Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 478 50.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 49.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I listened to Talk of the Devils too.

One thing I found encouraging from a muppet POV is that ETH turned down some sort of holiday with Ajax to get started early as United manager to get his squad (transfers in, out,) sorted before they go for pre-season.

Ambitious and unlikely, I know. But we might get some business done soon!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We've always hired a manager who was available or could be got without too much trouble. That hasn't changed.

Moyes - the chosen one. He had to resign from Everton to join us. He was so bad, we fired him 10 months later.
LVG - He joined with a big reputation having managed big clubs and also a national team.
Jose - serial winner. Our last trophies were won under him.
Ole - He joined with a very poor reputation as a manager and he had to resign from his current job to join us. He was an unmitigated disaster and has left us in a seriously bad place.
ETH - has had to join us by resigning from his current position (just as Ole and Moyes did, before). He has no reputation for managing a big club or dealing with big players.

Reading that, I would say that ETH does not feel different and we got a manager who could be had without too much trouble (which is usually the case with all clubs).

The worrying thing is that fans are putting huge expectations on ETH - a man who has never managed at this level before and a squad which is in disarray. Some of the posts I've read on this forum are downright delusional. Some are expecting him to improve every single player in our squad and turn us into a well drilled machine within 2 years. In this thread I have read posts suggesting that we are 2 players away from being a great team. Realistically, I expect him to drag us up the table into top 4 in year 2 or 3, then get fired the following year.

I know that it's been bad this season, but guys, just be realistic and manage your expectations with ETH. Unless he is a Moyes style disaster, go easy on him and be realistic with what you expect of him.
The fact he’s clued up before he even starts, decides to start earlier than expected and all the other proactive bits makes me feel like we’re on the right track. ETH himself said that United did loads of checks on him (as did he). Exciting times ahead I feel. But yes, he needs time and expectations tempered

DeGea’sFeet

Let's assume you are right. Hypothetically. But then, as an interim manager with a specific goal, shouldn't he have a Plan B? And Plan C?

What kind of a manager is he, who does not have any line of communication open with his players?
When your players are crap or tactically one inept your plan B is simply to try and be compact and play to their strengths.

Also, most coaches in the style of Pep, ten Hag, to a lesser extent Klopp, don’t have a noticeable plan B with style of play. They change things up with subs, moving players slightly more forward or back, going narrower or wider, giving a CM or CB license to step into FW or CM asking a player to drop drop back etc. Somewho watches Ajax confirmed this to me about ETH on here.

It’s not like SAF 2006-2011 where you could see a noticeable difference in style of play and tactics when we played Saturday Vs (example) Hull and Wednesday night a CL sf Vs Ac Milan

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We've always hired a manager who was available or could be got without too much trouble. That hasn't changed.

Moyes - the chosen one. He had to resign from Everton to join us. He was so bad, we fired him 10 months later.
LVG - He joined with a big reputation having managed big clubs and also a national team.
Ole - He joined with a very poor reputation as a manager and he had to resign from his current job to join us. He was an unmitigated disaster and has left us in a seriously bad place.
ETH - has had to join us by resigning from his current position (just as Ole and Moyes did, before). He has no reputation for managing a big club or dealing with big players.

Reading that, I would say that ETH does not feel different and we got a manager who could be had without too much trouble (which is usually the case with all clubs).

The worrying thing is that fans are putting huge expectations on ETH - a man who has never managed at this level before and a squad which is in disarray. Some of the posts I've read on this forum are downright delusional. Some are expecting him to improve every single player in our squad and turn us into a well drilled machine within 2 years. In this thread I have read posts suggesting that we are 2 players away from being a great team. Realistically, I expect him to drag us up the table into top 4 in year 2 or 3, then get fired the following year.

I know that it's been bad this season, but guys, just be realistic and manage your expectations with ETH. Unless he is a Moyes style disaster, go easy on him and be realistic with what you expect of him.
I agree with most of the post.
Only encouragement is the fact that, if Ole managed to get us 3rd in his first full season, why would it be so difficult for ETH ?
We are in a bad situation that's a certainty and that's on our board, past managers and players aswell. The new manager will have a very difficult task ahead.
Depending on the summer signings and how much we spend, if we finish outside top 4 next season, I wouldn't give ETH another year.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.

