Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 621 50.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 601 49.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

JediSith

I’m still ETH in. But he’s not making it easy for himself. Spent a ton. Also we have manager’s at other clubs, most you can say they joined well run clubs. But Spurs? They have a tighter owner than us, they go from contrasting manager’s. There really isn’t an excuse to not have style of play and only be let down by the players who are not good enough for it. Then you know who to replace and who to sign.

redshaw

Case and McTom have been our main goal threats after Rashford, and we've have had many thrashings since Feb, I'd say -1 after last 37 sounds about right.

Many were concerned last season to be fair, we didn't get much from our other attacking players. Instead of adding we've now lost Rashford and are on course for a very low scoring season, lower than LVG's second.

As good as last season was, it was very flawed and waiting to be laid bare unless we had massive improvements on outputs of the rest, the fundamentals of scoring are just not there from the front line.

Last edited:

fallengt

Sure. Rangnick is so amazing he can only get a job as the coach of Austria. Such fools not to make him chairman of the board.
He helped create red bull football group mate. Not beyond doubt he know a thing or two about transfer, surely More than ex bankers and ex Everton accountant

RikRuud

I'm pretty sure I remember ten hag confirming that last year he wanted to play with 2 number 8's but he had to quickly abandon that idea due to personal available/not acquired in the transfer window. This year it seems he's not willing to change this regardless of the personal he has available. He will need to adapt or he will be sacked. He's not got the team he envisioned, of that we can be pretty sure about but I feel the unwillingness to adapt will be his downfall this time around.

sparx99

The standard of football that is being served up by Ten Hag right now is downright hideous and unacceptable. We can't delude ourselves; we scraped a few wins this season basically out of dumb luck, and they were against sides who are almost equally hapless. Probably the best performance of the season was a game we lost against Arsenal and played poorly in at times.

I know that sacking him puts huge pressure on an incoming manager, but it would be abundantly clear to anyone with an ounce of common sense what he's doing wrong, week in, week out, which is that he is selecting sides with no natural width and playing players (including key players) out of position.

If you have a centre forward like Hojlund, you need width. But he plays these incredibly narrow set ups with Bruno on the fecking right when it's obvious he offers nothing defensively and provides zero width. Then he selects Lindelof, who's playing poorly, out of position, when he could play Reguilon that he signed to provide some width.

There's like a catalogue of errors in every single teamsheet that he spews out, and he doesn't even correct his own mistakes.

I know that Potter messed up royally at Chelsea, but I don't see any other option out there. It's desperate as hell but worth a punt, imo. Brighton played some great football under him.
Where are you going to get width from though? We have spent most of the season without any left backs available and usually only one right back. All of our wingers prefer to play inverted except Pellistri. When Rashford plays on the right people flip out yet he provided that brilliant assist for Hojlund in the CL.

Right now I'd be inclined to play AWB now he's fit with no license to get forward tucking in to a back 3 in possesion and then have Reguilon holding the width on the left allowing Garnacho to play narrow. Then have Pellistri or Rashford wide right getting crosses in. I think Rashford with a simple remit to beat his full back and put a cross in could get back to form without worrying about scoring quite as much.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
At the moment It's a carbon copy of this stage in the season under Jose 2018/19 with 17 points in the league after 10 games, out of the league cup at home to Derby. In Europe 1 win from 3 games.

Also a carbon copy at this stage in the season under Ole 2021/22 with 17 points in the league after 10 games, out of the league cup at home to West Ham. In Europe 2 wins from 3 and those two wins was late winners.
The constant there is the players stopping running for the manager. Playing slow, without aggression, pulling out of their 50-50s not pressing and leaving their man to someone else. This is the players on strike again, make no mistake about it. The club is in crisis yet again because the players are soft shites who collectively can’t rise to the challenge of being ultra professional and competitive for longer than a few months without throwing their toys out of the pram.

