Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 478 50.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 49.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I know and to be honest it's been evident from the start of the season but a lot of people had their hopes on Mount and X and Y coming back from injury... I'd hoped he would adapt and learn but its been same old same pretty much. I think we played better football last year but as he's had more time with the team he has gone in a direction that doesn't really make sense considering our players and those we brought in. I think he's fecked
He’s too stubborn to admit he’s made an error. That style is never going to come good in the PL, not too stubborn to change

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The issue with that logic is that the people who use it only apply it when the chaos goes against us. Moments that result in us scoring goals? Well that's just part of the plan, of course.

They can't have their cake and eat it.
Yeah exactly my point. Win that game and it’s not really because we were good or that he set us up well. All our games are 50/50 at best, we’ve had maybe 4 league games where we genuinely deserved to win, even when facing poor teams we still largely leave it up to luck. We have way more points than we should but it is slowly regressing back to the mean anyway.

EI Beatle

i'm done... he said on tnt '''the quality of our football is really high''

crossy1686

career ending
The knee jerkers basically called this early on. The signs were there all season with no signs of improving. Unsustainable football all season with now a record amount of defeats which we all predicted would happen
He wants to sidestep any jibes that might come his way now he’s finally ready to accept the manager is massively out of his depth. It’s been obvious since last season and he’s been in here every day fighting his corner, now he doesn’t want to talk about it all of a sudden.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Can we stop with the I told you so stuff. Everyone is annoyed about United being so bad so no point rubbing it in just because someone thought that ETH would turn it around

Unam333

No Actually we stopped playing and didn't have a single shot after 67th minute. Took off Hojlund, Case and Garnacho our arguably better players. We still kept conceding chances after 3-2 and felt like a matter of time before they will score, they kept getting soo much space in the pockets and ran at defence soo many times. Lastly before the deflected goal they had 4 vs 2 attack and we barely escaped conceding moments earlier.

We are just a very shit side, who has been set up in a weird manner and football matches become basketball. Plus they players can't keep the ball if their life is dependent on it and they are soo dumb its unbelievable. Sack this shit of a manager and these worthless players.
Hojlund and Casemiro deserved to be subbed off, especially Casemiro. Both didn't have a good game.

Judas

Open to offers
Whatever one thinks of Ten Hag does anyone seriously trust that current group of flaky United players to suddenly turn things around and be consistently competitive and quit the habit of losing matches as in the manner they did tonight?
No, but some do oddly enough, making the same laughable mistake as they did under the previous managers. Some of these key players who have survived previous regimes have to be questioned and mostly all should be gone.

Roboc7

Hes also shown quite clearly he's not very adaptable.

I've been vocal in backing him and put my reasoning on the line - injuries to key personnel. But when he can field two full backs and two center backs, whilst keeping his striker options on the pitch, I'm expecting performances.

He hasn't delivered it, and there's no excuse for it. We're still open, it's still chaos and no win is convincing. It's all really terrible, bit of a nightmare.
It was a reasonable assumption that players returning would make a difference. Unfortunately for whatever reason ETH serves up the same shit show whoever he has available, I’m genuinely baffled how he keeps repeating the same mistakes and I have no idea what he actually does that is of any use.

If anything the big injury list was just a distraction from the complete disaster he has been all season and a convenient excuse.

Drainy

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag, speaking to TNT Sports: "Yes we started poor, kicking the ball away and defending poorly.

"But you saw we were dominating the game and it was brilliant how we played - we deserved to win the game.

"But, you cannot give it away like we did and we have to manage this game better.

"It is a team performance, you can point to one of the players but it is about team performance.

"When it gets chaotic you have to deal with it as a team and we made the wrong decisions and we didn't help out as a team.

"Out of possession we made bad decision - a lack of concentration.

"Also, I think lucky at the end with the penalty situation, questionable and very soft but we have to do better."

On shots conceded: "It is ridiculous. We showed we were fourth ranking goals in conceding and everyone is talking to each other after, we are good and we have good defending as a team and a good goalkeeper so I cannot do nothing."

On Raphael Varane and Jonny Evans fitness: "I cannot say at this moment."

On the result: "Definitely a setback and now we have to deal with this and get up - we are resilient and you have seen that today.

"The quality of our football is really high, but football is about results and you have to bring it over time."
Surely he knows how crap we are??

