Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
We fecked up.

We need to rectify the situation by throwing 100m and 25m to Raiola and get him this summer. Get rid of Martial and Pogba, these players are NOT good enough. Revamp the team.

If ole can't convince him, sack him.

It's time to start being ruthless.

El Zoido

Needs to be #1 priority, simple as that. He chose Dortmund as a better path for his career, and you can’t exactly say he was wrong. Bellingham has done the same. We should be a realistic option, despite the negativity on the caf, we’re a team in the up. But if other big clubs are in for him, it could be difficult, we cannot promise the biggest prizes. He’d be coming on the basis he takes us there. I’d much rather we went for him over Sancho though.

Supports
England
I think it takes a little more time than this, but then again I value longevity more than most.

It's only a matter of time, though.
I agree completely. So many judgements that now look stupid with hindsight have been made after this length of time.

One of my reservations is about how he'd manage having to methodically break teams down. A huge number of his goals are very similar in that they're from runs in behind.

Marcus

I think it was the release clause. If he did badly with us that wouldn't matter. If he did very well, would likely lose him unless we can pay him oodles of money to make him re-do his contract. Actually, we should have taken the clause. We would have negotiated a new contract with massive financial I centives without the clause if he was scoring hattrick for us all the time.

RashyForPM

Goes without saying as imo he is already a world class striker, but he’d offer us so much more than Martial. What has Martial not provided us with this season? Spotless finishing, strong hold-up play. What will Harland provide any club lucky enough to have him? Exactly those two things.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a cheat code. I liked his movement for the second goal.

The defending was still atrocious though.

Meadowlark

Supports
Chelsea
Incredible player. He'll go down as the best Norwegian player of all time before he's in his mid-twenties.
I think Martin Ødegaard may end up being an even better player than Haaland. Some of his performances last season were simply jaw-dropping.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

A few months ago I thought it was a close call between him and Sancho for best player of the 2000 generation but it isn't anymore.

Looks like Mbappe has found someone who can measure up to him in Haaland, in fact Haaland had a much better 2020 than him

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Overtaken Mbappe for me, scary prospect.

Really glad we didn't block Martial's development by signing him..
Two different types of players. Mbappe is really a AM whereas Haaland is a CF. I think it is always tough to compare players in different positions, playing in different leagues who are so young. I do personally rate Haaland higher, however this is due to me thinking he is built much better to play in the PL. For me, if Haaland comes in, then it will take him very little time to adapt to the league, Mbappe I think would take a little while.

I see the reverse problem if they went to Spain, where I feel Mbappe would find the transition easier. This is why I feel Mbappe goes to go to Madrid/Barca and Haaland comes to England or maybe Bayern.

However, when I look at the potential destinations in England, I actually see City and Chelsea as his most likely destinations. City due to his Father's connections and because the need a Kun replacement. Chelsea because since Abramovich has been there, all there best teams have had a similar type CF - Drogba/Costa - and the way their current squad is shaping up, they're going to look for the same. Only way I do not see Chelsea being super interested is if Abraham goes crazy and develops a ton in the next 18 months.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Two different types of players. Mbappe is really a AM whereas Haaland is a CF. I think it is always tough to compare players in different positions, playing in different leagues who are so young. I do personally rate Haaland higher, however this is due to me thinking he is built much better to play in the PL. For me, if Haaland comes in, then it will take him very little time to adapt to the league, Mbappe I think would take a little while.

I see the reverse problem if they went to Spain, where I feel Mbappe would find the transition easier. This is why I feel Mbappe goes to go to Madrid/Barca and Haaland comes to England or maybe Bayern.

However, when I look at the potential destinations in England, I actually see City and Chelsea as his most likely destinations. City due to his Father's connections and because the need a Kun replacement. Chelsea because since Abramovich has been there, all there best teams have had a similar type CF - Drogba/Costa - and the way their current squad is shaping up, they're going to look for the same. Only way I do not see Chelsea being super interested is if Abraham goes crazy and develops a ton in the next 18 months.
The kinda goalscorer Haaland, I think he's good enough to adapt anywhere, as long as he plays with creative players around who can put him through. His finishing is amazing, the precision of his shots. Some players just close their eyes and smash it, he belongs in the category of players who "aim" to guide the ball away from the keeper

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Mbappe really isn't an AM in any way shape or form. He's a goalscoring winger that runs into central space rather than hugging down the line with the ball

Mbappe plays like post 2015 Cristiano except he doesn't have his aerial prowess

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Is he even going to step foot in the PL ? He could go on and replace Lewandowski for 10 years. We'll see if he's about trying himself in different leagues or just stomping the Bundesliga.
Either way he'll be the best paid striker in no time...
My bet is he'll move to City to succeed Aguero, either next summer or the year after when the release clause kicks-in.

I'd be amazed if that was his final move before he starts to decline; unless City can manage Mino better than most clubs have been able to in the past. He'll definitely play for Juventus at some stage, maybe AC Milan.

Last edited:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Don't see Real Madrid or Barcelona missing on him

Should be a much cheaper option than Mbappe due to Dortmund not being Qatar owned (+ the rumor of a 75M release clause) while providing similar quality upfront.

