Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 602 55.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 487 44.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
"Work smart, not hard" is how it should be, but for a lot of United fans it too often becomes "work hard, no matter how" and EtH actually uses a system that results in this being the case.
Agree 100 percent. If he gets another season this is something that has to change (and I'd hope someone makes him do that as I'm not sure he will do that otherwise).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Erik asked for the veto when he signed under the Glazers to prevent another Ronaldo situation.
This will not happen under SJR.
Erik will have an input of course. But football people will be making the decisions about players coming in.
He (or any future manager) will probably still have a veto. It's highly unlikely we'll be signing first team players that managers actively don't want.

However if he decides to use the veto, he'll be expected to have a bloody good reason for it. And if he uses it in a way that the people above him think is abusing the power, it's something that he'll be judged on in the future (ie. if that player ends on proving that he would have been a good signing, it can be a contributing factor in sacking the manager at a time we'd otherwise be undecided).

Most likely he'd never use it, but he'll technically have the ability to do so.

SomeRandomPerson

I think one perfect way of understanding the way he set up at Ajax, which can be seen now here, is if you go back and watch highlight videos of Frenkie de Jong at Ajax. When playing out from the back they generally passed to FDJ, who in turn had to beat the press and dribble through the opposition midfield to instigate the build up. It was completely suicidal and only worked because they had one of the few midfielders capable of doing such a thing.

But another thing I feel is that the PL and football in general, is much better in the press now than was generally the case back then. If he did get FDJ and tried to play this way, I think it would have been a disaster. But this necessity comes from the way he positions so many players so high up the pitch. I think that, if FDJ hadn't have been so successful in doing what he did, then the same issues would have been even more prevalent at Ajax (even more than they clearly were also there, as evidenced by the video with Gullit).
To be fair to Ten Hag, even after Frenkie de Jong left Ajax, they still played the same possession style and dominated the Eredivisie. He just shifted from relying on de Jong's unique talent for dribbling out of pressure to relying on Martinez, Timber and Blind to pass their way out of it. But there was a video posted here in the summer after Arsenal singed Jurrien Timber showing how good he was at playing out from the back and some of the passes that Martinez, the Ajax goalkeeper (Passveer?) and Timber were playing just seemed ludicrously risky even in that.

It just seems to me that Ten Hag's football, while being incredibly easy on the eye when it works, relies on his players taking massive risks both in and out of possession. Like we scored 12 goals in the Champions League group stage this year in a group which had Galatasaray and Copenhagen and finished bottom. In fact, we scored 9 in the 4 games against Galatasaray and Copenhagen and got 4 points out of it. Even Ten Hag's Ajax, who were a brilliant side had defensive issues in the Champions League. There's the aforementioned 3-3 draw against Bayern in 2018/19. There's also a 4-4 against Lampard's Chelsea in 2019/20 which Ajax led 4-0 after the hour mark. His style is an incredible amount of fun, but is also basically an insane high wire act to pull off. Which is okay if you have the best players in the league like Ajax had in the Netherlands, but the risk-reward ratio doesn't always work out in the Premier League or in the Champions League where the teams have players who can punish you for mistakes.

Maybe if we just splurge the cash and get a Theo Hernandez/Todibo/Branthwaite/Dalot back 4 with Amadou Onana shielding them, the risk-reward ratio will work out and United will be this amazing team to watch but it seems like a leap of faith to me. It's for Ineos to decide if they want to take that leap. To me, it seems easier to get a manager with a safer, more reliable style and build around that.

Zed 101

Having consistency in team selection is almost as important as the individuals missing. Even if those players haven't done anything special for us so far, being able to pick the same players every week, especially in defence, makes a big difference.
To some extent, but these are not strangers thrown together on match day, these are players who are training together day in day out, week after week, month after month, not only that most have been playing at the top level for years, they can meet up for international matches only a few days before a game and can operate effectively as a defensive/midfield unit, where is the consistency then?

