Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 646 44.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 805 55.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Jaae

Not ITK
Is anybody surprised we lost tonight? Was anybody surprised we didn’t see out a 2 goal lead midweek? No. So what are we still doing with ETH. Is anybody going to be surprised when Liverpool hit us for a cricket score in 2 weeks?

He’s absolutely fluffed this second season. We need an interim, again, to at least breathe a little optimism going in to the second half of the campaign. ETH cannot turn this around.

Blood Mage

He has to go really, he's run out of excuses. We are much less than the sum of our parts and that is the result of poor coaching. Liverpool will hammer us.

Client6

EtH seems a bit clueless now. Players are not blameless and I still want most of them to go before the manager but EtH doesn't seem to have an answer.

McTominay scores a few times and now he plays at no. 10 almost every game, when he was supposed to be out of the door in the summer. And Bruno in CM with Mainoo away at Newcastle?!

Plays Dalot at LB and AWB at RB when Reguilon is available.

Rashford's confidence is rock bottom and he starts every game?! Rashford is absolutely not in a position to start a game and make an impact. Doesn't matter how well he trains. Just bench him and bring him on when you are winning 2-0, 3-0 to let him be comfortable and express himself and get back his confidence.

Sees United struggle playing out from the back for 70 mins in the game and doesn't change the approach one bit. Even Newcastle who had the crowd behind them didn't play from the back.

The moment he made subs, and we had a left back playing at LB, a right back that's decent on the ball at RB, a CM in the middle, a right winger at RW, United put a move together and started threatening them. Yes, Newcastle were probably tired by then but the changes should have happened sooner.

I think EtH is overcomplicating things, it shouldn't be that complex - Onana is under so much scrutiny, let him take a long goal kick, let the defense push up a bit, 1-on-1 our defenders are very good, amd at least they will have the Newcastle players in front of them. Let the midfield and attack try and win the ball if the goal kick causes loss of possession. And then finally don't fecking go all the way back to Onana, and even if you do, repeat the whole thing - go long. Don't pass it to defenders that are poor on the ball closer to your own goal, only for them to lose the ball around the box and then get outnumbered. No player looks settled in their "area" of the pitch, they almost always look out of position or unaware of opposition players. It causes the team to press half-heartedly. Stop playing from the back when you are chasing a goal at a difficult away stadium. I'd rather the team loses the ball in the center of the midfield than just outside the box.

I don't understand how EtH is not seeing this.

Don't play players out of position if there is an alternative, even if the alternative is not that great. Don't play out from the back when the team is leaking goals. Don't play players out of position. It can't be that difficult surely. Today we looked like a Championship team.

NZT-One

Have to admit, he doesn't do much to keep the hopes up... I actually don't mind results and performances too much, we are transitioning our styles and because this doesn't do work too well, we have significant weaknesses most good opponents will be able to identify and pounce on it. But I also don't want to see us go back to Ole ball or the slightly variation of it from last year. The direction is the right one, but I don't know if ETH really has what it takes to take the necessary steps. His resistence to act on what McTom and Rashford are producing, his not acting upon the regular issues with too much space opening in the middle of the park. He really needs to produce some positives now. And I am not talking about flukey 1:0 wins after games like today. For the love of good, let me watch 4:3 losses for a while but give me hope, that we are working towards something worth investing in.

crossy1686

career ending
At this point we could have the bastard love child of sir Matt and sir Alex. And they would’nt be able to get a tune out of this.
Why do people think Ten Hag is anywhere near good enough to be mentioned in the same breathe as these blokes? We're shite because he's shite.

DavidDeSchmikes

wanted him to succeed, but I think we've reached or reaching the end game
Seems like our tactics are "off the cuff" and let's see what happens.

AndyMUFC

It is the same old players letting down another manager but the problem is he's fecking picking them, and over players he's brought to the club himself too.

He's got nobody to blame but himself if he keeps these team selections up because he'll get sacked because of it.

TheGame

Varane has joined Sancho in the long list of players he turned on. Even when he needs him, he won't play him. Guy is just ridiculously stubborn and so full of himself as if he thinks the players should be slaves or something.
Im sorry but anyone having any sympathy for Jadon fecking Sancho needs their head checked. Criticise ETH for many things but Sancho isn’t one of them. He’s sat at home earning £350k a week playing video games, he can truly just feck off.

