Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 646 44.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 799 55.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

madzo2007

Most of the commentators and media are saying that Brighton are a well coached team.

For me this so damning in that we simply aren't well coached.

Ten Hag has zero excuses as he should be a better coach and be more tactically astute at this stage.

For me he has until the City game to put things right. If we muddle through and then get thrashed again at City we should seriously consider whether he is the right man.
They probably are a better coached team because they have been playing the same style for years no matter who the manager is. They have a brilliant set of scouts to pick up players to suit their system for a cheap price.

Brighton also plan well in advance as they know their big stars and manager will probably leave at some point and have players/managers in mind to continue their way of playing. We are only into Ten Hag's 2nd season of rebuild of a mess of a squad thats now decimated by injury.

AneRu

Absolutely Yes. But unfortunately, ETH needs results on the pitch to justify his disciplinary actions. Without results any disciplinary step he takes is considered as having lost the plot. Mourinho had the same problems with Pogba, Martial etc. which, in hindsight he was right about their attitudes, but without results he couldn't be trusted to fix the squad.
Which, if we are an institution that learns from its history, we will see how doubting multi-title winning manager has cost us eventually. Pogba and Martial ultimately became wage thieves and an experienced manager had figured them out way back in 2018.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They probably are a better coached team because they have been playing the same style for years no matter who the manager is. They have a brilliant set of scouts to pick up players to suit their system for a cheap price.

Brighton also plan well in advance as they know their big stars and manager will probably leave at some point and have players/managers in mind to continue their way of playing. We are only into Ten Hag's 2nd season of rebuild of a mess of a squad thats now decimated by injury.
Everyone using the word "rebuild" fundamentally doesn't understand how teams work and should get lost.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He does not handle negotiations or budgets. Thats who he asked for and by the way we spent 216m euros.
So you believe he wouldn't know how much was available to spend and what was realistic? Wages are key too. Kane would probably be on more than Onana, Mount and Hojlund combined.

I bet every other PL manager wanted Kane and Rice too by the same argument.

He'll have known the budget and this is how he chose to spend it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So you believe he wouldn't know how much was available to spend and what was realistic? Wages are key too. Kane would probably be on more than Onana, Mount and Hojlund combined.

Kanes wages are not far away from Mounts but keep pretending.

400k a week with bonuses vs 300k a week with bonuses.

red till I die 2023

Sacking Ten Hag is not the answer to our troubles. His record is proven in the Prem with a weak squad he got us Top 4 and won a cup. Now as soon as we lose a few the old tried and trusted rubbish gets spouted. It's the Glazers fault. It is not their fault either they have given us more funds for transfers than any other club on the last 10 years.

This is solely down to the recruitment and lack of DOF and strategy. I hate the Glazers and hope they leave but this is looking more unlikely by the minute. So we should focus our attention on what we can fix. Stop spending huge sums of money on unsuitable players with no plan.

This is NOT Ten Hags fault. If given the correct tools he will succeed as proven last season. He is trying to work in a blizzard of shitstorms and the fans are calling for his head. Great we get a new manager in, start again same shitstorms and shouting for the Glazers to quit. Rinse and Repeat.

Time to get our heads out of the sand. Sack the board and put competent people in charge that have a plan and give TH room to work.

We only need to look at Brighton to see how effective that can be with the right peoplel in charge.

Ten Hag must be given time as sacking him will change nothing. Murtough and Arnold should be shown the door immediately..Clowns the both of them.

skc_18

Can't criticize ETH much because club has become a sponge ball for every one including Fans, Players and the media.
Players does not seem to be in focus in their mind sets, fit for only half of the season. Media always ready to catch on any failure. And Fans impatient.
Eth himself did not do any favors by making news with Sancho especially after knowing Sancho is a spoiled kid and there is already lot of non-sense going on with the club.

Should be rightfully criticized for signing Antony and Mount but dont think he deserves any other criticism.

Devil81

Every year the gap to City grows. Our main summer signings would be squad players at best for them.
You could argue they wouldn't even be squad players as they already have those positions covered by equally good players on their bench.

Such a sorry state of affairs.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Kanes wages are not far away from Mounts but keep pretending.

400k a week with bonuses vs 300k a week with bonuses.
What contract he might be on Bayern and what crazy contract we'd have given him (if we could afford him) aren't the same.

