Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikelesh Reddy

It looks like we are very close now to signing him.Hes obviously a hugely talented young striker and it would be nice to sign a top player like him for next season...

theklr

Wtf did this “playing time” Bollox come from? The Sun? There isn’t any reason at all to suggest that he is making such demands.

Newsflash: journalists make shit up - because people believe it
Fabrizio Romano.

And it has been made pretty clear by his father, his team, and previous career choice. Back then he had offers from bigger clubs than RB Salzburg.

Ban

This will stall Martial's development so I'm not really sure about it. Even worse if he'll want a number 9.

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
While this is true, it just seems very weird that he then pulled the stunt on his instagram afterwards?

Why did he feel the need to then do a fake photoshoot with 3/4 other shirts, including the united one especially? it's very weird.
Not really, drumming up media interest before a transfer helps bringing up his profile. Players gain a lot of money through sponsor after all. The last 3 shirts I expect was nothing but him trying to be funny about it all after the picture was already taken by a third party and would have come out eventually anyways.

midnightmare

This will stall Martial's development so I'm not really sure about it. Even worse I'd he'll want a number 9.
Nonsense. If Tony goes into a sulk because he doesn't like competition, he doesn't have the mentality we should be looking for. Top teams need great bench and squad options and constant pressure on starters to be at their best to keep their spots. Poborsky didn't stop Beckham breaking through, for example. If he's good enough, he will keep his spot. And if he's mentally strong, he will improve and thrive. If not, he should move on - and that would only be to a smaller team, if his aim is to be in a team / squad where his position isn't under threat.

Think about it - let's assume Mason continues his trajectory. Would you also advise selling Mason because it might "stall Martial's development" if Mason became a threat? Do you also think we should not sign midfielders because it might stall development for one or more of McTominay / Fred / Garner / Levitt?

Bratt

About Haaland winning the austria’s player of the year, which didn’t really make sense, here’s the explanation.

the jury was the 12 managers in the top division in Austria, and they could vote for a player playing in said division or an austrian player playing abroad.

It’s the first time in 10 years that a foreigner wins this prize, first time since 2010 that a player playing in Austria wins it, and Haaland is the youngest ever to win it.

OL29

Nonsense. If Tony goes into a sulk because he doesn't like competition, he doesn't have the mentality we should be looking for. Top teams need great bench and squad options and constant pressure on starters to be at their best to keep their spots. Poborsky didn't stop Beckham breaking through, for example. If he's good enough, he will keep his spot. And if he's mentally strong, he will improve and thrive. If not, he should move on - and that would only be to a smaller team, if his aim is to be in a team / squad where his position isn't under threat.

Think about it - let's assume Mason continues his trajectory. Would you also advise selling Mason because it might "stall Martial's development" if Mason became a threat? Do you also think we should not sign midfielders because it might stall development for one or more of McTominay / Fred / Garner / Levitt?
He was being sarcastic. There's a weird obsession with taking sly digs at Martial on this forum at the moment(not you), probably because Pogba hasn't played in so long and Rashford has been in such good form. The Caf isn't happy unless it's scapegoating one of our more talented players.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Martial is 24 for fecks sake, he shouldn't be needing more development... he should be getting close to the finished article. He's one of our most experienced players in this current squad. Fair enough we have moved him up top instead of a wide forward, but people seriously exagerate his ability. He's a decent player but not a top, top talent imo.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
That looks odd, Alaba and Sabitzer doesn't even play in Austrian league. If it's for Austrian players only then how did Haaland win it.
The reward is for Austrians and players that is plays in or has played in the Austrian league system in 2019.

Gerrardian Slip

I am a bit sceptical to this potential signing. He obviously has qualities and he is still very young, but i'm not completely sold. There is just a feeling there that he is not as good as he has shown recently? Weird sentence and I might be way off, but thats my subjective opinion. If we get a reasonable price, great - but not for a huge fee. I am norwegian, so i've seen him play a fair amount. We should focus on a creative, agile midfielder and a winger. We already have a huge talent in Greenwood.

midnightmare

He was being sarcastic. There's a weird obsession with taking sly digs at Martial on this forum at the moment(not you), probably because Pogba hasn't played in so long and Rashford has been in such good form. The Caf isn't happy unless it's scapegoating one of our more talented players.
:lol: OK. My bad then. I just get irked every time I see someone make that argument and this time (given the length of the damn thread) didn't check past posts for bias...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Fabrizio Romano.

And it has been made pretty clear by his father, his team, and previous career choice. Back then he had offers from bigger clubs than RB Salzburg.
I think we should use a less strong word than "demand" here so we don't get the impression that the player is holding the club to unreasonable demands.

Haalands priority is playtime. Like you pointed out he chose Salzburg over a bigger club, in this case Juventus, for playtime.

What Haaland will no want from his new club is a reasonable amount of playtime, not that he *demands* a starter position. Or in short, which team has the shortest way from signing to regular playing time.

I feel like the word demand has a bit of a negative connotation here, especially with Raiola involved. Whereas 'wants' is a more appropriate word to go with, since its reasonable.

OL29

:lol: OK. My bad then. I just get irked every time I see someone make that argument and this time (given the length of the damn thread) didn't check past posts for bias...
Yeah, the thing is, I’ve seen way more people complain about that argument then I’ve seen actually making the argument. Just comes across as people desperate to have a pop at one of our players (again, not you :lol:).

Ban

Scapegoating? I know he's your favorite player and only one who has cantonaesque touch about him but don't be so dramatic.

