Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 544 53.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 477 46.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Scriblerus

Keep. Because we haven't seen what he can do with a settled side yet. However, we have to see some improvement on the pitch. There are a bunch of middling teams at the moment - Brighton, Brentford, Fulham come to mind straight away - who have a coherent and well-drilled presence on the pitch that makes us look like a shambles. That can't go on. And whatever is going on behind the scenes the continuing for sale/not for sale farce can't be good for anyone.

rajds89

Sack him. Never wanted him in the first place so it’s an easy decision for me.

Jericholyte2

Awful performance by him today. Wrong setup, wrong lineup, wrong and late subs. Did nothing to change anything during the game. 2/10 for him today.
What would have been the right subs or set-up? He was always taking Hojlund off as it was only his 2nd game back - bring on Maguire at ST?

Woodzy

Are you being serious? Ten Hag spunked £47m on him, and everyone around here seemed convinced it would improve our "style of play" or something, despite being an arguably worse shit stopper than the last guy. Has it worked out so far? I'll admit it's still early enough that I could be wrong but I haven't seen an improvement from de Gea.
I’m being deadly serious. Firstly Onana could be doing exactly what is expected of him, it won’t transform the way the remaining outfield players play, give the guy half a chance ffs. Every player on the pitch needs to be doing their job for Onana to have the impact his style of goalkeeping can provide.

Second of all De Gea was one of the best shot stoppers in the world, and it is debatable how many Onana has conceded this season you could say he would be ‘expected’ to save. You could argue other keepers might be able to save some but it’s subjective, you will never know.

What he hasn’t done is made any obvious errors which is far more than we can say for De Gea last season in the same amount of opening games.

crossy1686

career ending
Those of you saying De Zerbi is flavour of the month should know that City are tapping him up to replace Pep when he steps down. So he’s obviously shite…

Telsim

Nothing will change if he is gone. Next one will fail as well.

I suspect that he will be gone if he doesn't make top 5, though.

Redstain

He thinks he's still in Holland.

He's made so many shite decisions and the upsetting thing is he seems to have learned nothing from his first season. Pep and Klopp made massive improvements in their second season while ETH has arguably made even worse decisions this season.

If he doesn't last the season, it will be because of terrible decisions he's made in terms of player recruitment and squad building. It's a terribly unbalanced squad and one he had a huge impact in putting together.

De Zerbi bossing him in the manner that he did today looks incredibly poor on him.
All defeats have come as a result of tactical inadequacies. This is something fans cannot rummage to revolve around the Glazers. This team is playing how the manager wants and the interview comments confirm that.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Our seasons over already mate. Top 4 is a struggle now.
Title challenge will be a struggle, but top four is always competitive. After reviewing the first few games, I expect Manchester city, arsenals, and Liverpool to be guaranteed top 3 positions. Then spurs, chelsea, brighton, newcastle and us will challenge for the 2 remaining champion league place. I can see spurs slipping up (they manage to get a win at last min today against Sheffield and they have that spurs bottle dna). In addition Brighton and Newcastle as well with European football. We have a better squad depth to compete at both competition, so I can see us sneaking into a champion league positions as the season progress.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I like him and want him to stay but at some point we might need to question if we need to be more ruthless as the worst thing will be mediocre expectations filtering all the way down to the players (we've seen that happen before).

Alternatively, we could trust him and bin half the squad – which sounds like a nice idea in theory.

manichester

If it was his choice to bring in Mount when we obviously needed cover for Casemiro and needed a quality centre back to cover for Varane then he should go. Our football is awful poor passing and either lazy or unfit players,

RedDevilQuebecois

I really want to back Erik ten Hag, but I swear he is making it very difficult for me to do so.

Let's talk about a few things here. How can the midfield be such a gaping hole? We knew that a strong midfield was necessary and yet Bruno was shoved elsewhere but in the number 10 spot. McTominay is not a midfielder capable of fitting our needs, not in this life nor in the next. Casemiro and Eriksen were eaten alive as the deeper midfield pair against Arsenal. How could you not see any of that?

BUT the biggest thing that irked me is the treatment of Garnacho and Pellistri. While I can understand why Hojlund had to be pulled out, we needed energy from the 2 kids. Hannibal brought that energy even though he is still a work in progress. The moral of the story is this though: when your senior players do not deliver, better start relying on kids because those will be the ones willing to run through a wall for you until the very end.

Sort yourself out and stop with your silly conservatism, Erik.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If it was his choice to bring in Mount when we obviously needed cover for Casemiro and needed a quality centre back to cover for Varane then he should go. Our football is awful poor passing and either lazy or unfit players,
Maybe the people who are letting him do this should go. When you don't have a DOF this is what happens.

Giggsy13

Title challenge might be a struggle, but top four is always competitive. After reviewing the first few games, I expect Manchester city, arsenals, and Liverpool to be guaranteed top 3 positions. Then spurs, chelsea, brighton, newcastle and us will challenge for the 2 remaining champion league place. I can see spurs slipping up (they manage to get a win at last min today against Sheffield). In addition Brighton and Newcastle as well with European football. We have a better squad depth to compete at both competition, so I can see us sneaking into a champion league positions as the season progress.
Might!? I admire your optimism, but the title is long gone. This team is not up for a top 4 place let alone a title challenge.