I feel for the manager as I felt for Ole. Ronaldo arriving (and the EL final) killed him and I’d say he would have wanted Haaland a 100 times at any point over ever getting Ronaldo back. We tried to cheap out on the fee but for really high wages yet again and end up spending so much bad after bad money to try and finally fix the position. Ronaldo plus Rasmus money and wages would have got us kane or haaland at any point in the last 3 years. Think of all the money and momentum we’ve lost signing stopgaps and using poor or short term players post Fergie? It’s just horrible and it’s left us with nothing. No wonder the players are sick of it all but the least they can do is be professional and try their hardest even if the manager is too strict or picks his favourites. If they do that they are good enough to get top 4 but not much else by the looks of it. Demoralised all round. I expect the sack any day now. They are playing to get him sacked clear as day

Lost bear

I do think Ten Hag will go on and be successful elsewhere, but I think we're too fecked. Not that he's blameless, he's made some truly baffling and weird decisions, he's not the best thing since sliced bread, but things haven't gone well for him, and I don't think he's turning this big old mess of a ship round.
I think you’re probably right. I’ve lost much of my faith in ETH this season, after a really good start in the last. I don’t think he’s a bad manager, but I think it’s clearly beyond him here. I must say, though, I’m beginning to believe it’s beyond anyone to fix the gargantuan mess that is UTD on 2023/4.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Sure. Rangnick is so amazing he can only get a job as the coach of Austria. Such fools not to make him chairman of the board.
Ralf would have got us 2 really good dynamic modern midfielders and pressing forwards for the Casemiro and Antony money. It would have been an improvement I think we can say in hindsight even if the way he managed the team was horrible. To be fair they all knew he didn’t rate them and it turns out he was right not to. I’m sick of believing in any of these players. They aren’t good or ambitious enough

ti vu

I just don't understand why it's at the opposite end of the scale though. Fair enough he cant get that Ajax tactic going here but we generally play some of the worst football in the league, Rashford nicked so many games for us last season it's always a 90 minute slog and the goal difference backs that up even when finishing third.
Because our style of play is quite very different to Ajax blueprint and this goes back to SAF latter years, where we're happy to concede possession, soak up pressure and hit teams on counter, than trying to dominate possession, outside of 2 season with LVG. And ETH struggled to get the best of the class when it comes to the Ajax preferred profile players. Antony is not world class. Malacia is squad level. Eriksen is decent but he's not even among the best at his peak. Not so much right now at his age when transition to a deeper role. Lisandro is good but with weaknesses. Hojlund is young and may need time to become prolificent first before being considered top CF. Amrabat is no way top class or he would have been picked long time ago at the potential fee Fiorentina asked. Onana maybe one of the best with with his feet, but overall he's way down the list of top GK. Mount is unexplainable signing... And the squad ETH inherited is most United way squad Ole built.

No long term strategy and underwhelming short term transfer doesn't help this team moving onto the right path at all.

It’s why we are where we are…

I like Lisandro Martinez. But they had identified Pau Torres. I’m sure there are reasons for that and we have now signed a bunch of players who I’m sure if we read the scouting reports the problems we can say are all over the report.

I have no issues with giving the manager power but have abit of common sense and an idea of what the short and long term goal looks like. It’s not hard!!!!!
Pau Torres aerial ability is questionable too. There is a reason no other top clubs went in for him especially after the World Cup. Emery knows him well since he coached him at Villareal, so he kinda covers for his weaknesses. He's not the kind of savior/transformative signing

If we expect good scouting, we could have gotten Kim Min Jae before he moved from Turkish league to Napoli. Or Hojlund before he moved to Atalanta, Enzo before he moved to Benfica and soon joined Chelsea (Rangnick recommended him?!)... Not another known quality with weakness that also eats a good chunk of our budget.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Theoretically, how many of these does he have to lose for us to make a switch?

