Dalot Smalling Jones Shaw/Tierney
McTominay Fred
Gomes
Rashford Greenwood Martial/Chong

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I understand people want to get back into the CL, but I'm not sure winning the Europa League is necessarily easier than finishing top 4 next season. I'm pretty sure though that playing Thursdays with the same players also the following weekend will disrupt our season significantly.

Maybe if and when we'd reach the knockout stages we can field a more experienced team, but I'd rather give everything we've got in the league.

For me the only silver lining with being there is fielding the youngsters and see what they're made of.

Denis79

Depressing.. We've really had our chances to make top 4 and bottled them.

OleGunnar20

Don't agree with those saying it's a pointless competition. Fair enough it's no CL, but it feels spoilt to me to write off a European competition as being beneath us. I mean look where we are, it obviously isn't.

I'd like to see the most promising of our youth players blooded throughout the season in all comps. Greenwood, Laird, Tuanzebe et al are ready to play PL minutes let alone the cups. But having said that I'd like to see them feature heavily in the EL while also aiming for a win.

Maybe it's just me but I love every piece of silverware we get our hands on, and quite enjoy playing some of the more unusual teams which crop up in the EL.

Reactions: Penna

DanWWFC

Supports
Wolves
Probably the best place to ask about this, but does anyone know when the draws are made for the Europa league? We’re likely to finish 7th and if city win the cup then we get European football. All of us wolves fans are clueless about it tbh.

I was booking a holiday earlier July but May just leave it for an away day in Europe somewhere would love to know when the draw is for the qualifying rounds

kundalini

There are quite a few youngsters who might benefit from starting games in the Europa League. Could be a decent alternative to sending them out on loan.

My list would be: Laird, O'Connor, Tuanzebe, Andreas Pereira, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood

Anyone who performs well could then be given opportunities in the PL.

I would save the likes of McTominay, Rashford, Lindelof, Shaw for Premier League matches.

Last edited:

Kapardin

It's amusing that some of you think the Europa league is beneath us.

It's like you haven't watched us play over the last few years.
Judging by our current playing style, we are beneath the Europa League at the moment.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'd like to see plenty of kids in the group stages, and then in knock out games if they've proven themselves, but I'd hope we'd take the EL seriously once we're through. A chance of a trophy, a good chance at CL football (better than finishing top four in the PL these days!) and plenty of games to try out kids/fringe players are good positives in my view. As hard as it is to admit we have to acknowledge we are second rate at the moment.

Raw

Probably the best place to ask about this, but does anyone know when the draws are made for the Europa league? We’re likely to finish 7th and if city win the cup then we get European football. All of us wolves fans are clueless about it tbh.

I was booking a holiday earlier July but May just leave it for an away day in Europe somewhere would love to know when the draw is for the qualifying rounds
Draw dates aren't announced yet but judging from this season's Europa League:

1st/2nd qualifying round: 19-20 June, games played on 12-19 June/26 July - 2 August
3rd qualifying round: 23 July, games played on 9-16 August
Playoff round: 6 August, games played on 23-30 August
Groups: 31 August

If City win the cup and you finish 7th, you'll be in the 2nd qualifying round.

For United: Finishing 5th would put us into the group stage. Finishing 6th would put us into the 2nd qualifying round, however if City win the FA Cup then we'll go into the groups and 7th will go to the qualifiers. If Watford win the cup, we'll be in the qualifying round.

Edit: Actually I just found all the dates for next season here: https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2589463.html

Last edited:

In Rainbows

Give Gomes, Greenwood, Garner, Tuanzebe, and O'Connor playing time.

If not then, when? Seems like every excuse is thrown around to justify not blooding them in. They're our most talented group in a while. It's not their fault they have to play under Sbragia and have to carry a few shite players.

red4ever 79

I dont have a problem with being in the Europa league. We are no where near good enough to compete in the Champions league. At least the Europa league will offer something different and a more level playing field for us.

Raw

I just hope we get teams that aren't a light-year away from Manchester. Hopefully we'll have some European teams that have a bit of pedigree about them, just to add a little bit of excitement to this competition.

Oldyella

Make any of the useless lot who are left from this year play the qualifiers. Why should the kids be sent all over Europe when they should be on holiday because the 1st team failed.

Godfather

Has an English team ever actually put in a proper league title challenge while playing on Thursdays in the EL/Uefa Cup?
The EL is probably the last of 100 other reasons why we won’t compete for the title next season. That actually might be a fun new thread.

ctp

Here you go.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2589463.html

The 6th/7th placed team starts in the second round of qualifiers.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I don't think people realized the importance that Europa League has now: the winner gets direct qualification to the Champions League.
We can't ditch this competition, we must take it seriously.

Raw

I don't think people realized the importance that Europa League has now: the winner gets direct qualification to the Champions League.
We can't ditch this competition, we must take it seriously.
But surely it's more beneficial to us if we built a team that can finish in the top 4, instead of cheesing through shite teams to get in while in 6th place?

