Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 313 41.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 442 58.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Bobby_2024

Which proves that a lot of the performances during this run were still shit, even if the result was good. But for now it's surely better this way than having a bunch of great performances while losing unluckily.
Guys, with the amount limited modern ball controlling players we have and the injuries on top, its not a bad run (9 wins out of 12 and 1 loss..I take it but the worry is about the period before that...Our results were pretty poor...He neeeds to learn how to grind the results while dealing the injuries too)

Overall I would like to give him another year with few better signings.

Mainoo/Amad/Mount/Dalot/Hojilund/Garancho/Lisandro/Shah/Onana.Decent ball playing footballers.
Its not a bad bunch if we add 4/5 quality signings to this.

TomSkalle

We've all seen those games. We were also unfortunate missing many key defenders all season and people want to play that down like it's not abnormal. We were unfortunate in the spurs away game, the arsenal away game but no one gave a shit about that then.

Luck comes and goes, and we weren't as open as you claim just because teams want to take pot shots. We deserve a lot of credit for the form in 2024, like it or lump it.
I mean, i want to be positive about United, i always do, because im a United fan.
But looking at the way we play, the way we create chances, defend, set pieces, style of play etc etc i just cant see it.

Sure ETH has had good games like yesterday, but also some horrible defeats. And im not seeing him doing anything better than Ole TBH.
Yes we have had bad injuries, but that doesnt excuse how we look as a team.
Its there for everyone to see every week.
Its just not sustainable in the long run.

DavelinaJolie

Fair play to Ten Hag for taking some ludacris gambles to win that game. In the end, it was probably the best FA Cup match since a replay at Villa Park in the late nineties.

And yet for that huge chunk of the game between the 30th and 80th minute it was the same exhausting United we'd seen all season, half in and out of springing a trap and blowing out of their arses.

As has been pointed out, we have won most of our games since the turn of the year, yet we rarely look convincing and wouldn't have felt hard done by if a few of those wins had gone the other way.

Let's hope yesterday can be a turning point for the players often fragile mentality and that Ten Hag doesn't overlook the 50 minutes in the middle of the game where his team had not a moment of control.
Agreed. I don't see what was wrong with Crafton's tweet either. It was a win or go home game, ETH made subs that wouldn't happen in most other situations and overwhelmed them with attacking players and somehow Garnacho still had the energy to run the pitch at 120 minutes, it paid off. I don't think we can take anything significant away from it other than it showed some fight from the players and a desire to really try and win a big game and some peripheral/maligned figures showing up with big moments (Amad/Antony).

I will also be charitable and say that it also showed again that we concede a lot of shots, but not a lot of high-quality chances. We still looked non-existent in midfield for a large chunk of the first 90, even though the team started out on fire for the first 30 (which just wasn't sustainable).

Hopefully it's a springboard, but we have said this a couple of times already this season so I remain to be convinced.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I mean who didn’t smile when they saw this.

It’s really hard to not root for him, I’d love it if this was the moment things turned for him and the team.
You can see how determined he is to succeed. He’s had it the hardest this season out of all prem managers. He’s had to deal with a lot of off field stuff aswell as deal with injuries. To be where we are now with the injuries we’ve had should be a credit to him. He tried correcting his mistake from last season against city and Liverpool aswell and went more pragmatic, if only we could have countered better we could have won.

DJ_21

I mean, i want to be positive about United, i always do, because im a United fan.
But looking at the way we play, the way we create chances, defend, set pieces, style of play etc etc i just cant see it.

Sure ETH has had good games like yesterday, but also some horrible defeats. And im not seeing him doing anything better than Ole TBH.
Yes we have had bad injuries, but that doesnt excuse how we look as a team.
Its there for everyone to see every week.
Its just not sustainable in the long run.
The players are still playing for him at least. Could you say that under Ole when Watford smashed us 4-0? Injuries is an excuse 100%. Try getting consistency and a style when you’re changing your line up every week. Pep struggled without Rodri in his team that’s 1 player. We’ve had no defence, attacking players injured, Klopp and Guardiola won’t play the same way if they had as many injuries as us. The first half against wolves is what we should be aiming for. Dominated that half with our strongest 11.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He could have been a lil bitch but he refused and went the opposite way. He went all out even if it means we play with 2 CBs. I prefer that. Life or death situation than playing it too safely and ends up getting screwed anyway.