Burnley A
Crystal Palace H
Crystal Palace H
Galatasaray H
Brentford H
Sheff Utd A
Copenhagen H
Manchester City H

That’s a great run to turn things around, but that run of six home games out of seven will get very toxic if things don’t immediately change.
Some thought we should win pretty much all of these; others correctly identified that ETH would be in real trouble if he lost three (or four tonight with Newcastle added on).

sengineer

You guys are just believing anything now, come on :lol:
Please explain why all the managers have failed at similar stages, lost some of the players, everyone is underperforming? Whatever is going on behind closed doors; the down spiral and failure of all the managers and the destruction of this club has not been all the fault of the managers.

In Rainbows

As much as I want Ten Hag gone, I'm at a point where I don't want the players to think they can outlast the manager. As bad a job as Ten Hag is doing, they should be better than this. I don't trust these players.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
As much as I want Ten Hag gone, I'm at a point where I don't want the players to think they can outlast the manager. As bad a job as Ten Hag is doing, they should be better than this. I don't trust these players.
Yes, exactly. Surely, Ten Hag (not advocating that stays or goes) is not incomptent to the point that he can't get a goal out of these players in two consecutive home games? Regardless of the result.

frostbite

Nobody here denies that Rangnick is a shit coach. That's not the point that's being made though.
The job he has right now is coach, he is not a DOF. It is surprising that some posts suggest that he is an amazing DOF, but he himself doesn't know it, and he keeps asking for coaching jobs and not for DOF jobs!

tomaldinho1

I don't know about you folks, but I truly felt sorry for Ten Hag today. He looked like a broken man. I don't know what is wrong with this club but right now it really is truly depressing.
Really sad how it is no different to the matter days of Ole, Mou, LVG. The tactical setup isn’t working and that is on him but there are so many players just way off the basic level - like passing to a team mate off - which is not.

sparx99

The constant there is the players stopping running for the manager. Playing slow, without aggression, pulling out of their 50-50s not pressing and leaving their man to someone else. This is the players on strike again, make no mistake about it. The club is in crisis yet again because the players are soft shites who collectively can’t rise to the challenge of being ultra professional and competitive for longer than a few months without throwing their toys out of the pram.

I feel for the manager as I felt for Ole. Ronaldo arriving (and the EL final) killed him and I’d say he would have wanted Haaland a 100 times at any point over ever getting Ronaldo back. We tried to cheap out on the fee but for really high wages yet again and end up spending so much bad after bad money to try and finally fix the position. Ronaldo plus Rasmus money and wages would have got us kane or haaland at any point in the last 3 years. Think of all the money and momentum we’ve lost signing stopgaps and using poor or short term players post Fergie? It’s just horrible and it’s left us with nothing. No wonder the players are sick of it all but the least they can do is be professional and try their hardest even if the manager is too strict or picks his favourites. If they do that they are good enough to get top 4 but not much else by the looks of it. Demoralised all round. I expect the sack any day now. They are playing to get him sacked clear as day
People always say its the players on strike but hardly any of them remain from Mourinho's time. Shaw, Lindelof, Dalot, McTominay, Rashford. I don't think there are anymore. Is that enough of a core group to have striked for Mourinho, Ole and now Ten Hag. The players have been changed and the kind of issues we see have remained form one manager to the next.

Obviously, there is more of a crossover with Ole's signings but often times when people say the players have gone on strike they actually mean they've lost belief in the manager. If players have even a little bit of doubt in the boss then it bleeds into matches. It's the half-hearted run. It's the opposite of 'running through brick walls for the boss'. All of a sudden any niggle means a player is unavailable rather than chomping at the bit to play.

AndySmith1990

Last 37 games in all comps. GD of -1.

