux

We need to get into better positions before crosses before hitting them. That's the issue for me. Often we'll either swing one in to a static packed box (low probability of success there) or hit them from the deep by line. ETH wants us to be crossing from more dangerous positions which is why the players need to find those extra runners from midfield into the box who then can cross it from a closer distance (City has mastered this). The other alternative is getting better hitting early crosses when a team's backline is closer to the top of the box and Ronaldo/Rashford/whoever else has space to run onto it.
There's a lot of truth to this, but I'd say that at the moment, if anything, we're overlabouring setting up and delivering the final ball ( stemming from ETH's instructions as well as the relative lack of striker movement). We need a striker with instinctive and consistent 6-12 yard box movement, who's also strong enough to hold up when necessary and skillful enough to link play. At the moment we're finding a lot of positions where a prime striker would benefit from a final ball being whipped in quickly but, through instructions and Ronaldo's age-related decreased mobility/Rashford's erratic instinct and tendency to drift/ Martial's injuries and tendency to drift between playing as a 9 and 11, we're not exploiting the relatively better constructed moves around the edges of the box. It was quite frustrating at times during the last game, despite our overall dominance and creation of a decent number of opportunities, and there were elements of that against Newcastle too.

Reactions: Cheimoon

RedStarUnited

We need to get into better positions before crosses before hitting them. That's the issue for me. Often we'll either swing one in to a static packed box (low probability of success there) or hit them from the deep by line. ETH wants us to be crossing from more dangerous positions which is why the players need to find those extra runners from midfield into the box who then can cross it from a closer distance (City has mastered this). The other alternative is getting better hitting early crosses when a team's backline is closer to the top of the box and Ronaldo/Rashford/whoever else has space to run onto it.
If this is where I think it is then I am adamant that this is the best place to cross from.

Elcabron

The rate of progress is astonishing. We are one or two players and a full season of being used to his methods etc away from being genuine challengers.

Uess it all falls apart and this is another false dawn but it really doesn't look that way.

the_cliff

He said 'Finally'. :lol:

I always found it so frustrating when he and Klopp used to back Ole and say he's a brilliant manager and that we were a threat to the title. They definitely used to say that with a straight face and were on the floor laughing behind the scenes.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I love how no nonsense he is, we might have struck gold with this one.
Hard to forget the absolute brass balls he demonstrated after those first two losses, getting the team onside doing the punishment run himself, and those stats of how he's turned us from one of the worst pressing teams to one of the best in such a short time. This guy is going to be the one for us.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hard to forget the absolute brass balls he demonstrated after those first two losses, getting the team onside doing the punishment run himself, and those stats of how he's turned us from one of the worst pressing teams to one of the best in such a short time. This guy is going to be the one for us.
Signs of a truly great manager , we just have to wait and see whether he'll reaches the promised land with us or not, but I think he's the one as you said it yourself, he just seems to have "it".

We got really lucky none of the likes bayern and barca tried to snatch him up, considering their recent managerial appointments and how seemd to be much more of a stylistic fit for them.

pacifictheme

When you say the punishment run what do you mean? He did some physical work with the squad?

OleGunnar20

When you say the punishment run what do you mean? He did some physical work with the squad?
He made them run the ~13.something Kilometres more that Brentford ran than us during the game, as punishment for being out worked - And joined them on the run.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pretty funny seeing Pep say "finally" as if he was just sitting there watching us play shit football for years and just laughing. We were bound to get it right eventually

VivaRonaldo85

The difference beteeen a top class coach and the dross we’ve had in recent years starting to sing true. Been a long wait

Valencia Shin Crosses

We control games now. What we need is bodies in the box and that formation can help get us that
We control games because we have become excellent at restricting space through our fullbacks inverting as well as having an extra midfielder. There's a reason no big team plays 442 anymore as their main formation, you run into serious issues if a team can play through you because you have little cover or control if you press high up the pitch.

But I agree that it will help if Rashford takes to the role (also think it's vital that in this case Bruno plays at that RM spot, NOT through the middle).

Yakuza_devils

10 years of unprecedented mismanagement of one of the biggest club in the world. Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole. WTF!

Ed has gone and it seems like Arnold and Murtough starting to find their feet. They may also struck gold with ETH. ETH totally transformed the club with his signings and style of play.

Hopefully, 1 or 2 more season we will be back to where we used to be under SAF. Challenge for PL and CL every year while playing exciting attacking football.

The fecking Glazers need to keep supporting ETH with funds for players he needs. We shall keep protesting if they failed to do so.

sphagnum

Always a good sign when we eagerly look forward to the next game. That hasn’t happened in a while. Long may it continue!
Absolutely! To have the fans onside again, to have hope. That’s all we ever asked for, really. Watching football is becoming fun again.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
10 years of unprecedented mismanagement of one of the biggest club in the world. Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole. WTF!

