Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 580 54.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 483 45.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Baxquux

I'm seeing @pocco 's side on this and it's not so much his ability to speak English, it's the style, manner and inflections that come from that particular region of Netherlands. There was someone on here who was either Dutch or knew a lot about it and said a while ago he got some stick about it back there. Something like how we diss Ligue Un as a 'farmer's league', it was similar to that; country gent coming into big city type thing. But either way, I think he's just about done for, unfortunately as I can't see it continuing like this waiting for INEOS to get to grips with it.
I agree that he's likely done, and for pretty good reason. Not sure those include his having the Dutch version of a West Country rural twang and tics, but that's by the by...

spiriticon

It's true, they were effing terrible.

They only scored 4 because our Erik does not seemingly know how to structure a team defence where the same basic rules apply, no matter who is playing.

All it takes is one injury or sending off and it all goes to shit at the back.

crossy1686

career ending
It's true, they were effing terrible.

They only scored 4 because our Erik does not seemingly know how to structure a team defence where the same basic rules apply, no matter who is playing.

All it takes is one injury or sending off and it all goes to shit at the back.
I still can’t get over the fact a Danish team put 4 past us due to how open we were.

Robbie Boy

Whoops... I didn't realize your post was in response to one about Arteta, not EtH. So of course my post makes no sense
Was wondering :lol:

It really is amazing that the majority of post-Fergie managers have managed to come in, spend a feck tonne of cash, and still leave with the squad in an utter state.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
By that logic Di Matteo is amazing
And you’re going off subject. I think the original argument/disagreement was that Solskjær did a better job than Arteta… that’s why I brought the trophy up.

Hackman2210

The problem we've got is short termism. If we keep changing managers after 1-2 season then we will never rebuild. The commentators said it took Fergie 100games to win 50. Ten Haag is ahead of that. Short termism has got us Casemiro and Varnae and Erikson - we bought them in, won a trophy and now its time to move on from them. Anthony is 21 Hojlund is 20 - those guys could be here 10 years - they are not a waste of money......yet. He needs another season at least before we can judge him. Changing him now just gets us a new manager with a load of players he doesnt fancy and we go round again. ETH has got a good track record - give him a chance.

Manncunian

This thread epitomises kicking the can down the road.

Stop using every excuse under the sun to validate the nonsense that he “will come good”.

gaffs

The problem we've got is short termism. If we keep changing managers after 1-2 season then we will never rebuild. The commentators said it took Fergie 100games to win 50. Ten Haag is ahead of that. Short termism has got us Casemiro and Varnae and Erikson - we bought them in, won a trophy and now its time to move on from them. Anthony is 21 Hojlund is 20 - those guys could be here 10 years - they are not a waste of money......yet. He needs another season at least before we can judge him. Changing him now just gets us a new manager with a load of players he doesnt fancy and we go round again. ETH has got a good track record - give him a chance.
I agree. If there is no stratagy from the club, then it will be rinse repeat.

What changes this, i believe is INEOS potentially coming in. If they come in with a strategy and Ten Hag's is still at this sub 50% win rate, then they will make a change.

But even if there is no change in ownership or director of football etc, Ten Hag has made a catalogue of mistakes this year. He had over 140mil of players he signed on the bench. He is falling back on the players who were here prior to his arrival. He is playing a right back at left back, despite having a very serviceable left back on the bench.

FerociousCorgis

i was a huge fan of him after last season, but shit is just bad this year. The way we collapse under any sort of adversity is just ridiculous. The patterns of play just arent consistently there. Dont see any systems being put in place that can allow for injuries/rotation without making us look like shit out there. Can only beat shit teams by 1, lose to any top team, and by multiple goals generally. Yes the transfer department obviously needs reworking, but he needs to start showing some sort of coaching being done with the players we have. He wasnt brought in to grind out ugly results against lower teams while we get embarrassed by any decent squad out there.

gaffs

And if we beat them both, we will have more points than after the same amount of games last season ! Crossroads
True, but strength of opponent was much weaker in our first 13 games this season.

The 6 wins we have had in the Prem this season have been against bottom half fodder. Add Luton and Everton to that if we win the next two.

Last season, we beat Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham and played well in the Chelsea and Newcastle draws.

Plus, we were playing some good football after a poor opening two games, which were put down to new manager, new system.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
There's a whole bunch of context you have to put in there though. The pens amd red cards alone are a big contributing factor.

I argued last season that people were getting carried away with ETH. Far too giddy. Seeing things(patterns of play) that weren't there.

But now its flipped the other way. He's had such bad luck this season. It'd be incredibly harsh to sack any manager whose been dealt this hand.
Nah. All of our wins have been terrible performances where we’ve been really lucky to win.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Ten Hag will be successful wherever he goes after United.

