Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 160 35.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 292 64.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

stevoc

We Have a Goal Difference of Zero after 28 games let that sink in. We play awful footy under ETH it’s boring. All the teams above us in the league are better managed for sure. He’s 10 league games left of the season let’s see how they play out. Excellent cup win for sure couple of easy games coming up to so momentum should be good. I want him out never hidden that but if he gets top 4 then he may get another chance. His zealots on here are wonderful with the excuses but there is no denying we are a terrible team to watch under ETH.
Awful to watch this season.

If he gets us 4th I reckon he keeps his job this summer. If not and certainly if we miss out on CL football I could see Ineos making a change and bringing their own man in. No doubt there will be a CL clause in the deal he signed that would allow the club to terminate his contract for a lot less than they could at other times.

MegadrivePerson

Awful to watch this season.

If he gets us 4th I reckon he keeps his job this summer. If not and certainly if we miss out on CL football I could see Ineos making a change and bringing their own man in. No doubt there will be a CL clause in the deal he signed that would allow the club to terminate his contract for a lot less than they could at other times.
5th will almost certainly be enough to get Champions League football this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ve had a number of reservations but I want him to start next season. This season has been practically written off due to injuries, but I do feel that it often takes a few years to see a true vision take place, so as long as we can have a decent ending - there’s nobody that inspires me on the market to warrant starting again. Best to have what we hold, add a couple of new players and hope for better luck with injuries.

I’d rather keep him than get Gareth.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I’ve had a number of reservations but I want him to start next season. This season has been practically written off due to injuries, but I do feel that it often takes a few years to see a true vision take place, so as long as we can have a decent ending - there’s nobody that inspires me on the market to warrant starting again. Best to have what we hold, add a couple of new players and hope for better luck with injuries.

Agreed. If he's happy with working with the new structure and focuses on coaching, rather than the recruitment, I think he will be a success here.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I don't get this, why would Berrada, CEO, make decision about Erik, think that would be DOF's job? Or am I wrong?

These guys don't lock themselves up in separate office and cook up plans for the various areas under their purviews all by themselves. Berrada is the head of all operations at the club, and will ultimately be judged on whether or not Manchester United is successful on the pitch. You can be certain that whoever's in the DoF position will be looking to him for approval whe making decisions about who's in the hot seat.

Ratcliffe, on the other hand, is vowing that as an owner, his job is getting the right people into the right seats, and then be hands off when it comes to operations. Which is a sensible separation that's very common in many well run businesses.

Disagree. He’s proven in 2 years that he can’t coach a modern style of play, and does not place emphasis on ball retention.

Naglesmann, Xabi Alonso and De Zerbi are obsessed with the football. There’s three names off the bat.

Bayern, Barca and Liverpool are all in the market. We cannot let them have free runs at these coaches.

luke511

First thing I thought too. Would be the same as letting Ed Woodward choose the manager and transfer targets.
Given the importance of the hiring, the CEO should take responsibility for the decision as much as the DoF. This should prevent critical errors from happening like hiring Southgate. Berrada is lightyears ahead of Woodward so I wouldn't say it's comparable.

Borninthe80ts

The main reason that I want to see him continue is to see if he can build on the use of the academy.

We have already seen the benefits of how he has integrated Garnacho, Mainoo and Kambwala into the squad and I think we have another wave he has identified.

He has a core of players that can play the system he likes with a few additions. I maintain that we did improve in build up play and creating chances last season but lacked consistency and confidence. I’m hoping for an injury free squad for him to pick from next season.

Dan_F

Given the importance of the hiring, the CEO should take responsibility for the decision as much as the DoF. This should prevent critical errors from happening like hiring Southgate. Berrada is lightyears ahead of Woodward so I wouldn't say it's comparable.
If what is being suggested about a “head coach” being the preferred option then no, I don’t see why the CEO would be taking responsibility. Of course they would be signing off on it and taking ultimate accountability, but from a purely tactical point of view for a head coach, I wouldn’t trust him any more than Woodward. That’s why he’s chosen the guy with football knowledge, Ashworth.

Areas he can impact on are things like cultural fit, but from a pure football perspective, the headline is misleading at best.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I don't get this, why would Berrada, CEO, make decision about Erik, think that would be DOF's job? Or am I wrong?

I don’t think you’re necessarily “wrong”, I just think the role of DoF differs from club to club. For example, Edu works alongside Arteta at Arsenal, not above him. They have different remits. Also, both their roles have been expanded since they joined (Edu from Technical Director to Sporting Director and Arteta from Head Coach to Manager).

They’ve been given more authority as they’ve proven themselves. So if either one were to suddenly leave at the end of the season, the one that remained would have more of a power base than whoever we hired. For example, Edu would be consulted about a new Manager hire and Arteta would have to be happy working with whoever became our new Sporting Director. And the final approval would probably come from our Managing Director and Board.

The exact model differs from club to club. You’re correct in that there are definitely clubs where the DoF hires the Head Coach. United may not be one of them, though.

Cessna

Well, after the huge investment in the "team", sacking a manager, then sacking the next will be peanuts.

Moriarty

I'd like to see what ETH can do with the youngsters he's bringing through. He's got his faults and he's dropped some almighty clangers but, to his credit, he has an eye on youth and that has to be the way forward for United. The odd big buy is all well and good but our own academy should be a priority. We want the best kids coming to us, not City.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
First thing I thought too. Would be the same as letting Ed Woodward choose the manager and transfer targets.
Not really. With Ed he had no idea what he was doing. Omar has been doing this for years.

