Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 460 49.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 470 50.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Marwood

ETH is not to blame for any of the last 3 penalties. We were winning with 10 minutes to go, it is normal to make a defensive sub. This year, individual errors have really cost us, both in the league and in Europe.

I still don't think changing the manager will solve our problems. I think we simply need to change our club's culture, and INEOS are the ones who can do that now.
If you conceded territory and possession so much eventually defenders make mistakes. It's inevitable.

It's Man City's entire gameplan.

Rista

I know I know. I get it. He should have done better than this. It's disappointing to say the least. We look like a bunch of clowns. I'm not blind.

And yet...and yet...

What if he's doing the right things? What if we just have too many good players who are also the wrong sort of player? What if transition hurts more than we all thought?

Remember all those people on here who said Ronaldo would be fine in a high press team? That it would take a few months to turn us around? Turned out to be completely wrong. What if it's just really really hard because there are all kinds of things wrong at a fundamental level that we just can't see because we're not there. Crappy facilities. Bad scouting. Stupid pre season tours.Players bought at random because they were willing to come. Who knows.

Maybe just maybe the whole club sucks ass and has for years and it will take a long time to fix all this. And we have a decent guy who is willing to take on the challenge and look like an idiot while he's doing it because he knows eventually it will be Ok and he can do this? My instinct is that we should stick with him. I can't pretend it makes sense. I just think we should. I know Tuchel could come in and get us second place and then be gone a year later in a shower of recriminations. I just don't want that.
And what if he's just another De Boer? Most of the time the simplest explanation is the correct one.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The goal has always been top four under the Glazers post-Fergie.

That sort of environment breeds complacency and mediocrity.

If the new ownership from the start say the goal is to win and nothing else is good enough then that is a big culture shift in the club and it's standards becasue their is a big difference between aiming for top four and winning the league. You have seen it with Arsenal.
Yes that is the answer that I expect, a setting of higher targets for the players and managers. And if you can’t hack it, get out

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yes that is the answer that I expect, a setting of higher targets for the players and managers. And if you can’t hack it, get out
Exactly. For far too long players have been able to coast or put an unacceptable amount of effort it. It's just become a retirement home/easy paycheck and that needs to change very quickly.

I hope they are extremely ruthless in their approach because examples need to be made.

Bruno would be a good place to start IMO.

Not becasue he's not a good player, he is and maybe he's not quite cut out for where we want to go stylistically but just to show everyone else in that sqaud you better buck your fecking ideas up to stay at this club. Rashford could be a good example too.

TsuWave

Is this an occurrence at other supposed big clubs, like a manager buying goodwill for a draw?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I can’t see where Salah free? Do you have access to a clip which shows more of the pitch and him free and unmarked?

I’ve already addressed the GK in the description.

Of course the defender made a poor decision but it’s because the options available were narrowed down to either back pass to GK.

I find it funny that people want to see a coached side, when they are shown what the coaching does they then reject that it’s relevant.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that you either don’t understand pressing structures, and are therefore not able to criticise them. Or you are choosing to ignore them despite knowing it’s there.

I didn’t reject anything. I told you salah was free on the wing. Which he was. Nice try at trying to show your superior knowledge with your conclusion (again) though.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

I didn’t reject anything. I told you salah was free on the wing. Which he was. Nice try at trying to show your superior knowledge with your conclusion (again) though.
I wanted to see the context of where he was positioned you can see I’ve since adjusted my view on this.

We are still set up perfectly though in that passage of play to do what we did.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

:lol:

Red Regista

I'm sick and tired of the small time culture that apparently has infested United.

The times under SAF HAVE to be the standard and we haven't been anywhere near that over the past decade.

It just pains me to watch that stealing draws against the top teams (of which we should be one tbh) gets celebrated as a win or 'bad luck, we should have won the game' by the manager, when we got absolutely handled in the second half and were lucky not to lose by 5 or 6.
The last time we dominated a match against a top team was probably under Ole during COVID, when stadiums were empty.
This is not Manchester United. This defeatist culture is sickening, especially as it seems to have crept in into some of the fanbase over the last couple of years.

