Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 598 55.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 487 44.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Id agree with this, the idea that Ten Hag should have all the say is idiotic to me. Of course he needs to agree a signing, but too much power in that regard probably isn’t for the best.
If he really really wants a player we should get him that player, otgerwis let a well developed scouting system handle most signings.

croadyman

What does the Antony signing tell us about Ten Hag ?

I've loved the job Ten Hag has done so far but my feeling is we really need a strong recruitment team around him.
Yeah shouldn't try and do everything

angak

Id agree with this, the idea that Ten Hag should have all the say is idiotic to me. Of course he needs to agree a signing, but too much power in that regard probably isn’t for the best.
Even allowing Ten Hag to sign Gakpo would've been a massive red flag for me.

How has our recruitment strategy been reduced to 'Players Ten Hag has coached or coached against' ?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I've loved the job Ten Hag has done so far but my feeling is we really need a strong recruitment team around him.
That he really wanted a left footed right winger, and that they are incredibly rare and hard to find and so their price explodes because of that profile. That Chelsea are spending 35m on one who has done nothing but be injured in his young career so far and hasn't set the dutch league alight, but he's a left footed right winger so there you go, same price as Gakpo.

Nothing about our targets has been bad in terms of profile. How they adapt is always different though. Antony, profile wise, is exactly what we have needed for a while on the RW to provide balance. But he has to bring the quality and confidence himself.

bosnian_red

He should initiate it in terms of the type of player/profile that he wants to go for. The club should provide a list of players of which they can sort through priority list together. What we need to be better at is when to say no and move on to a lower cost alternative, when is it an unmissable player. Antony is perfect in terms of profile, but was never worth 100m and is having troubles adapting to the league. Between the club and him they should decide what is a bigger priority to spend the money on and how to spend it.

Other big talents (Amad for exmaple) yeah the club should go for separately from first team requirements, but that's always different and a never ending recruitment. First team direct signings should be led by Ten Hag, at least in terms of saying what sort of player he is looking for. If the question was left footed right wingers, your options were essentially (between the summer and now)
  • An always injured Pedro Neto for 50m
  • Raphinha (who went to Barca and was a bit older at 25) for 70m
  • Antony who worked with Ten Hag for 85m
  • Madueke who is always injured and hasn't done anything in PSV for 35m
Who else actually is there? For left footed right wingers. There's just a huge lack of them right now.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Antony has underwhelmed but its not like there were a pool of RWs better than him available. Infact he was probably the best bet given he was familiar with Ten Hag and actually did well in the Dutch league and cl. I agree with you though, Eth shouldn't have all the recruitment power

CM

Wouldn't disagree but Ten Hag said in an interview that there were three right wingers on the list in the summer at United before he arrived and Antony was one of them.

angak

He should initiate it in terms of the type of player/profile that he wants to go for. The club should provide a list of players of which they can sort through priority list together. What we need to be better at is when to say no and move on to a lower cost alternative, when is it an unmissable player. Antony is perfect in terms of profile, but was never worth 100m and is having troubles adapting to the league. Between the club and him they should decide what is a bigger priority to spend the money on and how to spend it.

Other big talents (Amad for exmaple) yeah the club should go for separately from first team requirements, but that's always different and a never ending recruitment. First team direct signings should be led by Ten Hag, at least in terms of saying what sort of player he is looking for. If the question was left footed right wingers, your options were essentially (between the summer and now)
  • An always injured Pedro Neto for 50m
  • Raphinha (who went to Barca and was a bit older at 25) for 70m
  • Antony who worked with Ten Hag for 85m
  • Madueke who is always injured and hasn't done anything in PSV for 35m
Who else actually is there? For left footed right wingers. There's just a huge lack of them right now.
100% agree on manager selects the profile of player & recruitment team identifies those players that fit into that system.

Regarding left sided forwards you've named players that we have heard bandied around for the last 6 months. A strong recruitment team should be able to identify players that very few of us have heard of. Finding the next Enzo, Diaz or Alverez etc...

bosnian_red

100% agree on manager selects the profile of player & recruitment team identifies those players that fit into that system.

Regarding left sided forwards you've named players that we have heard bandied around for the last 6 months. A strong recruitment team should be able to identify players that very few of us have heard of. Finding the next Enzo, Diaz or Alverez etc...
Guys like those are generally signings that settled clubs make when they can comfortably take a bit of a risk on a high potential player and ease them in normally, because they don't have massive pressing needs in their team that needs a panic signing to fill.

But even with that... just look through who other big sides have spent big on who fit the profile of left footed right sided players. Hell, Real Madrid is spending 60m on Endrick to sign him in 2 years. Arsenal spent big on Fabio Vieira and the guy has barely played (and he's backup for Odegaard anyway basically). They're much harder to find, which makes it all the bit more annoying that our future world class youth star turned out to be scum.