Ricardo de la Vega

So the fans who wants to keep him.. answer me, are brighton players are better than what ETH has in his disposal? Time and time again? Where will you draw the line?
Yes they are better man for man. They're also stable and well operated from back to front. The opposite of us. You could put de zerbi here and it'd be a mess and he'd be sacked in two years too. When will you learn? When will you draw the line and realise that there is something more serious wrong at this club??

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So the fans who wants to keep him.. answer me, are brighton players are better than what ETH has in his disposal? Time and time again? Where will you draw the line?
There's no drawing of lines involved here. We're 5 games in to a 38 fixture league calendar. ETH has had a calamatous start, but he did last year as well and we wound up in 3rd and in the CL. Better to get behind the manager than be prepared to jump ship after each goal conceded. We should have a clearer picture of where things are actually headed once Hojlund has more game time, Mount and Mainoo return, and the likes of Armrabat and Regulon have a bit of time to settle in.

DarkXaero

What's fair is fair, and he deserves criticism right now for our performance level, even if there is bad luck and other factors affecting our level. He needs to do a lot better than this, it has been a disastrous start to the season on results alone.

redNATION

Those of you saying De Zerbi is flavour of the month should know that City are tapping him up to replace Pep when he steps down. So he’s obviously shite…
But he could be crap at City. Remember City have only really had one great manager and never had to deal with a replacement, a bit like us with Fergie. They are better run than us, but even the likes of Real and Bayern make bad manager appointments.

redshaw

The system early on requires too much energy to keep up. We blitzed Sevilla 2-0 last season early but then had nothing left, no passing or control to stop them getting back and it finished 2-2. How many times have we come out and conceded early in second half and look like a 25-45 mins team last year?

We look worse than last year worryingly.

reelworld

This. It's the clearest sign yet of being clueless. You played one way last year and had decent success with it. Then all of a sudden in the summer, you say you want to play a totally different way and go as far as spending £55m on a player because apparently you wanted to play in said shape. Then you proceed to play in 3 different shapes in the first 5 games of the season. Where is the plan? Where is the consistency?
this.
I don't really understand his plan here.
We were so much better last season. That first half against Arsenal and Liverpool was great. We look like a proper footballing team that could still improve.
But then he went on about being a transitional team and played a completely different style. I really don't get it

Superunknown

The Martial for Højlund sub today is a tough thing to look beyond. Signing Weghorst last season is another one that just doesn't sit right, either.

He's making a lot of mistakes, but the entire squad need a kick up the arse. They're absolute wimps. They're not making his job any easier, on and off the pitch.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Might!? I admire your optimism, but the title is long gone. This team is not up for a top 4 place let alone a title challenge.
We got third last season without a natural goalscoring striker and we have improved the squad massively this season. I feel it is just knee jerk to say we will not challenge for top four. Once we get manioo, amarabat and even mount back in the squad, our midfield will look much stronger. And I changed 'might' to 'will'

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There's no disrespect, you can criticise managers. He hasn't got it all right has he, there's flaws in his management. Question is, where do you expect ETH to take the club, what do you think he will achieve?
To even insinuate he is comparable to Ole is disrespect.

I think Ten Hag wil achieve much more than his predesessors, which is making us relevant as a top team again.

Aretak

Nothing's going to change unless the Glazer parasites leave. Changing the manager again won't suddenly bring back the glory days. I do think Ten Hag has made some very poor decisions, especially regarding recruitment, but who could come in and do better that's a realistic option?

avgp_1

The system could work but we need FBs who can stretch play and midfielders who can cover spaces. We had neither today.

Amrabat, Mount, AwB could help us out but there is something much more than tactics thats the issue there. The team just panics when they go behind, its alarming how much more chaotic we are when we concede.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Tell me why he wouldnt fail.

This club can't sell players properly and has major issues with building a proper recruitment team. Our training facilities have fallen behind everyone else and we give bankers key jobs instead of proper candidates. United could easily buy in Brighton's coaching, recruitment and analysist teams if we wanted, but the people in charge are feckjing shit. Even Klopp saw what a mess we were and refused to be our manager.
Because he’s the best manager in the world capable of getting a lot out of players he already has. He’s in a different stratosphere compared to ETH.

That's not an excuse for today. There has been a ton of issues, yeah. He should be able to motivate the side, get a siege mentality, implement a functional system. Today was a system that gave Brighton the advantage. And he didn't adapt. It worked for 15 minutes, they adjusted and started picking holes all over the place, and if he couldn't see what was so painfully obvious for many of us to see, then that is HUGELY concerning.
How do you motivate a side with the likes of Mr Manchester who looks like he will storm off the pitch unless his defender lets him have a clean run at goal? Or a centre back who quite publicly held the club to ransom and refused to leave? Or a fullback who, despite the best intent in the world, can't actually pass the fecking ball.

We still have a lot of players who either can't or won't do what the manager wants, and the hierarchy at the club let's them get away with it.

Pscholes18

Yes......why? Because they listen, the play as a team, they do what their manager tells them to. This lot I'm not so sure. It goes way beyond ETH. Yeah he has to be questioned with some decisions but any manger would struggle with this lot and these cnuts running the club. I really think he/they should of kept Rag and put him in as DoF. I'm not buying Murtough.