Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 577 54.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 483 45.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TheReligion

Abusive
There’s not a single player in our entire squad that is worth more than that or would get more than that elsewhere, this has been a long time coming. If they don’t like it, I hear Burnley’s nice this time of year.
Of course there is.

200k isn’t that much these days. Just look at what other rivals are paying

crossy1686

career ending
People keep talking about new ownership and how we just need someone who doesn’t syphon off our existing cash and we’ll be fine. Here’s exactly why we won’t, and Ten Hag has touched on it, we don’t sign well enough to be allowed to just jettison a £80m signing off to the French league and take the hit on salaries or whatever for the next 3 years of their contract, we’d have to subsidise that.

The state run clubs can just feck off a failed signIng after a season or two and pay them to leave. We have to keep them on the books forever because we can’t afford to do that and then splurge another £100m in the summer.

crossy1686

career ending
Of course there is.

200k isn’t that much these days. Just look at what other rivals are paying
Name one player that would get that money elsewhere.

Arsenal - Jesus: £265k
Chelsea - Sterling: £325k
City - De Bruyne: £400k
United - De Gea: £375
Liverpool - Salah: £350k
Tottenham - Kane: £200k

They’re the highest paid players per club in the top 6. None of our players have done anything near what most of those names have done.

Last edited:

Zetrio2002

Ten hag has the highest win percentage after 25 games among top current premier league managers!

crossy1686

career ending
Varane
Casemiro
Rashford
Martinez
Shaw
Varane is a CB and shouldn’t be on over £150k
Casemiro is the only one that should be on £200k
Rashford has won the square root of feck all and had one consistent good season.
Martinez was playing in Holland last year.
Shaw? Just no. He’s had one good season in 8 years.

These salaries are earned by being consistently great, not because you moved to United and everyone else is on £150k so you have to start on £200k for it to be ‘fair’.

Stringer

Rashford has won the square root of feck all and had one consistent good season.

These salaries are earned by being consistently great, not because you moved to United and everyone else is on £150k so you have to start on £200k for it to be ‘fair’.
Varane and Casemiro have been the best players (or close to) in the world at their respective positions and are worth far more than Jesus and Sterling. I mean, seriously, the two of them actually left their former club to be regular starters, yet here you are saying they deserve more than genuine world-class players.

crossy1686

career ending
Varane and Casemiro have been the best players (or close to) in the world at their respective positions and are worth far more than Jesus and Sterling. I mean, seriously, the two of them actually left their former club to be regular starters, yet here you are saying they deserve more than genuine world-class players.
We can’t break our wage structure because Chelsea think Sterling is worth £325k a week. Instead we should guarantee trophies and success. If you want the money then go to arsenal and enjoy 4th place, or go to Chelsea and enjoy whatever the feck that is down there, or we get our shit together, start winning things and treating everyone equally and fairly. None of this £400k a week stuff because you sell shirts or because we’re worried you might go to PSG. Fecking go if you want to be Mbappe’s side piece, we shouldn’t care less.

wolvored

Basic salary of 200 large then they introduce a system of performance related bonuses. This is pretty common in the bundesliga, and they don't seem to be short of quality players.
It might well be optics to help the sale but it makes sense.
This. More on scoring clean sheets wins etc. Might make some of the players try harder as well.

Stringer

We can’t break our wage structure because Chelsea think Sterling is worth £325k a week. Instead we should guarantee trophies and success. If you want the money then go to arsenal and enjoy 4th place, or go to Chelsea and enjoy whatever the feck that is down there, or we get our shit together, start winning things and treating everyone equally and fairly. None of this £400k a week stuff because you sell shirts or because we’re worried you might go to PSG. Fecking go if you want to be Mbappe’s side piece, we shouldn’t care less.
Eh? I'm only stating those two are worth more than Jesus and Sterling, and I'm not discussing whether Arsenal and Chelsea are overpaying them. You're the person who made the ridiculous point that Jesus and Sterling are somehow worth more than Varane and Casemiro.