We should not be as disjointed as we are, ETH will have gone into most (not all) games having known his fit, available players for days before, they should be drilling together in and out of possession, in those partnerships, formations etc... ok I am not saying they don't train, but why do we see so many chances being created from pull backs? why is there a lack of communication defending set pieces? why are there massive gaps all over the field? this is not down to team selection there is something awry with the coaching.

Any team has to be able to cope with injuries, ours have been bad this season, but so have other teams, I don't see any teams playing as badly as we do.

Injuries are one factor not the only factor

flameinthesun

Apart from possibly Martinez & Shaw, who have we missed due to injury that would greatly improve the team?

Varane seems past it, Mount has been mostly awful on the rare occasions he has played apart from that goal the other day, Malacia has done ok but would he make that much of a difference if fit & Martial hasn't played well for about 3 years now.
You take those 2 out of the team and effectively the team cannot build up from the back. I'd say Martinez is the more important of the two as he provides penetrating passes from the back. The drop off from Martinez to a Varane or Maguire in terms of passing is huge. Additionally for most of the season we've had one of Dalot, Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Amrabat at left back. Again a huge drop off in terms of building up from the back. If in another world it was Shaw and Martinez fit with all the other defenders rotating injuries then I think we would cope much better.

MadDogg

I don't think you've read this thread then.

People are very divided on this subject and not many are willing to have a proper discussion about how we got here and how this keeps happening.
There's a huge difference between not accepting that injuries have had any impact, and thinking that injuries aren't a suitable excuse for just how bad we've been. I don't think many are in the former, other than people who think that his tactics, training and/or line-up decisions are a contributing factor to the injuries. Meanwhile there seem to be some people who think that the injuries and the structure above him being poor means ETH has absolutely no responsibility for any of our problems.

I defended him to some extent for quite some time this season, largely because of the injuries. Those injuries will obviously slow down the progress and ability to play how he wants us to play, so he deserved more time to instil that. However we're now getting close to the end of the season and we haven't seen any real improvement. Indeed, we've arguably been getting worse. And it doesn't matter what players we have in there, we still seem to have the same issues.

Last edited:

Rista

You say we can make the same argument and then say directly afterwards how we are unable to make that argument.
I'm saying we could be making that argument but it would be pointless. At the end of the day, with these jobs comes the responsibility. Nobody on here would probably defend anyone who's been part of our footballing structure, probably for a good reason. But manager is the only position that people are trying to give the benefit of the doubt to. No excuses for anybody else.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'm saying we could be making that argument but it would be pointless. At the end of the day, with these jobs comes the responsibility. Nobody on here would probably defend anyone who's been part of our footballing structure, probably for a good reason. But manager is the only position that people are trying to give the benefit of the doubt to. No excuses for anybody else.
You can logically make an argument because we have more knowledge.

Someone like Fletcher for example, who knows what he actually does or what impediments he faces so you can't realistically make that argument. It's different for ETH as his role is the most visible.

RORY65

The explanation for keeping him that they want to empower the new football structure led by Ashworth to drive those decisions once in place has reason. There's a lot of upheaval that's still ongoing and so changing the manager in the middle of that is an added complication plus they could genuinely believe, with reason, that Ten Hag might come good if the people above him were better and built a better squad.

The justification for keeping him that there isn't a standout option to take over has a bit less merit to me, unless they think Klopp or Guardiola are going to take over in a couple of years who else is currently unavailable that would be even close to a guaranteed success? Whether we change manager this year, next year or in 10 years it is likely to be a bit of a gamble (as Ten Hag was), I'm not sure why this year's list of options is seen as any more barren than it has been previously. When we were looking for a manager 2 years ago the only 2 serious options seemed to be Ten Hag and the guy who has Chelsea in 9th.

NLunited

Did you mean to type this or is it a mistake?

