ETH does not have to win the Europa League this season

KeanoMagicHat

I don't think it's ever fair to say that not winning a major cup competition is a failure in a manager's first season. Knockout competitions are hard to win - that's why Fergie only has two Champions League titles, or why Guardiola has yet to win one since leaving Barcelona.

If Ten Hag stays here ten years and never wins a European trophy, that's a failure. If we feck up the EL from here, that's just a bit of a disappointment but hardly a managerial failure. Unless he plays De Gea in midfield or something.
Yeah it’s this sort of mentality that leads to 13 or 14 managers getting sacked in a season and many teams doing as bad or worse after the manager gets sacked. You either trust a manager’s overall ability or you don’t, you don’t base it off one off games.

KeanoMagicHat

Then you may as well stop being a United fan as the 7-0 will always be there, even if ETH wins three PL and CL in a row.

The alternative is that you just get on with it. The 7-0 didn’t help Liverpool win the league. It didn’t kick-start their season. Hell most likely they won’t even qualify for the CL.

They are having a joke of a season after fighting for the Quadruple less than 1 year ago. That’s Moyes 2013/14 level bad. Actually it’s worse as they still have the same manager who should know better. Enough said.
Yeah I’ve listened to whole podcasts and read long article analysis on Liverpool this season that haven’t mentioned that game once. Immediately afterwards I thought it would be one of those long lasting things but Liverpool went back to losing and United are doing alright so it hasn’t.

SAFMUTD

or it will be his first failure as manager for us.

The current title odds are: Man Utd 2.5, Juventus 6.5, Roma 6.5, Leverkusen 9.5, Sporting 11, Sevilla 13, Feyenoord 15, Royal Union 31

Yes betting odds aren't really directly predictive of team quality but we are clear favorites and fully healthy the best team left.

The rewards of winning this competition are also greater than anything else we can achieve this season. We would get the first seed in the Cl groups and a chance at the Supercup. If you had to pick between top four and the Europa only a fool would pick top 4. The FA cup is tricky because it has been longer since we've won it last and I'd love for us to win it but the Europa is the objectively better prize.
I don't think you know how odds work, it's basically 2.5 times more probable that we don't win than we do according to those odds.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I don’t think he has to win it. If he gets us top 4 and he’s already won a cup, maybe the fa cup. Then that’s a decent season. Would be great to win this again but it going all the way is gonna affect our performances in the league and cost us top 4 then is that what we really want? Could get to the final and lose again and still be clinging onto top 4.

JimmyWils

Why is their such a standardised opinion going around that we need a second trophy in his first season or it will be a failure.

If you'd been told we'd win the EFL and (hopefully) get top 4 this season then most people on here would have snapped your hand off after the last few years. Seems to have been widely forgotten that this season is already better than expected or planned.

We're a club in transition under a new manager who has barely signed any of his intended players, and likely being sold soon.

Get a grip.

AndersB

When I read the OP the image that appears in my mind is of a kid throwing a tantrum at his birthday party because he didn't get the toy he wanted.

He doesn't -have to- win any specific competition. What does that even mean? That we should sack him? That he has "failed"? (Failed what, exactly?)

Sauxees Moi Hui

The only competition that matters and that we have a chance of winning this season is the FA Cup. And I'd love to win that. The other important objective is getting top 4. Beyond that, the other cup competitions (including the League Cup) leave me more or less nonplussed - nice to win them, but I won't lose sleep over them.

This season is a success regardless because finally, after years and years of failure and questionable decisions made off the pitch, we fans are starting to feel that the club is moving forward in a positive direction. And ETH has played a huge part in that.

Irwin99

I'm more confident about the Europa League than I am about the FA cup. Brighton wont be easy at all and City would love to beat us in the final (which i think is only a few days after the EL final)

Juve and Sporting still look a nasty threat but get past them and the EL should be ours I think. I don't think we should be worrying about Sevilla when we've beaten far better Spanish teams this season (and i don't buy the idea that their record in the competition will help them).

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Easier said than done.