Cassidy

What contract he might be on Bayern and what crazy contract we'd have given him (if we could afford him) aren't the same.
What he would be willing to accept remains the same.

iamking

Which, if we are an institution that learns from its history, we will see how doubting multi-title winning manager has cost us eventually. Pogba and Martial ultimately became wage thieves and an experienced manager had figured them out way back in 2018.
The problem is results. Even if the managers are right, if the results are poor, means the way they are handling it (or able to handle it) is found wanting. What I mean is, Mourinho might have been right about these players, but his solution was not necessarily right or his sacking was justified because of the results on the pitch. Same will be with ETH. Match Day results are the only way a manager will be judged.

Amir

He'll have known the budget and this is how he chose to spend it.
There were days when Fergie used to be involved in negotiations himself. Nowaways, I'm not even sure how much managers know about what goes on in the market in terms of transfer fees, etc. When you're at United you should ask for the best. You may not get it, and being told "Look, this player will cost a hundred million which we can't afford" is perfectly reasonable, but I also think it's reasonable for the manager to try and see if it is possible.

parmenio

So the recruitment team don’t think Amrabat is a good fit for the team but they do think Mount was what’s needed and he was our first priority buy of the summer. I do think Mount is a decent player btw but fail to see how’s he’s a fit? Our recruitment has been appalling for years so I’d be inclined to bin them as opposed to the manager plus we can’t keep doing this cycle of sack and restart.

Cassidy

You're probably right. But he'd have been dropped from a serious team a long time ago.
I doubt any serious manager managing this United squad would contemplate dropping Rashford

If you had the squad City or Arsenal have then its a different story

We are talking about a manager who has dropped Ronaldo, Sancho and Maguire. He is not afraid to drop big names. He just does not agree with your assessment of the player.

Also he would have a lot more insight into what he is asking the player to do and whether or not he is following instructions

Oscar Bonavena

I doubt any serious manager managing this United squad would contemplate dropping Rashford

If you had the squad City or Arsenal have then its a different story
Ok, if not drop him then at least sub him off for Garnacho with 30 mins to go in a game. Might give him a kick up the arse if nothing else and show him he's not too big to sit on the bench for a while.

"Standards"

astracrazy

I thought we had an in-house team that handled negotiations, led by that Hargreaves guy who came from Adidas?

Also what's with all these leaks / briefs all of a sudden?!
We do, and I don't see how EtH would have any control over what agents we use.

Typical british media sharpening their knives like they did with LvG and Jose.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I thought we had an in-house team that handled negotiations, led by that Hargreaves guy who came from Adidas?

Also what's with all these leaks / briefs all of a sudden?!
The Sun also has a story of dressing room fighting after Brighton:

SunSport can reveal captain Bruno Fernandes confronted fellow midfielder Scott McTominay after United’s third defeat in four games.

While centre-back pairing Lisandro Martinez and Victor Lindelof also lost it with each other following a calamitous defensive display.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The Sun also has a story of dressing room fighting after Brighton:
To be fair, from what I've heard this is pretty normal. They just seem to be hyping it up as a news story because "United in crisis" sells papers.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Jeez - the knives are being sharpened in the press I see. Really important the fan base sticks behind him. He's top.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Looks like it's starting:

This is after the game at the weekend on his Sky Podcast that he does post match, he mentions Maguire, Sancho and Antony at being outcasts at the moment and how popular are they, would their situation’s be causing issues and cracks within the team based on how they may or may not be popular within the dressing room. If you watch it, it’s really a nothing comment and a throw away line of him spitballing at why the team are having issues.

RuudTom83

Everyone at the club hides behind closed doors…it’s much easier to leak a few quotes out instead of actually doing their jobs.

The manger of Manchester United is expected to be some all conquering multi department one man team.

The club is a joke.

TsuWave

Seems like more leaks now - need a good performance and result to turn the tide

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

So staff already leaking things to undermine ETH. The knives are out and all the incompetents are looking to save their skin, players and staff alike.

Paul Parker harps on about ETH should walk to keep his reputation in tact. It's not that outlandish to me now. Main issue would be the players he's convinced to join being left behind with these incompetents.

I'd absolutely love to know who has leaked this "staff have expressed a concern".

He's on a hiding to nothing at this poisoned club.

lsd

The Oracle

So staff already leaking things to undermine ETH. The knives are out and all the incompetents are looking to save their skin, players and staff alike.

Paul Parker harps on about ETH should walk to keep his reputation in tact. It's not that outlandish to me now. Main issue would be the players he's convinced to join being left behind with these incompetents.

I'd absolutely love to know who has leaked this "staff have expressed a concern".

He's on a hiding to nothing at this poisoned club.

Ten Hag's son works there to which doesn't sound great when you consider the signings he has made.

Why on earth do we allow managers to have sole say on transfers?