I get how important it is but if we're having to rely on EL to get CL football again then I'll be disappointed. With the level of competition I understand the importance but with Chelsea possibly losing Hazard + having a transfer ban and Arsenal not spending the big bucks to reinforce their squad, we should really be finishing above them as long as we spend smartly this summer.

kps88

Has an English team ever actually put in a proper league title challenge while playing on Thursdays in the EL/Uefa Cup?
No. But you could also argue the reason for that is a team who finished 6/7th is anyway unlikely to be good enough to put in a title challenge.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
But surely it's more beneficial to us if we built a team that can finish in the top 4, instead of cheesing through shite teams to get in while in 6th place?

I get how important it is but if we're having to rely on EL to get CL football again then I'll be disappointed. With the level of competition I understand the importance but with Chelsea possibly losing Hazard + having a transfer ban and Arsenal not spending the big bucks to reinforce their squad, we should really be finishing above them as long as we spend smartly this summer.
We can easily qualify for the playoff doing some rotation in our squad, but we must keep a strong starting 11 for the top games at least.
Young players development is not as simple as putting them into the pitch and let them accumulate minutes. If they can't show it on training, I'm pretty sure they won't become better during the match.

Raw

We can easily qualify for the playoff doing some rotation in our squad, but we must keep a strong starting 11 for the top games at least.
Young players development is not as simple as putting them into the pitch and let them accumulate minutes. If they can't show it on training, I'm pretty sure they won't become better during the match.
Oh I agree, against the top teams I want us to do our best. But if it comes down to having to throw PL games to prepare for the EL like we did in 16/17 then I'd be very disappointed.

promisedlanchiao

Look, us (and arsenal, before people ask) won’t even be the best teams in the competition next year once the Champions League teams drop down unless we make drastic changes to the team, which I doubt our useless board would do.

To see fans take the piss out of a “shit” competition that we’ll struggle to win just pisses me off. Bring it on, lets see whether the players are better than this standard or not.

ctp

If City win the FA Cup, the 6th places team will start in the group stage and 7th placed team starts in the second qualifying round.
I know, which is why I wrote 'team', not 'teams'. It's 6th place if Watford win the cup, and 7th if City do.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
The EL is probably the last of 100 other reasons why we won’t compete for the title next season. That actually might be a fun new thread.
No. But you could also argue the reason for that is a team who finished 6/7th is anyway unlikely to be good enough to put in a title challenge.
I don’t think a proper league title challenge would be a realistic expectation for us next season.
I agree it's not exactly realistic.

But Liverpool finished 7th, 28(!) points behind us in SAF's last season. A year later dear Brendan almost had them winning the league. Chelsea finished 10th in Mourinho's last year there, the following season Conte wins the league. Looks like not being in Europe at all gave those teams the chance to really go all out and focus fully on the PL.

Leicester obviously put in an even more amazing run, going from 14th to 1st within the year, and these are all just recent examples. Three or four good transfers in the summer and replicating our form when Ole started the job for the first 10 matches of next season, and anything could technically be possible.

Except now we're in the Europa League as well and you pretty much know for sure on forehand something like that is 100% not going to happen because it never has happened before.

Slysi17

I think this thread is a bit premature. I actually think we will get top four just because Arsenal and Chelsea are just as bad. I will bet my life on Chelsea not winning any of their remaining games as I think they are simply not that great and Watford and Leciester City can hurt them. Plus I see Arsenal getting a draw at Burnley. BELIEVE!!!!!

dove

I think this thread is a bit premature. I actually think we will get top four just because Arsenal and Chelsea are just as bad. I will bet my life on Chelsea not winning any of their remaining games as I think they are simply not that great and Watford and Leciester City can hurt them. Plus I see Arsenal getting a draw at Burnley. BELIEVE!!!!!
Brave.

rotherham_red

I posted this in the Chelsea post-match thread but it's probably better here:

I'm taking EL on the chin next season. I'm sure Ole will view it as a chance to blood the kids (Axel, maybe TFM, Greenwood, Garner, Gomes, Chong, Laid, O'Connor) and we can finally use the summer window and do a proper clear out of the deadwood and the ones who don't want to be here. It'll likely mean Pogba and DDG go, which will be shit but if we can use the likely £250m+ those sales will generate as well as the c.£200m budget we are rumoured to have, we could do a proper rebuild and bring in a good quality of player which will a) ensure that we get top 4, and depending on the draw, maybe even win the EL.

Denis79

Sorry but it's to late unfortunately. So Chelsea is going to lose points in both games, Arsenal in one and us winning both games? Nah.

Slysi17

Sorry but it's to late unfortunately. So Chelsea is going to lose points in both games, Arsenal in one and us winning both games? Nah.
Yep I am sticking to my prediction. We are playing sides that are relegated and Arsenal and Chelsea are not that great. Chelsea were average against us today. Watford and Leceister City are decent teams. Just think Chelsea are not good enough to win either games but we shall see.

Denis79

Yep exactly. We are playing sides that are relegated and Arsenal and Chelsea are not that great. Chelsea were average against us today. Watford and Leceister City are decent teams. Just think Chelsea are not good enough to win either games but we shall see.
We had our chances long before the Chelsea game and bottled them. I honestly don't see us winning both our games. Our players are going to come out completely un-interested.

RedNed77

It’s just a very meh competition. I did enjoy it when we won it, but more like the enjoyment you get from winning the Carabao Cup, rather than the elation that lasts for days/weeks when you win the CL/PL. I wouldn’t mind an early exit next season, those Thursday/Sunday rotations are irritating for a reason I can’t put my finger on.