Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 593 55.0%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 486 45.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Skills

Snitch
I don't get how are fans become pro or anti. I am pro MUFC, always have been. I have seen some awful stuff over the years. ETH seemed like a sensible appointment, at least compared to some of the awful ones, though slight concern that even Spurs rejected him and he was untested outside Holland. Ajax fans said he wasn't great on youth and only wanted to buy players he knew, guess they were correct there. He may have done better in a proper football structure, but he just doesnt seem to have the tactical insight or flexibility to manage a big team. Other than being a loyal fan, what exactly makes you pro ETH? His judgement on players like Antony is so wrong it makes me question his fundamental grip of top level football.
Because our fans are weird. Manager > Club for most of them.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't know, there were massive red flags last season. This was my season review when everyone else was declaring it the greatest season that we'd ever seen by a manager:
That’s a very good review. I was personally happy with the season and with how we learned to consistently beat weaker teams, something we had not been capable of doing in years prior. I did recognize that we could not handle any of the better teams but expected that to improve as quality is added. £200m onwards we are still handsomely beaten by any decent side, even more easily than last year, and we are no longer capable of playing well against poor teams.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The signs have been there for too long now that he doesn't know how to get us playing any kind of decent attacking football.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt when posters were calling me anti Ten Hag for saying so but it has only got worse since March. We scraped top 4 in the end but the trajectory was obvious to me. If we can't score goals we're never going to win enough matches.

IWat

I actually reckon a literal computer could have seen it coming, based off his performances over the entirety of his time at the club. He has been the very definition of inconsistent, so sorry but this is tosh
They can't have been serious surely? Anyone with more than 2 brain cells can see the trend with Rashford.

NLunited

Ask yourselves where this squad should finish at the end of the season, if we had a medium season, based on the squad we have.

Based on the squad I would say 6th or so, now that Sancho, Casemiro, Eriksen and Rashford have fallen off a cliff, and new signings Hojlund and Mount need more time.

Which team has a comparable squad? Chelsea have a better squad imo, look where they are.

NLunited

The signs have been there for too long now that he doesn't know how to get us playing any kind of decent attacking football.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt when posters were calling me anti Ten Hag for saying so but it has only got worse since March. We scraped top 4 in the end but the trajectory was obvious to me. If we can't score goals we're never going to win enough matches.
Yes. We fecking needed a PL top striker, instead we have a young talent and no fecking backup.

gaffs

The issue is we can't play any kind of good football in any areas of the field.

Keeper is prone to huge mistakes.
Defense is leaky.
Midfield is disjointed.
Attack is impotent.

If we were solid at the back and low scoring, it wouldn't be so bad. At least we would have a platform to build off. But we have issues all over the park.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Even worse now as well. 13 out against Liverpool by the looks of things.

None of them important players of course.

But for those of us not relentlessly waffling shite, let's just think about that for a minute, 13 players out and squad sizes are 25. Under 21s help compensate for it a bit but the numbers are ridiculous.
How can you have 13 first team players out ffs :lol:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
That’s a very good review. I was personally happy with the season and with how we learned to consistently beat weaker teams, something we had not been capable of doing in years prior. I did recognize that we could not handle any of the better teams but expected that to improve as quality is added. £200m onwards we are still handsomely beaten by any decent side, even more easily than last year, and we are no longer capable of playing well against poor teams.
The issue wasn't an inability to beat "better" teams. We did that.

The issue was a poor away record against the league's better sides, which obviously looks far worse again when one of those games in a 7-0 defeat to your biggest historical rivals (who we finished ahead of), and when another is 6-3 to your local rivals.

However, if the only games you lose in a season are away from home to the league's better sides, you're not doing too badly (I'm aware we also lost to "lesser" sides).

The issue this season is an inability to beat basically anyone, anywhere, in more than seemingly one-off "okay" performances.

I'm not sure how we've gone from beating City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea, at a combined score of 13-4, to losing at home to Brighton, Crystal Palace and Bournemouth, at a combined score of 1-7, but that's a far bigger issue than losing at the Etihad or Anfield, whatever the scorelines are.

JagUTD

How can you have 13 first team players out ffs :lol:
Look, I don't expect much from some of you but this is getting close to the line.

We have a first team squad. It's made up of 25 players plus no limits on u21 players. We currently have 13 players unavailable for the next game.

I'm guessing you are confusing first team, with starting 11. Different things. One is declared before the season starts and fixed until the end of the Winter transfer window. The other is changeable every game and in game.

Of those 13 players, a number of them are what you would consider starters for us when fit. Others are who you would usually expect to come in if those players were unavailable.

I hope this clears things up for everyone.

uwotm8

The attack he has built is the worst we've seen at United in decades.
I'm not sure if I'm delusional but I still feel that there is potential there. Bruno and Garnacho are high quality players with ability to create. Hoj seems to have potential. Antony is a work horse with very poor end product.

Front four of Garnacho, Bruno, Hoj, Diallo with a functioning midfield behind them has some pace, fluidity and ability between them. Not sure I trust ETH with his 4-1-4-1 McTominay plan though...