I would agree with above except with all those appointments we had old staff where as now we have made changes upstairs and with coaching.
Whether they will be better than what we had time will tell.

Revaulx

Yeah I get all that. The difference is that there's at least a reasonable chance that this time:
  1. The people who have selected him have some understanding of football
  2. He will be supported by a backroom organisation that has some understanding of football
I wasn't happy with Moyes' appointment and rejoiced when he was fired, but even back then it was becoming clear that the club's scouting etc. was in a lamentable state.

Completely agree. I can't help thinking that the players he'll be putting the effort into improving are the ones who regularly show they aren't afraid of hard work (Dalot, Fred, Elanga, McTominay possibly) and not necessarily the one with personal fanclubs (Shaw, Rashford, maybe even Sancho). This is bound to upset a lot of people.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Erik ten Hag appointment reminds me a little bit of when we hired that Scottish guy almost 37 years ago.

Unproven at highest level but has climb his way up the difficulty ladder with patience and success to the extend that his CV is impossible to ignore. A detail freak with a leader philosophy who’s easy to identity both on and off the pitch. Things that we often see in other successful entrepreneurs and leaders.

This is the first time since Sir Alex that I has this euphoric feeling that we’re on the right track again.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

There’s negatively then there is this. Feck me :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

No one has managed a big club until they have.

Pep started off as manager of Barca's B team, Klopp started at Mainz.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
“Managing a big club” is such a stupid fecking excuse for why one manager is more desirable than another. Also laughable to compare ETH leaving Ajax to come here to fecking Oles hiring.
Exactly. No manager started off at a big club but if a manager is good enough, he will be a success. Why it did not work out with any other manager is mainly because of our board, players and incompetent managers

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Only encouragement is the fact that, if Ole managed to get us 3rd in his first full season, why would it be so difficult for ETH ?
We are in a bad situation that's a certainty and that's on our board, past managers and players aswell. The new manager will have a very difficult task ahead.
Depending on the summer signings and how much we spend, if we finish outside top 4 next season, I wouldn't give ETH another year.
Crazy expectation. He deserves the time to not only sort the squad out but also impose his style of play.

Lebo

I can’t believe people are comparing ETH with other managers we appointed . First of all, none of those managers had any history of playing proactive football trying to dominate the opposition with the exception of LVG who ended the first season on a promising note . Second season unfortunately turned out to be disaster for reasons I personally attribute to player attitude based on the leaks about players not watching their performance reviews from him. Imagine the disrespect.

captaincantona

Ridiculous expectations. We have 3 of the top 5 teams in Europe taking up the first 3 spots in the league. We are a mid table side now regardless of what we spend. Our squad is being completely overhauled and we have an entirely new philosophy to adapt to. Add to that the dressing room issues and the added pressure of the media waiting for us to capitulate further - if possible...4th would be a fuking miracle mate!

edcunited1878

Do people not realize that EtH skipped a scheduled Ajax post-season 'holiday' in Curacao? He was going to do some football related activities during that time anyways, but has pivoted that time to his actual full-time position with United. He's going to and has to take a break soon after this week, just like the players who will go away.

It's really interesting to see how many non-Americans question and don't understand the American work mentality (i.e. how most Americans in the work force work too much and don't take/have limited vacation), yet when it comes to football and specifically EtH, they LOVE the fact he's "cancelled" time away to work on United. And there were some who wanted him to take up training and coaching the first team for the last game of the season against Palace immediate after finishing the Dutch season!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The American work mentality is a horrible broken system though. Americans get barely any holiday pay in most jobs and it's disgraceful.
Yep. 12 unpaid weeks for mothers with newborn babies is the most brutal thing for me

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
All the teams around us will be looking to improve their squads too. We won't have a better squad than Chelsea and Spurs. Top 4 next season isn't particularly likely from where we're at.

Blood Mage

As others have said, we needed our own football-obsessed workaholic nerd coach. It's why Pep and Klopp are the best in class.