This.
Poor ETH suffering from his own success. People keep forgetting its his first season, even Klopp and Pep struggled in their debut season. ETH out performed expectations and some dumbasses consider that the new baseline.
This.

Thread goes to ignore folder!
No time for rubbish.
Oh look, "permanent stain".
Lovely..
Slow day, huh?

Erik has to..he HAS to!!!..
or else..chop the b*s*ards head off!!

Alfie092

Cups are so unpredictable as if one small decision goes against us, it prevents us from winning the cup. Whereas, in the Premier League, you can correct any wrongful decisions over the course of the season.

So while on paper we are the favourites to win the Europa League, we are still 5 games away from the trophy and anything can happen! The very least I expect from this season now is a top 4 finish in the league to go with our League Cup. As for the FA Cup and Europa League, I would like us to at least reach the FA Cup final and get to the semi-finals of the Europa League first, if we get there I believe we have a chance of winning 1 more cup, even though we would most likely have to come up against Man City in the final!

jem

I didn't say we were, I said fully healthy we have the best team. This thread shows how lacking in comprehension skills people are. I said it will be a failure not that he should be sacked if he doesn't win it or he would be a failure or the season would be a failure or whatever else has been imagined.

Even got accused of being an Ole fan boy! what an insult.
If you want to go there, then you might want to work on your punctuation. You should have included a comma before and a comma after 'fully healthy'. Pedantic, I know, but you chose to break out the insults.

Lukaku's first touch

I feel that the op made a ridiculous statement.

I think ETH has exceeded all expectations! As another poster has put it, this is the "victim of your own success case" indeed.
At the start of this season many would have taken a top four finish and a trophy. That would have been seen as a success. I think that was almost unrealistic given the last season. Then the calamity of the beginning of the current season... no chance. THEN.... big calls were made. Captain and English darling...on THE BENCH. Possible Goat... on the bench. Big calls. Big balls. We started winning regardless. Mctominay over Casemiro? Big calls big balls. United lost but Ten Hag won. If you produce you play. No more Mctominay.

Tottenham showed us the best of the future (so far) ... and the worst of the past.
Fulham punctiated it. Garnacho's last minute winner and Ronald's last gasp at being relevant.
I was elated after that winner. Then Ronaldo did what he did. Taking away the moment for us fans and Garnacho.

Through all of this ETH stood firm. A stoic figure. His principles and ideas would not be changed by popular opinion or by punditry. He changed games on multiple occasions by formation and substitution.

"They fecking can play football!"
He's changed the mentality in the team. You can see that there is a team collective. "Good is not good enough" Standards must be met. If they aren't... sit. (He has many quotes already but my favourite is "eh".)

He has been unable to pick his preferred 11for the ENTIRETY of the season.

"We need a striker!" Sorry no money.

Wout Weghorst. Enough said.
End of the window. "Now we need a midfielder!"
Sabitzer (who I personally think should be kept on... But) Good but not what we need. We win with these players.... But would Weghorst be a 10 under any other manager? Needs must! Without Casemiro, Erikson, and a competent 9.

Given all that and more... Eric Ten Haag has exceeded my expectations. If we finish outside the top 4 it will be disappointing. There have been terrible results . But there have been brilliant ones.

More importantly there is someone who will not accept less than being your best at EVERY opportunity!

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Why is their such a standardised opinion going around that we need a second trophy in his first season or it will be a failure.

If you'd been told we'd win the EFL and (hopefully) get top 4 this season then most people on here would have snapped your hand off after the last few years. Seems to have been widely forgotten that this season is already better than expected or planned.

We're a club in transition under a new manager who has barely signed any of his intended players, and likely being sold soon.

Get a grip.
Thanks for this post. I’d say no more

Manncunian

What even is this thread? How is this even a thread? What is going on in here :lol:?!

To quote another poster, “get a grip”.

led_scholes

I kind of get this point of view.

I don't truly believe this but playing devil's advocate, if we don't win this or the FA Cup, the only thing he has over Ole is the Carabao Cup, where we didn't play anyone decent until Newcastle. Then there's the 7-0, which might just be the worst result we've ever had in our history. Not to mention all the other heavy losses we've had this season, which are up there with Ole final season results. :nervous:
How can you compare 3 seasons with one not even finished yet?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I highly doubt we’d win this as we don’t have the required squad depth.