DJ_21

For people saying he doesn’t change anything or has no clue. He swapped Bruno and Maguire position so Bruno had more time on the ball in defence and Maguire was a constant threat upfront with his aerial ability. Masterclass by ETH

TomSkalle

The players are still playing for him at least. Could you say that under Ole when Watford smashed us 4-0? Injuries is an excuse 100%. Try getting consistency and a style when you’re changing your line up every week. Pep struggled without Rodri in his team that’s 1 player. We’ve had no defence, attacking players injured, Klopp and Guardiola won’t play the same way if they had as many injuries as us. The first half against wolves is what we should be aiming for. Dominated that half with our strongest 11.
Its not about our stongest team or weakest team, its about pattern of play, follow a known system and get the players to relate to that.
All the top clubs do it, we dont, its that simple.
The top clubs will play the same way even if they have alot of injuries, and they may struggle more wich are natural with key players injured, but what they wont do, is lose their composure like we do.

The way we play now is just not sustainable. You can disagree, and think that we will just start playing better with our strongest 11, as im also sure we will, play better, but i dont think it will win us any thropies, other than the odd cup.
What INEO's must do is figure out how to get us up among the top teams again, if that means letting ETH go, im all for it.
That said, if he can start producing anything else than odd good results, im not against him at all, i just cant see that happening based on what i see week in and week out.
Its that simple.

Edit: Cant answer until tomorrow, i have used my daily 5 posts.

Last edited:

astracrazy

If Ineos have already decided behind the scenes to get their own manager in this summer, but then Ten Hag continues this form until the end of the season, it’s going to be a bit awkward now.

Win the FA Cup and get CL football, it still would have been a poor season for 80% of it, but I think he’d deserve the 3rd season. Last year of his contract too, so if it didn’t work then they can just let it expire or replace him cheaply
If we win the FA cup but miss out on the Champions League, it would be a bit ironic for the first big decision INEOS make is a copy of a poor Woodward decision - especially after Jims comments about mistakes in the past.

I honestly think EtH is going to get next season. His contract is up then anyway, so in a way makes sense. He would literally have no excuse next season to not make progress.

stevoc

For people saying he doesn’t change anything or has no clue. He swapped Bruno and Maguire position so Bruno had more time on the ball in defence and Maguire was a constant threat upfront with his aerial ability. Masterclass by ETH
The injury to Bruno might have been a factor in the switch also, he looked like he was struggling with his movement.

mav_9me

Obviously the result is huge but our performance after the 2-2 equalizer was bigger for me. We basically dominated the game, mostly penned them in, 3rd goal was from our pressing. We completely deserved to win the match.

To me that shows we can pin teams inside their half, press and play a high line.

stevoc

If we win the FA cup but miss out on the Champions League, it would be a bit ironic for the first big decision INEOS make is a copy of a poor Woodward decision - especially after Jims comments about mistakes in the past.

I honestly think EtH is going to get next season. His contract is up then anyway, so in a way makes sense. He would literally have no excuse next season to not make progress.
With how Ratliffe and Inoes are going bout things and the money they have pumped into the club I don't think having to pay off the last year of Ten Hags contract will factor into decision making. And if we don't make the CL I'm almost certiain Ten Hag will have minimum performance clauses in his contract that allow the club to sack him for less than a full pay out anyway.

DJ_21

Its not about our stongest team or weakest team, its about pattern of play, follow a known system and get the players to relate to that.
The top clubs will play the same way even if they have alot of injuries, and they may struggle more wich are natural with key players injured, but what they wont do, is lose their composure like we do.