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He wants to sidestep any jibes that might come his way now he’s finally ready to accept the manager is massively out of his depth. It’s been obvious since last season and he’s been in here every day fighting his corner, now he doesn’t want to talk about it all of a sudden.
I want to side step jibes that come my way? I've quoted a few head on mate. I just won't get pulled into circular debates when I'm exhausted from a defeat. Be an adult about it and move on.

gaffs

He has...
no charisma.
talks shit in interviews and press conferences.
no idea tactically, certainly nothing we see translated onto the field
signings have been largely terrible.
fallen out with multiple players
players don't seem to believe in him
his team cant keep fit
has lead us to some of the most embarrassing defeats of our history

No reason to keep this guy in the job any more.

united for life

Nor me. For the first time ever, I have no excitement, no looking forward, no faith. It's the worst season I can remember, and I'm assured that we played better in the year we were relegated.
No excitement that’s for sure. It’s beyond that. I’m worried about us against bigger teams. Can you imagine our game against Liverpool? They would want to prove a point after their defeat in the FA Cup. It’s going to be ugly. Szoboszlai and Mac Allister in midfield running freely in front of our defenders. Will be embarrassing

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We’ve been involved in more 4-3’s this season than the last 10 years put together*.

We’re chaos merchants, and it simply isn’t sustainable. The manager has to take a chunk of the blame for that.

With that said, he’s been handed a brand new shit sandwich every week. The stuff he’s had to deal with is unprecedented. Surely it can’t be this bad next season, if we let him see out his last year…?

*could be bullshit, but it sounds like it could be true

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
No excitement that’s for sure. It’s beyond that. I’m worried about us against bigger teams. Can you imagine our game against Liverpool? They would want to prove a point after their defeat in the FA Cup. It’s going to be ugly. Szoboszlai and Mac Allister in midfield running freely in front of our defenders. Will be embarrassing
Just forget the season already, its done.

Less than 2 months to go, erase the memory.

leontas

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag, speaking to TNT Sports: "Yes we started poor, kicking the ball away and defending poorly.

"But you saw we were dominating the game and it was brilliant how we played - we deserved to win the game.

"But, you cannot give it away like we did and we have to manage this game better.

"It is a team performance, you can point to one of the players but it is about team performance.

"When it gets chaotic you have to deal with it as a team and we made the wrong decisions and we didn't help out as a team.

"Out of possession we made bad decision - a lack of concentration.

"Also, I think lucky at the end with the penalty situation, questionable and very soft but we have to do better."

On shots conceded: "It is ridiculous. We showed we were fourth ranking goals in conceding and everyone is talking to each other after, we are good and we have good defending as a team and a good goalkeeper so I cannot do nothing."

On Raphael Varane and Jonny Evans fitness: "I cannot say at this moment."

On the result: "Definitely a setback and now we have to deal with this and get up - we are resilient and you have seen that today.

"The quality of our football is really high, but football is about results and you have to bring it over time."
If he thinks the quality of the football was high then the man is fully delusional. Would also explain why he’s not changing his suicidal tactics. He needs to go ASAP.

Oranges038

I'm saying they've never done it, aren't coached to do it for the initial 90 minutes, so why would I expect them to do so now? I understand what you're saying but we've literally NEVER done it.
You really shouldn't have to be coached to see a game out at that level. Player intelligence is the problem there, not coaching. Too many players will poor intelligence, technique and compoure.

You can coach a lot, but you can't coach brains.

Atheist

This guy is a massive troll. Thinks we dominated game despite conceding 25+ shots on goal.

NWRed

It was a penalty. Dalot should have taken him out on the wing.
It was a penalty only in the sense that it was given, but it shouldn't have been. The 'contact' that apparently knocked him over, if it happened at all, happened because Dalot was falling himself. The 'tap' on his boot, again if it happened at all, did not have any effect on his balance or his ability to play the ball.

The first penalty was even less of a penalty, how there wasn't a full review of that is absurd. There is no point in VAR if it's going to let nonsense decisions like that go.

emperortan

Could anyone please explain to me why Ten Hag substituted Casemiro out for useless-in-middle-McTominay when defense was needed, while keeping the number of attackers? Why not increase the number of midfielders and defenders to maintain the scoreline?

stevoc

It’s mostly his squad. We can’t keep blaming the players season after season. Why don’t we admit we’ve fecked up with our management choices since fergie, and had a rotten structure to compound it
Yeah it's like a broken record at this stage. The players are partly at fault but a manager can't be excused from any blame fro this clusterfeck of a season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes knee jerk reactions tend to have a lottery of being right sometimes and wrong sometimes. What's your point.
That it was obvious from last season that ETH was failing to address problems. We kept hearing about the carabao cup win as some sort of proof that he knows what he's doing. We even had the rather bizarre 20 minute spell against Tottenham being lauded as more proof that he's the man to lead the club.

