Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Plastic Evra

But of course, no other club would give 21 year old those wages.
Not to defend the wage package that was offered but I think Mbappé probably was. Haaland and Enzo Fernandez as well. And now you have Chelsea offering 7+ years contracts to 20-21 yo. Not the same level of weekly wages but huge total financial commitments.

Not every bid or approach is made public, I think it's a little biased saying no one was on Sancho as if it is evidence he was an obvious dud beforehand.
Everyone would have been similarly excited at the prospect of being in the run for Bellingham and would not have missed a beat if a huge fee and generous wages were included.

OleGunnar20

Get rid, there's nothing to think about. Bad attitude and beige at best performances. He sets an even worse example than Martial who at least had a season or two of production amongst the uselessness.

We need to be better at picking the right characters going forward.

phenry

"Player goes to birthday party - redcafe posters are furious"
It's a bit more than that. This is one of the most controversial moments of his career, he's not playing well, he's being called out for not training property and by the looks of it does not have the support of the fans and players and he...... goes to a celeb party in NY and posts it on social media while at the same time leaving the offending Post disputing his commitment being questioned pinned to his twitter account. It's tone deaf and shows his priorities. He should be burying his head in shame or training with fury, not off to celeb parties and flaunting the party lifestyle.

Last edited:

kidbob

More like shit player is paid 350k a week. He can attend multiple orgies a week for all I care if he's performing on the pitch. The fact is he is literally shit at football at a PL level so he is of no use to this club. Just like Pep and City understood when they didn't fight to keep him. He can party all he wants as long as he fecks off from United.

Cathy Ferguson

Interesting to see if Sancho makes the squad against Brighton. If not he must surely be sold in January but only the Saudis might pay his wages. He might be at United for a long time but for the wrong reasons.

TsuWave

More like shit player is paid 350k a week. He can attend multiple orgies a week for all I care if he's performing on the pitch. The fact is he is literally shit at football at a PL level so he is of no use to this club. Just like Pep and City understood when they didn't fight to keep him. He can party all he wants as long as he fecks off from United.
People don’t stop living their lives because work isn’t going according to plan. He was on his off time and went to a birthday party. Bit odd to be furious about it.

TrueRed79

In NY! He's 24 and paid a fortune. He should be away on international duty. But he is so bad at his job right now, and from the outside looking in, he couldn't be arsed. It's not acceptable for a player of Manchester United to be like this. Are you deliberately being stupid? There are a few other posters ITT like you. It's laughable. It's a terrible look considering what's going on with his career. How he has handled ETH calling him out on his attitude at work. Do you honestly think this all hasn't been said in private multiple times to him already? He is in the public eye and everything will be scrutinised. Everything that i have seen from him so far screams that he is acting like a petulant child.

TsuWave

In NY! He's 24 and paid a fortune. He should be away on international duty. But he is so bad at his job right now, and from the outside looking in, he couldn't be arsed. It's not acceptable for a player of Manchester United to be like this. Are you deliberately being stupid? There are a few other posters ITT like you. It's laughable. It's a terrible look considering what's going on with his career. How he has handled ETH calling him out on his attitude at work. Do you honestly think this all hasn't been said in private multiple times to him already? He is in the public eye and everything will be scrutinised. Everything that i have seen from him so far screams that he is acting like a petulant child.
Look at you all emotional because Sancho went to a birthday party "in NY!" in his time-off. Do you go to work and put him triple shifts on your days off or something?

Is the guy not allowed a life outside of Manchester United - all because he's paid a fortune?

Hoof the ball

He is 18 years old.
That's not really my contention. My contention is in response to the poster who recommended him because we need another striker. If indeed he's not starting games because he's 18, as you say, then supplementing our inexperienced 20 year old Hojlund with a soon-to-be 19 year old as backup is just asking for problems.

FortunaUtd

That's not really my contention. My contention is in response to the poster who recommended him because we need another striker. If indeed he's not starting games because he's 18, as you say, then supplementing our inexperienced 20 year old Hojlund with a soon-to-be 19 year old as backup is just asking for problems.
Oh, absolutely.

Someone

Something
Problem is, no one is gonna take him on his current salary, and I hate when we loan a player and pay most of his salary so he can play for another club. If he has any self respect or ambition he'll take a pay cut and a permanent move somewhere else. But most likely he'll pull a Maguire and run down his contract here, and damage his career further in the process.

Waynne

Either Ten Hag beats the complacency out of Sancho OR the club gets rid of the player in the next window.

Jadon has been given enough time at this club to come right so patience for him with the fans is running low. He better get his act together on the pitch and soon.

Castia

Look at you all emotional because Sancho went to a birthday party "in NY!" in his time-off. Do you go to work and put him triple shifts on your days off or something?

Is the guy not allowed a life outside of Manchester United - all because he's paid a fortune?
Shame his day off is because he can’t make the international side…

I mean come on he’s in the middle of a highly publicised spat with the manager presumably regarding his work rate and he’s in NYC :lol:

The rest of the squad Rashford etc have been training all week and playing 2 international games it’s a fecking joke

He should be at the club training if he’s not even making the United bench ahead of 2 sub keepers, have some fecking shame.

