Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 297 40.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 431 59.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Chairman Steve

He sure dresses smartly for work, compared to Klopp and Tuchel’s overgrown chav look.

Dunno how he’ll compare to the divorced dad in mid life crisis look Guardiola rocks.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I can imagine as soon as he mentions a strikers name the board panicking with sweat and start suggesting how rashford can fill in the positions he wants.

Brophs

The One and Only
Nice to see Shooter McGavin is part of the backroom staff.

Olecurls99

Dalot is fine. It’s the complete lack of movement in front of him and tracking back that leaves him looking ropey. He’s crossing balls to nobody and flying back to mark two players. Most thankless job in the team after Ronadlo
Yeah this is a good sign if true. The boy has the right type of ability to play in a forward thinking team. I'm liking the sound of this.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He sure dresses smartly for work, compared to Klopp and Tuchel’s overgrown chav look.

Dunno how he’ll compare to the divorced dad in mid life crisis look Guardiola rocks.
To be fair he was born in millionaire family, probably already gets used to see his family dress very formal at work.

marcus agrippa

:lol::lol::lol:

Ruthless.. minimum requirements. It's exactly why Man Utd is where it is. You should stick to a plan, regardless of the results. You are where you are because you signed Moyes (who simply wasn't good enough), then Van Gaal (who was playing boring football, but actually building something), then Mourinho (because he was supposed to always win, but a total different manager to Van Gaal therefore totally new plan) and then Solskjaer (who basicly had no plan).

If you want to get somewhere you need a plan and you need to stick to it regardless of the results. You are in a massive rebuild and not in a great position in terms of players being available to you. Elite players and top prospects are not joining a team that needs a rebuild and don't play Champions League. Klopp needed two years to get to top 4 and 4 years to challenge for the title and that was in a time where the top teams of that period were declining (bar City), whereas right now Liverpool and City are miles ahead and don't look like declining within the next three years.

United could challenge top 4 next season, but it also can easily happen that United don't. New manager with a new philosophy needs time to adjust. The squad needs to be adjusted which may not be possible enough in one or two windows. The difference between getting a lucky streak or an unlucky streak in the season can easily add up to 15-20 points. This can be the difference between 3rd and 10th place. If you're finishing 10th because of a significant unlucky streak you should be able to recognize that, not panic and stick to the plan. It is a realistic possibility.

Next season won't be perfect, the game plan won't be executed perfectly, players will probably make costly mistakes here and there. That's all part of a new project. If things go well and you'll get some luck you can challenge for 4th. If the changes take more time than hoped for and United also get a bit a an unlucky run, United can easily end up somewhere around the 8th place as well. Doesn't mean you should change the plan, because as mentioned that is exactly why United is where it is right now.
Good post.

Marcus

I want ETH to be the wizard we have all been waiting for. One who can raise the collective level of players - existing, youth and new additions.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I want ETH to be the wizard we have all been waiting for. One who can raise the collective level of players - existing, youth and new additions.
I fear like anything which such sky-high, lofty expectations, he will cause or suffer some early discombobulation and wobbles. I am certain we will see a few fans fold early too.

And caftards are great at a couple of things -- perfect 20/20 hindsight visions. Plus making this management malarkey sound so simple and obvious.

TheRedHearted

What I don’t like is the “raid my old team” rumours. Because Klopp nor Pep did that and I don’t think it’s always the best way

edcunited1878

EtH isn't recommending all these Ajax players in a vacuum. It is a collective effort on identifying and concluding who is worthy of being transferred into the club.

Murtough has streamlined the process and leads the effort, but really incorporates EtH since he's in charge of all first team issues. This is the point of this week and preparing the squad for summer transfer ins and outs, then squad preparation for pre season.

Too many people know nothing, but try to connect the dots and people fall for it.

The club has been interested in a CM and RB since last year. And know that two forward line positions are vacant, compounded by Greenwood and Ronalod () situations.

To that, CBs are at a limitation with only Varane, Lindelof, and Maguire actually playing most minutes and under strong contracts with nobody coming through...Tuanzebe and Mengi are not ready nor good enough. So a CB is needed as well, unless EtH is planning to reinvent a player into a CB like McTominay, which further emphasizes the need for at least 2 CM to come in like Garner and a new signing.

Jibbs

EtH isn't recommending all these Ajax players in a vacuum. It is a collective effort on identifying and concluding who is worthy of being transferred into the club.