Ed has gone and it seems like Arnold and Murtough starting to find their feet. They may also struck gold with ETH. ETH totally transformed the club with his signings and style of play.

Hopefully, 1 or 2 more season we will be back to where we used to be under SAF. Challenge for PL and CL every year while playing exciting attacking football.

The fecking Glazers need to keep supporting ETH with funds for players he needs. We shall keep protesting if they failed to do so.
They wont give a penny this January window.
We will see more fringe/youth players introduced.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think one of the reasons why he has been successful so far is that he has this aura about him. You dont simply feck with this guy, you can tell he can be frightening if you push him into his limit. It took 2 big name managers to drop Rooney while he instantly dropped Ronaldo & Maguire and he's (still) winning the battle. Ronaldo tried to undermine him and now Ronaldo is his lil bitch.

Imagine if he jumps out of nowhere in front of you and screams "give us yer laptop!! i want your phone and all!". I'd give him everything I have and run home crying.

sphagnum

I think one of the reasons why he has been successful so far is that he has this aura about him. You dont simply feck with this guy, you can tell he can be frightening if you push him into his limit. It took 2 big name managers to drop Rooney while he instantly dropped Ronaldo & Maguire and he's (still) winning the battle. Ronaldo tried to undermine him and now Ronaldo is his lil bitch.

Imagine if he jumps out of nowhere in front of you and screams "give us yer laptop!! i want your phone and all!". I'd give him everything I have and run home crying.
Yep, and who does that remind you of? I wouldn’t suggest ETH as anywhere near the level of our greats yet, of course. I’m just comparing personalities. And in that capacity, he’s off to a pretty good start.

I hope the club will continue to support him, as I’d be more than happy to give him a mandate for the long term. I think he’s exactly what we’ve been waiting for.

Last edited:

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
What i like most about him is his facial reaction to things, barely smiles or laughs. We could be winning 3-0 like yesterday and he'll still be thinking "Good isn't Good Enough".

MDFC Manager

What i like most about him is his facial reaction to things, barely smiles or laughs. We could be winning 3-0 like yesterday and he'll still be thinking "Good isn't Good Enough".
Also like that he recently said he wants rapid improvements and he's impatient about it. That's a modern manager thinking, unlike Moyesy and LvG who thought they had more time to get things going.

wolvored

One of his best traits is hes never satisfied and thats whats driving the team on. If you stand still you are out of the next match(es). His precision to detail. Nothing gets past him. If we won the treble he would probably start the answer to a question, 'yes but...'

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
100% he just has that look of authority and steel about him. He doesn't get too high when we win, doesn't get too low when we lose.

When he shouts he doesn't do it angrily, he just barks out commands that are stern but not aggressive.

Add in his management of Ronaldo too, it's been handled so well. He's treated him fairly but also not given him special treatment. He's not isolated him like other managers might have done, just given out the punishment then back to it. Really good manager. I love the guy.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

Wrong.

We will keep protesting regardless.

RedIan

The difference from ole to ETH is massive. ETH takes training sessions, advises players on mistakes and coaches them on the correct way and what he demands.
Ole left the training to his team and just stood back watching and not getting involved.

we finally a have a top coach and a top manager and i feel it wont be many seasons before we are back winning silverwear.

pascell

It was blindingly obvious to anyone who had watched any Ajax games prior to his appointment that ten Hag was the only appointment we could make.

Arnold and Murtough are very much still under scrutiny for me, wasted so much of the summer not knowing how much budget they had to spend and then overpaid for every player we signed. That is not how a well oiled and properly ran club acts in a transfer market, so the Dury is still out for me, especially with Murtough as he never had the right experience to begin with.

phelans shorts

The difference from ole to ETH is massive. ETH takes training sessions, advises players on mistakes and coaches them on the correct way and what he demands.
Ole left the training to his team and just stood back watching and not getting involved.

we finally a have a top coach and a top manager and i feel it wont be many seasons before we are back winning silverwear.
I’m sorry but this is total nonsense. Sir Alex Ferguson rarely handled training as time went on, was he not a top manager? The difference is the quality of coaching they had beneath them/the control over the changing room and key players.

Loads of managers do things in different ways, there’s no right way and there’s no wrong way only the application. As it happens, Ten Hag probably is the right personality for this squad, but that doesn’t mean that for other squads Ole’s approach wouldn’t have been better (again, if with better/more experienced lieutenants).

Tony247

A tactician, quick learner, adaptive, disciplinarian. Sets up wonderful football, improves players. And a baldie.

What not to love?

Yakuza_devils

Also like that he recently said he wants rapid improvements and he's impatient about it. That's a modern manager thinking, unlike Moyesy and LvG who thought they had more time to get things going.
Ole asked for 3 fecking years to build his team and style of play. Ed somehow bought into his idea.