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
First team squad? Quite a known concept to be fair.
He replied to a conversation stating we had 10 of our first team out. By saying it’s worse now we have 13 out. The injuries to our best eleven are way over played anyway even while accepting we have a lot of injuries.

onana
AWB Maguire varane shaw (Martinez out)
Mainoo or amrabat (Casemiro out)
Bruno mctominay (Mount out)
Anthony hojlund martial rashford Garnacho

so that’s 3 players out who would probably make the strongest first eleven before Maguire and shaw went off last night

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is a good but long thread detailing our defensive struggles with him, which are 100% down to his tactical setup.

And here's a note in it showing how Ajax had the same sort of issues, only they played in a much weaker league so they could keep confidence high, and the few times they played big games, they approached it full of confidence and with an underdog mentality, so even if they had the odd bad result, the confidence didn't drop. Put the same tactics in a tougher league more often, and you'd see a much different representation of Ajax IMO.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Look, I don't expect much from some of you but this is getting close to the line.

We have a first team squad. It's made up of 25 players plus no limits on u21 players. We currently have 13 players unavailable for the next game.

I'm guessing you are confusing first team, with starting 11. Different things. One is declared before the season starts and fixed until the end of the Winter transfer window. The other is changeable every game and in game.

Of those 13 players, a number of them are what you would consider starters for us when fit. Others are who you would usually expect to come in if those players were unavailable.

You replied to a conversation saying we started the match against Bayern missing ten first teamers by saying we now missing 13.
Rashford
Martial
Case
Erikson
Mount
Martinez
I’m struggling to think who else now. And even out of those I’ve listed only 2 or 3 would have started instead of who we lined up with. As I said above, we may have fringe players injured but it’s not as catastrophic as being made out. Worse now that shaw and Maguire went out against Bayern admittedly

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Also the front of you saying you don’t expect much from others when you’re saying stuff like you’d prefer mctominay to play dm instead of one of our actual players who is a dm. Hard to take you serious too.
I’d love to see how mctominay would get on playing this lone dm role ten hag likes to play

parmenio

For a the pro ETH bunch of saddos. How was Ange able to goto Spurs take over a complete mess. Sell by far their best player and yet he’s completely turned around the team / club. Conte who bizarrely some on here want at United couldn’t make Spurs work. Yet look at the Turn around in what 5 Months ? That shows you what a half decent manager can do. ETH had a decent first season but he’s showing he’s definitely not the man to lead United forward. We need a manager who can inspire players and the fans. Sunday will be horrific. Last night was poor ESP after the home drubbing by the mighty Bournemouth bloody Bournemouth. How many other disasters has he presided over?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
This is a good but long thread detailing our defensive struggles with him, which are 100% down to his tactical setup.

And here's a note in it showing how Ajax had the same sort of issues, only they played in a much weaker league so they could keep confidence high, and the few times they played big games, they approached it full of confidence and with an underdog mentality, so even if they had the odd bad result, the confidence didn't drop. Put the same tactics in a tougher league more often, and you'd see a much different representation of Ajax IMO.

So is this suggesting he is trying to play how his Ajax player? After saying he wasn’t going to do this with us he might now have thought feck it, jobs on the line balls to the wall I’m going for it

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm struggling to find any positive footballing reasons to have any confidence in him.
We press higher? And did press okayish at the start against Bayern last night, even if we do not know what to do with the ball once we win it

DomM

Unfortunately the signings he has made and the apparent complete lack of coaching appears to have set us back a good few years, this mess will take years to sort out.

JagUTD

Also the front of you saying you don’t expect much from others when you’re saying stuff like you’d prefer mctominay to play dm instead of one of our actual players who is a dm. Hard to take you serious too.
I’d love to see how mctominay would get on playing this lone dm role ten hag likes to play
Badly. Very badly.

JagUTD

You replied to a conversation saying we started the match against Bayern missing ten first teamers by saying we now missing 13.
Rashford
Martial
Case
Erikson
Mount
Martinez
I’m struggling to think who else now. And even out of those I’ve listed only 2 or 3 would have started instead of who we lined up with. As I said above, we may have fringe players injured but it’s not as catastrophic as being made out. Worse now that shaw and Maguire went out against Bayern admittedly
Look at our line up last night. There's a good chance every one of those players would have featured if available, either starting or off the bench.

Same against Liverpool and as well as Maguire and Shaw out, Bruno is suspended. Rashford is back though and he'll probably start, not because he deserves it but basically by default.

A better way to look at it is to name the players currently available for the Liverpool game who would be starters if everyone was fit.

Onana
One of Dalot or AWB
Varane
Garnacho or Antony (you'd expect Rashford to play more often than not)
Hojlund.

So 5, less than half the team. Let's add Mainoo as well because he's a genuine talent and alongside better players should be even better. To counter that, Hojlund has no business starting at United right now. But it's not like we are spoilt for choice is it.

So we have a United side with half the starting line up unavailable and of those that are available, up to 3 are under 20.

Come on man, how is that not a major problem? And this has been the case for large parts of the season. The slight glimmer of hope is that we could see a few of them back in the team soon, Bruno is only out for one game and Casemiro and Martinez are apparently back training.