Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 573 54.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 482 45.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Hilton

Now find me a post where I'm suggesting De Zerbi has his replacement.

Also, Ten Hag was hired as the in vogue hipster manager - and nothing about United with him is progressive.
Your post was literally in response to a poster asking what made De Zerbi qualified for the job, and was in support as he has Brighton "playing good football".

Ten Hag had turned a recently unsuccessful Ajax into a domestically dominant team and did quite well in Europe too, a far superior CV, and a good fit for what we needed.

Anyway if DZ isn't your choice for a replacement, then who is? So far I haven't read a single opinion on the side of sacking EtH that isn't shallower than a dog bowl, but if you have a sensible suggestion that's well qualified and has accomplishments that suggest they'd be a success here then I'd love to hear it.

city-puma

I also don't buy into "club so toxic, no one would succeed" rhetoric.

After £400 spent, surely that can't be the core bullet point in favour of the manager
You only need to see how many players we got from 400 mil spending. With right people and structure, the amount should get us 80% more players if not 100% more. A massive amount wasted with so-called “Manutd” tax which is mainly produced by ourselves.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why isn’t it working out? Is it just our shit luck that every manager we’ve hired was the wrong guy and they all fail and go the same way within 2 or 3 seasons or is there more to it than that? Maybe the entire setup around them is rotten and they’re destined to fail regardless of who it is.
Little bit of both to be honest. Even at the best run clubs, it's rare for a manager to have a longer tenure than 2-3 years.

I do agree that the overhaul of the structure is the biggest priority though.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
No more so than the constant sack, bounce, hope, despair cycle we are going through constantly though, in fairness. The leeches have turned us all into junkies.
The vast majority of teams replace managers on a near constant basis, get used to it. The Glazers have their share of blame, but they are not the clutch to absolve ETH.

Romez

I don't care what anyone says, despite the dreadful start to the season we still look several leagues ahead of Ole's teams in terms of functionality/cohesion. I think the signings are questionable (Mount/Antony - albeit they would look better at reasonable prices) but I think there is promise. It's just a toxic environment so there's a good chance the whole thing derails before we really get to see it.
Totally disagree.

We at least beat top teams and convincingly battered teams under Ole multiple times.

Under Ten Hag so far we consistently lose against top teams and I'd even argue the majority of our wins under him have been unconvincing.

How many games can you say we've played really well, deservedly won and put 4/5 goals past a team under Ten Hag?

luke511

How long have you guys watched football? Some players just take time to settle in and adjust to a new team. Making a judgment after what 2/3 months is incredibly short-sighted.
Bollocks. Mount is a square peg in a round hole when we needed a centre midfielder with world class potential to try catch the likes of city, a good chunk of the budget was spent on Antony when we already had 3 right wingers instead of a centre forward, thus leading to Weghorst who was a complete disaster after failing miserably at Burnley, question marks loom over Hojlund's price tag (I like his speed, I don't like his lack of balance and isn't a proven goalscorer). They're not all conclusively bad signings but going off what we've currently seen they can't be called good transfers either as originally claimed. It's a combination of bad business coming from Murtough and Ten Hag, both covering 50% of the voting power for transfers, I don't think Ten Hag should have anywhere near as much power as that to start off with but it is what it is. We aren't any closer to the top of the table since his appointment and we've spent over £400 million, someone, or the pair of them, have to be held accountable.

LawmanMan

If we want to turn into a Brighton-esque side then bringing in Potter would be an idea. He would be a cheap option as well, which would thrill the owners.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
As long as he doesn't put us in danger of relegation, I'd rather we wait with replacing him until after the Glazers sell the club. I'd rather not waste a(nother) talented manager on this current shitpile of a club.
ETH hasn't shown talent whilst he's been here, last season was clearly luck and a fluke.

marktan

Without a doubt you are right the ownership situation isn’t ideal but he’s been given players, in fact most of them are connected to him in one way or another so it’s hard to blame Joel Glazer when he’s given ETH the players he wants

Theres not another manager on the planet who would have spent 90m on Antony
That's part of the problem though - very few big clubs let their manager sign whoever they want anymore. It's outdated and that's on the Glazers and the upper management

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Before we get all hasty on the sacking Trend let’s just remember how Arteta time at Arsenal started and where they are now. Also we can’t forget ETH debut season.
It all boils down to that 3 month purple patch rashford had. We have been shite since.