Woziak

Antony has underwhelmed but its not like there were a pool of RWs better than him available. Infact he was probably the best bet given he was familiar with Ten Hag and actually did well in the Dutch league and cl. I agree with you though, Eth shouldn't have all the recruitment power
Totally agree with points about Antony and ETH however the biggest problem is we simply don’t have another left footer who plays right wing and our coach is obsessed with inverted strikers and Left footed CB playing Left CB. Amad is back next year and will be perfect to put Antony under huge pressure, right now with so many games we should be giving F Pellistri a chance even though he’s right footed, personally against Reading I’d like to see Rashford have a rest and hopefully Jadon Sancho back soon so I’d play Sancho, Martial, Pellistri With Garnaucho and Rash-ford on the bench.

Von Mistelroum

The problem with saying that we shouldn't let Ten Hag choose the players, is who else would choose? Our amazing scouting team?

croadyman

The problem with saying that we shouldn't let Ten Hag choose the players, is who else would choose? Our amazing scouting team?
This should have been addressed years ago,he needs to drill into their heads how important it is to get that second goal more particularly away from home

Greck

Yes, Sadly. It's not on the manager. In fact is a testament to how much he is able to improve anyone. It's just that so much hype was made in the summer about a new recruitment structure replacing the old model. All those scouts getting fired had apparently streamlined our recruitment. Not willing to check how far back that goalpost has been shifted again but as of now there's not much different to help managers with recruitment. This management would have gotten Klopp Brandt.

They simply have no expertise or confidence to supplement recruitment. Regardless how our managers might feel they shouldn't have to bear the burden of recruitment alone. With money emerging as an issue the need for well scouted bargains have never been bigger.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Will he want people to help because so far haven't seen much evidence outside his own decisions
The club dont need to wait for him to ask, we just provide him with it. For every player he wants, the club should provide well researched and well planned alternatives to prevent us from getting stuck like waiting for Frenkie.

croadyman

The club dont need to wait for him to ask, we just provide him with it. For every player he wants, the club should provide well researched and well planned alternatives to prevent us from getting stuck like waiting for Frenkie.
Well the problem is there is seemingly still issues on that side of things

Mr.Hik

He is doing great stuff with this squad. People who are saying he made mistake with Case are wrong. We would lose game without him. We were never in title race, we are 2-3 players short for that talk.

Yakuza_devils

We should absolutely trust ETH to handle everything related to football in the club. Don't forget that only Ed left, his mates Arnold and Murtough are still here. They were part of the "board" that brought us unprecedented a decade of failure to the club. 100% we should trust ETH rather than the so called "board".

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
Wanted Ten Hag to come here but a couple of bad results made me doubt him. Feels like we are on the up again despite our horrific start. Fully behind Ten Hag now and truly believe we will win a title with him at the helm. Think we are gonna do Arsenal tonight.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Posting here before the meltdown and ridiculous overreactions if we (probably) lose.
He is doing great.

Stadjer

Big call to start Mctom. Hope it pays off.
Why is it such a big call? McT played before Casemiro got in the team. Casemiro doesnt play today so McT has to play.

The difference in quality between Casemiro and McT is night and day but when looking at the squad for defensive midfielders, McT is the most like for like replacement. Fred and Eriksen have totally different roles and qualities in midfield. McT is used to playing the role however he does play it without much quality.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Weird one. Not sure about playing McT in the Casemiro role if that’s what it is.
Same. I’d of thought Fred would be a more like to like replacement. He presses better than mctominay.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Weird one. Not sure about playing McT in the Casemiro role if that’s what it is.
What other choice do we have? no chance is he playing 2 weak midgets together in midfield

Elcabron

Wanted Ten Hag to come here but a couple of bad results made me doubt him. Feels like we are on the up again despite our horrific start. Fully behind Ten Hag now and truly believe we will win a title with him at the helm. Think we are gonna do Arsenal tonight.
Which ones?

Zen86

What other choice do we have? no chance is he playing 2 weak midgets together in midfield
Dunno. Go bit more attacking and stick Fred in there but in a more advanced position? I just don’t think McT is very good in the CDM role.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dunno. Go bit more attacking and stick Fred in there but in a more advanced position? I just don’t think McT is very good in the CDM role.
We’re playing the league leaders, away from home. No matter how we set up our central midfielders will spend a lot of time near our box. And Fred is an absolute liability there. McTominay is merely anonymous. The best of two terrible options.

Zen86

We’re playing the league leaders, away from home. No matter how we set up our central midfielders will spend a lot of time near our box. And Fred is an absolute liability there. McTominay is merely anonymous. The best of two terrible options.
I’d probably rather we tried something different. Looks like we’re going with the usual game plan but that plan works because Casemiro bosses the midfield. Either way, we’ll see what happens.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’d probably rather we tried something different. Looks like we’re going with the usual game plan but that plan works because Casemiro bosses the midfield. Either way, we’ll see what happens.
Such as what? What would you suggest he tries?

That’s the thing. Our squad is so poor we don’t have the luxury of trying anything different. It’s a pain in the arse but it is what it so.