BlueHaze

Erik ten Hag appointment reminds me a little bit of when we hired that Scottish guy almost 37 years ago.

Unproven at highest level but has climb his way up the difficulty ladder with patience and success to the extend that his CV is impossible to ignore. A detail freak with a leader philosophy who’s easy to identity both on and off the pitch. Things that we often see in other successful entrepreneurs and leaders.

This is the first time since Sir Alex that I has this euphoric feeling that we’re on the right track again.
I wouldn't say he was unproven at the highest level. In the european cup winners cup he had his Aberdeen side knock out Bayern and they even beat Real Madrid in the final. What he did with that Aberdeen team was an absolutely astonishing achievement.

No one has been able to replicate the success he had there. His success in the european cup winners cup was a contributing factor to why United went after him.

redcucumber

The prevailing consensus is that people are willing to give him at least 2/3 years to get the squad and club in decent shape again. The expectations have never been lower for a new manager coming, in my opinion. He's got a mammoth job in terms of navigating the cull, getting in requisite replacements and instilling a sense of identity and purpose. How many are expecting big things next season in terms of challenging for honours/assuming automatic CL place? It's a big ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Ridiculous expectations. We have 3 of the top 5 teams in Europe taking up the first 3 spots in the league. We are a mid table side now regardless of what we spend. Our squad is being completely overhauled and we have an entirely new philosophy to adapt to. Add to that the dressing room issues and the added pressure of the media waiting for us to capitulate further - if possible...4th would be a fuking miracle mate!
Oh come on now don’t lower expectations for no reason. This same squad finished third and second in successive seasons. Our competition is a bang average Chelsea side with no owners and two shite north London clubs. No excuses not to get top four if we get our act together.,

NewYorkRed

The American work mentality is a horrible broken system though. Americans get barely any holiday pay in most jobs and it's disgraceful.
Its tough. Think as a nation we are wired to always be doing something but, for the first time ever, when I started working remotely due to the pandemic, it really hit home in terms of how much time I was devoting at work and how much more I can do with my day if I’m remote. Think a lot of the country is now starting to feel similarly.

edcunited1878

Oh come on now don’t lower expectations for no reason. This same squad finished third and second in successive seasons. Our competition is a bang average Chelsea side with no owners and two shite north London clubs. No excuses not to get top four if we get our act together.,
4th place wouldn't be a miracle, as you mentioned....the current squad under Ralf had many, many opportunities to get enough points to be in a better position than they are now. Chelsea, Spurs, and Arsenal have all had nice results streaks throughout the season, but look where they are still now....it's not that impressive or worthy. United may have had one or two at most, but cratered around the time they lost to Atletico, then injuries, happened.

I'm not too worried about where United finish in the next couple of years. EtH has enough talent in the squad to be around a CL place, even before reinforcements come this summer.

When Conte took over, Spurs were in 9th, but more importantly, only 6 points behind 4th place through 11 matchweeks. There's so much still to play for, more than 2/3rds of the season remaining.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

It is a bad mentality, but the point still stands, people enjoyed the fact that EtH didn't join Ajax in Curacao, even if he is still planning to have a break.

The American work system/structure will always be what it is, unfortunately. There might be some improvement and differences based on where you live, whom you work for, etc. but for the most part, it is limiting.

Grande

I wouldn't say he was unproven at the highest level. In the european cup winners cup he had his Aberdeen side knock out Bayern and they even beat Real Madrid in the final. What he did with that Aberdeen team was an absolutely astonishing achievement.

No one has been able to replicate the success he had there. His success in the european cup winners cup was a contributing factor to why United went after him.
I assume the posters point was not that they have proven nothing, but rather, that they still had much to prove at the highest level. Which holds true, I think. Beating the likes of Real Madrid, Bayern and Juventus with an inferior side is certainly proving something, yet it is not the same as winning the most competive league in the world. What Ten Hag has in common with the Gaffer, is building overachievement from the ground up at several levels, producing a league winning machine at a second tier European level, and shocking above weight in a set of knock out games in Europe.

It’s enough to want to give someone a real shot at building a team over some time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Mike Verweij: "A royal entrance for ten Hag and Van de Gaag who are being flown over to London via a private jet."