We’re a Martial, Rashford, Casemiro or Bruno injury/suspension away from completely capitulating. We also have a midfield that only ticks when Casemiro is playing. MCT tends to play in the shadows for the most part which isn’t ideal in bigger games.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If you want to go there, then you might want to work on your punctuation. You should have included a comma before and a comma after 'fully healthy'. Pedantic, I know, but you chose to break out the insults.
That's fair, my punctuation while posting on this site has been awful. The 'insult' (more of an observation) was not meant at you in particular, and is more about the things I mentioned like people taking this as anti ETH or that I'm saying this season would be a failure if we don't win it. I think a bunch of people read the thread title and not the actual post.

I don't think you know how odds work, it's basically 2.5 times more probable that we don't win than we do according to those odds.
I said we are clear favorites which we are and the purpose of the odds was to help demonstrate that.

Tarrou

his first failure was getting cunted 4-0 by Brentford

he's already won a trophy though so it'll be a great season if we finish top 4, and above my expectations

wormdoktor

The current title odds are: Man Utd 2.5, Juventus 6.5, Roma 6.5, Leverkusen 9.5, Sporting 11, Sevilla 13, Feyenoord 15, Royal Union 31

Yes betting odds aren't really directly predictive of team quality but we are clear favorites and fully healthy the best team left.

The rewards of winning this competition are also greater than anything else we can achieve this season. We would get the first seed in the Cl groups and a chance at the Supercup. If you had to pick between top four and the Europa only a fool would pick top 4. The FA cup is tricky because it has been longer since we've won it last and I'd love for us to win it but the Europa is the objectively better prize.

Failure is such a strong word in this context, and this attitude really is the thief of joy. Erik has given us so much that's good this season already that not winning the EL would not matter in the slightest. Last August, had we been offered the current situation at this stage of the season, is there a fan who wouldn't have accepted it?

If we want to talk "failure", then OK, he's already had his first, second and third as our manager - Brentford 4-0, City 6-3, Pool 7-0. Even given those results, we're still having our best season in many years, we're fun to watch again, and we have a fear factor around us once more.

So no, missing out on the EL would not constitute ETH's failure. I still think we'll win it though :devil:

mav_9me

We have had essentially 2 attackers playing well all season, Rashford and Garnacho. Both are injured. And no striker really this season. And here we are, where not winning a cup competition with Sevilla, Sporting, Juve, Roma etc is a failure.

So tell me how are we going to score goals without our only 2 in form attackers and no striker (wont be long before Martial gets injured)?

gajender

We have had essentially 2 attackers playing well all season, Rashford and Garnacho. Both are injured. And no striker really this season. And here we are, where not winning a cup competition with Sevilla, Sporting, Juve, Roma etc is a failure.

So tell me how are we going to score goals without our only 2 in form attackers and no striker (wont be long before Martial gets injured)?
Cup competitions can be tricky and can always throw up surprise results , but pretending that teams Like Sevilla, Sporting , Juve, Roma are anything special is taking things to other extreme .

And About the question how would we score goals well ETH would have to find a way and others players need to step up but I have no doubt they would .

Nicolarra90

I wouldn't say he has to win it.

Utd are in with a good shout. But should get CL qualification through the league.

Juventus are also a dangerous proposition as they will see it as their ticket to the CL next year. They aren't going to get it through the league.

I have a feeling Mourinho will scum this title over the line with Roma
Would be great to beat him in the final after the heritage rant.

Nicolarra90

Anything can happen in a cup competition so no. We probably should have won it more under Fergie but even as the best teams it's difficult.

No EL and outside top 4 would be a failure, do one of them and he's achieved expectations.
Those weren't the expectations in August. It would be gutting to miss both but we don't have to fool ourselves.

Taroliev

If we were doomed to end this season outside of top 4, I'd tend to agree. As long as we aren't, however, I'm fine with missing out on the EL.

