European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Eventually many will.
When some fans start watching and talking and all news channels and papers who are well paid by them constantly throw scores, highlights and news, when apps on the phones start pushing notifications/ads about the event, people will eventually want to check it out and adjust to the new reality.

"So did you watch Champions league last night? West Ham vs Sevilla, good game! Antonio is the best player in the world!"

"Nope, last night I watched United vs Real Madrid, Mbappe scored a hattrick for us. You should try watch it."

Man City fans are so livid about this they’ve started protesting by not turning up to games 10 years ago. Well ahead of the curve, those lot.

Joint statement from Spirit of Shankly and other supporter groups representing the Big Six

Twitter :lol: Seriously, how spurs get in?1 day in and I am still baffled.

Watching United in 10th play Inter in 12th with neither team able to be relegated or win anything doesn't sound terribly exciting to me. And you will VERY quickly see matches like that, games against Spurs, Arsenal, Athletico etc. lose their glamour and be the kind of games fans skip.

like there's never any dead rubbers in the current format? how about United needing to win their last few group games to make it to the knock out stages? that will just be dull, eh?

I am loving the drama of all this I have to say. Football was ruined the second they let countries and sugar daddies buy football clubs. I want this to blow up further.

Correct, this has been inevitable for 20 years. No idea why some are so shocked by it.

This whole shit show could have been avoided if the FA/PL had not allowed nefarious characters to buy English clubs.

"So did you watch Champions league last night? West Ham vs Sevilla, good game! Antonio is the best player in the world!"

"Nope, last night I watched United vs Real Madrid, Mbappe scored a hattrick for us. You should try watch it."

Yeah but having to get up and watch it at 4am as it is coming from Tokyo is a right fecker.

Do you think it would make any difference to Liverpool if 50,000 fans boycotted all games? No of course not. There would be 50,000 to fill their space in a second...
I replied to a poster saying the over reaction is from the caf

Aren’t we currently in a league where there is obscene amounts of money with no threat of relegation?
Relegation is unlikely, but there is a threat that we don't qualify for Champions League each season because the likes of Leicester are run much better, hence the reason why we still spend big each summer.

Under the new arrangements, there would be zero incentive for the Glazers to invest as they would be guaranteed SL payments each year. How can this be good for football?

It's greatly in the PL's interest to keep the 6 big teams.

Not when they all have 5x the revenue of every other team, it will turn it into a complete procession every year. I know you could make an argument that it already is, but at least with the equitable sharing of TV money there is some semblance of competition.
If the remaining 14 clubs move for expulsion then its a possibility for sure.

The players will be up in arms if they’re banned from the Euros.

Can’t see Pep et al taking it lying down if City get denied their first crack at a CL title. Tuchel will be mighty pissed off too.

They won't be, though. How do you think Mastercard, Nissan and the rest of the sponsors are going to react to the competition being written off just before the main event?

Things change. 20 years ago Newcastle would be in this thing. Just because West Ham v Sevilla sounds stupid to you now it doesn't mean it always will be.

It won't happen. If it does though, go and watch Salford City or FCUM or Stockport County or Curzon Ashton. Whatevs. Going to smaller clubs is jolly nice. You can stand on a terrace behind the goal.

People will say they will never watch it, but I'm sure with all that star power, fans and most importantly marketing budget, ESL will be something big.
But not to the hundreds of thousands of local fans who have spent time and money visiting Old Trafford through thick and thin. The fact they have openly acknowledged these supporters as 'legacy fans' says it all. Don't these people mean anything to the club? This goes against everything that Manchester United represents.

Ander Herrera:
"I fell in love with popular football, with the
football of the fans, with the dream of seeing
the team of my heart compete against the
greatest. If this European super league
advances, those dreams are over, the illusions
of the fans of the teams that are not giants of
being able to win on the field competing in the
best competitions will end. I love football and
I cannot remain silent about this, I believe in
an improved champions league, but not in the
rich stealing what the people created, which is
nothing other than the most beautiful sport on
the planet"

They won't be, though. How do you think Mastercard, Nissan and the rest of the sponsors are going to react to the competition being written off just before the main event?
Exactly. The sponsors, image rights , broad casting companies . Banning the players? Really ?

Not when they all have 5x the revenue of every other team, it will turn it into a complete procession every year. I know you could make an argument that it already is, but at least with the equitable sharing of TV money there is some semblance of competition.
What do you think the drop will be on the TV contracts etc. when the top 6 teams leave. The PL will essentially become worthless.

What is your point? We should get behind it?

There was a big fuss about the Qatar and Russia World Cups, it was the straw that broke the camels back when it came to public acknowledgment of corruption in football. There is a lot of concern about the growing financial disparity in football, about the Chelseas, the PSGs, the City's, the Barcas, the Real Madrids. People quite clearly detest the commercial and soulless nature of the likes of us and Liverpool, the ridiculous sums of money in football and the wages which come with that.

