Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 603 55.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 487 44.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I reckon ETH will do a great job in Germany or Italy, but England is too difficult for him and he is too old to learn new tricks.
He failed to get Bayern's reserves promoted to the 3rd League. His successor did. Just as a little data point about EtH in Germany

Mike Smalling

Been thinking about his signings.

The problem as I see is that he's brought in these players, but with the exception of maybe Martinez and Casemiro last year they haven't really been any better or significantly better than the players he chose to replace.

You expect to see improvements on the pitch when you replace players and overall that just hasn't been the case.
Yeah, this is it. ETH will fall with this own signings, especially Antony and Onana. If we had a right-winger actually performing up to the level expected of £90m signing, we might create more chances and score more goals. It might also make Højlund look like less of a flop. If we had a goalkeeper that didn't ship easy goals in the Champions League, we might be going through. If we had gotten an actual improvement to the midfield instead of Mason Mount, we might see more structure in our play.

I think there is definitely also selection, coaching and tactical issues, but the signings could not have been much worse. Martinez is the only one that really shines.

Rista

I was still ETH in up until now, I just can not see any style of play, patterns of be play……anything. But what do we do, sack yet another manager and keep this same squad of frauds and cowards ?? There needs to be a complete reset starting with the Glazers out which will never happen. I’ve never in my 43 years watching and following United…..fallen asleep during a game before until now. I don’t look forward to games anymore and prefer to watch re runs of OFAH than United.
Our fans really need to get out of this "yet another manager" mindset. Sacking managers is what teams do. Plenty of teams who have won way more than us in the last decade have been through more managers than we have. We should not be so afraid of sacking a manager. It should be no different to buying/selling players. People say City can afford to go through lots of players until they get it right but the difference is that they are ruthless so not only do their players retain resale value but also they don't wait for things to go completely wrong. But we are different, we're the opposite of ruthless, we're doing it the 'United way'. Giving managers and players as much time as possible because we're not a sacking club and are afraid to be one. Manager will be fully backed by the fans until the day he's sacked and then everyone will agree he wasn't good enough and it was the right decision.

RoyH1

I've just watched his press conference after the game, and once again, he's repeating the same statements. It's like listening to a broken record:

- I think that, for the better part of the game, we've played well. but..
- We've had our chances, but
- We should learn from our mistakes...
- We know this isn't good enough and we just to have continue working

And the outcome is always he same... He won't survive until the end of the season
As long as we don't have the new ownership structure in place, there won't be any major changes.

OL29

Yeah with Maguire and Varane, two right footers. Why did we not move Varane to the right with Evans on if having inverted centre backs is an issue? You do understand that Evans is left footed don’t you?
No he isn’t :lol:

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
He has to take responsibility for our style of play which is none existent and also signing 4 players for over 250m who rarely make an impact.

Baneofthegame

Getting pretty fed up with the whole “standards need to improve” spiel after every dicking.

Not sure how not creating a chance for 90 mins in a game we had to win is a “very good” performance either.

Chumpsbechumps

Our fans really need to get out of this "yet another manager" mindset. Sacking managers is what teams do. Plenty of teams who have won way more than us in the last decade have been through more managers than we have. We should not be so afraid of sacking a manager. It should be no different to buying/selling players. People say City can afford to go through lots of players until they get it right but the difference is that they are ruthless so not only do their players retain resale value but also they don't wait for things to go completely wrong. But we are different, we're the opposite of ruthless, we're doing it the 'United way'. Giving managers and players as much time as possible because we're not a sacking club and are afraid to be one. Manager will be fully backed by the fans until the day he's sacked and then everyone will agree he wasn't good enough and it was the right decision.

Other clubs do many things right that United haven’t been doing for over 10 years. One thing other clubs do far better is recruitment and sales. Other clubs prioritise how to get on field success over retaining the book value of a squad with contract extensions to the likes of Jones and Martial.

We get a new manager and what happens while nothing changes? They inherit an unbalanced squad of players who have over seen the sacking of multiple managers. The club still struggles to move on players who aren’t good enough. The manager has to decide who to sign , because that hasn’t been remidied, but since there is no funds they got some half arsed Burnley loan signings that does nothing for the team except bring in a body.

Even if we finish mid table under ETH I don’t see the benefit of bringing in a new manager who can’t do much between now and the summer.

The potential and reward of ETH turning things around versus getting in some intermim alternative makes keeping ETH preferable for me

Juicy Juiced

4 points out of 6 games in a group with Gala and Copenhagen is incredible and should get you ran out of town
Embarrassing stuff after spending 400 m. Inter hounded out De Boer after 14 games when they found out that he is bad manager. Yet, we still have EtH who is, and I am being generous here, pretty bad since that LC final. 4 fecking points.

lsd

The Oracle
He now has a worse record this season than Gary Neville at Valencia

Bobade

Must be sacked.

