Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Eugenius

The oddest thing is that it's weirdly thin skinned on Sancho's behalf. All that was said that he didn't train well enough.

We had Mourinho calling Pogba a virus, and giving Shaw the "my brain his body" chat. You could argue ETH has been more scathing about Maguire recently.

lex talionis

All that needs to happen is for ten Hag to ensure that Sancho never plays a single minute for us ever again.
That remedy works for me. Sancho has badly underperformed and at times has looked bored on the pitch. We can’t have that. In the end it may well be that ETH was right to call him out but now that he’s done that he needs to make an example of the player who himself mentally is not up for this much pressure.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
So so sick of off-field drama this season. If you're not here to work hard for the club or are incapable of going five minutes without acting like a complete knobhead just pack up your shit and feck off please.

Catch

whilst i didnt agree with Ronaldos petulance at his perceived treatment by ten hag...at least with ronaldo you could understand his "do you know who i am" attitude.
I dont get why Sancho has a do you know who i am attitude...because we do know who you are, you are someone who has never been a consistent starter for utd or england. so settle down and work hard and earn your place back or go. dont mind which!

Okey

Time to add this one to the 'memories' section. He's done here. No way near good enough (at least hasn't been) to be afforded any special treatment. If not that he cost so much, we wouldn't even be giving him a second thought. Sad waste of money.

TsuWave

whilst i didnt agree with Ronaldos petulance at his perceived treatment by ten hag...at least with ronaldo you could understand his "do you know who i am" attitude.
I dont get why Sancho has a do you know who i am attitude...because we do know who you are, you are someone who has never been a consistent starter for utd or england. so settle down and work hard and earn your place back or go. dont mind which!
I don't think he has a "do you know who i am attitude", by most reports his stance is due to not believing rules are being applied fairly/some are getting special treatment. Whether that's justified, it's a different conversation - and realistically, none of us would have that insight. But yeah, this isn't seemingly from a "do you know who i am" attitude

El Zoido

Time to add this one to the 'memories' section. He's done here. No way near good enough (at least hasn't been) to be afforded any special treatment. If not that he cost so much, we wouldn't even be giving him a second thought. Sad waste of money.
What memories? He didn’t even have a piano.

roseguy64

Was the statement really necessary?

Just banish him to the training programme without announcing it to the world like in the old days.

These countless statements just reak of trying to seem modern and progressive.
This isn't 2004 anymore. Media is different.

I find it refreshing. It should be couple of more of this decisions.

We already had players throwing vanGal under the bus.
We had players throwing Mourinho under the bus.
We had players throwing Solskjaer under the bus.
We had players throwing Rangnick under the bus.

This need to stop. Every player not being commited to the team should be banned, sold, fined. It is time to throw out players who are thinking they are bigger than the club.
Not unique to Man Utd. Happens at every club and will continue to happen. With the costs as they are, easier to get rid of a manager than multiple players.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m surprised the club hasn’t imploded yet

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It was a player breaking rules set by the manager and not training to the required standard, the DoF should not have stood in and allowed the manager to control the matter.
I understand that, but that said player is getting paid 300k or however much and, this is the important part, not playing. The DoF is not doing his job if he's sitting on his hands while this happens.

Castia

Sancho seems like the kind of guy that has pineapple on pizza

proper wrong-en

roseguy64

I knew there was going to be problems this season with him when the first training session photos came out and he looked like he’d been eating nothing but pizza the whole summer.
He's not overweight. That was literally just people making stuff up.

roseguy64

The guy turned up overweight at the start of his first season after signing a massive contract. Huge red flag that he has never removed.

He doesn't have the mentality, take whatever hit is needed to get rid and move on.
Pretty sure the story there was that he was sick. Unless you have proof otherwise?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
There is no mess, as far as Sancho is concerned. It feels like one because media knows that only United stories sell and hence keep churning United news and creating a big "CRISIS" news every time something happens.
What's the mess? Yes there's drama in the press, but if it affirms the manager's standards among the players, might that not be better for us on the pitch and in the long term?
Would it be better if standards kept slipping and we kept hiding it?
I for one and please EtH has forced a reckoning either way
Yeah he did. Twats like Sancho deserve to be named and shamed for not pulling their weight
To be honest, I've probably barely commented on this or the Antony stuff because it just barely moves the needle for me now, I find it hard to care in all honesty. I've come to the realisation that these players and ETH just aren't it. Come match day I'm there and hope we win, but the rest of the stuff just isn't worth my time anymore.

