Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 490 51.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 467 48.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The thing that perplexed me the most was when he came out and said he couldn't play like Ajax because we don't have the players for it. So fecking what! Shouldn't a manager who has a system, stick to it? Implement it no matter who is in the club i.e. Spurs? I mean surely even ETH has a good idea who is going to stay and what players will be shipped off. I'd rather give up goals and lose with a high back line than leaving Case/Mainoo out to dry in the midfield trying to cover all that space.
Basically undermined his own case for being here in the most efficient way.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Moyesy No where near good enough for a top 4 club
Giggs No comment
Louis Van Ghoul Was way past it when he joined us
Mourinho Was also on his way down, was also rubbish at every other club after us
Solskjear Obvioulsy no where near good enough
Carrick No where near good enough for a top 4 club
Ragnick Look at him now.
Ten Hag
(yes some were only managing for a few months)

In the end none of these managers could get the team performing well over any significant period. I'm not saying ETH is the answer. But unless we gut the team, i don't think the next manager will get a tune of them either.
It’s funny how we all know this but as soon as the cycle starts up people just revert to thinking the issue is the coach. The easiest and quickest change is the manager but, as your list proves, it really makes no difference because there is so very obviously something, probably multiple things, not right behind the scenes.
Don't agree.

We haven't had a single top manager post SAF. Facts. What has any of those managers achieved after managing us? Nothing.

Moyesy : Nowhere near good enough for a top 4 club.
Giggs: No comment.
Louis Van Ghoul: Was past it when he joined us, what did he achieve after us?
Mourinho: Was also on his way down as manager when he joined us, was also rubbish at every other club after us.
Solskjear: Obvioulsy nowhere near good enough for a top 4 everybody knows this.
Carrick : Nowhere near experienced enough for a top 4 club needs no explaining
Ragnick Has achieved nothing as manager anywhere.

So this squad hasn't been managed even once by a top manager since SAF yet. They were all very bad choices.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Newcsl and Chelsea have been shit this year. Otherwise wed' be in 8th i reckon.
Brighton have also had a bad year. They lost Mac Allister and Caicedo without really replacing them adequately and then also lost March for season, Mitoma for several months and have struggled marrying Europa League with the league for the first time ever. They will improve.

We would be below all of them already this year if we weren’t very lucky in so many games anyway.

city-puma

Ole is a dreadful manager. If he wasn't an ex player he wouldn't have gotten the job in a million years. The fact that people still try to convince themselves he did a good job is beyond funny.

He's really been in demand since.
You know what? I think you are a clown, really. Talking such a nonsense still nowadays, you are helpless.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Exactly. No one has been able to explain why.

I remember an earlier excuse was that it was affecting performances having the ownership situation unresolved. Again nothing that affects day to day training and match day tactics.
The structure helps bring in better players who suit the demands. It helps us identify them better, replace quicker and in theory secure more of what we need.

Better suited players = better football.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Don't agree.

We haven't had a single top manager post SAF. Facts. What has any of those managers achieved after managing us? Nothing.

Mourinho: Was also on his way down as manager when he joined us, was also rubbish at every other club after us.

So this squad hasn't been managed even once by a top manager since SAF yet. They were all very bad choices.
Why do they need to be managed by a top manager to appear somewhat competent at football? Many smaller teams look better trained than us. How are they able to manage this without top managers?

OldSchoolManc

I fear that the clowns in charge gave Ten Hag a massive severance clause to tempt him and it’s stopping us from sacking him.
There can be no other reason for United playing the worst football I can remember since the eighties.
No other top team would tolerate having an average of nearly 20 shots against over a season.
That’s in addition to having an inconsistent front line and goal return.
This is only getting worse while he’s in charge and being stubborn about his methods

croadyman

INEOS just don't want to rock the boat as they want us to try and get CL. I can't see any way they can keep him without looking stupid when it inevitably goes pear shaped again.