Last edited:

TsuWave

Shame his day off is because he can’t make the international side

I mean come on he’s in the middle of a high publicised spat with the manager presumably regarding his work rate and he’s in NYC :lol:

The rest of the squad Rashford etc have been training all week and playing 2 international games it’s a fecking joke
I don't know why you guys keep quipping about him not making the national side - everyone knows he's underperformed and I don't think I've stated or implied otherwise. I simply think it's weirdo behaviour to pick up pitchforks because a player went to a birthday party on his time off.

"Look at him not working on his day-off :mad:"

The way you guys speak about football players has undertones that make me uncomfortable and I just can't get on board with - that's not to say he can't be criticised for not performing on the pitch, and supposedly in training - according to the manager, but when people start posting pictures of players in their personal time with the purpose of rallying up vitriol towards them - I think that's the point a sensible adult would say "eh, we're jumping into weirdo territory here"

Bwuk

He should be at Carrington proving a point.

The RW spot is completely up for grabs. I understand he’s allowed a holiday, but he should be wanting to force his way back.

I don’t see it with him. I think he’ll be sold/loaned in January. All the talent in the world but just the wrong levels of application.

RedDevilQuebecois

He should be at Carrington proving a point.

The RW spot is completely up for grabs. I understand he’s allowed a holiday, but he should be wanting to force his way back.

I don’t see it with him. I think he’ll be sold/loaned in January. All the talent in the world but just the wrong levels of application.
This. Same silly crap you see from the likes of Neymar, Paul Pogba and Jesse Lingard - epitomes of everything going wrong with today's footballers.

Castia

I don't know why you guys keep quipping about him not making the national side - everyone knows he's underperformed and I don't think I've stated or implied otherwise. I simply think it's weirdo behaviour to pick up pitchforks because a player went to a birthday party on his time off.

"Look at him not working on his day-off :mad:"

The way you guys speak about football players has undertones that make me uncomfortable and I just can't get on board with - that's not to say he can't be criticised for not performing on the pitch, and supposedly in training - according to the manager, but when people start posting pictures of players in their personal time with the purpose of rallying up vitriol towards them - I think that's the point a sensible adult would say "eh, we're jumping into weirdo territory here"

The reason he’s got time off is because of his attitude and work rate let’s not act like it’s a well deserved break the vast majority of the squad are travelling around the globe training and playing 2 games

So he plays shit, gets called out for his attitude and the reward is a party in NYC Great stuff

He’s just had a summer off we’re 4 games into the season ffs. He should be working to get to a respectable level again, maybe try and put himself in the pecking order for United and England in a Euro’s year?

Last edited:

TsuWave

The reason he’s got time off is because of his attitude and work rate let’s not act like it’s a well deserved break the vast majority of the squad are travelling around the globe training and playing 2 games

So he plays shit, gets called out for his attitude and the reward is a party in NYC Great stuff

He’s just had a summer off we’re 4 games into the season ffs

Baffled that you’re defending him after the week he’s had to be honest
I'm not debating "reasons" as to why he's got time-off. I said I find it odd to be angry at a player going to a party on their time-off - please be objective, and don't trail off in random tangents, please.

Yes, he should reserve the right to live his life in his time-off. What's not computing here? Maybe you guys clock-in/go to work on your days off, that's cool - I'm comfortable in saying a substantial number of people don't, and I don't think they should be vilified for it.

What does "just having a summer off and being 4 games into the season" mean in terms of Sancho or any other player being able to live their lives - go to parties, travel when they have time off? What's the permissible threshold? Players train daily, the breaks/gaps between football matches seems to only be getting shorter, more populated schedules - longer games etc. Prem ended May 28th in a World Cup year, and restarted 12th August. Football is a job. If he’s authorised to go on holiday then he should.

If you read a post that says "the way you guys speak about football players has undertones that make me uncomfortable and I just can't get on board with - that's not to say he can't be criticised for not performing on the pitch, and supposedly in training - according to the manager, but when people start posting pictures of players in their personal time with the purpose of rallying up vitriol towards them - I think that's the point a sensible adult would say "eh, we're jumping into weirdo territory here" - and your conclusion is "you're defending him" and bafflement - then I'm afraid I've got nothing else for you, unfortunately.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Football is a job. If he’s authorised to go on holiday then he should.
Football is a job, but it is not a normal one. Sancho is competing in his job with some other players to become one of the selected first 11, and on top of that in theory he is in competition with several other players for a spot in the national team. It's absolutely normal for players to do more than absolutely required from them, because it is in their own interest to improve. What Sancho does sends the message, that he doesn't care (much) for his personal improvement, and that rubs people the wrong way.