Stig

Well, my newsfeed today said that it's definitely not Gareth Southgate but now it DEFINITELY is THOMAS FRANK.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The main reason that I want to see him continue is to see if he can build on the use of the academy.

We have already seen the benefits of how he has integrated Garnacho, Mainoo and Kambwala into the squad and I think we have another wave he has identified.

He has a core of players that can play the system he likes with a few additions. I maintain that we did improve in build up play and creating chances last season but lacked consistency and confidence. I’m hoping for an injury free squad for him to pick from next season.
Agreed. I actually think the future looks bright for us looking at the youth talent we have. Mainoo has been a revelation and I think in many ways he has set the modern day Post- Sir Alex standard on youth quality.
Good times are coming!

stevoc

It reads more like Inoes are leaving a footballing decision upto the new CEO and DOF once they are in position. Ineos may well have no thoughts on the sacking of ETH but Berrada and Ashworth might.

Laurencio

It reads more like Inoes are leaving a footballing decision upto the new CEO and DOF once they are in position. Ineos may well have no thoughts on the sacking of ETH but Berrada and Ashworth might.
With all the changes to management it was never likely that Ten Hag would be sacked before the end of the season anyway. I think the big question facing them this summer is whether or not they believe in Ten Hag enough to extend his contract. Either they extend his contract or they sack him IMO. Maybe they are waiting to see how he does with top 4 and the FA Cup, and whomever else is available. They might not have any plans to sack him, but they need to decide whether or not to extend his contract.

Given the situation it is basically untenable for him to manage an entire season with no deal in place and a contract that expires in the summer of 2025. He'll be fielding questions about the club's confidence in him weekly with no extension, and that is just detrimental to the team, recruitment and stability of the club. That's a nightmare situation for everyone involved. INEOS creates a situation of chaos at the start of their rebuild, Ashworth's decision making is questioned and Ten Hag is basically fighting for his job weekly. They might not have any plans to sack him, but I doubt they have any plans to extend his contract.

So the real question is; will Berrada and Ashworth want to give Ten Hag a new contract on the back of this season?

foolsgold

Part of the issue is his contract situation, he'll only have 12 months left at the end of the season. Under normal circumstances he's either be renewing or moving him on. I don't think it's particularly common to let managers to go into the last year of their contract due to the destabilising effect, their authority bleeds away every day.

If the choice is a 2 year extension or firing him, I think firing him is the safer choice.

MileStolar

Agreed. I actually think the future looks bright for us looking at the youth talent we have. Mainoo has been a revelation and I think in many ways he has set the modern day Post- Sir Alex standard on youth quality.
Good times are coming!
I don't think it's realistic to expect any new talents to be of the same standard though. Kobbie became integral part of the midfield so quickly, even when compared to the actual big money signings of the past that were supposed to walk straight into our starting eleven.

I feel like Garnacho is a better template for the upcoming youngsters, being someone who took time from being a part time player to forcing his way into the team over a course of a season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Part of the issue is his contract situation, he'll only have 12 months left at the end of the season. Under normal circumstances he's either be renewing or moving him on. I don't think it's particularly common to let managers to go into the last year of their contract due to the destabilising effect, their authority bleeds away every day.

If the choice is a 2 year extension or firing him, I think firing him is the safer choice.
It happens all the time and some of the greatest club seasons were played in this scenario. It indeed is not usual, but it happens.

I also think that the factor of "authority bleeding away" is overstated a lot, but that's understandable because in case of United it probably would be true. The club structure (DoF and whoever is there and stays when the manager leaves) has to be in a position where they can keep players accountable long term and make it clear that they will support the manager until the last day. Essentially all this "new manager means a clean slate for everyone" has to become bullshit, than you won't have any trouble with authority.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I find it disrespectful how we’re being linked with every manager even though ETH job is secure at the minute. The same happened with LVG before the fa cup final. Why not focus on Liverpool, Barca and Bayern who you actually know need new managers.

Laurencio

It happens all the time and some of the greatest club seasons were played in this scenario. It indeed is not usual, but it happens.

I also think that the factor of "authority bleeding away" is overstated a lot, but that's understandable because in case of United it probably would be true. The club structure (DoF and whoever is there and stays when the manager leaves) has to be in a position where they can keep players accountable long term and make it clear that they will support the manager until the last day. Essentially all this "new manager means a clean slate for everyone" has to become bullshit, than you won't have any trouble with authority.
Very rarely would that happen under a new regime or when coming off the back of a season that most would consider a bit of a failure though.

I find it disrespectful how we’re being linked with every manager even though ETH job is secure at the minute. The same happened with LVG before the fa cup final. Why not focus on Liverpool, Barca and Bayern who you actually know need new managers.
Because Liverpool, Barca and Bayern combined do not generate half as much traffic as Man Utd does.

Dan_F

Not really. With Ed he had no idea what he was doing. Omar has been doing this for years.
He’s undoubtedly been a part of a successful leadership team over the last six years. For the most part, he wasn’t a decision maker when it came to the football side of things. He’s a business guy who works in football, dealing with finance and then for the last 3 years dealing with big picture stuff around growing the whole city group.

The whole reason we’re bringing in Ashworth is to improve decisions like who the manager is. Berrada has quite literally never experienced a manager change at a football club before, unless you’re counting Barcelona when he ran sponsorship. I would question the point of a director of football if he doesn’t trust him to source the right manager.

Speako

They seem to be making it fairly clear, that they want a Head Coach in place leading the team, rather than a Manager in the mould of SAF who had control over a number of facets. ETH struck me as someone who was almost demanding a high level of autonomy at United prior to taking the role. It'll be interesting to see if he now changes that stance to remain in situe.