Aint gota Kalou

I still have faith. I can understand wanting to play Rashford into form since he was a one man attack for us at times last year. He's had his chance now though so Garnacho or another should play. Pellistri shouldn't start another game either

Joel Miller

I think he’s just about done here. I could get behind him if there were at least signs of this getting better. But there aren’t any.

podurban2

Relax it’s only been a few games…

That’s what they were saying two games ago, shitting on those expressing criticism, where are they now? :rolleyes:

lsd

The Oracle
Before we get all hasty on the sacking Trend let’s just remember how Arteta time at Arsenal started and where they are now. Also we can’t forget ETH debut season.

I never understand these posts. Some other manager at a different team is doing better therefore we must keep the manager we have

InfiniteBoredom

Apparently it's kneejerk to question the manager
It is.

That total is marred by the truly atrocious run of form we are on. If you exclude this season then that would be 26pts/14 games, which is the usual top 4 pace, our ceiling.

It’s disingenuous to make out as if we’ve been bad for the whole year, or post the LC final. We’ve had issues but we finished last season well enough in the league with lots of personnel/injury issues and lost a closely contested final against a team that went on to win a treble.

Questions need to be asked about recruitment, and I think his idea of the team’s evolution is quite dodgy with the over reliance on Rashford as the star attacker, however, there are mitigating circumstances from the club’s sale process, the off the pitch situation with Greenwood/Antony, the rotten preseason preparation where we clocked more than 35000 kms over a couple of weeks across continents, and the quite frankly unprecedented injury crisis we are having.

Jackal

I don't care what anyone says, despite the dreadful start to the season we still look several leagues ahead of Ole's teams in terms of functionality/cohesion. I think the signings are questionable (Mount/Antony - albeit they would look better at reasonable prices) but I think there is promise. It's just a toxic environment so there's a good chance the whole thing derails before we really get to see it.
If Ole had Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, etc, he would have achieved more than Ten Hag last season.

Ten Hag has spent £400m and he’s playing worse football than Ole did. You need to be honest and cut out the excuses.

Man Utd are painful to watch and the recruitment/decision making last summer has been horrendous.

Superunknown

There does have to come a point when push comes to shove. I think we're all going to disagree when that point is. Is it when top 4 is mathematically impossible? Is it if we lose another few home games in a row? Is it if we're lower-mid table by Christmas?

The thought of having to 'start again' with another manager is soul destroying. Yet, so is our football. We're dire right now and it needs to change. I don't think ETH has it in him to change it. There's been no real progression in our football and the performances continue to be poor.

Micky Targaryen

Off the top of my head, when you see the likes of Vicario, van de Ven, Szobozlai etc having good debuts in the league, I just can’t help but wonder if our scouting team ever heard or recommended these players. Or do they just let ETH choose his darlings?

We can choose to continue blaming the Glazers but we still had a budget to work with each season and we choose to spunk it on questionable players.

Ash_G

I don't think we can sack him as we've invested so much in players he wanted and you have to hope this is a wobble. Clearly there will come a tipping point at some point but I don't think we're there yet.

I do hope he's got some good, honest advisors around him though and he's willing to listen, as something has to change. Playing with inverted fullbacks doesn't seem to really help us as we give the ball away to easily and still seem to be prone to the counter and I think it negatively impacts our attack as I think we're reliant on the overlapping run to create space. Further despite what he says I think he does have some player preferences and not sure it's quite working out with some questions around our 3 big players Bruno, Rashford and Casemiro. We're seeing a lot of issues which many fans commented about at the start of the season and it's hard to see how he's planning to address that at the moment.

OrcaFat

He is a genius, a miracle worker, the best manager we have had in post-SAF era, no one would have done better with this team.

Caf told me that.
I’ve read a lot of posts on here and literally never saw an opinion similar to that.

lsd

The Oracle
It is.

That total is marred by the truly atrocious run of form we are on. If you exclude this season then that would be 26pts/14 games, which is the usual top 4 pace, our ceiling.

It’s disingenuous to make out as if we’ve been bad for the whole year, or post the LC final. We’ve had issues but we finished last season well enough in the league with lots of personnel/injury issues and lost a closely contested final against a team that went on to win a treble.