Fosu-Mens

I think Martin Ødegaard may end up being an even better player than Haaland. Some of his performances last season were simply jaw-dropping.
One is a world class finisher and the other is a world class chance creator. Getting them on the same team with a possessionoriented style of play could be a great/deadly fundament for any team to build around.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
We fecked up.

We need to rectify the situation by throwing 100m and 25m to Raiola and get him this summer. Get rid of Martial and Pogba, these players are NOT good enough. Revamp the team.

If ole can't convince him, sack him.

It's time to start being ruthless.
He's probably the hottest prospect in the game right now. Every top club on earth will be after him when he eventually leaves. It's possible that no matter who negotiates with him for United has no chance of convincing him. Surely a sack for failing to beat clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, City, Liverpool, etc. for his signature is very harsh.

Not saying you shouldn't move those names on. But Haaland should play no part in those plans, except for Martial maybe, since he's playing the same position.

cyberman

He's probably the hottest prospect in the game right now. Every top club on earth will be after him when he eventually leaves. It's possible that no matter who negotiates with him for United has no chance of convincing him. Surely a sack for failing to beat clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, City, Liverpool, etc. for his signature is very harsh.

Not saying you shouldn't move those names on. But Haaland should play no part in those plans, except for Martial maybe, since he's playing the same position.
Is it a meme around here that we only have a chance to sign players when "Nobody else was in for him" and next season every elite side in Europe are going to trample all over us?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Is it a meme around here that we only have a chance to sign players when "Nobody else was in for him" and next season every elite side in Europe are going to trample all over us?
Genuine question but when was the last time we signed a player when competing with another elite side in Europe for him?

cyberman

Genuine question but when was the last time we signed a player when competing with another elite side in Europe for him?
Most of our kids are bought against competition from the top sides in Europe. Thst Diallo kid last summer?
Its rarely a bidding war anyway, City esnted Maguire but pulled out when we agreed a deal, Fred was City bound, Sancho as well.
Its why Sancho seemed like a free run. When a player wants to go to a side its rrally down to negotiations between those 2 sides.
Hell PSG and Madrid were in for VDB

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Ehm, what has that to do with what I posted?

Every single one of the clubs I enlisted might not have a chance of signing him either. Nothing to do with United. When the whole world is after you and he has a favorite and this favorite isn't you, there's nothing you can do about that.

InfiniteBoredom

Thought Pogba too but didn't know about Diallo and Juve
I forgot Sanchez as well, not a surprise since we all want to forget that episode. AdM too if you want to count (although it was a case of PSG couldn’t afford him that summer due to FFP)

But we have been actually quite successful in getting top names since Fergie retired, despite the mess we are in.

cyberman

Ehm, what has that to do with what I posted?

Every single one of the clubs I enlisted might not have a chance of signing him either. Nothing to do with United. When the whole world is after you and he has a favorite and this favorite isn't you, there's nothing you can do about that.
Its because youre inferring that these clubs weren't in for him before.
Thats just all I read about our German targets on here. Next year every club in the world will be after him!!!!!!!!.....

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Its because youre inferring that these clubs weren't in for him before.
Thats just all I read about our German targets on here. Next year every club in the world will be after him!!!!!!!!.....
That might be because you read things between the lines that aren't there. Can't blame me for your insecurities since I didn't mean it that way. My only point was that you can't sack someone for failing to sign one of the most difficult to sign players in the world at that point in time. And that's what a 21/22 year old with most likely unprecedented goal scoring stats will probably be.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I can’t see anything other than him joining City when they reload next summer. They’ll go all in for the next 2 years with Pep and they know full well investment is needed.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I can’t see anything other than him joining City when they reload next summer. They’ll go all in for the next 2 years with Pep and they know full well investment is needed.
Cant see City paying the money Dortmund would want. It would most likely be twice their current record.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
His 75M clause looks like peanuts now. Is there some shady Raiola story of why he only cost 20M? It looked awfully low at the time

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
His 75M clause looks like peanuts now. Is there some shady Raiola story of why he only cost 20M? It looked awfully low at the time
Low release clause is why he joined Salzburg in the first place, same reason why he joined Dortmund. Nailed starter in attack-minded teams, and then a cheap get out of jail card when he has outgrown the team. Both moves were stepping stones to bigger and better things.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I wouldn't take the €75m figure too literally, that number comes from a Bild article where they claimed to know the exact number, but couldn't give a more precise date than "not this summer" and in any case, Zorc will try his hardest to re-negotiate Haaland's deal, so the facts could easily have changed in two years time.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Hell PSG and Madrid were in for VDB
This was the opposite as VDB ended up in United after Real Madrid pulled out on signing him. He declared about it earlier in the season and it seemed he was quite upset as he really thought he was going to play for Real Madrid.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I wouldn't take the €75m figure too literally, that number comes from a Bild article where they claimed to know the exact number, but couldn't give a more precise date than "not this summer" and in any case, Zorc will try his hardest to re-negotiate Haaland's deal, so the facts could easily have changed in two years time.
It's obvious that release clause, even if it exists, is immaterial - unless he wants to go to one out of two clubs who can then simply negotiate wages/fees with him and his agents. Otherwise, it'll be a bidding war where clubs look to interject early (before the clause) in the hopes of enticing him whilst putting other potential suitors off because of the transfer fee.

Haaland will be Dortmund's golden goose as no player, before or after, will go for what he will, imo.