Shai-Hulud

Not too sure I believe this …. Would mean huge pay cuts for current players & attracting future players
Hmm. I don't think I can believe this. If true, it would be very strange timing. Why would we make a new disruptive rule like this *before* the new owners come in and we get to know what restrictions we have to work with?

wolvored

Poor old De Gea. They have cut his wage down a lot. :)

crossy1686

career ending
Eh? I'm only stating those two are worth more than Jesus and Sterling, and I'm not discussing whether Arsenal and Chelsea are overpaying them. You're the person who made the ridiculous point that Jesus and Sterling are somehow worth more than Varane and Casemiro.
It’s all relative. Are Casemiro and Varane really worth more than £200k a week and the rest of our squad (who’ve won nothing) worth less than £150k a week? Or are Sterling and Jesus ridiculously overpaid for what they offer and where they are?

crossy1686

career ending
Hmm. I don't think I can believe this. If true, it would be very strange timing. Why would we make a new disruptive rule like this *before* the new owners come in and we get to know what restrictions we have to work with?
Because our wage structure is fecked and part of the reason we’re in this position is because we keep giving player like Rashford and Martial £250k a week contracts when they renew, then sign a big name on £350k a week and upset everyone. Just cap the salaries and tell everyone this is what you earn when you win 3 PL’s or a CL, the rest of you have some work to put in, you haven’t ‘made it’ yet

Stringer

It’s all relative. Are Casemiro and Varane really worth more than £200k a week and the rest of our squad (who’ve won nothing) worth less than £150k a week? Or are Sterling and Jesus ridiculously overpaid for what they offer and where they are?
Both can be true. IMO I think Varane and Casemiro are worth that, but I do agree that the rest of the squad is overpaid to a certain extent.

Sterling and Jesus are being overpaid if that's what they genuinely earn.

eire-red

Thank god we don't seem to have those momentum-sapping draws that we saw too often under pervious management. It's good to see us being able to put together a sustained string of wins once more.

TheReligion

Abusive

Sorry but you’re living in a fantasy land.

Varane is a multiple CL and WC winner in his late 20s. He’s one of the best of his generation.

Casemiro is a multiple CL winner and one of the best in his class (if not the best).

Both are worth over 200k so you already lost the discussion point

arthurka

It's about fecking time someone got this wage nonsense in order. By default you get 200k just for playing.

crossy1686

career ending
Both can be true. IMO I think Varane and Casemiro are worth that, but I do agree that the rest of the squad is overpaid to a certain extent.
They’re outstanding players, I totally agree with you but they weren’t on that at Madrid, they were no where near £200k, it never affected their ability to perform or win things and they only left when they were ready to leave and Madrid weren’t ready to up their salaries to what we (as a failing institution with deep pockets) were willing to pay them.

We need to get back to that and feck anyone off who comes at us with a £200k+ salary demand from the off. You’re here to win or you’re here for a pay day, pick one.

TheReligion

Abusive

They’re the highest paid players per club in the top 6. None of our players have done anything near what most of those names have done.
What? Varane and Casemiro? They’ve done more than all of them put together :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Sorry but you’re living in a fantasy land.

Varane is a multiple CL and WC winner in his late 20s. He’s one of the best of his generation.

Casemiro is a multiple CL winner and one of the best in his class (if not the best).

Both are worth over 200k so you already lost the discussion point
Then why were they on less than that at Madrid? Surely players of that calibre should be on massive salaries where they are employed?

TheReligion

Abusive
They’re outstanding players, I totally agree with you but they weren’t on that at Madrid, they were no where near £200k, it never affected their ability to perform or win things and they only left when they were ready to leave and Madrid weren’t ready to up their salaries to what we (as a failing institution with deep pockets) were willing to pay them.

We need to get back to that and feck anyone off who comes at us with a £200k+ salary demand from the off. You’re here to win or you’re here for a pay day, pick one.
What were they on at Real then?