The way we play now is just not sustainable. You can disagree, and think that we will just start playing better with our strongest 11, as im also sure we will, play better, but i dont think it will win us any thropies, other than the odd cup.
What INEO's must do is figure out how to get us up among the top teams again, if that means letting ETH go, im all for it.
That said, if he can start producing anything else than odd good results, im not against him at all, i just cant see that happening based on what i see week in and week out.
Its that simple.
Although I get what you’re saying. But how can you play the same way with different players when it takes certain qualities and abilities to carry out certain roles?

astracrazy

With how Ratliffe and Inoes are going bout things and the money they have pumped into the club I don't think having to pay off the last year of Ten Hags contract will factor into decision making. And if we don't make the CL I'm almost certiain Ten Hag will have minimum performance clauses in his contract that allow the club to sack him for less than a full pay out anyway.
You're missing the main point of my post which was the first paragraph, instead cherry picking two sentences to try and put together an argument.

I doubt INEOS care how much it would cost, but that wasn't my point.

Drainy

Big challenge is keeping the team working hard with the intensity needed to achieve our goals.

It's a serious mentality issue how they put their feet up and relax in a bad way when they think they are on top.

stevoc

You're missing the main point of my post which was the first paragraph, instead cherry picking two sentences to try and put together an argument.

I doubt INEOS care how much it would cost, but that wasn't my point.
Those were the two main parts relevant to my point, I didn't quote them out of context I simply bolded them to highlight them. And I didn't miss your point at all mate, I'm just sharing my opinion and making discussion around the idea that the length of Ten Hag's contract will affect their decision about whether or not to sack him this summer.

Btw I don't think it was even a poor decision from the club to sack Van Gaal back in 2016.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Its that simple.
You can't play the same way stylistically without disruption if your squad players are completely the opposite skillset to your first choice.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He was very animated on the technical area yesterday which was good to see. Making his presence known to the officials.
Showed character.

Xaviboy

All he needs to do is getting the team to play like they did for 1st 20/30 mins for longer and kill games off early. Teams won't stand up to that.

DJ_21

You can't play the same way stylistically without disruption if your squad players are completely the opposite skillset to your first choice.
100%. The point I tried making. Each player has different skill sets and you need certain abilities to carry out certain roles so you can’t play the same way with different players that have different qualities.

RuudTom83

You have to laugh at the eleven that finished the game yesterday...mad bastard!

Attack, Attack, Attack

ReparableTrack0

Well done boss! That’s how you throw a proper kitchen sink 90s Fergie style!
If we somehow win the FA cup or qualifies for Champions league, I hope he gets a chance to continue. There are signs he can put it together. The biggest one for me is bringing through youth. The joy that Mainoo dribble brought yesterday was unmatched. That is what it is all about.
Obviously still getting to grips with the intensity of EPL but even Pep had issues in that regard.

DJ_21

I loved the way we was first 30 mins in yesterdays game. We was all over them. Pressed very well… won every single ball. Created… we’re just missing the clinical side. Mctominay should have put us 2 up. Need to be better at that. Killing games of early and then controlling them

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
But then we just collectively stop. Its bizarre.
It doesn't seem like it takes much for our players to slowly lose confidence when the opposition knock the ball around for a bit.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It doesn't seem like it takes much for our players to slowly lose confidence when the opposition knock the ball around for a bit.
Liverpool were 2-1 up and experienced at killing the tempo. It happened for a 20 minute spell and very tricky for our players to break. However to say we lost confidence is frankly outrageous, we pushed and pushed and got a goal back for it. Then we pressured them to no end for a third until the second half of ET.

Redstain

It was a very good result I didn't think the team were capable of winning so exceeded expectations. I don't think this changes the narrative behind the inconsistencies of this season however. If United win the majority of the next ten league games then that is the hallmarks of a turn around.

Grande

You have to laugh at the eleven that finished the game yesterday...mad bastard!

Attack, Attack, Attack
We should start every game like that.