Bayern Munich fans go absolutely bananas against the players and the manager, for not winning the league one year! And they're in the knockout stages of the CL too.

We seem to be ok with winning a plastic cup every 3 or 4 years and 'setting up to hit them on the break' against the better teams, like we were fecking Brentford.

We're spending the money too, it's not like we got relegated and poor all of a sudden, so expecting wins and trophies and title challenges is only natural imo.
I'm at the point where I can't hear all those excuses anymore.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I’ve literally shown you the structure step by step as to how our strikers, midfield and defence were set up to make Quansah’s only option Van Dijk or Kelleher.

You are refusing to see what is right in front of you or don’t understand pressing structures.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxmumVVgH8Fz9VBc8gm6NJRGwWKrIAhUgk?si=ZUhmHCBtYRVdlxGi
Ok mate, I don't understand a simple set of photos. It was an easy pass, under the same pressure as they had been previously but were still rolling it around with ease. He simply misplaced it. Have you ever played football? I guarantee you that Quansah is kicking himself for such a shit pass. A pass to Van Dijk or Kelleher were both safe and easy to make. He played it blind and got his direction wrong. that is all. We didn't force a mistake, per se. They simply made a mistake and we were there to capitalise.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Arsenal is a club I think we can look at in terms of seeing how a restructuring above the manager and at the board level combined with a change in attitude towards competing can easily transform a club in a relatively short space of time.

I'm not drawing any parallels between Arteta and ETH because I think Arteta has always shown his style or 'philosophy' in ways that ETH hasn't done on the pitch but it does show that patience can be rewarded. If you were paying attention to Arteta and his football over the years you could see what he was trying to do and it made the growing pains more palatable.

We also need to be ruthless as they were in clearing underperforming/overpaid players off the books like Auba or Lacazette and focus more on youth, which to be fair we are doing to an extent now.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ok mate, I don't understand a simple set of photos. It was an easy pass, under the same pressure as they had been previously but were still rolling it around with ease. He simply misplaced it. Have you ever played football? I guarantee you that Quansah is kicking himself for such a shit pass. A pass to Van Dijk or Kelleher were both safe and easy to make. He played it blind and got his direction wrong. that is all. We didn't force a mistake, per se. They simply made a mistake and we were there to capitalise.
Bold bit. What do you think the defensive structure is there for?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes it was an error on the youngsters part, we were lucky, we were also lucky it went straight to Bruno because I doubt that some of the others could have taken that first time shot on and hit the target.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I wanted to see the context of where he was positioned you can see I’ve since adjusted my view on this.

We are still set up perfectly though in that passage of play to do what we did.
You was coming to the conclusion that someone didn’t know what they were taking about without even knowing the position of all the players.

we May be set in a good shape but it was a simple error from that defender that caused that goal

crackers0seven

Keep seeing this, are there less coaches working in world football than there were 12 months or 24 months ago?
L O L. Very smart guy. Hire up southgate or ginger sean so. You clearly know what options mean,if southgate is an option then erik should be kept. Why even reply.

pocco

loco
Bold bit. What do you think the defensive structure is there for?
Well done, we had 11 players on the pitch playing a vague press at that time. If he'd have got his pass right then Bruno wouldn't have been a factor and Van Dijk would have dealt with it, so was the 'structure' really that great? He got fortunate that the pass was yards wide of where it should go and Bruno was still ambling around in that space. And if Quansah finds VVD, he then has an easy pass to break our press in to Endo (or VVD - Kelleher - Endo). So again, was it really a great defensive structure? I'd say no. And if he did what he would do 99 times out of 100, they play through us with ease as they had done the previous 50 minutes and continued to do afterwards.