Murtough has streamlined the process and leads the effort, but really incorporates EtH since he's in charge of all first team issues. This is the point of this week and preparing the squad for summer transfer ins and outs, then squad preparation for pre season.

Too many people know nothing, but try to connect the dots and people fall for it.

The club has been interested in a CM and RB since last year. And know that two forward line positions are vacant, compounded by Greenwood and Ronalod () situations.

To that, CBs are at a limitation with only Varane, Lindelof, and Maguire actually playing most minutes and under strong contracts with nobody coming through...Tuanzebe and Mengi are not ready nor good enough. So a CB is needed as well, unless EtH is planning to reinvent a player into a CB like McTominay, which further emphasizes the need for at least 2 CM to come in like Garner and a new signing.
With Jones, Bailly, Tuanzebe, AWB all going out, we need 2 news players at the back. If we are getting Timber to cover both RB and Cb we need to get Ndicka as left footed CB to slot in that left CB position.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
What I don’t like is the “raid my old team” rumours. Because Klopp nor Pep did that and I don’t think it’s always the best way
Oh, it's definitely not always the best way — and for example, the Dutchification of Barcelona under van Gaal was a bit too heavy-handed at times (and also not uniformly successful with acquisitions like Litmanen and Bogarde in particular). But Klopp did sign Zidan, Subotić, Vrancić and Feulner at Borussia Dortmund (all of them had previously played at Mainz 05). Maybe he didn't want to disrupt his old club in his new job at Liverpool, maybe he wanted to try a slightly different approach with a fresh bunch, maybe the right opportunity didn't present itself — we aren't privy to everything that transpired, and can't say for sure. Wenger signed a few former players at Arsenal as well (like Henry, Petit and Grimaldi) and they contributed to the club's success (and Gooners faithful must privately wish they had signed Thuram, Trézéguet and Sagnol too). If a former or current Ajax player is exactly who we need in terms of fit and general characteristics, and ten Hag feels they can be readily integrated, it would behoove us to at least consider the notion of signing them — especially when the management of Ajax (led by van der Sar, of course) lets players go at a reasonable price instead of cynically creating an inflated market for the highest bidders (which can be a slippery slope for clubs that are attempting to refurbish their squad).

Sviken

TBF, neither City/Bayern or Liverpool back then were in any position to "raid" Barcelona or Dortmund comparative to their stature. United are a much bigger club than Ajax financially speaking, so it's not the same situation.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whilst I kind of agree that I don’t want to turn to a full on PL version of Ajax -

Ajax do tend to have great young players that develop and play well in other leagues and clubs. So I’m kind of okay with it too to some level.

edcunited1878

With Jones, Bailly, Tuanzebe, AWB all going out, we need 2 news players at the back. If we are getting Timber to cover both RB and Cb we need to get Ndicka as left footed CB to slot in that left CB position.
Only 1 CB is needed if those 3 are leaving. And this is a work in progress with young cover available. We aren't winning the league next year or two, so develop who you can and choose who you can offload or get by with. Dalot, Williams, Laird for RB. Shaw, Telles, Fernandez or Williams for LB. Varane, Lindelof, Maguire and a (new) 4th CB.

Address defensive position next window(s) if a clear upgrade is necessary or available.

RkkMan

Only 1 CB is needed if those 3 are leaving. And this is a work in progress with young cover available. We aren't winning the league next year or two, so develop who you can and choose who you can offload or get by with. Dalot, Williams, Laird for RB. Shaw, Telles, Fernandez or Williams for LB. Varane, Lindelof, Maguire and a (new) 4th CB.

Address defensive position next window(s) if a clear upgrade is necessary or available.
You're then putting too much stock in unproven youngsters to come good as well as underperforming players to come good it's a massive risk for a position as key as fullbacks. At RB Dalot is okay as cover but the other two have had mixed loan spells and in the case of Williams shown here he's not good enough. At LB Fernandez is still a year or two away from being first team material and Telles is our worst fullback since Darmian.
Factor in an extra position or two needing investment next summer and if your strategy was to backfire come next year you find yourself having to deal with an unnecessary amount of workload with squad building at a point where there should be clear progression not regression. We HAVE GOT to sign a RB at the bare minimum this summer(if not a RB and LB) to at the very least alienate the work we'll have to do in the 2nd year of our rebuild