TsuWave

Football is a job, but it is not a normal one. Sancho is competing in his job with some other players to become one of the selected first 11, and on top of that in theory he is in competition with several other players for a spot in the national team. It's absolutely normal for players to do more than absolutely required from them, because it is in their own interest to improve. What Sancho does sends the message, that he doesn't care (much) for his personal improvement, and that rubs people the wrong way.
What is a normal job? Is being in competition with colleagues the qualifier that somehow sets football apart? Because it doesn't

Football is a job. Players are employees with contracts. They have the right to use their personal time for themselves. If he has an authorised day-off , he's by no means required to be at Carrington kicking ball - and again, it's odd that people would feel this level of entitlement and ownership regarding another human being because they're supposedly well remunerated in their profession. In every job that you do it is in your own best interest to improve. It is my belief that Sancho should be criticised on his poor performances and supposedly lack of application in training - according to the manager - and not because he went to a party on his time off.

Cantonagotmehere

I usually think this 'private time' complaining is an overreaction. But, in this case I would expect him to be training, working hard, showing the Club his intent. I would assume his 'advisors' were probably at the party with him

Marcus

What is a normal job? Is being in competition with colleagues the qualifier that somehow sets football apart? Because it doesn't

Football is a job. Players are employees with contracts. They have the right to use their personal time for themselves. If he has an authorised day-off , he's by no means required to be at Carrington kicking ball - and again, it's odd that people would feel this level of entitlement and ownership regarding another human being because they're supposedly well remunerated in their profession. In every job that you do it is in your own best interest to improve. It is my belief that Sancho should be criticised on his poor performances and supposedly lack of application in training - according to the manager - and not because he went to a party on his time off.
He was left out specifically because of his efforts in training. It would make sense that he put in extra training to make up for this. He has a personal life (parties etc are fine), but surely he would want to show that he is willing to make up ground? In short, take the break but come back early.

fallengt

He only hass time off because hes so shit that southgate doesn't want to pick him. Thats not something he earned
Even Maguire is playing for England.

RedMistyDevil

When De Gea lost his spot to Henderson, he cut his summer vacation short and returned to the club to train early. There are different ways to approach time off in football.

tenhagsimp

There were warning signs of his behaviour at Dortmund….we just chose to ignore them
That Ole talk about scouting personalities and mental revolution ended up being a big mumbo jumbo bullshite. How did the club didnt know his behaviour history was insane.

He only hass time off because hes so shit that southgate doesn't want to pick him. Thats not something he earned
Even Maguire is playing for England.
I wish I can work like shit and got paid vacation on company's expense to Netherlands. He has time off now cause he's crap.

reelworld

I've been thinking about how United seems to be like a graveyard for young talent. Regarding Sancho, I think he just arrives at United at the wrong time. I think if he went back to City, a well oiled machine team, he'd fare much better.
IMO, Sancho is not a leader, he's not a floor raiser. He's a ceiling raiser who can make good team better. He's the one who's gonna play better IF the other players played good. If the other players play bad, he's not going to be the one raising his game to change the game.
I think what Ten Hag is trying to do is improve the mentality of our players. Unfortunately we are shit in that area right now. We played worse when under pressure or adversity. Ten Hag is filtering the players who are mentally tough and can raise their game when the things go bad. Unfortunately Sancho is the one that got filtered out.
We can argue whether Ten Hag did it correctly to achieve that, but if United in the end end up with a team of mentally tough players then it's mission accomplished.

Sir Erik ten Hag

I've been thinking about how United seems to be like a graveyard for young talent. Regarding Sancho, I think he just arrives at United at the wrong time. I think if he went back to City, a well oiled machine team, he'd fare much better.
IMO, Sancho is not a leader, he's not a floor raiser. He's a ceiling raiser who can make good team better. He's the one who's gonna play better IF the other players played good. If the other players play bad, he's not going to be the one raising his game to change the game.
I think what Ten Hag is trying to do is improve the mentality of our players. Unfortunately we are shit in that area right now. We played worse when under pressure or adversity. Ten Hag is filtering the players who are mentally tough and can raise their game when the things go bad. Unfortunately Sancho is the one that got filtered out.
We can argue whether Ten Hag did it correctly to achieve that, but if United in the end end up with a team of mentally tough players then it's mission accomplished.
I swear I did read these exact same words for Pogba back in the day.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

I certainly have worked on weekends or days off before - voluntarily and enjoying it - when I felt highly responsible for a project or wanted to prove a point. And people who are self-employed do it all the time.

If you enjoy your work it shouldn’t even be seen as such a big sacrifice, competitive people get joy out of challenges. So it really does say a lot for a competitive athlete to pin a social media post to the top that is a response to a questioning of his commitment and then post pictures of going out and party in NYC.

At least if you do go, don’t post the pictures. Of course he can do it and it doesn’t make him a terrible person, but it does say a lot about his mentality. For reference, this is what Liverpools new signing has done in his time off:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
At this point Sancho and ETH should come to an agreement were they agree to disagree and were they make it work till the end of the season. Once the season is over then, if someone is still unhappy with the other, then Sancho will be transfer listed. This will help United and therefore ETH + it will improve Sancho's chances of finding a better club.

Devil77

Good points! I have always believed a lot of our failed players would have looked great in a team like City or Liverpool. A shame that United has become this poisoned chalice.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
you should be asking why no well oiled machine was interested in buying Sancho. City in particular should have been interested in having back considering that he would have qualified as a homegrown talent. Yet they stirred away from him as if he had the plague.