Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 416 47.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 459 52.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

fergies coat

What's going? I mean surely him and the coaching staff must of had conversations about conceding too many shots, and being dominated in every game. Yet nothing changes and it's the same tactics every game. Him and his coaching staff can't be this stupid. They clearly know about football. I really don't understand what's happening.

city-puma

Felt like he knows it’s coming to an end tonight. Players just weren’t arsed and there was no gameplan (as per), or the players had no interest in carrying it out, if there was one. All the noise over the international break has got to him and the players, I think. They know he hasn’t done enough. That’s also top 4/5 done now, you’d say, so there is a very good chance this is the last 8 weeks for ETH. That performance, like most this season, was woeful. In fact, that was our worst performance of the season and that’s saying something.
I don’t agree this is the worst. This is one of so many which are so bad and become normal.

sepulturite

On a different note, I'm concerned by the way hes looking these days. He was twitching like a madman on the touchline and looked ill.
I noticed towards the end that he didn't seem to look well, had massive black circles under his eyes.

FortunaUtd

I feel like him saying his United team aren’t going to play like his Ajax team was an ill-advised thing to say and he lost a lot of fans with it. A lot of the reason why we wanted you was for how that Ajax team played.

Every manager post-Ferguson seems to have some fecking quote that none of the fans want to hear from the manager and it ends up putting nails in their coffins.
It was indeed the nail in the coffin for me. However not simply for being just a quote, but a quote confirming what I was afraid of - that the football we are seeing is actually the football he wants us to play.

Eddy_JukeZ

Our underlying metrics are all awful.

I don't think some realize just how abysmal we've been this season.

ETH's management this season is deplorable in so many ways. If you swapped him with Moyes, I highly doubt we'd be worse off. That's how bad he's been this season.

That performance might have been the single worst performance in the post SAF era. It was that bad.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Ok, that's the very slim chance of top 5 almost gone. It's the hope that kills you :(
True although we’d probably be out of the CL pretty quickly even if we got in. I just hope we remain out of the Europa too. This team needs a domestic focus first to get their tactics and strategy right. A new manager should be on the list too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Enough about Ten Hag. We know his level. All eyes should be on Sir Jim and Ineos now. If this
guy is still at the club next season, it will tell me all I need to know about them.
I think this period was to be his audition for the job. I think he's already blown it and they'll be going full speed ahead looking at replacements.

Dannn411

Beyond fecking clueless. If the alternatives weren't Potter or Southgate I'd drive the cnut to the airport myself.
I am still against Southgate as the replacement but if that is what it comes down to then it has to be done. Anybody with one functioning braincell of footballing knowledge would do better than this clown has done with £400m to spend.

PoTMS

I genuinely reckon a few of us random posters would be able to get at least 4/5 shots against these lot.

Dazzmondo

Ole til end of season? (Not kidding) Would give our backroom team time to make sure we get the right choice for manager in the summer

city-puma

What's going? I mean surely him and the coaching staff must of had conversations about conceding too many shots, and being dominated in every game. Yet nothing changes and it's the same tactics every game. Him and his coaching staff can't be this stupid. They clearly know about football. I really don't understand what's happening.
I guess he believes the system and think it will gradually work out if we can continue winning games. It’s a gamble I think.

Ace of Spades

I still think he’s a great coach. What we saw at Ajax was everything we wanted, he ticked every box.

Yet currently we’re playing like a bunch of individuals that met for the first time in the tunnel.
We hoped he was a great coach, so far he looks like a clueless clown.

Not the first time a manager will have shined at one club but failed elsewhere.

Need to be ruthless and proactive, and have higher standards.

Bobski

Years from now his stats in terms of win percentage probably will not look bad at all but this is the most baffling approach to playing football from any supposed top coach I have ever seen.

That feels hyperbolic but I can't think of a stronger example, even Bielsa had better structure.

Southgate would at least play a midfield.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
The reputation of his Ajax side is a myth.

They had one run in the CL where they had a group of very exciting young players coming through.

When he rebuilt Ajax after that season they played some of the worst football ever seen in the Eredivisie and played a very similar haphazard style we do now and were run close for the league and won it by luck alone.

He is completely out of his depth and should have been sacked in January.

It’s not a stretch to compare him to De Boer who was seen as a messiah at Ajax before he left and completely failed in the next few clubs he went to.

Do not hire managers from the Dutch league.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Putting a bit of perspective onto things

- ETH has been at United for 23 months now
- Spent a big amount of money
- Had 9/11 starters starting today
- played one of the worst teams in the league, arguably the worst on form and got our backside kicked
- 0 goal difference after 29 games , 40 goals

- 8 points off 5th
- 4th in the group in CL

We have no real style, are one of the most lethargic teams in the league

please tell me one good reason to keep him

L1nk

Nobody can watch that and think we are going anywhere, it's the Liverpool match that's the one off, not this.