TheReligion

Abusive
Then why were they on less than that at Madrid? Surely players of that calibre should be on massive salaries where they are employed?
You’ve just tried to argue that Varane and Casemiro haven’t done as much in their careers as Jesus, KdB, Sterling, Kane and Salah…

Are you drunk?

crossy1686

career ending
You’ve just tried to argue that Varane and Casemiro haven’t done as much in their careers as Jesus, KdB, Sterling, Kane and Salah…

Are you drunk?
:lol: No I did not, I presented a list of players that are over paid daft money at our rivals clubs, showing that even multiple CL winners in our squad aren’t on the those salaries and yet we’ve got players like Martial and Rashford on wages close to Casemiro and Varane, who deservedly have proven, that if anyone in our squad should be paid the cap of £200k, it’s at least one of those.

TheReligion

Abusive
There’s not a single player in our entire squad that is worth more than that or would get more than that elsewhere, this has been a long time coming. If they don’t like it, I hear Burnley’s nice this time of year.

:wenger:

TheReligion

Abusive
@crossy1686

Just for comparison

VVD is on 220k per week
Koulibaly is on 300k
Trent is on 180k
Yet Varane is worth 150k?

Kante is on 290k
KdB 400k
Thiago 200k
Yet Casemiro isn’t worth 200k?

You said ‘not one player in our squad’ was worth that money.

Are you accepting you were wrong now?

Revaulx

I think I came out wrong. I really don’t mean it was as bad as the Ronaldo interview which totally disloyal to the club just that I have never liked when coaches talk to media like this.

I also think he does but it doesn’t make any good to tell how bad players and people working at club have been. It’s not that i disagree just I don’t like him going to media with it.

I never compared the interviews, just said I got similar feelings. If I get that, how is that beyond stupid? It is your conclusion that is beyond stupid.
I understand where you’re coming from.

I think you need to consider the possibility that the interview was given with the club’s blessing though. The club’s own TV station broadcast an interview with Ander Herrera recently in which he was openly critical of the previous regime.

Richard Arnold seems happy to throw Ed Woodward under the bus, and frankly I don’t blame him. If he can get others to fire the bullets that’s fair enough.

Ronaldo’s interview was openly critical of the current regime, which is an altogether different matter.

TheReligion

Abusive
Take Casemiro out of the equation and tell me if you think Martial, De Gea, Rashford, Sancho, Maguire all deserve to be on OVER £200k a week.

Does that not make a mockery of whatever salary we offer the likes of players the same calibre of Casemiro?
Maguire isn’t on over 200k. Nor is Rashford.

I agree the wages handed out have been ridiculous in comparison to performance but I’m arguing that you’re utterly wrong in saying not one player in the squad is worth 200k or more. That’s just nonsense.

crossy1686

career ending
@crossy1686

Just for comparison

VVD is on 220k per week
Koulibaly is on 300k
Trent is on 180k
Yet Varane is worth 150k?

Kante is on 290k
KdB 400k
Thiago 200k
Yet Casemiro isn’t worth 200k?

You said ‘not one player in our squad’ was worth that money.

Are you accepting you were wrong now?
Am I accepting what? That our players should be paid over £200k because some other players (who have done more) are overpaid?

You’re really hung up on Casemiro for some reason. He was paid anywhere between £90k to £175k based on various reports, yet still under £200k.

What do you think the main issue with signing a player like Sanchez was and paying him over £400k?

TheReligion

Abusive
Am I accepting what? That our players should be paid over £200k because some other players (who have done more) are overpaid?

You’re really hung up on Casemiro for some reason. He was paid anywhere between £90k to £175k based on various reports, yet still under £200k.

What do you think the main issue with signing a player like Sanchez was and paying him over £400k?
You said no one in our current squad is worth 200k.

Are you accepting now that you were wrong?

If so we can draw a line under this and move on