Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 558 53.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 480 46.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If we are going to play a possession-based style going forward then Wilcox being able to see the strengths and weaknesses of the players in that system for the last part of the season will be useful IMO.

Wilcox oversaw that style in the City academy so would be in a good position to judge and pick out weaknesses in players.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Antony starting.. Can't wait to see him cut to his left and shoot wide!
ETH has only himself to blame.

stevoc

It's even more baffling considering 12 players have their contracts all up in a year, and only a handful look likely to sign an extension.
Yeah by this summer it will virtually be a new squad bar a few players from 2 years ago anyway. Yet you still get people talking about Ralf's open heart surgery.

croadyman

I think people have just got used to us half arsing or ignoring problems, so the default now is we just do one thing at once.
Yeah that is very true and suspect it will be one or the other again this summer. Seems like the yes votes are picking up. Expect that to continue if we win tonight.

Berbaclass

Pre-match quotes are interesting.

Ten Hag: "What do I want to see? Quality with the ball, playing from the back, knowing when to accelerate, being good at pressing, counter-pressing, defending. We have to make it an intense game, we want to move them."

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If we are going to play a possession-based style going forward then Wilcox being able to see the strengths and weaknesses of the players in that system for the last part of the season will be useful IMO.

Wilcox oversaw that style in the City academy so would be in a good position to judge and pick out weaknesses in players.
You think he can just implement it over night? He's not made us good in possession in 3 years, and isn't even a proponent of that type of football. It's going to be a pointless exercise and the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton will outpossess us. Hell even Burnley did previously.

Berbaclass

You think he can just implement it over night? He's not made us good in possession in 3 years, and isn't even a proponent of that type of football. It's going to be a pointless exercise and the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton will outpossess us. Hell even Burnley did previously.
1. He's not been here 3 years.
2. We can play that style yes, doesn't mean we'll be any good at it.

croadyman

I’m getting the feeling that they will give him the next season to prove himself without excuses. At which point his contract will have expired so sink or swim time
Yeah that's my fear as well,really hope we appoint one of Tuchel, De Zerbi or Motta

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well see if he changes anything, seriously doubt it.
What would he change, he's overseen the same chaos ball since day 1 of the season, the absolute best thing he can do is just not piss off players who will outlast him and he an actual part of our future and stop playing garbage like Antony

sparx99

We didn’t let them shoot constantly 2/3rds of the game. Not following the game plan for the last 3rd (slowing the game down, keeping the ball, not forcing playing with players out of position) these things all went out of the window after the 3rd goal.

Is a moot point really because leaving too much space has been a theme of the season. I just don’t think it applied in this specific game where the tactical setup and game plan was fine. Just my opinion though
We didn’t you’re right. But they made a couple of changes as did we and then we fell apart under the slightest pressure. We’ve seen it for several years now that panic sets in with this group.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
1. He's not been here 3 years.
2. We can play that style yes, doesn't mean we'll be any good at it.
I apologise, 2 years. Big difference that extra year ey. But somehow you think he'll do it within 1 day or 6 weeks :lol:

And based on what? He's never been a possession based manager, he's shown he doesn't value possession. You think he can just decide to be a possession based manager and that's all it takes? It's just a stupid exercise, hopefully to see him out of the door.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We didn’t you’re right. But they made a couple of changes as did we and then we fell apart under the slightest pressure. We’ve seen it for several years now that panic sets in with this group.
Agree, but thats not tactical

ForeverRed1

But you do know more than 60% of the squad were bought/promoted by Ten Hag?

yes. However, take the Coventry game, the only players signed by ETH in the starting lineup, were hojlund, Casemiro and Onana.

With Casemiro playing as a centre back. (I also think that was a United panic buy rather than a ETH choice).

I do think he wanted hojlund and Onana can’t deny that but you get the point.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
yes. However, take the Coventry game, the only players signed by ETH in the starting lineup, were hojlund, Casemiro and Onana.

With Casemiro playing as a centre back. (I also think that was a United panic buy rather than a ETH choice).

Sure if you take 1 game from an entire shitty season.

stevoc

We didn’t let them shoot constantly 2/3rds of the game. Not following the game plan for the last 3rd (slowing the game down, keeping the ball, not forcing playing with players out of position) these things all went out of the window after the 3rd goal.

Is a moot point really because leaving too much space has been a theme of the season. I just don’t think it applied in this specific game where the tactical setup and game plan was fine. Just my opinion though
They were playing very defensive for the best part of an hour to be fair. Correct me if I'm wrong but they had only attempts in the first half. But ended up having 18 shots at our goal once they pushed forward and attacked more.

stevoc

So you are basing it on one game then?

Cassidy

They were playing very defensive for the best part of an hour to be fair. Correct me if I'm wrong but they had only attempts in the first half. But ended up having 18 shots at our goal once they pushed forward and attacked more.
They changed their approach at halftime. And yes we lost all discipline as a team after the hour mark

stevoc

They changed their approach at halftime. And yes we lost all discipline as a team after the hour mark
Agreed so it wasn't really a case of we didn't allow them to pepper our goal. They weren't trying, once they did just like every other team we couldn't stop them.

Atheist

No doubt injuries will be the excuse against Sheffield United, right? How low has this guy brought down the club to?

Cassidy

Agreed so it wasn't really a case of we didn't allow them to pepper our goal. They weren't trying, once they did just like every other team we couldn't stop them.
They wanted to still counter and be a threat. They had to change their approach because we played a controlled game, purposely slowing the game down. We abandoned that after 60 mins. In any case its only one game. The sample size of the season shows us being too open

ForeverRed1

To be fair the likes of Antony, Amrabat and Eriksen have been fit for months he just doesn't pick them.
Eriksen was a freebie from last season who was actually pretty good for us last year but a very short term signing. Needs to go.

amrabat is a loan and will 100% be gone in the summer. Shows our lack of options.

Antony MIGHT come good yet although never worth the transfer fee, nowhere near it. Again what they paid for him is on the club.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He needed to go months back. Too late now. We won't even make the conference at this rate.