Rista

The defence of ETH has really reached new level of desperation if a "press that possibly resulted in opposition error" is something we're going to cling onto.

pocco

loco
The sooner people accept they were wrong about ETH (we've all been there), the sooner we can all move on from this shit. It's time to stop clinging on to false hope when there's a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

Let's have some standards (and we will all hold the next manager to the same standards) and just move the feck on. He's gone in the summer, so let's move on and discuss something that makes sense.

Robbie Boy

Is this an occurrence at other supposed big clubs, like a manager buying goodwill for a draw?
It hasn't bought him anything, though. The ones backing him are still backing him and the ones that want him out, still want him out.

In the grand scheme of things it'll have zero bearing on whether he's kept on or not. I imagine a decision of some sort has already been made regarding his future. Yesterday's performance, if anything, further indicates that he isn't the right man. The result in isolation was ok, but the performance was absolutely atrocious.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he has had a horrible season.
I also think he did well last season.
I don't believe he should be sacked yet, but I also won't cry if he does get sacked.
I'm interested to see what he can do if we can fix some of the squad issues and be healthier next season

I also think he has shown over the course of his career he is a good tactician, hopefully he would have learnt a lot from this season about the PL and also the limits of certain members of the squad

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I believe if we were being linked to better managers more fans probably would've turned on him. Most people I speak to are shit scared that we are going to hire Southgate and they would obviously rather have ten Hag.

sammyhol

How anyone can still be defending ETH after his approach this season blows my mind. He has been the biggest issue this season. Not the injuries. Not underperforming players. Him, and specifically his suicidal setup. It's as simple as that.

Even with Pep or Klopp, it would take a miracle for this squad to be genuinely challenging. But the collective quality in the squad is far better than what we are seeing demonstrated on the pitch. We demonstrated this for large parts of last season.

It all comes down the the stubbornness of the manager. Last season, he came in and tried to implement a similar style of play for a couple of games, and we got spanked by two small clubs. He quickly realised the squad wasn't up to it, and reverted to a style we had been used to playing... a deep lying, compact 4231, which relied on counter attacks, where the main attacking threat came from wide areas where the "wingers" (especially Rashford) were able to play more narrow on the last line of defence, and the width was provided by the the FBs. I mean, Rashford has been awful this year, but the manager has to take a huge chunk of the blame for that. Playing to none of his strengths, and to all of his weaknesses.

Last years shape played to the strength of our midfielders too, as there was significantly less ground to cover defensively in the middle of the park. So the lack of legs was not exposed. Only City and Newcastle conceded less goals than us, and that is with a midfield 2 typically consisting of Casemiro and Eriksen. It also mitigated the lack of pace in our defence, as they clearly aren't suited to playing a high line.

But for whatever reason, without anywhere close to sufficient enough change in personnel, ETH has decided that the squad is now suited to play a completely different style. He wants to play a high press with his 5 attacking players, but with a solo DM, and a back 4 who simply aren't athletic or fast enough to play high enough up the pitch retain a compact shape.

So we get what we see every week. An absolute chasm between the front 5 and the back 6. So when opposition beat the initial press, a single opposing player can typically carry the ball unchallenged from one box to the other. It is just suicidal tactics.

And out of pure stubbornness, the manager will just not hold his hands up to the fact that he has got it all wrong, and go back to the way we were playing last year.

pocco

loco
I believe if we were being linked to better managers more fans probably would've turned on him. Most people I speak to are shit scared that we are going to hire Southgate and they would obviously rather have ten Hag.
I don't want Southgate at all, it's nightmare fuel. But, having said that, I know Southgate would set us up in a more balanced structure with a proper midfield unit. It'd be extremely vanilla, but probably less infuriating to watch. I absolutely don't want Southgate though, and I don't think we will go for him anyway.