edcunited1878

You're then putting too much stock in unproven youngsters to come good as well as underperforming players to come good it's a massive risk for a position as key as fullbacks. At RB Dalot is okay as cover but the other two have had mixed loan spells and in the case of Williams shown here he's not good enough. At LB Fernandez is still a year or two away from being first team material and Telles is our worst fullback since Darmian.
Factor in an extra position or two needing investment next summer and if your strategy was to backfire come next year you find yourself having to deal with an unnecessary amount of workload with squad building at a point where there should be clear progression not regression. We HAVE GOT to sign a RB at the bare minimum this summer(if not a RB and LB) to at the very least alienate the work we'll have to do in the 2nd year of our rebuild
United have greatly underachieving this season, yet are "only" 8 to 10 points behind a Top 4 position. And that's just counting matches where they had leads and just collapsed, nevermind the abject matches that they walked through. If they were just average, they would have been much much over to 3rd than 6th or 7th.

The retooling of the squad isn't going to be 1 year. Even going into this 3rd year managed by Ole, the club had to address CM, RB, and the forward line. Cavani and Ronaldo were short term fills, club knew Pogba, Matic, and Mata were out soon. Alienation of their back up CBs. Then Greenwood. If the CBs, forwards, and Bruno were at a good to better than average level, knowing they were more poor to good, United would already be in better position with the play of DDG and Ronaldo. Way too many players were average to below average this year. Don't see them sustain that level next year.

WPMUFC

Do we reckon every bad pass and every missed shot on goal will cut straight to "Erik Cam"?

I really want that to happen just for the bants. :lol:

RkkMan

United have greatly underachieving this season, yet are "only" 8 to 10 points behind a Top 4 position. And that's just counting matches where they had leads and just collapsed, nevermind the abject matches that they walked through. If they were just average, they would have been much much over to 3rd than 6th or 7th.

The retooling of the squad isn't going to be 1 year. Even going into this 3rd year managed by Ole, the club had to address CM, RB, and the forward line. Cavani and Ronaldo were short term fills, club knew Pogba, Matic, and Mata were out soon. Alienation of their back up CBs. Then Greenwood. If the CBs, forwards, and Bruno were at a good to better than average level, knowing they were more poor to good, United would already be in better position with the play of DDG and Ronaldo. Way too many players were average to below average this year. Don't see them sustain that level next year.
The bolded part proves my point. To avoid such a problem we shouldn't make the mistake of pushing back important positions by a year like in Ole's second summer when he got none of his preferred targets. Even though he deserved to go he'd have faired better had he gotten a DM and CB that year instead of a bunch of expensive squad players like VDB.
And yes we have underperformed this year but the lack of professionalism combined with the underperformance needs to make Ten Hag and us fans wary of trusting the players too much to recapture form they're not guaranteed to get back because if it backfires come next year you're basically two steps back when you should be two steps forward. In my eyes outside our signings from last summer who need time to blend in only Bruno, Rashford and Shaw "underperformed" everyone else who's been poor isn't in bad form they're just bad players who need to be replaced especially at fullback. Telles has been here two years and at 29 if he's still not cutting it he never will. Shaw whilst good has only had ONE good season in 8 years. Dalot is a squad player at best. Williams didn't cut it at Norwich and here. Laird didn't cut it at Bournemouth. Fernandez is still very young. AWB is a terrible RB and an anthesis of Ten Hag football.
You're not going to succeed if those are your fullback options at top level and it's not giving yourself the best chance of success hoping risky pieces fall in place.

edcunited1878

The bolded part proves my point. To avoid such a problem we shouldn't make the mistake of pushing back important positions by a year like in Ole's second summer when he got none of his preferred targets. Even though he deserved to go he'd have faired better had he gotten a DM and CB that year instead of a bunch of expensive squad players like VDB.
And yes we have underperformed this year but the lack of professionalism combined with the underperformance needs to make Ten Hag and us fans wary of trusting the players too much to recapture form they're not guaranteed to get back because if it backfires come next year you're basically two steps back when you should be two steps forward. In my eyes outside our signings from last summer who need time to blend in only Bruno, Rashford and Shaw "underperformed" everyone else who's been poor isn't in bad form they're just bad players who need to be replaced especially at fullback. Telles has been here two years and at 29 if he's still not cutting it he never will. Shaw whilst good has only had ONE good season in 8 years. Dalot is a squad player at best. Williams didn't cut it at Norwich and here. Laird didn't cut it at Bournemouth. Fernandez is still very young. AWB is a terrible RB and an anthesis of Ten Hag football.
You're not going to succeed if those are your fullback options at top level and it's not giving yourself the best chance of success hoping risky pieces fall in place.
Shaw, Telles, and Fernandez can make due for LB. Can't be so picky when there are worse off positions like central midfield and forward where Elanga, Rashford, Sancho aren't going to cut it if it's only Ronaldo and Martial as the other two.