If anyone thinks a manager with results like that can become a Premier League title winning manager 1 day, they should go buy tickets to the moon.
How anyone can defend that is beyond me. If he were managing the scousers and had that record we'd be pissing ourselves laughing and calling him the dutch Hodgson or something

frostbite

Please explain why all the managers have failed at similar stages, lost some of the players, everyone is underperforming? Whatever is going on behind closed doors; the down spiral and failure of all the managers and the destruction of this club has not been all the fault of the managers.
Actually, none of our managers "failed". They all got positions from 2nd to 7th, which is good for most managers.To do better than that, we don't need a good manager, we need an exceptional manager. None of our managers was exceptional. ETH isn't, either.

sparx99

Actually, none of our managers "failed". They all got positions from 2nd to 7th, which is good for most managers.To do better than that, we don't need a good manager, we need an exceptional manager. None of our managers was exceptional. ETH isn't, either.
One of the things people miss is that failing is also part of the journey. You don't usually finish 5th then 4th then 3rd until you win. Progress can be a meandering path. It's hard to imagine now but if ETH somehow survives then it's this time when we may look back on and think 'thank god we didn't give up on him'.

In Rainbows

People always say its the players on strike but hardly any of them remain from Mourinho's time. Shaw, Lindelof, Dalot, McTominay, Rashford. I don't think there are anymore. Is that enough of a core group to have striked for Mourinho, Ole and now Ten Hag. The players have been changed and the kind of issues we see have remained form one manager to the next.

Obviously, there is more of a crossover with Ole's signings but often times when people say the players have gone on strike they actually mean they've lost belief in the manager. If players have even a little bit of doubt in the boss then it bleeds into matches. It's the half-hearted run. It's the opposite of 'running through brick walls for the boss'. All of a sudden any niggle means a player is unavailable rather than chomping at the bit to play.
Sure, but I don't think it's wild to suggest that the attitudes of the former players, gets passed to the newer players. However, having said that it's impossible to get rid of everyone. I want players like Rashford gone. If we want consistency with a new manager, we need to continue the path Ten Hag was going for at least with regards to possession. Players like Onana, Martinez, Shaw, etc... are oriented towards possession based football. The next manager needs to demand we work towards dominating possession at the bare minimum. And if that's the case we need players like Rashford gone, Mctominay gone, and Bruno gone.

Going back to the players' effort, I don't think it's right that the players can lose belief that fast. They should carry out their instructions regardless. If United are a side that plays 6th-8th place level football consistently, then fine the manager is a clear problem and we can identify our squad needing huge upgrades.

However, there have been too many times where the players go from 2nd-4th place football and revert to football that is more deserving of those around 12-15th level. As bad as the coaching and the player quality is, it should never revert to that level. That to me shows that these players are downing tools or are incredibly weak minded.

That shows to me that even if we get a manager next season that starts doing well in year 1, eventually in year 2 or 3 these players will once again have another period of football where the football gets laughably bad like under Mourinho, Ole, Rangnick, and now Ten Hag forcing us to reconsider the manager. LVG is the only one that didn't have his players turn to absolutely near relegation level. He was sacked at the end of the season. We're on a worryingly bad trend of appalling losing streaks that get managers sacked.

fallengt

Last 37 games in all comps. GD of -1.

If anyone thinks a manager with results like that can become a Premier League title winning manager 1 day, they should go buy tickets to the moon.
You should rewatch arteta first season mate. He made Fat Frank looked like genius in comparison.

Not a single soul believed he would last more than 3 years with that football they played.

ETH is in a more worrying state though since he never commited to what hes good at from day 1. Spending big on 2-3 players comes with pressure to success fast, he has to be pragmatic and play such football that might not be his strong point.

Last edited:

sparx99

Sure, but I don't think it's wild to suggest that the attitudes of the former players, gets passed to the newer players. However, having said that it's impossible to get rid of everyone. I want players like Rashford gone. If we want consistency with a new manager, we need to continue the path Ten Hag was going for at least with regards to possession. Players like Onana, Martinez, Shaw, etc... are oriented towards possession based football. The next manager needs to demand we work towards dominating possession at the bare minimum. And if that's the case we need players like Rashford gone, Mctominay gone, and Bruno gone.

