Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 657 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 810 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
One Eric came in to save the club, and spark our most successful period in decades.

Now another Erik is about to arrive in our time of need. Coincidence? I think not. :drool:

phelans shorts

Just because it's not destroyed the whole of humanity doesn't mean it's not a factor. Fergie predicted it years ago.
I mean, of course Fergie said that when he did. He is one of the all time great man managers, but it’s incredibly difficult for a man well into his 70’s by that point to get his point across to a 20 year old. The fact is that society is ever changing and man management means keeping on top of that. Fergie was no doubt feeling more and more and more like he was getting out of touch, because he was, and that’s fine.

It’s a lazy cop out to blame it on the kids, despite evidence being entirely the opposite as @JPRouve has pointed out.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Sanctioned the crazy increase in wages for Bruno,wants to extend Rashfords contract and wants to sign full English Brexit players like Phillips for 60m.

Ole Gunnar Hag.

RiqCantona

If they had any foresight, they'd listen to RR and they'd already know where to sign 3-4 key players. But, this is United so they won't.
If there is actually a revamp/overhaul happening - then they will. I don't think ETH will appreciate players being imposed upon him for commercial reasons.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Don't they have really good French fries in the Netherlands?

Imagine how popular he would be if he brings in a bag to Carrington

L1nk

One Eric came in to save the club, and spark our most successful period in decades.

Now another Erik is about to arrive in our time of need. Coincidence? I think not. :drool:
Bailly's not been that good

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The start of a change at Man United? I think it's become evident you can't just hire any manager and throw money at players. Needs to be a project and foundation created with a long-term vision and recruitment to supplement that vision.

Long Time Red

I hope he can, but this squad looks like it couldn't give a shit and if he can't get them playing will he be allowed to get rid of them?

Something tells me that rashford, Shaw, maguire...are just too important to the brand and will never be called out or culled.
I think every player we have can perform a lot better with quality coaching and a better system.

It's why I'm against a mass clearout this summer despite what Rangnick says.

Lets see how they do with proper coaching and then decide who to get rid of.

Even if some of them still aren't quite good enough their values will likely be higher than they are this summer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Since Steele left it's all gone to shit ironically
Things weren't good when Steele was around, De Gea's game and in particular command of the box was heavily criticized. De Gea improved when Steele left in particular with Hoek and things went downhill when Mourinho hired De Gea's former coach, the one he had at Atletico that was later fired by Ole for allegedly conducting himself poorly during preseason.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Things weren't good when Steele was around, De Gea's game and in particular command of the box was heavily criticized. De Gea improved when Steele left in particular with Hoek and things went downhill when Mourinho hired De Gea's former coach, the one he had at Atletico that was later fired by Ole for allegedly conducting himself poorly during preseason.
We haven't won a league title since Steele left. Clearly he was the glue that held the club together.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I mean, of course Fergie said that when he did. He is one of the all time great man managers, but it’s incredibly difficult for a man well into his 70’s by that point to get his point across to a 20 year old. The fact is that society is ever changing and man management means keeping on top of that. Fergie was no doubt feeling more and more and more like he was getting out of touch, because he was, and that’s fine.

It’s a lazy cop out to blame it on the kids, despite evidence being entirely the opposite as @JPRouve has pointed out.
Again, I'm basing it mostly on our players and the wave of managers they've seen off. The arrogance of our squad dismissively saying they had to Google Ralf is the kinda thing I'm talking about.

I think dismissing Fergie as just old is quite insulting and also a bit lazy, he was a very perceptive man with regard to structure and managing people.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Ralf is sounding a bit defensive there.
In what sense? If anything, he is hitting out at the bad squad and the odd employees we have as there were new reports that he doesn't understand Fletchers position. Earlier on in the season he also said he doesn't understand phelans position.

JPRouve

Scout
Again, I'm basing it mostly on our players and the wave of managers they've seen off. The arrogance of our squad dismissively saying they had to Google Ralf is the kinda thing I'm talking about.

I think dismissing Fergie as just old is quite insulting and also a bit lazy, he was a very perceptive man with regard to structure and managing people.
Our team and players haven't seen a particularly large amount of managers and these managers weren't exactly good ones either. Also it's not a good idea to base your take on a rumour of an unnamed player googling something.