I don't really care about the problems with the Glazers, injuries etc, you have to do better than this.

I appreciate that problems at the top of an organisation filter down the levels, but there needs to be a limit on how much it can affect your individual performance. We likely won't be able to win the PL or the CL with the Glazers in charge, but it's completely unacceptable to allow that yo be an excuse for finishing at the bottom of that group. Or for performing worse than Valencia when Neville was sacked, a managerial stint that is a long running laughing stock in football.

We created no chances of note last night. We never looked like winning. We had very little visible plan of how to even win the match.

Week after week we watch a disgusting performance. In my book, the excuses have long run out for ETH here. I really wanted the guy and thought he would be fantastic for us, but he isn't.

As for the people who say nothing will change until we get rid of the Glazers, or that we've sacked managers before and it hasn't worked, who cares? Do we just accept poor performances until the Glazers either leave or ETH comes good? No. Get rid and try something else.

Bobade

Other clubs do many things right that United haven’t been doing for over 10 years. One thing other clubs do far better is recruitment and sales. Other clubs prioritise how to get on field success over retaining the book value of a squad with contract extensions to the likes of Jones and Martial.

We get a new manager and what happens while nothing changes? They inherit an unbalanced squad of players who have over seen the sacking of multiple managers. The club still struggles to move on players who aren’t good enough. The manager has to decide who to sign , because that hasn’t been remidied, but since there is no funds they got some half arsed Burnley loan signings that does nothing for the team except bring in a body.

Even if we finish mid table under ETH I don’t see the benefit of bringing in a new manager who can’t do much between now and the summer.

The potential and reward of ETH turning things around versus getting in some intermim alternative makes keeping ETH preferable for me
He isn't going to turn things around though. A new manager won't be able to do much before summer, but if he can do anything to galvanise the team or implement better coaching, then go for it. ETH has had 18 months and presided over some disgraceful defeats, with no sign that things are improving.

Yes, we won the Carabao Cup. I was glad to win it. Our performance in the final was mediocre and then after that match, the performances continued in this vein through most of the season.

Bole Top

I've seen teams that play good football but are shit at the back (BL teams, Dutch teams) and I've seen teams that play defensive, but fairly sucessfull football. we on the other hand can't score and can't defend. the style is neither successful neither pretty. and it costs - a lot.

Chumpsbechumps

He isn't going to turn things around though. A new manager won't be able to do much before summer, but if he can do anything to galvanise the team or implement better coaching, then go for it. ETH has had 18 months and presided over some disgraceful defeats, with no sign that things are improving.

Yes, we won the Carabao Cup. I was glad to win it. Our performance in the final was mediocre and then after that match, the performances continued in this vein through most of the season.
ETH took over a broken club and over achieved last season. I think that’s really worked against him as people expect an upward trajectory and can’t manage road bumps like this season.

I don’t dispute the poor performances and the awful season, you can’t argue with what we see. But I really do feel that there’s been plenty of reasons why things were going to be harder this season. I think there’s plenty of non ETH reasons why things have been sh8t and with everything going on any mistake by the manager is causing more problems then A mistake at a club that maybe just has one problem.

Replacimg the manager to me is small fries. It’s looking for short term gain at a club that doesn’t even have a plan at this stage. Nobody can probably even make that call because the ownership situation. How can anybody think that sacking a manager and replacing them with such turmoil and uncertainty would be a good thing.

Id rather they focus in January in offloading martial and anybody, everybdog else who has been a problem. Discount down to get rid and fill the first team with youth and maybe some loanees. Mid table target, no fa cup but go into the summer with an actual plan and a proper blank slate.

Part of our issue I feel has been this pathetic top 4 target that the owners have. When we match it , their spending always stopped. I think ETH has changed tactics, as every United manager has done, because this is the one thing thing that was demanded , top 4. And as such, we see short term changes to the team , short term signings and there’s no long term cohesion.

I don’t want ETH sacked because he’s been perfect, I don’t want him sacked because I think our issues are far higher than any manager in the world can fix. I think if a manager comes in and gets us top 4 it’s the worst thing imaginable as that’s how Ole got the Job and nothing changed.

I dont want mediocrity , I want excellence, I want the club getting the most out of our resource. I don’t see that happening while we focus on managers to make our broken club work. I see the desperation for a new manager as just that, desperation and I think that in this desperation the idea of change , any change, gives a glimmer of hope
But it’s false hope without the infrastructure changes.

crossy1686

career ending
ETH took over a broken club and over achieved last season. I think that’s really worked against him as people expect an upward trajectory and can’t manage road bumps like this season.