It's obvious he'll never compete for the league or CL. Absolutely nobody will complain if he's sacked, it's basically a free hit for them and they'll take it.
Well they are absolutely wasting their time hoping he will qualify for Champions League. Go and get Nagelsmann to take over after Euros

UnofficialDevil

Why do they need to be managed by a top manager to appear somewhat competent at football? Many smaller teams look better trained than us. How are they able to manage this without top managers?
The way played under those managers reflected exactly the level they were, nothing more, nothing less. Under Moyes we played like mid level Premier League team, Under Ole we played like a Championship style counter attacking team, under Jose we played outdated defensive football, etc etc.

croadyman

On the one hand it's getting harder and harder to defend him. on the other I wonder who else is out there who can get this bunch of players to perform?
All the talk about getting new players in is pointless until we can get rid of some of the present squad, but who will pay them the stupid wages we are paying.
I've got a feeling EtH will still be here next season, and we will still be going around in circles.
Yeah same shithouses like Rashford just walking about because he knows Erik hasn't the guts to bench him for period of time. Will be absolutely gutted if Nagelsmann goes elsewhere and we are stuck with this guy but see that happening.

OverratedOpinion

I fully now accept the fact that he is a poor football coach. Probably the worst we have had since Sir Alex.

I was definitely one that tried to bury my head in the sand about the awful performance levels in the second half of last season due to his past reputation, our desperation as a club and us grinding out enough points to finish 3rd in a season where bloody Newcastle managed top 4.

Nice bloke, professional so I am not going to start insulting the man but I do believe he has now shown enough that it is only fair to say he is not a good football coach at this level. This season is a write off and I can only hope that the hires we are seeing above him can find a better replacement than Gareth Southgate.

croadyman

Lack of options to replace him.
New structure to give him proper support for the first time.
Ineos deciding they want to keep would only be done if they thought he could turn it around.
He was clearly a decent manager at Ajax, and for a decent period of time for us last season.
it's been proven that sticking with managers after they take a step back can work out sometimes.

I am not even that fussed if he does go, but if he does then I want a manager that I can get excited about coming in, and not some Moyes (Potter/Southgate), or Jose (Conte/Tuchel), type manager coming in to mess things up for another 3 years.
I will be absolutely gutted if we don't get Nagelsmann for after the Euros when he is a stand out candidate

Musclehead

Don't agree.

You speak the truth. The team symbolizes the manager. The way this team plays is what ETH is preaching. In laymen's terms, the confusion, lack of coherence, disorganization and effortless approach are now acceptable at Manchester United because the manager allows that. I was hopeful ETH would be the guy, but as time goes on, he is in way over his head.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The structure helps bring in better players who suit the demands. It helps us identify them better, replace quicker and in theory secure more of what we need.

Better suited players = better football.
Just say better recruitment then because I agree it's mainly people what are thinking about when they say the 'structure' will improve things.

The structure still doesn't excuse performances like this week.

Musclehead

I will be absolutely gutted if we don't get Nagelsmann for after the Euros when he is a stand out candidate
I hate to say it, but outside of Klopp, there is not a manager available. Actually, Benitz might make some changes on the culture end with his style. A long shot, but not much else. Wow, it just shows the legend that SAF was.

roseguy64

Indeed, we need to improve on the players we have in a number of positions and certainly we need more depth. But I just find the constant calls (ging back years now) ''we'll never get anywhere/win the league/be a top side again etc until we get rid of 99% of these lazy cnuts'' a bit pointless, knee jerk and petty. We have a shit season and suddenly the players are the major problem (yet when we have a decent season they're alright), or there's some sort of infectious negative culture that every new signing is immediately stricken with. And we simply must jettison most of the current players to rid ourselves of it.

The truth is most of the current squad are good players, there's no reason why most or at least a fair amount of them can't be part of a successful side/squad under the right manager/set-up.
Agreed entirely.

It's never as simple as we need to gut the squad. That's just a massive massive risk.

Musclehead

Just say better recruitment then because I agree it's mainly people what are thinking about when they say the 'structure' will improve things.

The structure does give to the performances, how does Dalot end up 1 v 1 with no support? How does the final corner even happen? Where was the infamous Captain Bruno directing traffic? Rooney, Keane would have been going berserk getting guys covered and fully aware on the breakout setup.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

It’s also about getting rid of those players that don’t meet the requirements.

OverratedOpinion

In what way is he the "standout" specifically?