Going back to the players' effort, I don't think it's right that the players can lose belief that fast. They should carry out their instructions regardless. If United are a side that plays 6th-8th place level football consistently, then fine the manager is a clear problem and we can identify our squad needing huge upgrades.

However, there have been too many times where the players go from 2nd-4th place football and revert to football that is more deserving of those around 12-15th level. As bad as the coaching and the player quality is, it should never revert to that level. That to me shows that these players are downing tools or are incredibly weak minded.

That shows to me that even if we get a manager next season that starts doing well in year 1, eventually in year 2 or 3 these players will once again have another period of football where the football gets laughably bad like under Mourinho, Ole, Rangnick, and now Ten Hag forcing us to reconsider the manager. LVG is the only one that didn't have his players turn to absolutely near relegation level. He was sacked at the end of the season. We're on a worryingly bad trend of appalling losing streaks that get managers sacked.
Yeah, I agree. The worse it gets the worse they play and the more the pressure grows until everyone is just being crap. It is particularly concerning that even big moments like winning late against Brentford or Onana saving the pen against Copenhagen didn't lead to any kind of uptick in the mood of the squad.

Even within games it seems like we can start well like against Spurs and even City for 15 mins then it all falls apart. Is it because we didn't get the goal to reward the play and then the players start cheating the system or start acting individually?

The game again tonight wasn't going too badly until one poor bit of play near the opposition box leads to a counterattack and a goal. The players then never threatened to come back. It's like it sucked all the confidence away again and that's somewhat understandable given how fragile we are currently.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Not sure why you guys don’t see this but it’s obvious. ETH plan is to get us out of all competitions, relegate us and by doing that finally rid us of the Glazers.

You should be thanking him. Nitwits.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Not sure why you guys don’t see this but it’s obvious. ETH plan is to get us out of all competitions, relegate us and by doing that finally rid us of the Glazers.

You should be thanking him. Nitwits.
He is definitely ahead of the schedule for Plan Phoenix.

croadyman

You start to wonder how many players took Sancho's side over this,initially I thought it wasn't many because he was being encouraged to apologise. However when you look at performances it now looks like the majority want him back and have decided to stop playing for Erik until he's sacked most likely by these leeches

gajender

Stop cheering or applauding for these sets of lazy giving up sets of players

Back your managers. Let them know that their petulant acts arent welcomed
What happened mate you changed your tune on Ten Hag , players may be the problem but that doesn't mean managers weren't in past or now in present it's fecking collective shit fest .

I say purge them all manager , players , management everybody .

samlee86

We have a MINUS FIVE goal difference!

Only 5 teams have a worse goal difference than us this season.

Bloody Everton and Wolves have better goal difference than us this season.

How pathetic is that?

I’ve reached the point of despair.

How have we come full circle in 18 months.

Its like sick version of groundhog day.

I’m fearing the worst against Fulham. How has it come to this after £400m spent.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What happened mate you changed your tune on Ten Hag , players may be the problem but that doesn't mean managers weren't in past or now in present it's fecking collective shit fest .

I say purge them all manager , players , management everybody .
If I could, I would

Gladly spent a year or two in the championship.

But if we sack ETH, the rot will seep and spread to the new bunch.

ti vu

You start to wonder how many players took Sancho's side over this,initially I thought it wasn't many because he was being encouraged to apologise. However when you look at performances it now looks like the majority want him back and have decided to stop playing for Erik until he's sacked most likely by these leeches
I think how the club handled DDG situation is more damaging than anything. DDG may need to go due to performance issue, but he's a long time servant to the club with good attitude. When you treated DDG like that, it would definitely affect the morale. Players may now feel insecure about club dumping them like hot garbage despite they try to give their all. The club didn't own up and be honest with DDG about no longer want his service, and instead making it into ugly bye bye.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Calmed down a bit after the weekend and today. I think we should stick by ETH because I don't want these dogshit players to get another clean slate. I would throw these fecks out first and then decide what to do with the manager.

