European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Likely Glazers. We need to turf them out
I think he is talking about City. Look at the coverage, City are getting little bad press. Infact "Shiekh saved English football" articles are getting written.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Perez is actually an idiot. He keeps complaining about the UCL format not working and that they all keep losing money. Since when did UEFA decide how much they spend on players and transfer fees and whatever else?

It's basically as if you buy a house outside your price range, get in financial trouble, and then blame your boss for not getting paid enough and being at fault for you choosing to spend too much in the first place. Guy is a fecking idiot.

bosnian_red

Holy shit the guy actually said that the top teams in La Liga lose money and the rest win money. Maybe you wouldn't always qualify for the CL or dominate if you spent what you can actually afford to spend :lol: What the feck

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto

I wonder if Neville and Linekar will give this the same energy.
This is absolutely insane. They guaranteed that two of the biggest clubs always get a free pass. Clubs who are decently well in the coefficient no longer need to fear being left out of the CL at the end of their domestic seasons... unless there's a shitload of them in the same situation, which never happens.

So clubs at the top level just need to qualify for Europa League, unless something extraordinary happens.

This, along with the other changes, makes the conspirationist in you wonder if this was all a concerted effort to make these changes more palatable. If there are no punishments it makes it even more likely.

I wanted the SL to happen because I progressively st all interest in football. I haven't seen a full game in 4 years. I wasn't expecting it to revive it, i was more like a "well, it's screwed for me, let's at least watch it burn"...

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
21st April Update: Do not abuse those for sharing different opinions to yourself. The poll not being anonymous does not give anyone an excuse to shame and belittle those who wanted it to happen.
I really want to know which one of you wrote that. It's amazing.

peridigm

Lot of discussions on punishment for the 6. Has a transfer ban been mentioned? :nervous:

stevoc

Let's see what these sanctions will be. Given that there wasn't anything that materialised at the end of the day, I'm not expecting much more than some fines.
Yeah like that time they came down hard on PSG and City :rolleyes:

Also sanctions for what exactly? What rules were broken by announcing and then scrapping a competition 48 hours later?

For all Perez's cocaine fueled nonsense the other night he wasn't wrong about UEFA being a corrupt monopoly that prioritizes it's own interests.

Rojow

FP has a point, UEFA needs to get their shit together. What about FPP? What about this money they offered to english teams? From nothing, they have now 4 more billions. I mean, SL was not the right path, but many things need to change inside UEFA.

It's not a big deal if a bunch of people who are from 16 to 24 years old were in the protest outside the Chelsea game. It's a reality the young aren't seeing same football as they did before.

New UCL isn't better than the actual one.

stevoc

So which is true

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-city-play-in-european-super-league-v9582d6sm

British envoy warned UAE not to let Manchester City play in European Super League

Or these "journalist" stories

Shiekh the saviour

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...h-Mansour-just-unlikely-saviour-football.html

Roman the lover of English legacy

Edit : Also funny how you can warn UAE about Mancity while their fans maintain its private investment.
Yeah City are simply owned by a private individual, who just happens to be a multi billionaire, deputy prime minister and a prince of the royal family of the UAE. But City definitely aren't state funded. Wink, Wink,

stevoc

I think he is talking about City. Look at the coverage, City are getting little bad press. Infact "Shiekh saved English football" articles are getting written.
Most English football journalists are in City's back pocket, as you'd expect with a sport washing project on that scale.

hobbers

I wonder what the penalty fee is for leaving the SL.

It's doubtless less than whatever UEFA offered the English clubs to leave the SL anyway. Not something to worry about.

stevoc

I wonder what the penalty fee is for leaving the SL.

It's doubtless less than whatever UEFA offered the English clubs to leave the SL anyway. Not something to worry about.
I doubt it's enforceable or if it is that they'd even push for it. After all Perez will try floating this idea to the same clubs in one form or another in a few years.

