Europa League / Conference League 23/24

always_hoping

Klopp has always been a bit dumb overpaying players. Why is Salah playing in all these Europa matches. Pointless, he could burn out, it's happened before.
that win tonight It means he can rest the first team for the St Gilloise game on the 14th ahead of the game against United on the 17th.

And They have avoided the play off round by topping the group

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Is Pawson always this bad of a referee? He's absolutely horrible at the Ajax - AEK match

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
West Ham, Brighton, Liverpool and Rangers all topping their groups in the EL. Villa too in the ECL.

Nickosaur

What an achievement for Brighton. Topping that group on their debut season in Europe.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Do England get the Scottish win coefficients because of the Brit connection?

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia

+10 GD and eliminated. Good going.
That's because of their freak 7-0 trashing against Ludogorets at home.
I guess that didn't matter one bit in the end. :D

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's because of their freak 7-0 trashing against Ludogorets at home.
I guess that didn't matter one bit in the end. :D
7-1 to Ludogorets, 6-1 to Fener, somehow couldn't beat Spartak Trnava

always_hoping

What the expanded Champions league coming in will there also be changes to Europa and conference leagues?

Clubs themselves would probably prefer straight knock out competitions but Uefa are made set on their group formats.

RedRocket9908

So now Villa are out of all the other competitions they surely have to be the favorites to win the UEFA Europa Conference League this season.

BabySinclair

So now Villa are out of all the other competitions they surely have to be the favorites to win the UEFA Europa Conference League this season.
Yes but surely not miles ahead of Ajax, Fiorentina, Frankfurt, Real Betis Balompie, Lille, Fenerbahce or St. Gilloise.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yes but surely not miles ahead of Ajax, Fiorentina, Frankfurt, Real Betis Balompie, Lille, Fenerbahce or St. Gilloise.
I'm not even sure I would put them ahead most of those. Villa simply doesn't have asmuch experience in going deep into European cups and pulling off crucial wins there like at least the first teams you listed.

BabySinclair

I'm not even sure I would put them ahead most of those. Villa simply doesn't have asmuch experience in going deep into European cups and pulling off crucial wins there like at least the first teams you listed.
But they have Emery and he knows this non-CL-european-competitions.

Also i would say only Lille, Fenerbahce and St. Gilloise are playing good in their leagues.

Like said Aston Villa aren't miles ahead of those clubs but if i must make a decision on the ECL winner (like on Kicktipp.....i'm sure you know that ;)) then i would put my money on Aston Villa.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
But they have Emery and he knows this non-CL-european-competitions.

Also i would say only Lille, Fenerbahce and St. Gilloise are playing good in their leagues.

Like said Aston Villa aren't miles ahead of those clubs but if i must make a decision on the ECL winner (like on Kicktipp.....i'm sure you know that ;)) then i would put my money on Aston Villa.
On the other hand Frankfurt won the EL while finishing 8th in the league and generally being disappointing domestically, and that isn't their only strong cup season while being shit in the league. Depending on how quickly they integrate their winter signings I would put them ahead, simply for their experience in pulling off great cup runs. But either way I think it's quite open, I just wouldn't put money on this at all :lol:

PelleMyk

Havent followed Norwegian football that closely as Start is my local team, which may be one of the few clubs that have been mismanaged even worse than united over the last decade, but Glimt are really playing well here! Maybe its time to pay closer attention again.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
Surprised at Glimt's level so far given the 2 month hiatus from competitive football.
Glimts level has been surprising to many the last few years tbh, regardless of being in or out of season.

BarstoolProphet

Surprised at Glimt's level so far given the 2 month hiatus from competitive football.
They are wonderfully ran and Knutsen got the potential to be a top class manager. No wonder he was linked with Ajax last summer, just a shame that he doesn't have a big enough name.

BuddaBuddy

Supports
Spurs
Glimts level has been surprising to many the last few years tbh, regardless of being in or out of season.
Being Norwegian and all I'm not that surprised anymore thay they play good football, but I reckon this round is worse than the next for Glimt (if they get there) because of the out-of-season stuff.

Also noteworthy that they've lost their 2 most notorious goal scorers, by far, since last season.
They are wonderfully ran and Knutsen got the potential to be a top class manager. No wonder he was linked with Ajax last summer, just a shame that he doesn't have a big enough name.
He better leave soon if he wants to fullfill that potential given his age.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Loftus-Cheek absolutely killed this tournament in 2018/2019. He was probably our best player after Hazard that season, devastatingly struck down by injury before the final due to a crazy boneheaded decision to play a friendly in America a week before the final.

So happy to see him flourishing again.

lysglimt

Scout
I have never seen a worse Ajax-side - I am not even surprised that B/G will beat them