He screams of someone who would crumble under the pressure at Utd currently to me. We need a grizzled pro who can be somewhat unaffected by the turbulence that will come with us putting in an entirely new structure over the next 18 months. Not a very young man who is getting over being sacked from his last job and has never managed in a competitive league.

USREDEVIL

Don't agree.

i mean yeah some of those were not actually hired as full time managers but lvg and mourinho are not scrubs.

Salford_Red83

It's absolutely baffling to me people still giving this guy the benefit of the doubt.

He is by far and away the worst manager we've had post Fergie, and we've had some terrible ones.

We've all got eyes right? We can see what he's dishing up game after game, right?

He simply has to go.

And this isn't absolving the players of any responsibility, they are all (well, some are) equally as culpable as ETH for our current decline. But he still picks them, he still gives them the tactics to play. We have a team of reserves and academy players to call upon if needed.

Absolutely bizarre stance from some of our fellow Reds.

croadyman

In what way is he the "standout" specifically?

He screams of someone who would crumble under the pressure at Utd currently to me. We need a grizzled pro who can be somewhat unaffected by the turbulence that will come with us putting in an entirely new structure over the next 18 months. Not a very young man who is getting over being sacked from his last job and has never managed in a competitive league.
Ok so what grizzled pro do we need then,completely disagree that he will crumble at Utd but then I am firmly Nagelsmann in so that's not surprising

Ole'sgunnarwin

It's absolutely baffling to me people still giving this guy the benefit of the doubt.

He is by far and away the worst manager we've had post Fergie, and we've had some terrible ones.

We've all got eyes right? We can see what he's dishing up game after game, right?

He simply has to go.

And this isn't absolving the players of any responsibility, they are all (well, some are) equally as culpable as ETH for our current decline. But he still picks them, he still gives them the tactics to play. We have a team of reserves and academy players to call upon if needed.

Spot on

OverratedOpinion

Ok so what grizzled pro do we need then,completely disagree that he will crumble at Utd but then I am firmly Nagelsmann in so that's not surprising
Over Nagelsmann?

I would take Emery, Tuchel, Enrique, Simeone, Ancelotti, Zidane, Spalleti, Inzaghi or Mancini among others. Even if we went younger I would sooner take O'Neil or Carrick before Nagelsmann.

Judas

Open to offers
It'll be difficult to stomach if we stick with him, even with the lack of amazing options, there's enough that a change should be made. Actually he's doing shit enough, that we're left with no real choice.

UnofficialDevil

i mean yeah some of those were not actually hired as full time managers but lvg and mourinho are not scrubs.
What I'm saying is they were both past it when we hired them, both were dated managers, which why they did nothing after us either.
Jose had been sacked by Chelsea and Luis was playing a defensive 352 prior in the world cup
If we had hired them a few years earlier, it would have been a different picture.

croadyman

Over Nagelsmann?

I would take Emery, Tuchel, Enrique, Simeone, Ancelotti, Zidane, Spalleti, Inzaghi or Mancini among others. Even if we went younger I would sooner take O'Neil or Carrick before Nagelsmann.
OK let's take each one individually, well Emery wouldn't swap Villa for Utd right now. Have seen zero links to Enrique at all. Simeone would be seen as too defensive and seemingly has no desire to leave Atletico. The chance to get Ancelotti passed when Fergie retired. Forget Zidane as doesn't want to manage in England. Spalletti has never been linked to us whatsoever. Yes will give you Inzaghi as he's my second choice to Nagelsmann but does he want to leave Italy. Mancini I think is done now in club management. I like O Neil but he wants to build something at Wolves. Carrick I feel needs to manage somewhere in Premier League first.

OverratedOpinion

OK let's take each one individually, well Emery wouldn't swap Villa for Utd right now. Have seen zero links to Enrique at all. Simeone would be seen as too defensive and seemingly has no desire to leave Atletico. The chance to get Ancelotti passed when Fergie retired. Forget Zidane as doesn't want to manage in England. Spalletti has never been linked to us whatsoever. Yes will give you Inzaghi as he's my second choice to Nagelsmann but does he want to leave Italy. Mancini I think is done now in club management. I like O Neil but he wants to build something at Wolves. Carrick I feel needs to manage somewhere in Premier League first.
God what waffle.