MadMike

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Stick to the plan, no wonder we never see any change in our performances against top half teams

forevrared

You can only blame the players for so long before you have to look at ten Hag and ask why he keeps picking them. The forward line should've picked itself for this game given the way Newcastle play. Wan-Bissaka needed help on the right. You get that from Antony, not Rashford. We needed a hard working striker who at least stood a chance at feasting on scraps, instead ten Hag picks the laziest player in the whole of the Premier League. These are just more examples of his ridiculous team selections and even when it becomes obvious that he's erred, he waits far too long to fix his mistakes.

Ceteris

He just said on TV that this team is resilient, he's deluded too I guess.

Christmas fixtures will determine his faith and looking at the fixtures apart from Bournemouth we are not favourites for any them.

Gone before Christmas?

kidbob

Also the board needs to systematically assess the 2nd seasons. How is it possible we look so good under Jose, Ole and ETH for many games and suddenly it all goes to shit. Why is it that under every manager we seem to have a number of games where players perform and then it all falls apart. Under one it's just something that happens but under 3 different managers it's a trend. Do we honestly have no data scientists examining this? At this point it isn't a coincidence. At some point it isn't that all these managers are so shit, or the players are only capable of 20 games under a manager before they become shit and a new manager is needed to reset the whole thing. Why is it that we can be very good for 20 games and then shite again until a new manager comes in. Any proper club or business would be working their ass off to figure this out.

The biggest one is why do players come here and instantly start under performing. Why is it we buy so many players who instantly turn shite when they come here? This has happened under every manager, so what is the club doing wrong that allows this happen. I worry that no one at the club is analysing this.

Stretfordender

Bollocks, just an excuse as always.
its starts at the top and runs right down to the shop floor. No one cares about winning trophies, making history it’s all about how many shirts and deals are being made. That strategy and attitude comes from the top. The manager will be gone before rashford and martial as the hierarchy of the club know those players are more valuable to their pockets than Ten Hag.

el3mel

Im sorry but anyone having any sympathy for Jadon fecking Sancho needs their head checked. Criticise ETH for many things but Sancho isn’t one of them. He’s sat at home earning £350k a week playing video games, he can truly just feck off.
The manager is the one who banished him from the team and refused to let him back unless he gets on his knees and apologizes.

astracrazy

You have to like your manager to do that, I don't think Howe is the greatest tactician ever but he is popular and everyone buys into his heavy running game. It seems to me like something may have happened in the summer - there were rumblings of issues with preseason - and it's just been a disaster since. I don't think Ten Hag is popular with the players at all, and the way he treated Sancho for example may well have been unpopular.
A manager unpopular with the players...hardly new to be fair.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag, speaking to TNT Sports: "We had a tough first half and said at half-time we were pleased to be in the game. We had a good comeback in the last part of the game. We will talk tomorrow with the team about it. We go back, we will talk about this and move in to Wednesday."

Biggest concern: "As I said, I will talk with my team. We had some chances. We thought we scored a goal but it was offside. We could have scored."

On Marcus Rashford: "I will talk to him and not the media."

On Bruno Fernandes: "I think everyone has seen what happened. Before that we had a very good break to create a big chance. There was a foul. We will leave that behind us."

On fixture schedule: "This week, it was not in our advantage but we will take it as it is."

On Chelsea on Wednesday: "This team is resilient. We have seen it after City. We had a bad defeat and we stick together. We have a plan and we keep going."

AndySmith1990

At this point we could have the bastard love child of sir Matt and sir Alex. And they would’nt be able to get a tune out of this.
Well, a decade ago Alex Ferguson won the league with what many considered a fairly poor United team, relatively speaking. I'm pretty sure if technology existed to de-age Fergie by 30 years he'd be able to turn around this mess.

Ten Hag can't, however, because he's crap

ti vu

You're right, my bad.
No worries.

The point is they were in the midst of relegation battle. Chose a young manager who was considered naive which in his last job finally got punished with a relegation, but with positive play style. They see the bigger picture than calling Big Sam out of retirement to steady the ship. Their rise to this current level has been impressive progress. Question is still there whether they can continue to progress further under Howe, but that's for another thread.