Champagne Football

Nasser Al-Khelaifi, the PSG owner, has replaced Agnelli as chairman of the ECA in UEFA. I'm not sure that's healthy at all. Al-Khelaifi is coming out of all of this looking like a saint, and that's not going to be healthy moving forward. Too much power and influence for PSG to bend FFP rules, maybe influence in selecting which refs will take charge of PSG games etc

Last edited:

stevoc

Nasser Al-Khelaifi, the PSG owner, has been replaced Agnelli as chairman of the ECA in UEFA. I'm not sure that's healthy at all. Al-Khelaifi is coming out of all of this looking like a saint, and that's not going to be healthy moving forward. Too much power and influence for PSG to bend FFP rules, maybe influence in selecting which refs will take charge of PSG games etc
FFP is done, City and PSG didn't respect before and from what I hear UEFA are talking about 'relaxing' it. Which is probably a euphemism for abandoning it as they're seemingly powerless to actually enforce it anyway.

bosnian_red

No idea how representative it actually is. But I'm getting the impression that a large part of spanish football supporters didn't mind this? Maybe it's just random teens on forums but specifically supporters of Real Madrid and Juventus more than any, seem to have swallowed all of this up. Barcelona too, to an extent but not as bad. Real Madrid supporters (and Perez himself) seem to think they have this god given right to just have any player they want to have and should always win every trophy and be the richest club. So they complain when they don't have enough money to do these things. It's fecked up. Beyond fecked up. They're such a deluded bunch. I appreciate it's not all of them, and I hope it's not even the majority, but it's definitely a much larger group than what exists anywhere else in football. Not sure what the atmosphere was with Atletico/Milan/Inter supporters, but definitely the impression I got from Madrid/Juve for sure, and Barca to an extent.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
No idea how representative it actually is. But I'm getting the impression that a large part of spanish football supporters didn't mind this? Maybe it's just random teens on forums but specifically supporters of Real Madrid and Juventus more than any, seem to have swallowed all of this up. Barcelona too, to an extent but not as bad. Real Madrid supporters (and Perez himself) seem to think they have this god given right to just have any player they want to have and should always win every trophy and be the richest club. So they complain when they don't have enough money to do these things. It's fecked up. Beyond fecked up. They're such a deluded bunch. I appreciate it's not all of them, and I hope it's not even the majority, but it's definitely a much larger group than what exists anywhere else in football. Not sure what the atmosphere was with Atletico/Milan/Inter supporters, but definitely the impression I got from Madrid/Juve for sure, and Barca to an extent.
Juve are an odd one as they have by far the biggest outside supporter base of any Italian club, and a fair few of them have been vocally defensive on social media... for Milan’s part, their Ultras have come out with a very strong statement against it...

...Madrid are just Madrid

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
This is absolutely insane. They guaranteed that two of the biggest clubs always get a free pass. Clubs who are decently well in the coefficient no longer need to fear being left out of the CL at the end of their domestic seasons... unless there's a shitload of them in the same situation, which never happens.

So clubs at the top level just need to qualify for Europa League, unless something extraordinary happens.

This, along with the other changes, makes the conspirationist in you wonder if this was all a concerted effort to make these changes more palatable. If there are no punishments it makes it even more likely.

I wanted the SL to happen because I progressively st all interest in football. I haven't seen a full game in 4 years. I wasn't expecting it to revive it, i was more like a "well, it's screwed for me, let's at least watch it burn"...
Hold on. It’s actually not the worst idea because it forces teams to take Europa serious.

retired_muppet

You'd have Napoli, Bayern, Roma, Sevilla, Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Monaco, Porto, PSG, Benfica, Ajax in the mix.

I reckon you could make some palatable quarter finals out of that lot.

Ban the 12 for a year - it's only a year and they truly deserve it.
I think the best punishment should be resetting all their UEFA club coefficient for these 12 club to zero so they end up in lower pot for the next few years in any UEFA competitions.

This will also ensure plenty of big matches starting from the group phase. These 12 club owners wanted consistent big match, give them just that by removing their coefficient so they no longer be able to avoid other big teams during group phase.

Cloud7

Every Madrid fan that I have on my social media has been unanimously in favor of this. And I don’t mean kids, I mean adults aged 28-40. It’s weird. They really do believe that they’re above football.

mu4c_20le

Real Madrid supporters (and Perez himself) seem to think they have this god given right to just have any player they want to have and should always win every trophy and be the richest club.
I'm surprised you and many others are only just starting to realize (or remember) this. The handful of Madrid fans on this forum do not represent the match going, handkerchief waving, whistling cnuts who really do think they have a god given right to dominate Spanish football.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
These three teams have had somewhat of a hegemony in their respective leagues. They want a continuation of riches.

