Europa League 2019/20

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Good, less time for commercial activities over the summer. At this rate pissing off the sponsors is the only way Woodward gets the boot.
He won’t get the boot mate. It’s the commercial side he excels at.
We could do with a DOF to deal with players and let Ole get on with the football side

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
They said that about Ajax.
We aren't Ajax, we don't get the chance to get a chemistry in an average league

Most of those players are playing in the u23's - how are we doing there?

Devil81

I'd go all out to win it. It's already our most likely route into the Champions league the following season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Has an English team ever actually put in a proper league title challenge while playing on Thursdays in the EL/Uefa Cup?
Chelsea won it I think.

Edit - they weren't in Europe at all.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Every time an English side goes into the Europa, fans always want this sort of thing to happen (play the kids) and it never, ever happens. Even less chance now that you can get in the Champions League.

Pogba and a couple of others might get a rest, that's it.
If I remember correctly, we did something like it when we dropped down into it during the 11/12 season. The likes of Pogba and Cleverley getting rare game time as we attempted to ease them into the first team.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No chance Ole will play the kids, it will be the same shit the club doesn't manage to sell and are on high wages.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Chelsea won it I think.

Edit - they weren't in Europe at all.
That's pretty much my point. Feels like the EL schedule somehow makes a proper title challenge pretty much unlikely, which on its turn will probably make for another wasted season unless you actually end up winning the EL.

While on the other hand there's a couple of good examples of teams rebounding and challenging or even winning the league after not qualifying for Europe at all the season before.

Something like this is so depressing, seems like Chelsea's 3rd place finish while winning the EL is pretty much the maximum, and you need a lot of other potential top 4 teams to be in hopeless form. Europa League sounds better than no European football at all, but in reality it's probably more like a curse or some downward spiral.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11960/10099975/europa-league-help-or-hindrance

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Won't that be 7th if Man. City win the cup?

I remember last year Burnley had to start in late July and have three rounds just to get into the normal competition.
I hope you're right. What if City doesn't win the Cup? They're running in fumes at the moment. Entirely possible they lose.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I hope you're right. What if City doesn't win the Cup? They're running in fumes at the moment. Entirely possible they lose.
Just goes down to 6th and assume cup winners get priority over 6th so you or Arsenal would have to play a few qualifying rounds.

JMack1234

It's just like the first season under Mourinho. It's a second chance to qualify for the Champions League.

The kids should be more than good enough to get us through the group but then steadily take it more seriously as the season goes on.

Siorac

Every time an English side goes into the Europa, fans always want this sort of thing to happen (play the kids) and it never, ever happens. Even less chance now that you can get in the Champions League.

Pogba and a couple of others might get a rest, that's it.
I don't think Real Madrid base their squad rotation on our schedule.

El Zoido

I hate this competition. I know it sounds elitist but I don’t care one jot about it. I’d be happy if we didn’t even enter.

buckooo1978

will be good to see our young players get plenty of experience in it next year

every cloud

Jacob

Our best shot at CL. Make those feckers earn their wages (by working hard and not actually performing good enough).

Big Andy

Bloke
Imagine Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Juve pissing about in this.
That wouldn’t happen anyway as their respective leagues outside of 2 or 3 are fecking shite.

Here any team can beat any other on its day (except Liverpool and city who never drop points)

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Our players will half-arse it thinking they're too good for it, the fans won't enjoy it and it's going to ruin our league form. Can't wait!

Eddy_JukeZ

We might have to win this to qualify for the Champions League.

I don't see our league campaign going well.

Siorac

That wouldn’t happen anyway as their respective leagues outside of 2 or 3 are fecking shite.

Here any team can beat any other on its day (except Liverpool and city who never drop points)
Erm - so you can just as easily say that in La Liga any team can beat any other on its day, except Real Madrid and Barcelona who never drop points.

Big Andy

Bloke
Erm - so you can just as easily say that in La Liga any team can beat any other on its day, except Real Madrid and Barcelona who never drop points.
So then Madrid and Barca wouldn’t be in the europa league then ...

United Hobbit

I would be inclined to go the Jose route and take it seriously, aim to win it. This is because there is no guarantee we are getting top 4 next season, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham are the teams we are likely to be competing with for top 4 and they may strengthen, I think unfortunately top 2 is between City and Liverpool again :houllier:

If the current top 4 contenders mentioned above continue to regress (maybe Spurs have regressed least) you potentially need to factor in clubs like Leicester or Wolves challenging although unlikely you have to factor it in

I would like to see a mix of kids and experienced players in the initial group stages, gives the kids some experience and seeing where they fit in the side but also having the experience to help them and avoid any potential embarrassment. If the group is won early, use the kids/ squad players for the remaining games

Knockout stages, use your strongest side unless challenging for the league (very unlikely we will be but just in case) we need to try and win it as it's a potentially more accessible route back into the CL and if we go out early we have no back up option if we fail to get top 4 again. Arsenal and Chelsea look to have been taking it seriously and it may benefit them if they win given how the top 4 is still open between 3 clubs currently. It also profited us when we took it seriously with Jose.