Big Sam was with Brailsford and Ratcliffe yesterday, though :drool:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Seen the wider view and you’re correct Salah is available out wide for a pass. Our structure though is perfect in that situation. Blocks central passing lanes and then when an inexperienced player makes a poor decision we are in the perfect shape to take advantage.
I am not sure I would ever call a shape perfect that leaves Salah of all people available. Sure it worked out well in this case, but in general that's a risky approach, although one that has its merits when you trust the player on the ball to not have the balls to make that long pass. I just wonder, wasn't there someone else who could have been left available who is less dangerous than Salah? But anyway that's nitpicking, any pressing structure is there to force and use mistakes. If no player makes a mistake, no ball will ever change possession, so those who complain that it was a mistake of Liverpools player instead of good pressing don't really seem to understand the purpose of pressing.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
:lol: Are we actually trying to convince ourselves that we 'forced' Quansah's error and it was all by design?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:lol: Are we actually trying to convince ourselves that we 'forced' Quansah's error and it was all by design?
Please don't use "we". We do not want to be associated with that.

Robbie Boy

I don't want Southgate at all, it's nightmare fuel. But, having said that, I know Southgate would set us up in a more balanced structure with a proper midfield unit. It'd be extremely vanilla, but probably less infuriating to watch. I absolutely don't want Southgate though, and I don't think we will go for him anyway.

Big Sam was with Brailsford and Ratcliffe yesterday, though :drool:
I would definitely rather keep ETH if bizarrely it was a choice between the two. With Southgate, it would be 3 or so years of more pain and misery. At least if ETH stays on, he'll be sacked pretty quickly next season if things remain as they are. The hope is that by that point, Southgate is no longer an option/available.

lysglimt

Scout
I'm sick and tired of the small time culture that apparently has infested United.

The times under SAF HAVE to be the standard and we haven't been anywhere near that over the past decade.

It just pains me to watch that stealing draws against the top teams (of which we should be one tbh) gets celebrated as a win or 'bad luck, we should have won the game' by the manager, when we got absolutely handled in the second half and were lucky not to lose by 5 or 6.
The last time we dominated a match against a top team was probably under Ole during COVID, when stadiums were empty.
This is not Manchester United. This defeatist culture is sickening, especially as it seems to have crept in into some of the fanbase over the last couple of years.

Bayern Munich fans go absolutely bananas against the players and the manager, for not winning the league one year! And they're in the knockout stages of the CL too.

We seem to be ok with winning a plastic cup every 3 or 4 years and 'setting up to hit them on the break' against the better teams, like we were fecking Brentford.

We're spending the money too, it's not like we got relegated and poor all of a sudden, so expecting wins and trophies and title challenges is only natural imo.
I'm at the point where I can't hear all those excuses anymore.
You can't really compare United to Bayern. I agree we should absolutely be near the top of the table - but Bayern are so much bigger than everyone else in Germany, it is a failure if they dont win the league. 1 club in the Bundesliga has ONCE signed a player for over €35 million (Draxler to Wolfsburg). 9 of the 10 biggest signings in the Bundesliga have been made by Bayern.

We are competing with 7-8 clubs who can afford to buy really expensive players - and we are not even the richest club in the Premier League.

So as much as I agree with the standards-part - you bringing Bayern Munchen into this is just completely wrong.

redcucumber

He could stay with Germany if the Euros go reasonably well, he seems to be Bayern's first choice and he's of interest to Liverpool. It's probable he would turn down the United job given the alternative options he has but I would hope that the club were at least seeing if it's possible.
The alternative options are shite. I find it hard to believe he'd turn down the chance to manage United to stay with the German national team. Going back to Bayern over United also seems like a bad idea. Liverpool would make sense tbf but they seemingly want Amorim.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The defence of ETH has really reached new level of desperation if a "press that possibly resulted in opposition error" is something we're going to cling onto.
It's actually bonkers now. Not sure how people can still defend this

Sarni

It's been the same story with pretty much every single post-Fergie manager.
I was there to defend Ole, and I'm unrelated. I wanted all the others to go. I mean, I also wanted Ole to go in the end.

Sarni

The alternative options are shite. I find it hard to believe he'd turn down the chance to manage United to stay with the German national team. Going back to Bayern over United also seems like a bad idea. Liverpool would make sense tbf but they seemingly want Amorim.
I think he'd pick Bayern ahead of us.