It remains to be seen how EtH begins to shape the squad into what he thinks is the best way forward. Sometimes, you have to lay down the core principles and fill in the gaps at some positions until clear upgrades are available. Make due with what is available.

DDG doesn't claim enough high balls or protect a high line as well as many other keepers. But that doesn't mean he's so bad we can't persist with him for another 2 seasons until there is a clear heir apparent or a shrewd purchase to help bridge the transition as DDGs contract runs out if Henderson is allowed to leave on loan or permanently.

Sell Maguire fine, but that leaves 2 first team pros if Bailly, Jones, and Tuanzebe are to leave. Shaw, Telles, Dalot, Williams, and AWB are serviceable. At least Shaw has shown to be average to very good, while the others have never reached his heights.

What I'm saying is, with a better coaching staff and preparation, United should improve even without a significant ins and outs. But with many ins and outs being inevitable, it will be a fun summer.

And in addition to Bruno, Shaw, and Rashford...Maguire, AWB, McTominay, Pogba, Greenwood, VDB, Martial, and Cavani underperformed considering injuries and overall performance compared to previous years or the need for them to sustain, but realistically be better and improve for the greater good.

RkkMan

Shaw, Telles, and Fernandez can make due for LB. Can't be so picky when there are worse off positions like central midfield and forward where Elanga, Rashford, Sancho aren't going to cut it if it's only Ronaldo and Martial as the other two.

It remains to be seen how EtH begins to shape the squad into what he thinks is the best way forward. Sometimes, you have to lay down the core principles and fill in the gaps at some positions until clear upgrades are available. Make due with what is available.

DDG doesn't claim enough high balls or protect a high line as well as many other keepers. But that doesn't mean he's so bad we can't persist with him for another 2 seasons until there is a clear heir apparent or a shrewd purchase to help bridge the transition as DDGs contract runs out if Henderson is allowed to leave on loan or permanently.

Sell Maguire fine, but that leaves 2 first team pros if Bailly, Jones, and Tuanzebe are to leave. Shaw, Telles, Dalot, Williams, and AWB are serviceable. At least Shaw has shown to be average to very good, while the others have never reached his heights.

What I'm saying is, with a better coaching staff and preparation, United should improve even without a significant ins and outs. But with many ins and outs being inevitable, it will be a fun summer.

And in addition to Bruno, Shaw, and Rashford...Maguire, AWB, McTominay, Pogba, Greenwood, VDB, Martial, and Cavani underperformed considering injuries and overall performance compared to previous years or the need for them to sustain, but realistically be better and improve for the greater good.
I don't disagree we can't deal with all positions now, I especially agree with the GK and trust me I'm not a fan of DDG. I disagree that the fullback area is somewhere we can work with makeshifts if you're going to ignore signing a new GK and a new RW especially at RW because there's no amount of black magic that will make Sancho perform as a RW if Dalot/AWB/Williams/Laird are the RBs. He did well at BVB because of Hakimi when he left for Inter Sancho had to be switched to the left. It's such a key position in the modern era if you want to succeed. Just saying that if you're going to ignore one area invest in another don't leave anything and everything to chance after such a bad season in a competitive league because the potential consequences of negligence will be severe and leave us further behind.
On the underperforming players the problem is this
McTominay- Terrible on the ball for a possession based system can't be anything more than a squad player.
Maguire- Terrible in any system that isn't counter attacking. A massive black hole in a high press high line. We're buying a CB so he'll likely be phased out if he stays
AWB- Like Maguire terrible in a system that doesn't involve sitting back because attacking is not his prerogative and a terrible fit for Sancho on the RW
Martial- He's been terrible for well over a year now and has been terrible in Spain despite having the perfect conditions to play well including original Ronaldo's blessing. Gobsmacked you've mentioned him because not even his own fans believe he makes it here
VDB- I agree here
Pogba, Greenwood, Cavani- They'll never play for us again