It is also a confidence boost as it is a European trophy and will, however small start to help rebuild some of our reputation that has taken a hit this season, will give the players, especially some of the young ones we are bringing through a taste of how good big trophies are to win, adding motivation to try for even bigger ones.

TheRedHearted

What happens if Chelsea win the EPL and we surpass arsenal? Do we get CL spot or does that only happen if a PL side wins the CL?

el3mel

What happens if Chelsea win the EPL and we surpass arsenal? Do we get CL spot or does that only happen if a PL side wins the CL?
You mean EL. Assuming they also finished 4th.

Nothing. Only top 4 will get CL spots.

Woziak

We are still Man United and as such should have a thorough review from top to bottom, the Glaziers if they are serious about continuing as owners of the club, then they have to firstly remove Woodward or change his role to CFO, bring in a Director of Football like Edwin Van De Sar who has experience of awakening a sleeping giant and creating a youth system which is the envy of the World.

The next stage is to give the manager very definite targets next season which would be the following targets;
  • Top 3 PL finish or 80 points guaranteeing CL football
  • Win either the FA, League or Europa Cup
  • Remove 10 players from the playing squad
  • Buy the right 8 players
  • Promote 4 players from within the club
  • Improve and streamline the Scouting network
  • Sack the U23 Manager, Ricky Spragia and moving Kieran McKenna back to Manager
  • Bring back Rene Meletsuen as first team coach
  • Establish Mike Phelan as Head of Scouting
Remove the Deadwood
Darmian 10M, Rojo 10M, A Valencia (Free), A Young (Free), P Jones 15M, Lee Grant (Free), TFM 10M, Seven players sold or released for 45M and £550k per week wages freed up

Capitalise on the Market Value of certain Mercenaries
Pogba 140M, D De Gea 60M, A Sanchez 20M - Three of the biggest Egos that have had a wage war consequently turning the club into a laughing stock, I say David with a heavy heart but he's not signed a new Contract and has 12 months left so let's cash in. £220M recouped and £1,000,000 per week freed up on the wages.

Buy a new spine for the first team
We need 1 GK, 3 defenders, 2 Midfield players and 2 Attackers. We have approx £200M plus £250M from player sales. We need the following players;
GK - Tom Heaton - 20M, -100k per week (A United Fan and the best English Keeper by a mile) Plus a natural Leader who gets this club.
CB - Koulibally - 90M - 200k per week ( Another Leader)
CB/Left Back - N Ake 40M - 120k per week (A Leader)
RB - A Wan Bissaka 40M - 80k per week (21 Best Young defensive fullback in PL)

CDM - Declan Rice 50M - 100k per week( Gets better every week and a future captain!)
AMF - C Erikssen or B Fernandes 60M - 240k per week ( No Brainer either as Pogba's Replacement!)

RWS - J Sancho 100M - 200k per week ( Most exciting young player in World Football!)
CFW - C Wilson 50M - 150k per week ( Will score more goals than Rashford and Martial put together!)

Promote from Within;

We will undoubtedly promote T Chong, M Greenwood, A Tuanzebe, D Henderson and A Gomes.

The new squad would be primarliy a British spine with an investment of £200M net and a huge reduction in the club's wage bill so players would have then have to earn the right to be on big fat pay deals. This reduced wage bill could also be used to ammortise the £200M net investment required. Finally, there would also be major competition for places and players like Lukaku, Rashford, Lingard and Martial would be under severe pressure every week from a new breed of United player. Wilson, Sancho, Greenwood and Ericssen. We would finally have width at both full back positions and in the striker positions with Sancho and Chong, allowing the club to play multiple formations. Players like Lukaku, would play more than enough games, and could be moved on In the following summer if he doesn't improve.

Premier League 11;
T Heaton, W Bissaka, V Linderlof, K Koulibaly, L Shaw, D Rice, C Erikssen, J Lingard, J Sancho, C Wilson, M Rashford

Europa League 11;
S Romero/D Henderson, D Dalot, C Smalling, E Bailey, N Ake, Fred, S McTominay, N Matic, M Greenwood, R Lukaku, A Martial

Rest of Squad; A Tuanzebe, A Gomes, A Pereirra, T Chong, J Gardner

Last edited:

Bwuk

We should aim to win it.

We’ll get through the group with the reserves no issues.

cbmufc

In what scenario would we have to start qualifiers in July :D? 6th place?

Would be funny that tbf

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How has a club of our stature fallen to this? (rhetorical). 3 out of 6 years playing Europa League football. Imagine Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Juve pissing about in this.
They're not competing with 5 other clubs for a top 4 spot.

Snafu17

I know I shouldn't knock it, because it is pretty much our level at this point, but this is just the most boring competition in existence. The players never seem up for it, the stadium is usually half empty, there's 2 additional games in the most busy part of the season, if you qualify for the knockout stages and the only reason you'd ever be excited for it is if you're struggling for a top 4 finish. It's just awful. I'd rather be 8th than 6th.

Brophs

The One and Only
It's pretty fecking annoying, is what it is. Don't they know I play football on a Thursday?