Just let him go and let's get De Zebri, can't wait to read hundres of pages calling him "fraud" in 1 year.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why does everyone think we’ll just suddenly sack him. He won’t be sacked unless we finish very low in the table. If we come 3rd in the CL group stage then he’s basically got this full season as the board know if we win the Europa we’re in the CL anyway. Failure to qualify for next seasons CL could see him gone in the summer. Also the managers we’ll probably be targeting will be at current clubs and it’s much easier to approach them in the summer rather than mid season.

hobbers

Ten Hag will be successful wherever he goes after United.

Just let him go and let's get De Zebri, can't wait to read hundres of pages calling him "fraud" in 1 year.
Yeah just like De Boer went and won the CL after Palace fired him. :lol:

Fooza

Sorry for being a simple newbie , I should know my place better. Ok here's a back up . We had areas to cover and after that we had no money. Your suggestion seem to point that we should have bought replacement for AWB and Shaw as they are not good enough. Well i would point out that if that the level we need to buy another 11 to cover for injuries and poor performance as all our areas at present in bang average to poor.
He's picked the players we spent a lot on (antony) or players that were not as important (mount - areas that didn't need filling). Mount is now benched and we have a very average defence as I would say Martinez seems to be the only one who I would class as really good and somewhat consistent. Nothing about buying another 11 - EtH just didn't plan well enough in terms of the areas that needed upgrading and he didn't picked the right players to buy.

Marwood

Nah. All of our wins have been terrible performances where we’ve been really lucky to win.
Not disputing that. Point is there's valid reasons for the losses and poor wins beyond the manager being rubbish.

TsuWave

The way people fight to defend this guy - you’d think he won us the league and/or the CL or at the very least had us playing swashbuckling champagne football.

tjb

Yeah just like De Boer went and won the CL after Palace fired him. :lol:
Or Mourinho, Van Gaal, Ole and Moyes. It's weird that fans always have this notion that we are somehow lucky to have a player or manager who isn't performing. We are Man United. We shouldn't care if Ten Haag goes back to Ajax and wins a billion league titles. It's the same way Pogba, Alexis Sanchez, VDB and all our other failed managers and signings would have made it elsewhere. Despite this notion, in the 10 years of failure after Sir Alex, only Di Maria and Memphis Depay have gone on to do better things after leaving United.

Shark

@NotShark
The way people fight to defend this guy - you’d think he won us the league and/or the CL or at the very least had us playing swashbuckling champagne football.
The people urgently wanting him sacked forget that we have gone over a decade without a league title or CL regardless of who's been at the helm. Two managers that are serial winners failing miserably. So maybe, just maybe we should build a functioning structure in which ETH can succeed before binning another manager.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
From what I recall the Ten Hag signing was seen as United finally making a "modern" managerial signing, which lots of people really wanted. I can understand holding onto him because if this fails, there is no obvious solution.

Conor

Do you not constantly defend shite players that have had way more time to show something than Ten Hag has?

RedRocket9908

Do you not constantly defend shite players that have had way more time to show something than Ten Hag has?
Its shocking that people are still defending ETH when he has had 18 months and has produced nothing, there is no game plan or style and his subs are bizarre.

Mr PG

Rashford is getting off relatively easy here. I'm honestly surprised many didn't pick up on what a horrible attitude Rashford was playing with like he didn't want to be there. I honestly think that's what led to the move he made as you never see Rashford try to shield the ball in that manner. Rashford plays like he's doing us a favor by being there.

Jezpeza

I think he’s abandoned his philosophies in search of results and we are back to kick and rush/hail Mary's in behind.

I disagree with the notion that we should ‘give him time to build something’.

whats he building? Theres no culture on the pitch. We are mentally fragile. He’s spent 400 million - two of his signings, Martinez and Hojlund are hits. So at this rate as long as we give him 2 billion we might have a starting 11. Will he work with people that INEOS install behind the scenes to modernise the structure? At the moment he is no different to LVG, Ole or JM - signed a load of crap he wanted and cant get them playing on the pitch. Hes no different to the others.

I’d rather him just not play the likes of Mctominay, Martial and Antony, drop them to the reserves. I’d give him more credit if he played the likes of Mainoo, Hannibal, Pellestri every week and tried to play pressing football and hold possession and they tried and weren’t good enough than him compromise like he has and have us essentially playing subpar Ole Ball to get results we aren’t even getting.

erikcred

Those players who decide the team sheet, tactics and in game subs absolutely deserve a bollocking. But until we know who these players are, we've to assume that it's ETH doing a piss poor job with these responsibilities.