We've played 4231 for many years. Indeed it was something that Ole was getting quite a lot of criticism for from the fans, and when we replaced him a lot of people hoped we'd move to 433 to give ourselves more midfield control.

ETH continued with 4231 last season, but this season he's changed to a 4141 (which has given us even less midfield control than we had with 4231).
This season we play 433 with an inverted triangle in midfield.

In possession we often shift to a 325 structure.

Gordon's Hill

Say what you like about him but his integration of youth has been a big plus.
I keep seeing this. Has it? What do we expect a United manager to do? If ETH's golden signing Antony was worth even half the money, Garnacho would not be a starter. As it is he's at risk at overplaying. Mainoo is a special talent and we were desperately short in midfield. Its good to see but I really struggle with the idea he is doing anything that special, especially when the club is hugely restricted on signings due to fair play.

RuudTom83

The issue with injuries for me only tells part of the problem.

Every team has injuries but it's more about what your expectations are for the back-up or squad players.

Forget the defence, if you just look at the 3 young lads Hojlund/Garnacho/Mainoo you forget how little PL experience they have between them.

Very few teams playing 3 teenagers every match and a back 4 of Maguire/Varane/AWB/Dalot would be seen as challengers for the CL.

Zed is not dead

While watching the Real v City game, I was thinking that chaotic football is the new tiki taka.
Ten Hag is just so ahead of the curve that we’re still not able to comprehend it.
Our own shiny bald revolutionary manager :drool:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The issue with injuries for me only tells part of the problem.

Every team has injuries but it's more about what your expectations are for the back-up or squad players.

Forget the defence, if you just look at the 3 young lads Hojlund/Garnacho/Mainoo you forget how little PL experience they have between them.

Very few teams playing 3 teenagers every match and a back 4 of Maguire/Varane/AWB/Dalot would be seen as challengers for the CL.
Agree. I actually think on paper as a squad we're really not that different from Chelsea in a sense.

NLunited

To be fair to Ten Hag, even after Frenkie de Jong left Ajax, they still played the same possession style and dominated the Eredivisie. He just shifted from relying on de Jong's unique talent for dribbling out of pressure to relying on Martinez, Timber and Blind to pass their way out of it. But there was a video posted here in the summer after Arsenal singed Jurrien Timber showing how good he was at playing out from the back and some of the passes that Martinez, the Ajax goalkeeper (Passveer?) and Timber were playing just seemed ludicrously risky even in that.

It just seems to me that Ten Hag's football, while being incredibly easy on the eye when it works, relies on his players taking massive risks both in and out of possession. Like we scored 12 goals in the Champions League group stage this year in a group which had Galatasaray and Copenhagen and finished bottom. In fact, we scored 9 in the 4 games against Galatasaray and Copenhagen and got 4 points out of it. Even Ten Hag's Ajax, who were a brilliant side had defensive issues in the Champions League. There's the aforementioned 3-3 draw against Bayern in 2018/19. There's also a 4-4 against Lampard's Chelsea in 2019/20 which Ajax led 4-0 after the hour mark. His style is an incredible amount of fun, but is also basically an insane high wire act to pull off. Which is okay if you have the best players in the league like Ajax had in the Netherlands, but the risk-reward ratio doesn't always work out in the Premier League or in the Champions League where the teams have players who can punish you for mistakes.

Maybe if we just splurge the cash and get a Theo Hernandez/Todibo/Branthwaite/Dalot back 4 with Amadou Onana shielding them, the risk-reward ratio will work out and United will be this amazing team to watch but it seems like a leap of faith to me. It's for Ineos to decide if they want to take that leap. To me, it seems easier to get a manager with a safer, more reliable style and build around that.
There are other risky styles that don‘t work unless you have the right players. Cheaty, Barcelona and even Pool.

Ten Hag‘s style demands a high workrate: which is not an issue because it is a basic requirement in the PL. When the players drop off in intensity, it can be a big problem.

It also demands high quality passing ability, which we have a limited amount of.