3-1-3-3

Onana

Dalot Bruno Antony

Eriksen

Rashford Mount Maguire

Amad McTominay Garnacho

If we need to switch up, Mainoo can come in for Eriksen, AwB for Rashford and Casemiro for McTominay, pushing Maguire up to form a striner partnership. When Shaw and Licha are back, they can come in for Onana and Dalot to play in a no 10 triplet alongside Mount in a (0)-2-1-4-3.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The noise around the situation, atmosphere around the squad make me feel like he'll probably stay. Of course, it depends on how the season finishes, but a game like yesterday is what he needed to keep the squad on side, keep fans on side (or get them back) and show the owners and execs that he can still put in a big performance. No clear candidate to take over later, a few other clubs with head starts on the managerial search, might just play into his favor.

Personally, obviously I switched to being extremely critical of him this season after really liking him last season. A lot of his tactical choices are questionable and a lot of our issues for me, are tactical. Of course they can be addressed, and I hope they are. On the ball it can probably work out with just the right personnel so I'd agree that the injuries have killed us in that aspect (the build up play mistakes), though I do also think we need to learn how to implement control especially against lesser teams. We had it last season, not sure why it's all gone this season (it's not injuries for me why we have failed to control some games like Newport, Luton, forest, etc). But generally I think he can coach the "on the ball" stuff quite well.

Where he comes up short for me is the defensive side of things, the off the ball play throughout the team, being a cohesive group back to front. We'll see how we progress with that. If he does get another season, that'll be the key for him to show if he's ultimately the right guy imo.

At the very least, can't claim that it's boring (even if we're a low scoring side on the season but I don't think it's a big problem)

Oldyella

Don't think we lost confidence. We were playing a good side, we were never going to get it all our own way.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Don't think we lost confidence. We were playing a good side, we were never going to get it all our own way.
But its not always against good sides. We've seen similar moments against the likes of Fulham, Bournemouth,Forrest, West Ham etc.
The opposition gets abit of momentum and we slowly crumble.

astracrazy

Those were the two main parts relevant to my point, I didn't quote them out of context I simply bolded them to highlight them. And I didn't miss your point at all mate, I'm just sharing my opinion and making discussion around the idea that the length of Ten Hag's contract will affect their decision about whether or not to sack him this summer.

Btw I don't think it was even a poor decision from the club to sack Van Gaal back in 2016.
I get what you mean, it just wasn't the point I was making. That is all I was getting at.

Yeah I can see why some people would think it wasn't a mistake, but it would be an identical situation. Baring in my mind the comments Jim made about mistakes in the past and good managers being here and failing, I just don't see them doing the same thing as Woodward.

I think they will give him another season knowing at best they can extend his contract, at worst he is going anyway.

I don't think its the money, I think its other priorities this summer and managerial wise it can resolve itself.

stevoc

I get what you mean, it just wasn't the point I was making. That is all I was getting at.

Yeah I can see why some people would think it wasn't a mistake, but it would be an identical situation. Baring in my mind the comments Jim made about mistakes in the past and good managers being here and failing, I just don't see them doing the same thing as Woodward.

I think they will give him another season knowing at best they can extend his contract, at worst he is going anyway.

I don't think its the money, I think its other priorities this summer and managerial wise it can resolve itself.
It was shit the way Van Gaal was sacked, with the press knowing before he did. But despite the FA Cup win he had to go, he'd spent a shit load of money and the team regressed, the football was horrible, we were one of the lowest scorers in the league and he failed to qualify for the CL which ultimately cost him his job. The same could be said for Ten Hag's United this season, if we come 5th and get CL football I think he'll keep his job especially if we win the cup too. But if we finish 6th or lower then I reckon Ineos will just use that as justification for bringing their own man in.

NLunited

Well for some reason the screenshot has triggered you. The previous poster said that no one could possibly criticise Ten Hag today after that win, so I simply shared a screenshot that shows how our team was setup to play against one of the best teams in the league. Does that give the win less value? Does that mean we were absolutely shit? Does that mean I'm unhappy we won? Absolutely no on all counts, but you can't ignore the gaping holes and issues with his tactics. The fact we got control of the game and scored at least 2 of our goals from deep counter positions tells you everything you need to know about how he should be setting up this group of players for the time being, and that my sweet summer child is the entire point.
Wow such a condescending post, after being called out for being sore after an epic win.