I don’t dispute the poor performances and the awful season, you can’t argue with what we see. But I really do feel that there’s been plenty of reasons why things were going to be harder this season. I think there’s plenty of non ETH reasons why things have been sh8t and with everything going on any mistake by the manager is causing more problems then A mistake at a club that maybe just has one problem.

Replacimg the manager to me is small fries. It’s looking for short term gain at a club that doesn’t even have a plan at this stage. Nobody can probably even make that call because the ownership situation. How can anybody think that sacking a manager and replacing them with such turmoil and uncertainty would be a good thing.

Id rather they focus in January in offloading martial and anybody, everybdog else who has been a problem. Discount down to get rid and fill the first team with youth and maybe some loanees. Mid table target, no fa cup but go into the summer with an actual plan and a proper blank slate.

Part of our issue I feel has been this pathetic top 4 target that the owners have. When we match it , their spending always stopped. I think ETH has changed tactics, as every United manager has done, because this is the one thing thing that was demanded , top 4. And as such, we see short term changes to the team , short term signings and there’s no long term cohesion.

I don’t want ETH sacked because he’s been perfect, I don’t want him sacked because I think our issues are far higher than any manager in the world can fix. I think if a manager comes in and gets us top 4 it’s the worst thing imaginable as that’s how Ole got the Job and nothing changed.

I dont want mediocrity , I want excellence, I want the club getting the most out of our resource. I don’t see that happening while we focus on managers to make our broken club work. I see the desperation for a new manager as just that, desperation and I think that in this desperation the idea of change , any change, gives a glimmer of hope
I think the thing that's really working against him is 12 losses in all competitions, no recognisable style of play, and wasting £400m terrible players.

Chumpsbechumps

I think the thing that's really working against him is 12 losses in all competitions, no recognisable style of play, and wasting £400m terrible players.
I think focusing on the manager and even how our season is going, is just focusing on the smaller picture. Its not that hard to understand, no matter how much some of you deperately want to spin it.

Nogho

Boardroom meeting. Agenda point 1. Manager evaluation 18 months. Questions.

- Has our results improved in 18 months.
No, gotten worse than the last ten years.

- Has our new (expensive) signings turned out to be good?
None.

- Has any of our already in the squad players improved?
None. The ones everyone wanted to replace are now the only one “performing”.

- Have we had any fallouts with players or media?
Several. Ported both players and media.

- Homeform?
Worse than ever.

- Top six opponents?
-Worse than ever.

- Goals?
Worse than ever.

- Injuries?
A lot of muscle ones. Symptomatic for training overload.

- Any positive things to mention?
”Odd silence”

Well…a vote then…

crossy1686

career ending
I think focusing on the manager and even how our season is going, is just focusing on the smaller picture. Its not that hard to understand, no matter how much some of you deperately want to spin it.
Is blaming the players focusing on an even smaller picture then? Are we this bad because of McTomminay? Or maybe Antony?

Chumpsbechumps

Is blaming the players focusing on an even smaller picture then? Are we this bad because of McTomminay? Or maybe Antony?
I am not blaming the players. I dont see anything changing until something changes higher up from players and management.

While you may not agree with the sentiments, if you have higher standards and expectations for united, then a sticky tape interim manager solution shouldnt get you excited or animated.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
So your saying an out of form Bayern kept us comfortably at bay at old trafford on a complete dead rubber for them, when we had to win to have any chance of progressing
Bayern were not out off form last night. They were proving to their fan's they can be proffessional, after the Frankfurt debacle. The dead rubber argument is bollocks. Thus if you seriously believe a Bayern team being proffesional can break a sweat vs a United team starting without 10 first teamers and in current form. You have serious issues. End of story.

GreatDane

How on earth some of you desperatly keeps defending him is beyond me.
Despite our parasite owners Ten Hag still has had 400m to blow and he sets the training, tactics and the team.

rajds89

How many more games this season do we have to lose before those that blindly back him turn?

Gordon Godot

How many more games this season do we have to lose before those that blindly back him turn?
I think we have deluded fans who mistake blind faith with being a top fan. I really wanted and hoped he would succeed. Sure the structure has failed him, though would love to know what signings he vetoed in favour of his choices like Antony, Mount, Onana, Amrabat etc. They are all poor, Mount and Antony just incredibly underwhelming. What does he expect to happen on the pitch? There is nothing there.

FrenchRed

But you can’t leave someone as manner who is actively making things worse. Every day he is there, every dodgy signing he’s making is making the hole we need to climb out of deeper.

We are now down 50m+ in lost revenue on top of the 400m+ he’s wasted on terrible players that someone else will need to sort out later. We’ll never make CL next year, which has a new format that was much more lucrative - the clubs that aren’t in it are massively disadvantaged.