As things stand, we have a squad that's starting to look worse for the wear, and knowing our paucity in terms of back up options, I don't expect us to automatically or easily negotiate a tricky tie against Sevilla. They seem to have the plot armour in this competition as far as history is concerned. And, we are missing our own talismans in Rashford and Garnacho.

Sure, it would be a huge boost for us if we won. It would be EtH's first (hopefully of many) European title and a testament to our progress since our tumultuous start of the season. And that's exactly the point; it would be special, a massive bonus, and not so much an expectation as finishing in top four is.

Reactions: top1whoisman

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In 10 years time, nobody's going to care that Liverpool finished 7th and we finished 3/4th. It's not even footnote worthy.

That 7-0 is a permanent stain on the clubs history. And he was the one who oversaw that happen, until he does something more notable in our history.
:lol: Feck me. Get a grip. That result was just the latest in a series of game where we got our arsed handed to us by Liverpool and City. It’s only a “permanent stain” to people who argue about football on Twitter and can’t handle hilarious “bantz” involving the number 7. ETH needs to win things at United and he’s made a good start, with one trophy bagged already. This obviously needs to continue but for reasons that have feck all to do with one bad result against Liverpool. And if it does continue nobody rational will care about that result any more than Liverpool fans care about Villa putting 7 past them a couple of years ago.

jem

That's fair, my punctuation while posting on this site has been awful. The 'insult' (more of an observation) was not meant at you in particular, and is more about the things I mentioned like people taking this as anti ETH or that I'm saying this season would be a failure if we don't win it. I think a bunch of people read the thread title and not the actual post.
Fair enough.

mav_9me

Cup competitions can be tricky and can always throw up surprise results , but pretending that teams Like Sevilla, Sporting , Juve, Roma are anything special is taking things to other extreme .

And About the question how would we score goals well ETH would have to find a way and others players need to step up but I have no doubt they would .
I am not saying they are special but they are more than capable of beating us particularly now that our level is down without Rashford and Garnacho.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don't truly believe this but playing devil's advocate, if we don't win this or the FA Cup, the only thing he has over Ole is the Carabao Cup, where we didn't play anyone decent until Newcastle. Then there's the 7-0, which might just be the worst result we've ever had in our history. Not to mention all the other heavy losses we've had this season, which are up there with Ole final season results. :nervous:
Or, you know, you could just not make stupid comparisons to a previous season under a different manager without adding context to either. People trying to compare ETH to Ole based purely on certain results are infuriating.

As far as Europa goes, anyone saying anyone HAS to win a cup competition is being dramatic. Should we win? Most likely (IF we stay fit of course). But it's a knockout cup competition and history tells us that luck can play a huge role in winning these things at certain points (just look at our loss under Ole in the final)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not sure how you can judge based on a single cup competition. It only takes a bad refereeing decision, slightly off performance or piece of bad luck and you're out.

4th or The Europa League for me is a huge success based on last season,the squad we have, and being forced to make do with free transfers/loans in January. If we get both that's a big bonus but i reckon the Europa is a big ask unless tottenham and co feck up enough to allow us to rest players for league games. 4th is surely a priority over chancing it for a cup that isn't the CL.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not sure. Those were mine too, but I'm very prone to get carried away :lol:
I think everyone would have been happy when he took over if we knew he’d secure CL football in his first season, either by securing top four or winning the EL.

There are other scenarios where he could still be doing an acceptable job without either of the above (when you consider the shit he had to deal with in getting rid of Ronaldo without an adequate replacement) but yeah, CL football next season means job done for year 1.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

All two of them?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

I will relay this message to ETH.

I, along with a few optimimstic friends like @coolredwine and @anant, put 20 euro bet on us winning the Europa league and a 100 euro bet on winning the premier league, fa cup and league cup in october. Would have been a good pay out but looks like we will win very less.

Djemba-Djemba

We haven't finished top 4 and won a trophy in the same season since Fergie retired.

If we finish top 4 then as disappointing as it will be to not win the EL or FA cup it will still have been a very good season. Especially with it being Ten Hag's first season here and the various problems we've had.