Grande

Expected but nonetheless interesting. Notice he says he did advice the club (Murtough/Arnold) that Ten Hag would be a good - not coach, but - choice. There are many good coaches, but ‘good choice’ signals that he was in favor of picking Ten Hag over Poch and the other candidates. So from Rangnik, that is high praise indeed, most likely.

phelans shorts

I never dismissed Fergie as old, I said as the age gap between him and the players grew keeping up with what was necessary to relate and get through gets more and more difficult. It’s just a fact.

redmanx

He is the only choice right now and I am fully behind it. However, it is also very high risk given that he has never managed in a big league or for a too club with all eyes on them at all times. Let’s be frank, winning the league with Ajax is smooth sailing and nobody cares about Heracles and Vitesse. We might see a bloke completely out in deep water, who knows, that’s always the chance when hiring from the little leagues. Good luck, he will need it, hope his ability to implement strategy is close to what we hope.
Im just so glad we didnt end up with Poch, I have never rated him.

redcorner

The only way ETH will succeed at Man Utd is if he comes in straight away and gets rid of 8-10 players and not fall into the trap of trying to work with existing players.

Its not that we dont have good players but they have simply gone stale at Man Utd. If ETH fails at Man Utd and current players still remain, then simply allow one of them to become player manager cause the player mafia runs very deep

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Our team and players haven't seen a particularly large amount of managers and these managers weren't exactly good ones either. Also it's not a good idea to base your take on a rumour of an unnamed player googling something.
Of course. The reality is that this is a board compromised almost entirely on unsubstantiated opinions. But we are in an unholy mess, and I think, controversially it seems, that our players' attitudes might be questionable.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I never dismissed Fergie as old, I said as the age gap between him and the players grew keeping up with what was necessary to relate and get through gets more and more difficult. It’s just a fact.
No, you dismissed his take because of age. I think his position and experience carry more weight than your facts Rafa.

phelans shorts

Of course. The reality is that this is a board compromised almost entirely on unsubstantiated opinions. But we are in an unholy mess, and I think, controversially it seems, that our players' attitudes might be questionable.
I’d just like to point out that I do think there are issues within the group, my point is purely that these issues aren’t because of age
No, you dismissed his take because of age. I think his position and experience carry more weight than your facts Rafa.
No, I said that he’ll have been finding it more difficult than ever. Fergie of 20 years prior to that would probably have disagreed entirely with his own words from later, but this is getting very far from the initial point that age is irrelevant to the issues.

Member 101269

Mmmmkay... :lol: Not through a measure you aware of. Duly noted.

Neither, as you were. Cheerio.
The irony; your measure of age seems based on personal views etc, then transferred as an homogeneity of human experience. Yet, you're on this forum where human experiences, views and knowledge is diverse.

Like i said, I have no idea what you're on about. At least 2b to get to the top. There is only you trying to be personal

Last edited by a moderator:

JPRouve

Scout
Why would our players be that different to players from other clubs? Do you consider that clubs that are doing worse, are in their predicament due to players having questionable attitudes? Why the attitude of our players became questionable at United and not before?

The way I see things, we didn't hire particularly good managers and we don't have a group of player that is supposed to play at a high level without being heavily supported by a top level head coach and even then it will require additions.

Gorefest

Thank you.

Can we all for once please just get behind the manager without any agendas or "This is why Poch would have been better" nonsense.
I think you've missed the next part of the quote: "We are here today to witness the union of a promising coach and a prestigious club in the joyful bond of the holy wedlock. Unfortunately, one of them, Erik ten Hag, has just fallen to his death."

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Why would our players be that different to players from other clubs? Do you consider that clubs that are doing worse, are in their predicament due to players having questionable attitudes? Why the attitude of our players became questionable at United and not before?

The way I see things, we didn't hire particularly good managers and we don't have a group of player that is supposed to play at a high level without being heavily supported by a top level head coach and even then it will require additions.
Why would our players be different from other clubs? Really? You don't think different clubs have different cultures? You don't think someone like Van Gaal who has been here has an idea about the culture of this club? You don't think the commercial aspect of this club has had a negative effect on the culture at Old Trafford. I do. I have watched us indulge utter charlatans in this squad. I think that has an effect. You don't think that there is any truth in Keane's assessment of our club?