Europa League final: Liverpool vs Sevilla

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Could have and should have been us! :mad: Imagine bagging the Europa League and FA Cup, getting CL football next season and van Gaal getting the boot...all in the space of a week! That would have been sooooo awesome!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
This should be played on a saturday like the C.L final.
And please let Sevilla make it 3 in a row.

Ole90+3

Could have and should have been us! :mad: Imagine bagging the Europa League and FA Cup, getting CL football next season and van Gaal getting the boot...all in the space of a week! That would have been sooooo awesome!
Should have? Not sure about that. Both teams in the Liverpool tie were pretty woeful, we were just worse.

Plus, we would have got bent over and shown the 50 states by Dortmund anyway.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Liverpool are a team with some fight and have a manager with some too. I have no doubt that they'll raise their game so hopefully Sevilla do too.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Funny how quickly things can turn around for everyone.

If Liverpool win this, they could be the nr. 1 destination for players who want to come to EPL.

The turmoil from this season shows that there are no favorites for the next one. Even summer signings don't mean much at this point (everyone thought City will win the league when they signed De Bruyne in the summer, and all they won was the goals scored stat).
Mourinho's stock is low.
Guardiolas's stock has also taken a toll after the spanking in CL last 3 seasons.
Conte is irrelevant and there's no CL for Chelsea.
Spurs are irrelevant for this discussion.
Klopp is the man and with added CL, players will want to play for him.
The Premier League seems so open in recent years that a team that works hard and has plenty of pace can do wonders - not just Leicester, but also Liverpool's challenge a couple of seasons ago have shown that.

Whilst I wouldn't write-off Chelsea so easily as they will be playing far fewer games than the rest, will spend big money and their players you'd presume won't spend half their season trying to get their manager sacked like this season so they should really be able to challenge for the title, but it is Liverpool I fear in the title race - Klopp with his own team, on the back of a trophy win, with Champions League football and a full season, is just terrifying.

Hopefully them being in Champions League will mean they will get rundown by having to play to their usual maximum pace twice a week, unless they - somehow ;) - find a way to beat the physical limitations of humanity then they will eventually get exhausted.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
If the Bindippers win this I am deleting myself from all forms of social media for at least a month. Apart from the Caf though...its one of the few places I could find solace should that happen.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If the Bindippers win this I am deleting myself from all forms of social media for at least a month. Apart from the Caf though...its one of the few places I could find solace should that happen.
Noted. :)

Raw

Just noticed that both Liverpool and Sevilla have each won 1 away game in the EL all season (1-0 v Rubin Kazan in the groups for Liverpool, 2-1 v Athletic Bilbao in the QF for Sevilla)

Sevilla are the 'away' team in the final, so congrats Liverpool :(

prarek

Just noticed that both Liverpool and Sevilla have each won 1 away game in the EL all season (1-0 v Rubin Kazan in the groups for Liverpool, 2-1 v Athletic Bilbao in the QF for Sevilla)

Sevilla are the 'away' team in the final, so congrats Liverpool :(
Liverpool also have a better away record in the league. Sevilla are the only team in La Liga not to win a single game away from home. They would be relegated on the away table.

gaucho_10

Hopefully them being in Champions League will mean they will get rundown by having to play to their usual maximum pace twice a week, unless they - somehow ;) - find a way to beat the physical limitations of humanity then they will eventually get exhausted.
I think Dr. Ramon Segura offers his services to Pep Guaridola exclusively!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Liverpool also have a better away record in the league. Sevilla are the only team in La Liga not to win a single game away from home. They would be relegated on the away table.
...which means that Sevilla are nailed on for the victory. Such is the nature of football these days.

Needham

Real damn shame the winners get a CL spot. It's just the thought of those flags and them sucking the ball into the kop end goal while swaying in waves of injustice. In British football, they have a complete monopoly on we're special. Good luck Sevilla.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Apparently Konoplyanka is not fit enough to play tonight, that is a boost for Liverpool.
Just need to get the same on Mignolet from the LFC physio and we're good to go.

Not quite confident about tonight. Anything can happen in a cup final, and I'm really looking forward to it, but yeah... Game will be a rough watch.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Not quite confident about tonight. Anything can happen in a cup final, and I'm really looking forward to it, but yeah... Game will be a rough watch.
Same here, it's been far too long since we've been in a meaningful final so I'm already nervous as feck. A trophy is always a nice way to end the season but qualification for the CL next year woule be huge.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool

:lol: I am not all that worried on Mingolet tonight, he's already messed up once in a cup final this season so hopefully that is out of his system, though with him you never know. This is the first time i have been confident Liverpool will win a final since the Cardiff final and even that we had to take it to penalties. I just can not imagine a team winning it 3 years on the trot, someone has to stop them and it will be us.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Apparently Konoplyanka is not fit enough to play tonight, that is a boost for Liverpool.
Especially seeing as we were on the verge of buying him a few years ago. Football has a habit of these little coincidences coming back to bite you on the arse.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Come on Sevilla! Just hoof it in their box and Mignolet will take care of the rest for you.