Have the Spanish teams & Juve ejected yet, or are they still associated with SL?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Every Madrid fan that I have on my social media has been unanimously in favor of this. And I don’t mean kids, I mean adults aged 28-40. It’s weird. They really do believe that they’re above football.
What are their rationalizations?

shahzy

The 12/15 are so stupid it's unbelievable tbh. If they had sold this as a revamped CL and relegation was involved, then everyone would have lapped it up.

Okay, let's make it based on history, fine. Clubs that finish below 10th are relegated from it and replaced by clubs that finished 1st and 2nd in the big 5 leagues. If all of those clubs are already in it, go to the 3rd and 4th place club and base it on country coefficient or something. Or the 3rd and 4th placed clubs from around the European leagues take part in a Europa League style tournament/version of the ESL for entry into the ESL during the 3rd season. That way you have a shake up of the participants every 3 years. Imagine Leicester facing all of the top European sides rather than Copenhangen and Club Brugge.

How I see it:

First season of ESL alone
Second season of ESL combined with a UEFA Cup league with teams that finished 3rd/4th in their respective leagues. Relegation kicks in for the first time for the ESL. Perhaps the teams that finished in the bottom in the first season start off with a points deduction or can't choose the order of the away/home matches. Clubs are relegated from and promoted to the ESL
Third Season New look ESL with promoted teams.

And Bob's your uncle.

UEFA have diluted the competition too much and this lot had a chance to make it elite again but blew it by not wanting anyone else to participate or basing it on merit.
I think they wanted guarenteed money with no chance of failure. Pathetic really but they wanted no risk ie: no relegation.

I agree with your idea though. A revamped CL with teams coming in and out and getting in on merit and not wasting time with the group stage games (as there is less teams involved in the first place) would be applauded. That's what the fans want the CL to be now instead UEFA increasing the size of it..

ti vu

What are their rationalizations?
They may not tell you straight away, but it's " they're losing ground to the like of PSG, due to FFP is this useless". Remember their model is based on getting the best players there is. Competing with oil money in long term is impossible with self generating revenue, and the way CL (TV) money distributed.

I think there is truth in this. We all heard about this article https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41695802.amp

So it costs a lot to try to go deep or win CL, but UEFA formula to distribute the money may leave the winner with less money than a lesser teams. In other words, those cash cow teams for UEFA ain't paid fair enough for their contribution. It's tough enough to compete against oil money(1). A few misstep season (missing out CL football), may be the beginning of the end for them, with them not generating enough revenue for their expense for their ambition.(2). Teams that draw huge crowds yet not playing in the most prestige competition is waste chance to make money for not only themselves, but other teams in the competition(3).

These 3 points are the key point of this ESL. The TV money will be distributed fairly based on contribution (attracting more crowd). Popular teams are ensured entry, so they can have money to upkeep their teams (in reality among these teams there are some teams, that don't want to spend all the money on their teams); and their popularity would help boosting the profile of the competition, thus earning more money for them, and other teams in the competition.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They may not tell you straight away, but it's " they're losing ground to the like of PSG, due to FFP is this useless". Remember their model is based on getting the best players there is. Competing with oil money in long term is impossible with self generating revenue, and the way CL (TV) money distributed.

I think there is truth in this. We all heard about this article https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41695802.amp

So it costs a lot to try to go deep or win CL, but UEFA formula to distribute the money may leave the winner with less money than a lesser teams. In other words, those cash cow teams for UEFA ain't paid fair enough for their contribution. It's tough enough to compete against oil money(1). A few misstep season (missing out CL football), may be the beginning of the end for them, with them not generating enough revenue for their expense for their ambition.(2). Teams that draw huge crowds yet not playing in the most prestige competition is waste chance to make money for not only themselves, but other teams in the competition(3).

These 3 points are the key point of this ESL. The TV money will be distributed fairly based on contribution (attracting more crowd). Popular teams are ensured entry, so they can have money to upkeep their teams (in reality among these teams there are some teams, that don't want to spend all the money on their teams); and their popularity would help boosting the profile of the competition, thus earning more money for them, and other teams in the competition.
Thanks!

Abizzz

You're basically a Trump voter. Not watched a game in 4 years but wants to feck up the entirety of European football because, well, because. Fecking hell and Perez wanted to make the likes of that the focus of the new league :lol:

LordNinio

Likely Glazers. We need to turf them out
I don't even understand what this means, but its definitely fecking us isn't it.
Definitely talking about city, he's talking about how the club is saying ESL would kill the domestic leagues, City have used that to back out of the deal. United wouldn't be saying that, we're one of the driving forces of the ESL plan.

