Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 460 49.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 470 50.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Skills

Snitch
Whatever about ETH, who is clearly a dead man walking, the squad is fecking terrible. Compare it to other top squads (which is fair given what we've spent) and it's laughable. ETH has bought over priced dross or past it players to add to the collection amassed by Jose and Ole (even an LvG one too, in Martial).
It's worse than the squad he inherited, with no room in the FFP budget to do anything.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This squad finished 3 last season. Casemiro has fallen off a cliff and Varane’s legs are gone, sure, but the rest is still the same squad. With a new manager bounce the season is salvageable.

By salvageable I mean avoiding relegation of course. Something that looks like a real possibility at the moment.
That's two players that held it together for us last season, same with Eriksen. Their fall off was predictable, and now they need replacing. Casemiro was a stupid signing.

Not sure what about the season is salvageable. Our best hope is probably to fall into the Europa and go all out for that.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
You want to keep the man who blew 400m and get rid of the players he brought? :houllier:
None of us know if he got his first choice players. The financial situation here is dire so I'd be surprised if he really wanted two loan players and Missing Mount.

Robbie Boy

It's worse than the squad he inherited, with no room in the FFP budget to do anything.
It's terrible, yeah. But we somehow slowly amassed this shit-show of a squad over 7 or 8 years, spending feck knows how much on it.

hobbers

None of us know if he got his first choice players. The financial situation here is dire so I'd be surprised if he really wanted two loan players and Missing Mount.
You think he didnt want £60m first signing of the summer Mount?! :lol:

Please

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I feel somewhat inclined to agree with your point. The problem is, ETH signed a fair chunk of these players.

The old guard need sacking off ASAP, Martial, Rashford etc. Things will always be like this while the stroppy ones remain with little to no fight in them.
Sure, but as I said in another post. The financial situation here is dire. I bet he got Hoiljund and then had to piece everything else together with whatever was left. This summer I'm not liking Mount but I see the potential of Onana and Hoiljund.

Skills

Snitch
It's terrible, yeah. But we somehow slowly amassed this shit-show of a squad over 7 or 8 years, spending feck knows how much on it.
It's funny actually, the best squad we've had was the one Mourinho left behind. And that was hardly value for money for what we got.

Blood Mage

Genuinely think we had more about us under Ole. It's just completely fallen apart for ETH this season and he might be heading for an emergency sacking.

TsuWave

There's not a single manager in history that gets all his first choices. A manager has to, you know, manage

BorisManUtd

He'll probably be sacked by Christmas but it's sad that I don't expect things to be better when another manager arrives. It's a never ending cycle.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Erik has done himself in this season.

Spent the money he had poorly. Gameplan (or lack of) questionable each week. Any side he picks can’t string 2 passes together. Players played out of position. Creativity undone by slow zombie passing.

shame he had to do it all on his own though. The disconnect from above, letting a manager have to make all the calls and shots then overpay for the players (often Transfer plan C) is shocking.

I think it’s clear Erik has lost the dressing room and it’s only a matter of time. But it will be the same old shit with the next gaffer. Same disconnect from above mixed with the same player power.

MadMike

Whatever about ETH, who is clearly a dead man walking, the squad is fecking terrible. Compare it to other top squads (which is fair given what we've spent) and it's laughable. ETH has bought over priced dross or past it players to add to the collection amassed by Jose and Ole (even an LvG one too, in Martial).
I’m not comparing it to other top squads. I’m comparing it to the teams fighting to avoid relegation.

If ETH stays on we’ll get relegated. The last time we started with 8 defeats in 15 games was 1973 and we went down.

This team is still too good to get relegated. Sack Erik and quickly move on.

Robbie Boy

It's funny actually, the best squad we've had was the one Mourinho left behind. And that was hardly value for money for what we got.
The more we spend, the worse we get; we never managed to match Jose's points tally despite spending how much since we binned him off.

I'm serious when I say this: It's genuinely impressive that we've fecked up player and managerial recruitment this badly for a whole decade. That takes serious commitment.

Redstain

That's absolute nonsense respectively 8 of the 16 players signed have history in the Eredivise. There's valid reports that the club wanted nothing to do with Antony. By the same merit Kolo-Muani was the recruitments choice over Hojlund which signifies that it's the managers signings. Mount said Erik had a conversation with him before moving. Amrabat and Eriksen have played under the manager. There was also reports in the first window that Erik dismissed the scouting infrastructure in favour of his selection. It's almost like many here will make up a new narrative to pacify the managers poor performance.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What annoys me to be fair is that we stopped creating for too long.
Even my patience is wearing thin on the lack of attacking prowess.

Robbie Boy

I’m not comparing it to other top squads. I’m comparing it to the teams fighting to avoid relegation.

If ETH stays on we’ll get relegated. The last time we started with 8 defeats in 15 games was 1973 and we went down.

This team is still too good to get relegated. Sack Erik and quickly move on.
Well it should be compared to other top squads, and in that sense, it's a fecking abomination.

Eddy_JukeZ

Is this still a bad patch?
Last 37 games in all comps. GD of -1.

If anyone thinks a manager with results like that can become a Premier League title winning manager 1 day, they should go buy tickets to the moon.

DavidDeSchmikes

defensive injuries have been a nuisance, but frankly it doesn't excuse the lack of attacking threat, creativity, passion, desire, effort, cohesion etc

Honestly tonight was a performance that gets a manager sacked or eventually sacked over the next week

Rustyspider13

I really thought EtH was the one. His first season reinforced my view. I still think he is a good coach (Rashford, AWB improved greatly under him last season) but he has a no idea what to do in the transfer market. It reminds me of him sticking up for Ovrermars after the latter's scandal came out. EtH knew how instrumental Overmars was in building the Ajax side. EtH needs a strong guiding hand in the market in the form of a DoF with a coherent vision. Unfortunately we are a relic of the past who just give managers all the power and ask him to do the job of head coach and head scout. It's been that way since SAF, but there is only one SAF. And as a result here we are.

All of the above can and should be majorly attributed to the Glazers. But EtH's biggest failing in my view is abandoning what worked last season and going with a suicidal 4-3-3 with an aging DM as the anchor. It all starts from there. And he isn't changing it either. If he admitted he was wrong after the first few games, the players' confidence wouldn't hit the rock bottom it has now. Now the players have done what they always do and have given up. He'll probably get sacked and I won't be against it. But first and foremost the upper management needs to change for there to be any hope.

bitcoin

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.”

Took me a while to get there but I’m edging towards the ETH out camp now. It’s going to be nigh on impossible for him to turn sentiment around.

Last edited:

Smithy89

No positive man-management skills, no charisma, no tactics, no personality. Arnold and them geezers are mad, how high were they when he was interviewed?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

If anyone thinks a manager with results like that can become a Premier League title winning manager 1 day, they should go buy tickets to the moon.
Exactly. Pretty sure it’s almost even when it comes to wins and defeats too

SirScholes

This is my view too. He’s so fecking boring that it’s very easy to pick things apart because he says nothing that makes you think yeah, he’s on to something here
No one would care what he sounds like if he was able to coach

spiriticon

I hope we end up fighting relegation. It would at least bring some excitement to the games. And if we actually do get relegated, there is a high chance the Glazers will sell.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We cannot judge him until he gets 3 more years, £800m to rebuild the squad and gets all of De Jong, Kane, Mbappe and Rice.

Skills

Snitch

Sounds like a great business idea - there's plenty of mugs on here. Sorry I meant customers.