Get Nagelsmann in, i'm totally serious

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Absolutely. Or else we will.miss out on the Champions league 100%. Also need to send a message that crap managers will be sacked.
New champions league format and we will be absent.
I don't expect him to last here if we lose the next two, and I kinda expect us to lose the next two. I wouldn't expect an interim manager to get us into CL now that both Villa and Spurs won and we dropped 2 points with the most demoralising performance of the season. I think the CL is gone now.

Abhinav

Not sure if it’s even stubbornness or just a basic lack of an alternative plan or idea.
It’s stubbornness that he insists on pushing two midfielders right up leaving massive gap in the midfield. There has been ample evidence that this has not worked at all this season and yet he persists with the suicidal tactics.

CM

Is there anyone out there still defending him? 8 months of suicide ball has taken it out of me

Walters_19_MuFc

That bolded part (reputation of a good coach he got at Ajax) seems to be the reason some people still believe in ETH. I can't believe anyone watching United games for the past year seriously considers him as a good coach though. We've seen enough.
He's also confirmed he can't get us playing like Ajax, so it begs the question as to what is the point of having him here?

FortunaUtd

I think this period was to be his audition for the job. I think he's already blown it and they'll be going full speed ahead looking at replacements.
I think so too. He is a dead man walking, will be gone in summer. I assume everyone at the club will have the same feeling or even knowledge.

soapythecat

Tonight and the stats that confirm how poor we are around shots faced should be his final mail in the coffin. End of season and go. No one who watches us will expect anything beyond 6-8th based on performances. Coventry will be more than happy getting us rather than the other two.

redom

The fact we don't seem to have done anything to address the issue of the opposition having a billion shots a game is particularly galling, especially when it's not like we've made headway in other areas.

hobbers

Is there anyone out there still defending him? 8 months of suicide ball has taken it out of me
His defenders are currently locked in crisis talks trying to figure out another excuse that justifies conceded 30+ shots against the worst form team in the league.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We hoped he was a great coach, so far he looks like a clueless clown.

Not the first time a manager will have shined at one club but failed elsewhere.

Need to be ruthless and proactive, and have higher standards.
I’m not even defending him really, I was earlier in the season when our injuries were insane. But we’ve got most of them back now, no midweek games and plenty of time on the training pitch. And it’s just terrible stuff every week. Which is mad when you consider what he was at Ajax.

I’m looking around at the options if we did decide to replace Ten Hag - and there isn’t really anyone, in a time when the likes of Liverpool and Bayern are already after a new coach. I think if Ten Hag was still at Ajax, and we were in this current situation with another manager - he’d be at the top of our list! Which makes me think we should just keep him.

Then I watch a game like that…

Irwin99

Didn't even see the game but I hear it was the same old story. Very hard to stick with the manager with these results.

I will say yet again it's another game with a LOT of the old guard playing (AwB, Lindelof, Mctominay, Rashford, Bruno, even Dalot who has been good this season)- six players starting who will be onto their next new United manager in the summer most likely. Regardless of whether he stays as manager we do need a serious think of where we're going with these players and what type of football we want to play and do they have the right profile etc.

stevoc

Regardless of what happens this season I don’t think he goes. Can we really afford 2 lots of competition? He’s out of contract at the end of next season anyway so assess over the next 6 months and then make a decision. With inspiring replacements like Southgate and O’Neill mooted I’d rather stick for the timebeing and hope we can get some consistency of selection, as more than anything this is what ETH needs - his core group to be available and not sat on the treatment table like they’ve been for the majority of the season
What sort of message would it send to go into next season with a manager at the helm who's contract is expiring and the club weren't willing to extend it over the summer? How would that be good for the managers authority?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Brentford have lost 14 games this season but I knew they'd get something today against a team with CL ambitions... We can make anyone look good. ETH is not a top manager, anyone can see that.
*17 lost in the league. Before tonight they had lost 14 of their last 18 PL games and conceded something like 2.2gpg which gave them the worst record in Europe's top 5 league during that span.

It's barely acceptable as a one-off to be outplayed by a team that poor, but this has been happening so frequently it's gotten to the point now where we're used to it. We're so, so easy to play against.

simmee

Hopefully we have the woodward-special so we can sack him without/for less compensation when we fail to get CL.

It's criminal that we have to resort to hoof and inshallah against fecking Brentford. And that he still hasn't figured out that we are completely open in midfield. It's like he's setting up the team as a top 4 team that's going to dominate the ball but with the hoofball tactics of a team fighting relegation.

Bwuk

I think it’s mental that people want to keep him because they are worried about who would replace him.

Id rather have Ole back and supported by INEOS than persist with Ten Hag.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I definitely don't want Southgate but I also doubt he'd have us playing worse.