However, I defended Jose when he pulled players up and I openly admit that. Nobody else liked it at the time because it wasn't from a manager they liked. It might make me look a hypocrite right now. But whilst I don't pay much notice of this bullshit now, I still think that with all the negativity around the club, it wasn't the smart move by ETH. I get why he did it, but I just think the timing was bad. And you can say 'what mess?' all you want, but nearly 80 pages on RedCafe alone tells you everything. Sancho could have been made an example in private on this occasion, we could have said he's injured or he's had an illness that has hampered his fitness, Covid, whatever. Then in private its open season, do what you want. But this move, coupled with everything else, had created an environment that isn't conducive to progress or harmony.

roseguy64

I still don't get why ETH had to say it and not just say something more diplomatic but after he said it, Sancho's reaction wasn't the right one. And then if it's true he hasn't apologised then he is done at the club
Agreed

roseguy64

No he did not. He was asked a question and he said he was left out because standards weren't being met, that's not having a pop. That's just stating fact.

Sancho is on big money and has never shown he was worth even a quarter of what was paid for him. If he wants to act like a cry baby because his manager doesn't think he works hard enough. So he can Bogarde his way through his massive contract. Then he's better off away from the first team squad.
It's an opinion, not a fact.

skc_18

Not sure what's worse, Sancho not giving apology or the fact that news leaked to press.

skc_18

The oddest thing is that it's weirdly thin skinned on Sancho's behalf. All that was said that he didn't train well enough.

We had Mourinho calling Pogba a virus, and giving Shaw the "my brain his body" chat. You could argue ETH has been more scathing about Maguire recently.
What did Eth say about Maguire? I felt he was happy with Maguire as backup.

Belisarius

There are two sides to the problem/opportunity that we have Sancho under contract for another few years. The disadvantage is that if he refuses to train properly or leave we end up having to pay his massive wages and write-off his massive transfer fee for a long time and get nothing in return. The advantage is that if we continue to not let him train with the first team and he pulls a Maguire and refuses to leave if we get a fair offer, then he is basically kissing his career good-bye at a pretty early age. People think it is hard for Greenwood to come back after sitting out for 18 months. Imagine how difficult it will be for Sancho if he sits for the next 2 or 3 years.

So, I think we should be able to move him on for a fee in January or next summer. No way should we allow him to leave on loan unless there is some obligation to buy.

RedDevilQuebecois

He is to the rest of the team what Gomer Pyle was to the rest of the platoon of Marine recruits in Full Metal Jacket.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well there’s no way he has any future here then, which I don’t really care as he was shite anyway and we can now move Diallo and Pellistri up for more first team action.

Ted Lasso

ETH gave the lad 3 months away during his important debut season to sort himself out because he thought supporting Sancho to get himself mentally and physically well was more important than the football. He welcomed him back like a proud Dad with a smile on the touchline and yet some on here would have you believe Sancho has been hard done by and ETH is some monster. Sancho with a history of discipline issues with every club he’s been at including the England national team.

Get rid of this clown and wind your necks in about the manager.
This.

Marcus

When Sancho posted on social media that it was a lie that he was doing badly in training, he should have realised that it was not just EtH's word against his. All his teammates who are first-hand witnesses of his "effort" day-in and day-out probably rolled their eyes because they agree with the EtH.

Last edited:

fallengt

Would love to hear from Sancho's family, who they think get special treatment from ETH?
Even Rashford, Ronaldo, Casemiro got benched. Who Sancho thinks he is?

ForeverRed1

Yeah, how dare the big-headed bald twat expect a player, who is on >300k/w, to arrive on time to his job.
exactly.
To be honest, I've probably barely commented on this or the Antony stuff because it just barely moves the needle for me now, I find it hard to care in all honesty. I've come to the realisation that these players and ETH just aren't it. Come match day I'm there and hope we win, but the rest of the stuff just isn't worth my time anymore.

However, I defended Jose when he pulled players up and I openly admit that. Nobody else liked it at the time because it wasn't from a manager they liked. It might make me look a hypocrite right now. But whilst I don't pay much notice of this bullshit now, I still think that with all the negativity around the club, it wasn't the smart move by ETH. I get why he did it, but I just think the timing was bad. And you can say 'what mess?' all you want, but nearly 80 pages on RedCafe alone tells you everything. Sancho could have been made an example in private on this occasion, we could have said he's injured or he's had an illness that has hampered his fitness, Covid, whatever. Then in private its open season, do what you want. But this move, coupled with everything else, had created an environment that isn't conducive to progress or harmony.
So you don’t think when sancho got sent to the Netherlands on his own it wasnt related to this? My guess is it was and ETH was protecting him. He has had nothing but an arm around his shoulder the whole time from us and excuse after excuse. Maybe this time it was ETH trying a different method to kick him up the arse.. maybe he’s got to that point with him, nothing else has worked. How long can you molly cuddle a player if it doesn’t work? Sancho has not given half enough of the attitude, application or desire that we need him to have. If ETH has come out this publicly after over a year of working with him, my guess is he has been way way way below parr for a while. This isn’t a one off, it’s clearly been brewing a while.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Sancho has a pretty poor history of application and discipline. Not outrageous by any means, but also far from a glowing endorsement of his professionalism.