TheGame

The manager is the one who banished him from the team and refused to let him back unless he gets on his knees and apologizes.
ETH is spot on with that. He didn’t do anything wrong and Sancho threw his toys out of the pram. He should have just apologised and fecking got on with it. If you are defending him over ETH get you head checked. There are faults with ETH, that isn’t one of them.

Geistman

After this weekends fixtures we'll probably be around 8th in the table, and lucky to be 8th to be honest. Like I've never seen what ETH trying to implement. I'd love it if I could see it, I wouldnt mind the results etc, just improvement, see what he's about. But it's nothing football, baffling subs and terrible signings that don't suit the intensity of the league. The job is too big or he's not focusing on the team enough. The board have a lot to consider where we go from here.

saflegend

It's disheartening to see the calls for his dismissal and the constant demand for immediate success. Let's take a step back and appreciate the journey we're on with him.

Football is a process, and developing a winning team doesn't happen overnight. I believe we should be patient and enjoy the ride rather than succumb to the pressure of wanting instant results. Trusting the process is crucial, especially when it comes to the development of our players.

There seems to be this obsession with winning every game, but is that truly healthy for the growth of our players? We need to recognize that setbacks are a part of the journey, and the focus should be on improvement. Erik ten Hag is working on refining our playing style, and that takes time.

Let's not forget the values that make Manchester United special – a family-oriented club with a rich history. Ten Hag's approach aligns with our core principles, and it's important to maintain that identity. A knee-jerk reaction to every loss doesn't serve the club well.

In the grand scheme of things, success will come, but it's more meaningful when it's achieved through a sustainable and long-term approach. Trust in Erik ten Hag, support our players, and let's remain united in our journey.

Whether we win or lose the next 10 games, it's not the be-all and end-all. What matters most is the progress and development happening under Erik ten Hag.

crossy1686

career ending
its starts at the top and runs right down to the shop floor. No one cares about winning trophies, making history it’s all about how many shirts and deals are being made. That strategy and attitude comes from the top. The manager will be gone before rashford and martial as the hierarchy of the club know those players are more valuable to their pockets than Ten Hag.
The manager should be gone because he's absolutely shite and has no idea what he's doing.

Maybe you're right, maybe they only care about the money at the top, but let me let you in on a little secret, you get way more money if you're successful and win stuff. If you think people at the club don't want to win stuff then we wouldn't have spent £400m in the last 2 seasons trying to do exactly that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ten Hag is starting to make really strange decisions, which are going to get him sacked if he isn't careful. Tonight's tactics were by pass midfield and go long to McTominay. It didn't work, at all. McTominay being there altered the entire structure of midfield, for the worse, that's on him. He seems to have lost confidence in his ability to get football out of the team. Honestly, if the way we progress the ball is go direct to the big fella, why did we sack Mourinho?

I have some sympathy with Ten Hag, we don't have enough footballers to really play out of a press like Newcastle's. However, the way around that isn't McTominay at #10 and Bruno as an #8. If he can't see that then we're really in the mud.

el3mel

ETH is spot on with that. He didn’t do anything wrong and Sancho threw his toys out of the pram. He should have just apologised and fecking got on with it. If you are defending him over ETH get you head checked.
Why should he ?

ETH is spot on with that
Then don't blame the player for sitting at his home and playing video games when it's the manager's decision.

sammyhol

Let’s take it as read that the Glazers and the lack of football structure are the big issue overall.

But it shouldn’t protect Ten Hag. His decisions are the biggest contributor to this terrible season so far.

Continues with the single midfield pivot, with Mainoo tonight thrown to the wolves, despite us looking consistently poor playing with this shape.

Finally gets Shaw fit and plays him at CB. And then plays right footed dalot LB when reguilon is fit and on the bench.

Starting mctominay every game despite him offering nothing but goal threat, which is a long way down the list of key attributes for your box to box midfielder.

Drops Antony after his best performance in a year.

Preserves with rashford, and now seemingly martial.

Terrible summer spend priorities in the likes of Mount.

The list goes on and on. He is making mistake after mistake after mistake.

Based Adnan

Look at the fecking state of this midfield. How can this manager not see this and address it?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Currently 10 teams with better goal difference with us. GD matters, look at the top 6, all with healthy numbers.