Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 316 41.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 443 58.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That was pretty great from him tbh

Has to be said that Klopp fecked up pretty badly when he subbed Salah for Gakpo
Yeah. One-legged Salah is still posing more threat than that donkey striker they had.

Mindhunter

He will probably still be sacked once top 4 (or 5) is mathematically impossible. But he will always have this with us. Hopefully we can beat Coventry and get to the final. I have almost 0 hope that we will beat City in the final though but still a deep run in the FA cup somewhat mitigates the league position.

RedRocket08

It was more our players showing heart and taking full advantage of Liverpool's sloppiness than tactics but whatever.
Oh come on, we missed our fair share of chances too, 2nd half could've been 2-0 to us so it's fine margins. We went toe to toe with an excellent team today and came out on top, I'd be proud of this team even if we lost 3-2 today.

MinGin

Salah played 90mins at Friday game which win 6-1. This is a mismanagement for a 30s players when you were winning a high score game.
Or Klopp had be confidence to beat us without him :lol: :lol: :lol:

M Bison

Supports
York City
Thought we were the better side and deserved the win. Given the Scousers are playing as well as anyone and it’s widely acknowledged they’re a long way ahead of us, I thought it would be a tough afternoon.

If it wasn’t for that Fulham game we’d be right in the mix for top 4 and potentially heading to a final, fine margins!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

That triple sub of Elliott, Bradley and Gahkpo for Szobozo, Robbo and Salah-o was a mad reducer of ability.

Yet Elliott fluked a deflection in, but was also massively caught for the winner.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hilarious that we scored from a Liverpool corner after it feels like we’ve conceded that goal several times. It was shaky for a lot of the second half, but I thought we played some really good stuff in the first, despite everyone losing their mind over a screenshot.

Easy to critique the tactics when you see the midfield so open, but the players shouldn’t be losing the ball so easily. Liverpool play in a similar way but make it much harder to play through with their press. Thats the next step for this team, play how Liverpool did in the first part of the second half.
Yep, not even the most deluded United fan saw anything but a Van Dijk winner from that corner.

To romp away, look to have lost the moment, and Amad still squeeze that in was amazing.

Blood Mage

Oh come on, we missed our fair share of chances too, 2nd half could've been 2-0 to us so it's fine margins. We went toe to toe with an excellent team today and came out on top, I'd be proud of this team even if we lost 3-2 today.
Oh I'm proud of the team and buzzing with the win, I'll just leave it at that.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That's so weird to me because they seemed totally in control in the second half and it was their final pass that ruined things for them time and time again. That 5 vs 2 opportunity they had summed it up. I don't think Liverpool deserved anything from that game to be clear but I just was convinced we'd collapse as the second half progressed. Even the crowd seemed to feel it and get frustrated.
We missed several close chances and 1 v 1s.

Hojlund was a nose away from one, Rashford at the end. Antony skied a chance, Rashford put another wide early too. So many chances that were better than Liverpools.

Precisely because we pack the box and block usually really well.

I hate that our midfield is so absent but it has worked for us given our limited defence.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hilarious that we scored from a Liverpool corner after it feels like we’ve conceded that goal several times. It was shaky for a lot of the second half, but I thought we played some really good stuff in the first, despite everyone losing their mind over a screenshot.

Easy to critique the tactics when you see the midfield so open, but the players shouldn’t be losing the ball so easily. Liverpool play in a similar way but make it much harder to play through with their press. Thats the next step for this team, play how Liverpool did in the first part of the second half.
Ye Liverpool played exactly how we do. When they went up they have the skill and ability to be able to control games and slow it down yet they played an open game which invited us to keep attacking them which is why we had an end to end game. We do the same when we’re winning. Rather than slow it down we carry on playing open rather than compact. We need to learn to do this.

MinGin

It was more our players showing heart and taking full advantage of Liverpool's sloppiness than tactics but whatever.
Is it a classic anti-sentence " When the game lost, because of ETH's tactic. When the game won, because of players heart" ?

Superunknown

Hope he goes crazy tonight and fills the bath with Amstel and eats a dozen stroopwaffels or whatever he fancies. Chips with all the pindakaas.

Love how rock 'n' roll it was at the end. He gets criticised a lot, so he should fecking milk it tonight.

Dan_F

Ye Liverpool played exactly how we do. When they went up they have the skill and ability to be able to control games and slow it down yet they played an open game which invited us to keep attacking them which is why we had an end to end game. We do the same when we’re winning. Rather than slow it down we carry on playing open rather than compact. We need to learn to do this.
Agree. It took Klopp a while to achieve that. This is Ten Hag’s first season playing this way.

Adamsk7

Went for it today and it paid off. Still have my doubts, like we probably all should, but if he can get everyone fit and starts to take a few more risks, we could actually end the season well. The FA Cup and Champions League is still a (small) possibility

Golden Nugget

Been critical of his subs, but delighted with him today.

It could have gone really bad and it didn’t today - but even if it did, I would have praised him for taking the risk and trying to get the win.