Questions need to be asked about recruitment, and I think his idea of the team’s evolution is quite dodgy with the over reliance on Rashford as the star attacker, however, there are mitigating circumstances from the club’s sale process, the off the pitch situation with Greenwood/Antony, the rotten preseason preparation where we clocked more than 35000 kms over a couple of weeks across continents, and the quite frankly unprecedented injury crisis we are having.

Yeah if you exclude how we are doing this season then we are doing great?

rajds89

The signings he’s made have been good. We’re just having massive problems with injuries and things out of the managers control.
Have they though?

Season One:
Antony- some alright moment, mostly poor. Chased all summer and over spent by £20/30m.
Martinez- I’ll give you this one, good signing.
Casemiro- world class before he arrived, now on the decline.
Malacia- started okay, can’t remember to many standout moments though.
Eriksen- some good moments, many more bad.
Sabizter (loan)- come and went without doing anything.
Dubravka (loan)- waste of time
Butland (loan)- waste of time
Weghourst (loan)- worst player to ever wear the shirt.

Season Two:
Onana- he can pass, his ability to keep the ball out of net is questionable. Is he really much of an improvement on Dave?
Mount- causes more of a headache in terms of team selection and has yet justified his fee.
Højlund- might turn out to be a good signing but as of yet, jury is out.
Bayindir- who knows, pointless signing and for more money than we sold Kovar.
Evans- nostalgia signing.
Amrabat (loan)- again, might turn out decent but as of yet hasn’t set the world alight.
Reguilon (loan) has been possibly the best summer signing despite being on loan, 30th choice left back and seemingly forgotten about by Tottenham.

In summary, there’s more bad than good when it comes to ETH signings and given the vast amount of money he’s spent, that’s really disappointing.

The Hilton

No we won't because the next manager won't be able to spend £400m on his old mates from the Ukrainian league so he'll have to focus on the players we currently have instead.
And when he fails to get a squad, that's been built over years to be best suited to mid block counter attacking football, playing progressive football, then we can sack him and get another in and live out the same cycle over and over.

Sounds wonderful.

city-puma

I am not fancy the idea to sack ETH. Just like to know if Arteta had similar string of results like this, 4 losses out of 7 in league? Just wondering because I didn’t follow their results.

Ralph1386

The same scouting work that found Hannibal, Garnacho, Bruno Fernandes, Pellistri and identified a number of players we didn't sign because we want with the managers choice anyway, that scouting network?
This is a very head-in-the-sand view about the club and its infrastructure.

GMoore23

If he is to be sacked, I want no De Zerbi's or ten Hags. Trending managers.

I only want a proven manager who has won 1 of the big 3 leagues or a manager who has won the likes of the French/German league with an underdog team.

Galtier comes to mind.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Take him out the team and I guarantee we see improvement in team performances and especially down the left side.
I cant see that happening because "My Rashy shall always play" is actually a thing.

Lee565

How can anyone make an excuse for boring football at home against Crystal palace, I'm already apathetic to this season

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
11 - Won
2 - Draw
8 - Lost
7 - Games we've not scored in

24 Goals Scored
26 Goals Conceded

LostLiverpool70United
DrewUnited00Southampton
LostNewcastle20United
WonUnited10Brentford
WonUnited20Everton
WonForest02United
DrewTottenham22United
WonUnited10Villa
LostBrighton10United
LostWest Ham10United
WonUnited20Wolves
WonBournemouth01United
WonUnited41Chelsea
WonUnited21Fulham
WonUnited10Wolves
LostTottenham20United
WonUnited32Forest
LostArsenal31United
LostUnited13Brighton
WonBurnley01United
LostUnited01Crystal Palace

Our losses now starting to appear a bit more often at home too. It's been a long drawn out process of bad form. Which dates after the cup win.

Shark

@NotShark
That's part of the problem though - very few big clubs let their manager sign whoever they want anymore. It's outdated and that's on the Glazers and the upper management
The other problem is his signings aren't even the height of the issues. Rashford is supposed to be our star and highest payed attacker and he's been absolutely shocking since the season started. Not to single him out there's been many more too, but it's not the first time he's gone to shite after seemingly showing progress.