He’s a joke at this point, an imposter. Needs to go asap regardless of those above him in the club. I’ve been saying this for months and months.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm sick of having no identity as a team. I can appreciate we are a Frankenstein's monster of a squad put together by multiple managers but how come other managers can come into a club and implement a style near immediately. We are a nothing team reliant on individual brilliance / luck.

crossy1686

career ending
I am not blaming the players. I dont see anything changing until something changes higher up from players and management.

While you may not agree with the sentiments, if you have higher standards and expectations for united, then a sticky tape interim manager solution shouldnt get you excited or animated.
We absolutely need someone qualified to make football decisions in a role above the manager, but this manager cannot stay in a job for the rest of the season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bayern were not out off form last night. They were proving to their fan's they can be proffessional, after the Frankfurt debacle. The dead rubber argument is bollocks. Thus if you seriously believe a Bayern team being proffesional can break a sweat vs a United team starting without 10 first teamers and in current form. You have serious issues. End of story.
Bayern proved that they took this serious, yes. They also proved that they currently lack inspiration, speed and confidence and are not in form right now. They did enough to calm down the media onslaught but they still performed below expectations. The pressure is still on for team and manager there.

Revan

Assumptionman
The worst manager we've had post-SAF considering his management this season. He's the worst of every manager post-SAF and even worse than that. It's appalling how bad we are. We've never spent more money backing a manager and never been this bad. It's abject management.

The general cluelessness of Moyes, but even Moyes made it out of a CL group stage. Moyes had heavy home defeats, but they were to City/Liverpool. This manager gets destroyed by Newcastle's 2nd XI, Brighton and Bournemouth at Old Trafford. Moyes also didn't lose more games than he won by December.

Shit on a stick attacking football in the league like Van Gaal, but our current pace has us scoring less goals than Van Gaal's 2015-2016 season. We scored less last season than Van Gaal's debut season. Van Gaal also didn't have a player like Rashford who banged 30 goals in all competition last season. A completely inability to carve out chances like Van Gaal's 2nd season, but even worse this season. We're like 10th in most metrics for xG and chance creation.

The contradictions of Mourinho. He talks about upholding standards constantly, but doesn't uphold the standards himself. He's suffered more embarrassing defeats than any manager post-SAF, but goes on and on about standards needing to be hit. Made up some nonsense about why Varane can't play LCB over Evans, and then Evans plays RCB today while Varane is the LCB.

Ole-like with how dysfunctional and individualistic the team's shape is. We play a 3-1-6 build-up despite numerous evidence that it doesn't work for us and there's simply zero adaptability from him to make changes to turn us into a drilled unit. The worst of Ole, but he's been backed even more than Ole has. And despite the flaws of Ole, we could score plenty of goals. We're incapable of scoring goals with ETH.

There is simply no defense for how bad his management has been this season. We ship goals galore in our home defeats. 7 home defeats already. We've a negative GD in the league and UCL. 18 league goals in 16 games. -3 GD in the league. More losses than wins in all competitions. The charisma of a rock. Zero wins away from home vs any half-decent team.

Conman and anyone defending this manager is a giant WUM. Support the club 1st instead of supporting a manager who's not built up anywhere near the goodwill matching the excuses people make for him.
This season he is like an agglomeration of the worst aspects of all the managers we had. As clueless as Ole, as hopeless as Moyes, as boring as LvG, playing a wannabe suicidal gung ho as Rangnick, and falling out with players as Mourinho.

Without any of the good aspects that some of them brought (magic moments of Ole, organization of LvG, defensive form of Mourinho).

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This season he is like an agglomeration of the worst aspects of all the managers we had. As clueless as Ole, as hopeless as Moyes, as boring as LvG, playing a wannabe suicidal gung ho as Rangnick, and falling out with players as Mourinho.

Without any of the good aspects that some of them brought (magic moments of Ole, organization of LvG, defensive form of Mourinho).
It's really true when you think of it, we have just managed to find a manager that combines the worst characteristics of them all. :lol:

Chumpsbechumps

How on earth some of you desperatly keeps defending him is beyond me.
Despite our parasite owners Ten Hag still has had 400m to blow and he sets the training, tactics and the team.
How some of you desperately dont want to understand what we are saying is beyond me.

Lee565

This is even worse than ole's last season, we was even able to qualify out of the ucl group stage that season with a tougher group than the current one, the season has write off written all over it, I don't think we have had a manager post fergie that has weakened us so much with his squad building like eth, he doesn't deserve any say in any future transfers which is also a concern as I could imagine him snubbing such players if they weren't picked by him with current form of falling out with players that he did not recruit.