AFC NimbleThumb

Never in doubt ;)

This season feels very similar to LvG's second season. Today was like a much MUCH better version of the 1-1 FA cup draw against West Ham where we fought back for a draw. His subs were great but willpower got us through today. Good path to the final now as well.
Ominous.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Agree. It took Klopp a while to achieve that. This is Ten Hag’s first season playing this way.
Which is why I’d like to give him another season. The players are still fighting for him unlike the previous managers… he’s not toxic in interviews. And he’s shown glimpses of good football… just needs to sort out the midfield situation and have us playing a little more compact.

Gordon S

so he has that in him? Fair fecks! But where has that passion and desire to actually change momentum been before?
we`ve had loads of games where we needed something but showed the desire of a wet piece of paper.
Keep this going now you crazy dutch mf

UDontMessWith24

We missed several close chances and 1 v 1s.

Hojlund was a nose away from one, Rashford at the end. Antony skied a chance, Rashford put another wide early too. So many chances that were better than Liverpools.

Precisely because we pack the box and block usually really well.

I hate that our midfield is so absent but it has worked for us given our limited defence.
A couple of attacks in the first half that just needed a fairly routine ball for a one on one with their keeper as well.

Longshanks

The change in formation worked. 3-4-1-2 or an adaption of with high wing backs and to two DMs gave us the control we hadn't since the first 15 minutes.

Maybe it was accidental, or circumstantial. But it worked a treat for us.

RORY65

The change in formation worked. 3-4-1-2 or an adaption of with high wing backs and to two DMs gave us the control we hadn't since the first 15 minutes.

Maybe it was accidental, or circumstantial. But it worked a treat for us.
Absolutely, who knows whether we will see it again or whether it would work but he's been fairly criticised for systems utilised or changes made that haven't worked well and so he deserves a lot of credit for being creative in his thinking today which helped drag us back into a game that looked lost for quite a while.

Bobski

You could quite easily see the huge flaws in his systematic approach today, the spaces we are asking players to cover is insane, not sustainable. You have fans criticizing the team as lazy during that game because they inevitability blew up after 30 mins, but I don't understand how they don't see the difference between constant 60 yard sprints forward and back and the more controlled, constant lower intensity running that keeping the ball can allow. Covering 13KM in 90 mins is not difficult, reasonable fitness makes that a steady jog, but break that into full gas sprints and the players will gas out and need recovery periods that his approach does not allow.

Utd were fortunate during that second half that Liverpool were so profligate on their breaks.

How does his style work when you are playing more than once a week, especially with his desire to play a settled 11, no wonder so many injuries are occurring, the load is too much.

Last edited:

Get In Scholesy

One screenshot doesnt mean anything. Totally depended on the situation. Besides it is a 4 defenders against 3 attackers situation.
You are right, and if you remember this in real time, it was Mctominay who was supposed to be tracking back but was too busy pointing instead. Throw any body in that gap and its a well executed defensive transition with one player protecting the back 4. This was a failed assignment by a midfield player - not a tactical set up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I enjoyed today. Not at all a fan of 45656776 max output sprints in a first half, but against this opponent, we were playing for our pride and dignity so it’s ok as a one off.

Enjoyed the positive chaos, too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Happy for him at the end. The smile on his face was great to see. Whatever happens to him at the end of the season, whatever thoughts people have of if he's good enough or not, gotta appreciate how much you can tell it genuinely means to him and how happy he gets with the good moments. This one will stick with him forever. Also gotta give credit to him with keeping the players on his side. I wouldn't ever claim that the players have downed tools for him.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Is it a classic anti-sentence " When the game lost, because of ETH's tactic. When the game won, because of players heart" ?
Must be so easy to be a player. Win the game and it because showing heart. Lose a game and it is the tactics of the manager :lol:
Tbf, motivating the players is key of any managers job and today everyone played with their hearts on their sleeves. If we had showed just 70% of the desire we showed today i bet we would been comfortably in the top 4

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

One screenshot doesnt mean anything. Totally depended on the situation. Besides it is a 4 defenders against 3 attackers situation.
I also believe that Dalot read the situation quickly and came across to mark the first attacker. It's not the best of looks but, as you said, we had the numbers (which we usually do) and someone actually acted (which is what often ails us in similar situations). It's also quite interesting that several of the build-up and midfield principles Klopp employed today were similar to the ones ETH gets lambasted for trying to implement. We beat the masters of chaos at their own game!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You could quite easily see the huge flaws in his systematic approach today, the spaces we are asking players to cover is insane, not sustainable. You have fans criticizing the team as lazy during that game because they inevitability blew up after 30 mins, but I don't understand how they don't the difference between constant 60 yard sprints forward and back and the more controlled, constant lower intensity running that keeping the ball can allow. Covering 13KM in 90 mins is not difficult, reasonable fitness makes that a steady jog, but break that into full gas sprints and the players will gas out and need recovery periods that his approach does not allow.

Utd were fortunate during that second half that Liverpool were so profligate on their breaks.

How does his style work when you are playing more than once a week, especially with his desire to play a settled 11, no wonder so many injuries are occurring, the load is too much.
If we are stuck with him in the summer (which seems increasingly likely I think). It's vital that the signings at CB, DM and LB are strong athletes to cover large spaces first of all.