OL29

Scapegoating? I know he's your favorite player and only one who has cantonaesque touch about him but don't be so dramatic.
I don't have a favourite player, I'm nearly 30, and I never even compared him with Cantona so stop lying. He's definitely become a scapegoat on this forum though, along with Pogba and Rashford, it's nothing new, people tend to place a disproportionate amount of blame on our more talented players.

Ban

I don't have a favourite player, I'm nearly 30, and I never even compared him with Cantona so stop lying. He's definitely become a scapegoat on this forum though, along with Pogba and Rashford, it's nothing new, people tend to place a disproportionate amount of blame on our more talented players.
Maybe it was someone else, who's younger than 30 then.

In any case it was a joke but don't mix criticizing the player with scapegoating.

On the other side of that argument some players can't ever be criticized without someone jumping and calling it a scapegoating and a witch hunt.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Bizarre that people are talking about selling Martial when it's already been fairly unanimously agreed that we need competition for places. And if
Haaland expects a guaranteed starting place, we should move on as nobody should get that, least of all a 19 year old who's still pretty raw.

OleTheGreat

I think i know what Ole thinks could work. I can see what Ole is doing. He is properly taking us back to the 4-4-2 formation with as much as 4 CFs in the squad, just like how it was during the SAF days. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Haaland can all play as part of the 2 up front. In fact, Rashford and Martial can play on the left along with James (who can also play on the right). Greenwood and Rashford can also play on the right if called upon to do so. Therefore i feel Ole will revert back to the 4-4-2 formation which inevitable means we only need 2 solid midfielders.

What's my huge worry is, i don't think any of our midfielders including Pogba have the discipline to be in a midfield 2. It will be very difficult to be in the shoes of Scholesy or Keane or even Carrick/ Fletcher. Therefore Ole, please do not revert back to a 4-2-2 because our squad cannot play this way. We need 3 midfielders and we need better ones. I hope we make proper midfield signings along with the striker.

ReddBalls

Fabrizio Romano.

Yeah, but he WILL get "playing time" at United. He might not start all the games, but it is obvious that he will at least play as a sub in the games he is not starting.

OL29

Maybe it was someone else, who's younger than 30 then.

In any case it was a joke but don't mix criticizing the player with scapegoating.

On the other side of that argument some players can't ever be criticized without someone jumping and calling it a scapegoating and a witch hunt.
Well when the criticism gets as personal as it does for certain players, it's hardly surprising is it? It's toxic.

Ban

Well when the criticism gets as personal as it does for certain players, it's hardly surprising is it? It's toxic.
If someone says for instance Martial isn't good enough and should be sold, is that personal?

OL29

If someone says for instance Martial isn't good enough and should be sold, is that personal?
Not at all, that's just an opinion, it's all the other shit that's slung at him (and others) that I dislike. All the body language experts are particularly annoying, we've even had people discussing whether he's autistic, it's madness. People are also dishonest in their criticisms, they make up scenarios in their head that have yet to even happen and use it as an excuse to have a dig.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
About Haaland winning the austria’s player of the year, which didn’t really make sense, here’s the explanation.

the jury was the 12 managers in the top division in Austria, and they could vote for a player playing in said division or an austrian player playing abroad.

It’s the first time in 10 years that a foreigner wins this prize, first time since 2010 that a player playing in Austria wins it, and Haaland is the youngest ever to win it.
Not too different from Germany's Footballer of the Year award, by the looks of it...
Eligible are German players abroad and players in Germany.
Foreign winners in recent years include Ribéry (2008), Robben (2010), Grafite (2009), De Bruyne (2015).

Ban

Not at all, that's just an opinion, it's all the other shit that's slung at him (and others) that I dislike. All the body language experts are particularly annoying, we've even had people discussing whether he's autistic, it's madness. People are also dishonest in their criticisms, they make up scenarios in their head that have yet to even happen and use it as an excuse to have a dig.
Didnt see the autistic part. If that's true that's completely unacceptable.

Sambob

Thanks. This transfer now has my approval.
Apart from this bit
"He constantly pulls off the shoulders of the central defenders "
If you do that in the premier league that would be a straight red card. What league is he currently playing in anyway, Fuc**ng Wookie league or something, Kashyyyk Primera?

peridigm

Apart from this bit
"He constantly pulls off the shoulders of the central defenders "
If you do that in the premier league that would be a straight red card. What league is he currently playing in anyway, Fuc**ng Wookie league or something, Kashyyyk Primera?
Is English your first language?

midnightmare

I think i know what Ole thinks could work. I can see what Ole is doing. He is properly taking us back to the 4-4-2 formation with as much as 4 CFs in the squad, just like how it was during the SAF days. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Haaland can all play as part of the 2 up front. In fact, Rashford and Martial can play on the left along with James (who can also play on the right). Greenwood and Rashford can also play on the right if called upon to do so. Therefore i feel Ole will revert back to the 4-4-2 formation which inevitable means we only need 2 solid midfielders.

What's my huge worry is, i don't think any of our midfielders including Pogba have the discipline to be in a midfield 2. It will be very difficult to be in the shoes of Scholesy or Keane or even Carrick/ Fletcher. Therefore Ole, please do not revert back to a 4-2-2 because our squad cannot play this way. We need 3 midfielders and we need better ones. I hope we make proper midfield signings along with the striker.
How about "Ole's never played 4-4-2 in any club he's been at"? Madness. 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 and variants of these have been all he's used. He's experimented with the 3-5-2 at times, but those have typically when in the midst of injury crises and one would assume that he's seen clearly that the formation just doesn't work. I don't see Ole moving to 4-4-2. He's simply doing what any good club / manager should - ensuring depth and building a squad. We've all seen what happened when Martial was missing...

Status
Not open for further replies.