These things can be fixed with long term planning. Our club was in a shambles, we are about halfway there.

The squad needs to be balanced and have more quality on the bench. The striker situation is a prime example of the mess this club is.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
This teenage arc is a load of rubbish. We've relied on two teenagers, Garnacho and Mainoo. That's it. These aren't two chumps that we've dragged in from the academy to fill in for injuries. It's two genuine world class potential players.

Arsenal didn't use this excuse when Saka, Martinelli and Rowe played (in 20/21 these three contributed almost 7,000mins for Arsenal in all comps). We never used this excuse when LVG used countless teenagers. Or any other time we've had teenagers join the senior team. Stop with this crap please.

hobbers

Anyone still peddling the 'let's waste another season confirming what an abject failure of a manager he is' line should read the Athletic evisceration of our tactics vs Liverpool.

None of these failures are player dependent, they are all because of a diabolic structure and rubbish tactics, and asking every player to do far too much.

Shaw and Martinez would fare no better than AWB and Kambwala in addressing our openness. Liverpool would still have had 30 shots.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
We have teo outstanding young players in Garnacho and Mainoo. So it makes sense especially with the injuries, Antony being Antony and Sancho being frozen out that they've played so much.
Would also be interesting to see minutes played by players age 30 and over, I think you’d be quite high on that too.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I wouldn’t be able to answer that. I wouldn’t have thought so aside from his Ajax team
A lot of the Ipswich play this season (and last) has been about creating numerical advantage, so it’s obviously worked well for us in the lower leagues. It does mean conceding a fair few goals though, and you need fullbacks with an absolute motor on them.

MadDogg

This season we play 433 with an inverted triangle in midfield.

In possession we often shift to a 325 structure.
The two 'midfielders' generally play so high up that I think 4141 is a more accurate description of what it looks like. But I guess 4141 and 433 with two very attacking midfielders is the same thing, so either is accurate. I don't think 'inverted triangle' really does it justice how big the gap is between the base and the other two though.

NLunited

The two 'midfielders' generally play so high up that I think 4141 is a more accurate description of what it looks like. But I guess 4141 and 433 with two very attacking midfielders is the same thing, so either is accurate. I don't think 'inverted triangle' really does it justice how big the gap is between the base and the other two though.
316 sometimes. The two 433 variants are basic Dutch formations.

stevoc

It also goes against what ETH has said in public. Remember he famously said we won't be playing like Ajax and he has repeatedly stressed that winning and being pragmatic are the most important things to him. The idea that he is sacrificing short term success to build something long term is delusional. The much more probable situation is he has settled on a style of play he thinks suits his team and players and is too stubborn to tinker or change it.
True he did say that. Of those two theories neither makes sense, to me anyway. The former wouldn't make sense as most of the squad would need to change to make it work (if it even can) in which case it's a waste of time forcing players not suited to it to persevere with it now to the detriment of the current season, if you're only going to replace them later. The latter is more likely but doesn't make much sense either, because surely he must see it isn't working on just about any level. It's a style of play that makes us simultaneously weak in defence and poor in attack.

Werd.

If Nagelsmann signs for Bayern, we have to do everything in our power to shake Alonso loose from Leverkusen.

stevoc

I think realisitically, INEOS will want to make sure all appointments made above and around Ten Hag are in place before pulling the trigger on a new manager. Though I expect this is quietly happening in the background as we speak.

Logically, there'll be a vested interest in giving the next manager the best chance to succeed, as Ten Hag's failings can be attributed to the last regime. I actually think nothing he does between now and May gets him sacked as INEOS are rightly taking their time to ensure everything is set for their new man. But I also suspect there is no way he's still in the job come June save for a miraculous run of form and an FA Cup win.

I don't think you get to have United's worst season in over 30 years, get embarassed in the Champions League, give teams free reign on your goal all season and get rewarded with another year.
It would be a real slap in the face for the 4 previous managers who lost their job for much less if he did.