ETH was asked a question about his omission and presumably could’ve covered for him and kept it internal or answered honestly, as he did. We can argue until the cows come home about whether he made the right choice - personally I’m fine with it, it publicly and privately sets a standard of expectations - but at the end of the day it’s the manager’s prerogative.

Players have been coddled for a long time and Sancho’s reaction is a defensive one, indicating that on some level he recognises there’s truth to it. He’s probably prideful and embarrassed to a certain degree. He either had the choice to show some humility and get on with knuckling down, accepting his admonishment, and earning his 350k a week and spot back in the team; or…..he can dig his heels in, refuse to apologise, change, take accountability, grow and develop. The choice is his.

One leads to a potentially successful career at the biggest club in England, on a massive contract; the other leads to an exit from the club, lack of playing time, stagnation, and probably a significant step down when he does leave. The path he’s currently taking is what you would expect of a multi-millionaire 21 year old, with historical disciplinary issues.

So I fully expect him to be gone in January. Best bet for the club is Saudi Arabia coming in with a big contract and a 40-50m fee. Selling him elsewhere will be tough on his wages and obviously unwanted status.

Eric is a disciplinarian, no doubt. Jadon, is a tit.

garelo

Woodward had let the patients to run the asylums far too long, as a result they can always switch on and off depending on their mood because they know the one who is in danger of losing the job is their manager, we have to rescind that mentality and doing that, will long painful road considering the pressure from the players, the players family, the media, and the fans If things didnt go our way. This is why we have to be united in support for ETH, he's the only manager after SAF that dare to set the standard even if it means going after expensive or star players. Sure it wont be easy, you'll hear sneers here and there but it needs to be done to bring our club back.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good move and statement by the club. Get a couple of commando fitness instructors in to sort his personal training out - might not want to be so lazy after they’ve sorted him out.
Two years into a huge money move and he still hasn’t sorted out this glaring weakness which clearly tells you that simply isn’t driven / bothered to work on it. How hard is it for a professional athlete to become a proper athlete ? He just wants to play pretty football without the grind and effort involved - smile on his face. feck off.

Trex

Seems like you are not actually reading my posts mate. No not because of the loss of Sancho in isolation, it seemed like ETH wanted 6 options for the front 3 this season. Garnacho, Rashford, Hojlund, possibly Greenwood (as we didn't sign another striker), Antony and Sancho. Of those 6 we've most likely lost 3 (one I agreed with) for the season, it's September and we've only played 4 games.

We're already playing a make shift defence because of a defensive injury crisis and we're now one attacking injury away from playing a make shift attack as well from the looks of it.

Fun times.
So you exclude Martial who has started a game this season while Sancho hasn't among your six options. Currently we have Hojlund, Rashford, Martial, Garnacho, Pellistri even in the absence of Antony. And Amad will be back soon enough. We bought two midfielders and sold one and we also retained Hannibal and Mainoo is primed to have a significant role so we have a larger group in midfield. Meaning we can afford to shift someone like Mount out wide if necessary he'll probably be better than Sancho on the right, a role Sancho hardly plays in the first place.
If your argument was for a Rashford or Bruno who you can't just use a body to replace then I'll see merit in it but it's Sancho. Just showing effort to track back and get involved is an upgrade. Like I said Sancho being unavailable will be insignificant to our results and league position.

didz

if he's refusing to apologies, i wonder what made him delete the post
Well it did take him a week to do so. I'm guessing his agent/PR people would have been on him to take it down right from the off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The lesson we need to take from this is on the importance of mentality when signing players. Like many I was enamoured by the possibility of signing Sancho due to the ridiculous YouTube compilations. But I had no idea he was such a fairweather player - for a 22/23 year old signed for enormous money to refuse to sort out a lack of atheticism two years on, says it all really. After that, I’m not surprised he’s not meeting training standards / rules and don’t see how he’s fit to play for the club in the future.

AR87

I have a theory a factor in ETH wanting Mount is due to his ability to provide cover and flexibility with his ability to play a number of positions (RW, LW, CAM, CM). This wouldn't have been as pressing a need in the squad if Sancho, a player who in theory could provide options on both flanks and at 10, but ETH saw enough last year to know he wasn't a player he could count on.

Bringing in Amrabat, as well as ETH's apparent plan to use Mainoo in the first team this season, should allow us to use Mount more in attacking positions, specifically on the right, where we are short on numbers and quality atm. It's worth noting that in preseason, before being injured, Mainoo was selected in what was obviously ETH's strongest XI, with Mount at RW against Real. It's just 1 match in preseason, but at the very least it's a tactical setup he was at least considering.

Perhaps I'm thinking about this way too hard, but to me it seems Mount and Sancho offer some similar qualities and positional flexibility, but one plays and trains with the actual intensity, commitment, and focus that ETH demands. It would not surprise me if Sancho's lack of dependability which ETH witnessed first hand last year played into the thinking that led to United chasing and ultimately landing Mount in the summer window.