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Eurgh. No idea if I'm excited or nervous. Nervously excited?

Not even going to bother predicting it, as close to 50/50 as you'll get in a final.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Eurgh. No idea if I'm excited or nervous. Nervously excited?

Not even going to bother predicting it, as close to 50/50 as you'll get in a final.
I went with 3-0 in the predictions between friends of mine :D Only thing that gives me confidence is that I was more nervous before the Villareal and we completely played them off the park while they're supposedly much better than Sevilla this year. That was at Anfield though, anything can happen in a final of course. Still, we have to win this. The playerd will be well up for it, as will our travelling fans. Should be a cracking game.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Oddly, I'm not as nervous as I normally would be. It almost feels like we peaked against Dortmund.

Treble

This game is unpredictable for me. Liverpool energy levels and enthusiasm may be too much for Sevilla and the latter's technical ability may be too much for Liverpool. It's wrong to draw conclusions from the fact that Villareal had a better season domestically. They were better than Sevilla for most of the season but when they played Liverpool they weren't very convincing in their league games either. They didn't finish the season in good form at all.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I predict Wertherian-esque drama from him as he hates Klopp.

Or will it be Liverpool winning it despite Klopp?
I don't think he is the one to be worried about contradicting himself. He will focus on one thing and ignore being wrong on the other part.

TheReligion

Abusive
If the FA Cup is a major honour, so is the Europa League.
The oldest association cup competition in the world (The FA Cup)

As an actual trophy I'd have the FA Cup over the Europa League any day. The only thing of interest about it is the CL qualification. As an honour it's trash.

TheReligion

Abusive
The trophy is major honours for all mid table clubs. We've been that for many years. So have you.
We won the title three years ago.. not 25 plus like you lot. Let's not exaggerate now. We are playing our worst football in years yet still finishing higher in the league then you and beating you home and away. .

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Belly churning , guzzling beer , chain smoking , developing OCD's.

There's are all signs of PMT.

Pre Match Tension.

We all get it before a big game. If you need help go to

www.pmttwitchyarse.com

Aaargghhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Confusing your There's and These is is sign that PMT has developed to a critical stage.

Sarni

Next year I might give the competition another go, there's some big teams taking it seriously next year I think.
There were big teams in the competition this year, actually it's arguably the strongest year in a while for EL with Monaco, Tottenham, Lazio, Dortmund, Villarreal, Sevilla etc. all there.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The oldest association cup competition in the world (The FA Cup)

As an actual trophy I'd have the FA Cup over the Europa League any day. The only thing of interest about it is the CL qualification. As an honour it's trash.
It's a difficult one for me. I guess most UK based people will probably prefer the FA Cup but winning the Europa League, and especially the UEFA Cup back in the days, gets a lot more recognition across Europe. We knocked out better teams to get to the final as well (not saying you had an easy road but West Ham are not Dortmund level). Personally, I'd still rather win the EL but the FA Cup comes close. League Cup is miles behind though, completely irrelevant compared to those two imo.

And like you said, the additional CL qualification makes it a huge deal. It'd be gutted if we lost just the final but to lose the final and CL qualification would be devastating, also regarding possible transfer targets in the summer. Big, big game for us.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Typing is is twice means there's only one option.

Roll another smoke and get another beer.

Sarni

It's a difficult one for me. I guess most UK based people will probably prefer the FA Cup but winning the Europa League, and especially the UEFA Cup back in the days, gets a lot more recognition across Europe. We knocked out better teams to get to the final as well (not saying you had an easy road but West Ham are not Dortmund level). Personally, I'd still rather win the EL but the FA Cup comes close. League Cup is miles behind though, completely irrelevant compared to those two imo.

And like you said, the additional CL qualification makes it a huge deal. It'd be gutted if we lost just the final but to lose the final and CL qualification would be devastating, also regarding possible transfer targets in the summer. Big, big game for us.
Europa League is a bigger trophy than FA Cup. Domestic cups tend to be important for domestic fans but worldwide they do not get the same recognition. Winning EL is likely to be remembered for a very long time, it's an European troph my even if its value has diminished since they started allowing 5th to 7th placed teams.