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Up to 10 players leaving, some for free, some to be sold. I like that ETH wants to clean out and I also hope it gives the players a much needed kick up the ass, as they know no one is really safe. Keep them worried so they know times are hopefully changing now

ash_86

BBC) Simon Stone - It is anticipated Ten Hag will speak to interim boss Rangnick to get his thoughts on the United squad - and the reasons why the season has imploded.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/manchester-united

Code:
Simon Stone, BBC Sport

New Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag will be in the stands for the club’s final game of the season at Crystal Palace on Sunday.

The Dutchman, 52, has purposely kept away from Manchester this week to allow Ralf Rangnick space to prepare his team.

However, he has been heavily involved in planning for the new campaign, including sorting out a return to training and what his squad is likely to look like.

Ten Hag has also flown into London this week for further talks with the club hierarchy and will be in Manchester next week.

It is anticipated he will speak to interim boss Rangnick to get his thoughts on the United squad - and the reasons why the season has imploded.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when this happens :drool:

Olecurls99

Two months into next season rashford will drop a leak that the instructions are too complex for the players to understand let alone execute it. Then some of the players will start throwing ten hag under the bus and a segment of the fanbase will jump onto the "sack the manager" bangwagon. Rinse and repeat.
This terrifies me

Speako

Not even a glimmer of smugness, all business. I’ve no doubt straight after this picture was taken, he turned to his right and said ‘Make damn sure you wear some fecking socks next time, imbecile’.

Telsim

That's the big question. Will this lot on here turn quicker than a pancake on Tuesday?
Bet on it. Already seen people setting conditions for their support next season. "If X doesn't happen we have a problem". It's mental considering we are below rock bottom and next season will quickly be interrupted by the idiotic winter World Cup.

This isn't Tuchel who walked in on a good squad. This is Ten Hag walking into a burning trainwreck. 2 years is what I expect it will take to see big progress.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Two months into next season rashford will drop a leak that the instructions are too complex for the players to understand let alone execute it. Then some of the players will start throwing ten hag under the bus and a segment of the fanbase will jump onto the "sack the manager" bangwagon. Rinse and repeat.
Probably, but I don't think the players have any credit left with the fans to be able to pull this off and lay the blame with another manager. They've been sussed, not just by those higher up within the club, but also the fans.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
BBC) Simon Stone - It is anticipated Ten Hag will speak to interim boss Rangnick to get his thoughts on the United squad - and the reasons why the season has imploded.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/manchester-united

Code:
Simon Stone, BBC Sport

New Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag will be in the stands for the club’s final game of the season at Crystal Palace on Sunday.

The Dutchman, 52, has purposely kept away from Manchester this week to allow Ralf Rangnick space to prepare his team.

However, he has been heavily involved in planning for the new campaign, including sorting out a return to training and what his squad is likely to look like.

Ten Hag has also flown into London this week for further talks with the club hierarchy and will be in Manchester next week.

It is anticipated he will speak to interim boss Rangnick to get his thoughts on the United squad - and the reasons why the season has imploded.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when this happens :drool:
“Get yourself some snacks and a coffee, well be in here for a while”

That meeting room will get musky.

Olecurls99

Bet on it. Already seen people setting conditions for their support next season. "If X doesn't happen we have a problem". It's mental considering we are below rock bottom and next season will quickly be interrupted by the idiotic winter World Cup.

This isn't Tuchel who walked in on a good squad. This is Ten Hag walking into a burning trainwreck. 2 years is what I expect it will take to see big progress.
1st season - Signs of implementing the system. No CL requirement
2nd season - CL football and improvement in playing style
3rd season - title challenge playing the United way. I'd be happy to just challenge as long as the football was decent by this stage.

Tavern in the town

The fact that some of you are happy with us not finishing in the top 4 next season given how shite our competition is and how much money we’ll inevitably spend is mental. I really don’t get the lowering of expectations.

JB7

The fact that some of you are happy with us not finishing in the top 4 next season given how shite our competition is and how much money we’ll inevitably spend is mental. I really don’t get the lowering of expectations.
It's all rather odd, especially given I'd be shocked if Ten Hag himself doesn't expect to make the top 4 next season. Fan expectations are normally unrealistically high, rather than low.