There have been no credible links with Nagalsmann, there usually isn't in football until something happens.

Emery would join Utd in a heartbeat, as would Enrique, Inzaghi, Mancini, Spalletti after the Euros, so on and so forth. The fact that you are trying to paint the picture that O'Neil (who we should not hire btw) would not walk to Manchester from Wolverhampton barefoot over glass for a slight sniff at the Utd job is silly.

There are boundless better options than Nagalsmann.

Bowlcut11

I'll admit I really like ETH so perhaps I'm biased but some of the comments here are forgetting how woeful the football was under Mou and LVG for the most part!

OverratedOpinion

I'll admit I really like ETH so perhaps I'm biased but some of the comments here are forgetting how woeful the football was under Mou and LVG for the most part!
Nah this is the worst, the football under LVG and Jose was poor at times but we were never this consistently open and devoid of control against sides in the bottom half of the table.

croadyman

What I'm saying is they were both past it when we hired them, both were dated managers, which why they did nothing after us either.
Jose had been sacked by Chelsea and Luis was playing a defensive 352 prior in the world cup
If we had hired them a few years earlier, it would have been a different picture.
You are absolutely spot on that we got both of them after they were both on the wane sadly

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal

He simply has to go.

The most bizzare shit is some posters defending him to the hilt like he's their daddy. With Ole I can understand cause he's a club legend and one of us but this bald chancer is nobody. He literally has zero connection to us prior being appointed. He's good at giving bullshit big talk though maybe thats why some of our fans eat his words.

Dont get me wrong they both were crap before being sacked but we never ever under them conceded 20+ shots every single fecking game and have a minus GD so late into the season. That alone is a legit reason to sack the baldy on the spot. Also he has the nerve to say that we played well like wtf are you watching the same match ?

Last edited:

croadyman

God what waffle.

There have been no credible links with Nagalsmann, there usually isn't in football until something happens.

Emery would join Utd in a heartbeat, as would Enrique, Inzaghi, Mancini, Spalletti after the Euros, so on and so forth. The fact that you are trying to paint the picture that O'Neil (who we should not hire btw) would not walk to Manchester from Wolverhampton barefoot over glass for a slight sniff at the Utd job is silly.

There are boundless better options than Nagalsmann.
We will see who is proven right on this one,if it's you somehow I will admit I backed the wrong horse. Won't ever get off the Erik out train due to that game at Anfield last March

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The most bizzare shit is some posters defending him to the hilt like he's their daddy. With Ole I can understand cause he's a club legend and one of us but this bald chancer is nobody. He literally has zero connection to us prior being appointed. He's good at giving bullshit big talk though maybe thats why some of our fans eat his words.
Very few of our managers had a connection to the club before being appointed, temp managers aside, theres Ole, then Wilf McGuiness and then Walter Crrickmer in the 30's

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Ten Hag’s position is completely untenable. The only questions are when will he be sacked and who will replace him.

The debate over how bad he is versus previous duds is interesting but pretty irrelevant. He’s miles off the standard required for the club and that’s all that matters. Tactically we are as naive and poor as I can ever remember.

Moyes and Van Gaal were judged against a higher standard, because they immediately succeeded Ferguson. The bar was pretty low for Ten Hag to keep his job, too low if we are honest, because of the shit that preceded him. But he’s failed to even make that standard.

Hopefully Ineos will show a ruthlessness and adherence to high standards that we haven’t seen since the Ferguson era. That’s not to say that their approach shouldn’t incorporate some patience and be realistic, but we need a tangibly positive trajectory in order for that to be exercised.

The Ten Hag era has been one of the great disappointments in my time as a United fan because I really believed we were getting a progressive, modern, transformative, intelligent coach. Unfortunately, He’s been an unmitigated disaster.

NK86

We're replacing the structure that supports the manager from no marks, to the best money can buy, how is the original point hard to understand?
The new structure is not there to support the manager. It is there to ensure the club has a single direction and a change of manager does not change the club’s playing philosophy.

So this point does not really make sense unless that new structure believe the way to go forward for the club is to get our asses handed to us every match by every crap team out there.