The club has barely deserved to win any games that they have won, so many wins have been a struggle with a nonexistent midfield and individuals bailing him out.

It seemed so glaringly obvious that he's been out of his depth for some time.

Hughie77

I was all for keeping him for another season and he may well do.. but something smells wrong and I think he's a gonner, internal rumblings about Ineos wanting there own man etc etc..

His football in last 3 games has been so open it's unbelievable, it's like he's gone I've picked 11 now just go and play..? Rashford has gone mentally not there.. maybe it's better for everyone he goes.. maybe ETH is thinking the same he's gone..

abailey123

He’s gone from looking fresh last season to having noticeable bags under his eyes. This club destroys managers. When Ten Hag leaves and goes on to win more trophies elsewhere, we’ll be sat wanting him as our next manager when whoever next fails!
The manager market is absolutely dire this year, if the options are potter or Southgate - I’m sticking every day of the week with Ten Hag!

always_hoping

What exactly do they need to turn around? They’re doing the running, they’re scoring goals, they’re giving it effort but the team is set up with no midfield and concedes 30 shots a game. Maybe just fix that and we’ll be alright?
Tonight wasn't the first time this season the players on the field needed to roll up their sleeves deliver leadership and character to close it out and win the game.

I don't expect things to turn around without a clear out and that will require a few transfer windows so no quick fix.

MDFC Manager

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes to TNT Sports:
"In the last games we've conceded too many shots. It's about defending your box.
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag, speaking to TNT Sports:
Where are all the enlightened posters suggesting that the high shots conceded was actually a tactic and it's fine doing so? :lol:

Look-a-Hill

Feel like I've turned the corner and become Ten Hag out. Literally zero redeemable qualities left.
I feel similar. I don't even care anymore. I was a big fan of his talk about people earning their place, and you only get chances if you deserve them, but we've seen that doesn't really apply. I'd be happy for him to upset a few more of the babies in the team to encourage them to leave in the summer, but he should be joining them.

Blood Mage

Can we stop with the I told you so stuff. Everyone is annoyed about United being so bad so no point rubbing it in just because someone thought that ETH would turn it around
You've not been paying attention to how annoying some of the ETH in people have been.

Last edited:

Dan_F

It's all cumulative though. I mean how many times did Palmer get to the edge of our box today with no proper closing down? We now spend so much of the time in every game manically defending the six yard box like heroes, throwing in blocks, last second tackles, desperate clearances and that mentally and physically fatigues everyone more than they otherwise would be.
I thought Palmer was pretty well closed down at most points, apart from the the goal. We do concede a lot of deflected goals, which is definitely due to manically trying to block shots like you say.

I’m in agreement that generally throughout the game, ten hag is getting a lot wrong. The pressing isn’t working well enough to play how we’re trying, and we lose the ball too often for it too.

I’m not having it at all that the players are fatigued due to tactics and so they are conceding late goals. These lads will concede straight after scoring, early in halves, late in halves, whenever you think “you cannot concede now”, they concede. It’s mental.

gaffs

I dont appreciate these silly jibes that some fans are slow. A lot of fans chose to give Ten Hag more patience than others, but patience isn't unlimited. That's all.
Fair. Nothing wrong with supporting the manager.

But the amount of time you have defended him, jeez. You could have probably studied for and obtained a Master's Degree!

Maybe you will get an honorary one at the University of Twente, NL!

AndySmith1990

"It was for the neutral an amazing game. A fantastic football game with a lot of quality."

Quality? You're not in the Dutch league anymore

"Manchester United dominated the game but we made individual errors that cost us the game."

Dominated? Less possession, less shots, less corners. Less touches. Less passes. Less chances. Plonker

"We have to learn from it. When you are a Man Utd player you should already know how to deal with this circumstance."

That's why you coach players, so they know what to do in every situation. Obviously they don't know how to deal with it because it keeps happening.

"I enjoyed how my team were playing, it was fantastic. We dominated the ball, we dominated the opponent."

As delusional as a fecking flat earther

"In five days we dropped five points. That is unacceptable. We should have a high standard if we want to compete for Champions League football."

We should have higher standards? Finally something we agree on. That's why we must sack you ASAP