croadyman

I think how the club handled DDG situation is more damaging than anything. DDG may need to go due to performance issue, but he's a long time servant to the club with good attitude. When you treated DDG like that, it would definitely affect the morale. Players may now feel insecure about club dumping them like hot garbage despite they try to give their all. The club didn't own up and be honest with DDG about no longer want his service, and instead making it into ugly bye bye.
Yeah DDG was treated absolutely shabbily by the club there is no doubt about that,maybe he has more support from players than Erik realised and his decision has backfired on him badly

sglowrider

This. How are players going to feel motivated when the manager treats a long-time servant of the club like some disposable piece of tissue? Especially for the senior players.

He/they should have addressed it publically or at least brought him back to celebrate his career. No goodbyes etc.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The biggest problem that we have in our team right now is our "pressing" or our lack there of. If you press, the entire team has to press. You either press with everyone, or you press with nobody. The moment you have your front 3 pressing, but your midfield is backing off, then your front 3 press is useless because now their back 4 has outlets. ETH has to either tell his entire team to press, or tell his entire team to back off. The way it is now, we are so easy to play through because we aren't pressing as a team. Some are and some aren't, and that's the worst thing you can do. Pressing is supposed to take away space. Our press opens up more space. It's really quite pathetic. And this is only a small part of our problem. Don't even get me started on our "attack". Antony will beat his Fb wide and have space to run into because the oppositions entire back line, but then he will stop, cut back to his left foot, and let the entire back 4 get goal side. WTF??? When was the last time one of our forwards took the ball wide and crossed it back post for the other winger to tap it in? All our wingers want to do is assist. If I was manager the first thing I would is make Antony play on the left wing and make Rashford play on the right wing to help teach them that assisting is just as important as scoring.

sglowrider

Calmed down a bit after the weekend and today. I think we should stick by ETH because I don't want these dogshit players to get another clean slate. I would throw these fecks out first and then decide what to do with the manager.
You know what you are asking is nearly impossible. On manager is always cheaper to rid of than a bunch fo players. Besides, we have already got rid of a fair number of players in the past 2 summers.

So I think you are setting yourself up for another prezel rationalisation phase.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Well a lot of it is down to him for his refusal to drop players who were downing tools. He stubbornly played Rashford, Bruno, Case when they were all in shit form. The injuries of course is not his fault,

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You know what you are asking is nearly impossible. On manager is always cheaper to rid of than a bunch fo players. Besides, we have already got rid of a fair number of players in the past 2 summers.

So I think you are setting yourself up for another prezel rationalisation phase.
Obviously we cant do that in 1 window but 3-4 out in the summer would be a good start. Hopefully the takeover is done by then and we have new setup planning for the summer.

ti vu

This. How are players going to feel motivated when the manager treats a long-time servant of the club like some disposable piece of tissue? Especially for the senior players.

He/they should have addressed it publically or at least brought him back to celebrate his career. No goodbyes etc.
I really have no solution for DDG if I am the decision maker at the club. I meant everyone know whatever we do now is covering our own ass, whereas the bridge is truly burnt; damage has been done especially onto DDG. It would require DDG be quite "nice" (submissive even) to agree to play a puppet in the club face saving show.

That incident sent a wrong message really. So good attitude, professionalism is not appreciated, who care about the management dealing with unprofessional teammate. Siding with either sides doesn't matter because in the end you can still be kicked out for doing the right thing if one day management doesn't see value in you anymore.

Pronewbie

Peep
I don't know if it's because he's too meek in his public persona at a club where it matters a lot. Or just incompetent in the role. If the refs were shite, call it out. Same goes for the transfer window, summer prep or tactical plan(s). Now he can't do it from a position of strength as he'd be seen as a crybaby.