Football is broken and has been for years. It's just desserts for FIFA, UEFA, the PL and the other domestic leagues, I don't think anybody is arguing that. Nobody is shedding tears for them, we all know what they are. However, it's the fans that lose out here. It's a bunch of billionaires with zero interest in football effectively taking the game away from the fans and calling the shots as they see fit, and if you think the actual football, the sport, the competition, is top of the the agenda for the likes of the Glazers then you're in for a very big shock.

Well said.

We played Burnley at home in our last game. We won yet the match hung in the balance until the 84th minute when Greenwood scored to make it 2-1. Here's an example of a smaller club fighting for survival against a top PL club also in need of points to stay in contention for the title. Two teams both highly motivated with different backgrounds going head to head.
The feeling I had when that final whistle went knowing the importance of those 3pts and the prestige of winning the game, I want to be able to experience on many more occasions. If this Super league becomes a fact then that will be taken away.
Don't forget the mighty Man City with all their oil money lost against 10-man Leeds the other day.
Can't see anything wrong with carrying on as we are having a PL which is the most competitive and exciting league in the world. No matter how much financial clout a club may have a win is never guaranteed.
This Super league is one step too far and I fully agree with Neville, Ferdinand and many others showing their disgust.
It will rip the heart out of the game and that cannot be allowed to happen.

like there's never any dead rubbers in the current format? how about United needing to win their last few group games to make it to the knock out stages? that will just be dull, eh?
Why do you support a competition with no relegation? For a team like Spurs?

This sort of attitude fecking stinks. If you're obsessed with glossy names and soulless headlines go and follow American sports.

You and me won't. However I know pretty well ton of casual fans worldwide won't give a shit and will just want to enjoy some football regardless of all the problems surrounding this system. Don't depend on fans, believe me, you'll be disappointed.
This.

I believe there are enough curious people, the new to the sport, and the mass plastic fanbase who don't understand the clubs... to sustain this ESL on first impression. Their gamble is whether they stick around when it's past the first impression phase. Just by experience, they (the financial sponsor) would readily operating the first impression phase without profit (even taking loss), to gather attention and interest; so they can get as many as possible to view their product. People easily fall for freebies.

It won't happen. If it does though, go and watch Salford City or FCUM or Stockport County or Curzon Ashton. Whatevs. Going to smaller clubs is jolly nice. You can stand on a terrace behind the goal.
My step son is a groundsman at Bolton, will go and watch them or Altringham, the closes club to me.
feck it may even watch Wythenshawe Town.

It's an overreaction from a very minute group of people, be it Liverpool, United, or other football fans.
Where’ve you got the figures for this minute group of people? From what I’ve seen true passionate fans ‘legacy’ are against it but foreign tv viewing fans with passing interest are for it. I’d like to see what you’ve seen different

Its all bluster and posturing right now by UEFA and FIFA. Outrage will die down very quickly as is the way in the modern world.

Fans will tear up season tickets and be replaced quickly.

I don't like it, in fact I hate it, but I hated the expansion of the European Cup. Call it the Champions League and invite the 4th place finishers? Load of balls. I will get used to the Super League eventually and then it will be replaced by something equally outrageous.

Football, as anything other than an entertainment business, died the day they decided to put a fecking World Cup in Qatar, games to be played in the stadiums were workers literally died.

Premier League could vote through a motion as 14 votes are needed. If the PL clubs combine and vote together they can put in place provisions to expel the 6 clubs, especially if The FA vote as well.

Kieran Maguire on money concentration

@meamth If that doesn't change your mind then I give up. We need integrity and fair competitiveness in football.

yep. imagine the euros without the majority of the best players in the world, never going to happen in a million years

these threats at banning players are nonsense. would be self sabotage by UEFA

Watching United in 10th play Inter in 12th with neither team able to be relegated or win anything doesn't sound terribly exciting to me. And you will VERY quickly see matches like that, games against Spurs, Arsenal, Athletico etc. lose their glamour and be the kind of games fans skip.

That's the thing.

Assuming we're able to compete in the Premier League alongside this, as soon as you can't win the damn thing, what's the point in playing your hardest if nothing that bad can really happen? Also, I'm going to care much more about beating Liverpool in the Premier League than I am about beating them in this tinpot nonsense.

It is literally a glorified Emirates Cup.

Premier League could vote through a motion as 14 votes are needed. If the PL clubs combine and vote together they can put in place provisions to expel the 6 clubs, especially if The FA vote as well.
Keeping them in would cause less financial damage to the other 14 teams.

and you are just the sort of fan the ESL is aimed at, the ones that will pay to watch top clubs and feck the rest.
Shocking attitude to have !