Real Name

Just read some stuff Perez said and together with the stuff he said earlier (and I'm convinced one of the reasons the whole SL story fell apart is the crap he was spouting around) all I can say is: the crap he spouts from his gob is astonishing.

Teams which should have been in the league earned it on the pitch and he continues with - they have the most followers on social networks. So a team like Ajax shouldn't be there but Arsenal and Spurs should base on social networks. Proves all which is wrong in modern football. Same goes for the likes of Milan for example who just lost to Sassuolo.

And the biggest clubs being under the red shouldn't be allowed. Well mr. Perez you didnt think about that while throwing money around on shiny new players and giving them huge salaries all the while being in big debt.
He wants to continue to spend like a mad man all the while someone else pays for it. That goes for all other clubs including ours. We have spend incredible amount in the last 7, 8 years and gave huge salaries to average players.
Fergie must be livid we went to bed to that mob and I'm livid too we were the driving force in the whole story. Ed has done so much shit left right and centre and it's good he's leaving but nothing will change until Glazers go out of our club..

On the other hand Uefa isn't a good guy in all of this, on the contrary. They created this monsters by trying to implement famous FFP which was a dead letter on a paper in the end.
PL too by allowing states, billionaires and whoever wants to club to come to the league, take control of the clubs without any control or restriction.

I dont like new CL format either, it was created to suit the big clubs but they want some more power. I'm old school, CL should have stayed in a 16 champions format, hell its called Champions league after all. If not current format wasnt that bad they needed to scrap it once again.
And Ceferin who was all about how big snakes Ed and Agnelli are was more than happy to say how City is important to them and welcomed them back.

What to say about Fifa.. Infantino and his remarks about how Quatar arranged their human rights stuff and that 2022 will be the best WC ever. The cheek on that guy, my God.

Acole9

Outstanding
That doesn't surprise me, most Real Madrid fans I've come across are so arrogant.

The reasons why some Spanish clubs want it to happen is because they're in huge trouble financially and the standard of La Liga has dropped off.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Papers saying Woodward quit because he was against the ESL - need a rethink, maybe the Super League was a good idea after all!

JohnnyKills

@carvajal Gracias crack!

What's interesting is that he says they've been working on this for three years and it's borne out of the problems in Spanish football.

Not European football, Spanish football.

The more you read, the more it looks like this is a Spanish project and the English clubs just tacked on because they thought they could make a quick buck.

Hence why Florentino was president, hence why the league was going to be based in Spain and hence why they've still not pulled out.

Reckon we're going to see how truly fecked they are in the next few months.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

@carvajal Gracias crack!

What's interesting is that he says they've been working on this for three years and it's borne out of the problems in Spanish football.

The more you read, the more it looks like this is a Spanish project and the English clubs just tacked on because they thought they could make a quick buck.

Hence why Florentino is president, hence why the league was going to be based in Spain and hence why they've still not pulled out.

Among the many terrible aspects of The Super League one of the things that really annoyed me was that it's clear the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona are absolutely skint. La Liga has dropped well off in popularity in the last few years and both clubs are in huge trouble.

For the first time in a generation we've probably reached a point where Madrid and Barca can no longer just go and cherry pick the best players in the world.

And yet we were all in favour of joining this super league and effectively saving them. Just to make some quick money. They didn't give a shit about saving football, they just wanted to save themselves.

JohnnyKills

Among the many terrible aspects of The Super League one of the things that really annoyed me was that it's clear the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona are absolutely skint. La Liga has dropped well off in popularity in the last few years and both clubs are in huge trouble.

For the first time in a generation we've probably reached a point where Madrid and Barca can no longer just go and cherry pick the best players in the world.

And yet we were all in favour of joining this super league and effectively saving them. Just to make some quick money. They didn't give a shit about saving football, they just wanted to save themselves.
Totally.

Think we can forget Haaland going to either of those clubs this summer.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal Gracias crack!

Hence why Florentino was president, hence why the league was going to be based in Spain and hence why they've still not pulled out.

De nada socio!. Spain and Italy I would say, and Ceferin attacking Madrid is fuel for the story.
Besides, Barcelona is in the same boat (because Florentino is the face but surely 10 of those teams and some more are waiting to see what happens).
I don't think Madrid is that bad financially . I imagine that leaving a legacy, as Bernabéu did, is also an important motivation